Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007   #21
J-Russ
Hall of Fame
 
J-Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,655
Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Amobi sack today came from TJ & Mario pressuring Harrington (TJ was the first one to get to him).

Mario was getting some pressure on Harrington today, and if he was a step quicker he wouldve gotten a sack or two today. Thats starting to become a cliche for Mario.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #22
Blu
All Pro
 
Blu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Great State of Texas
Age: 39
Posts: 667
Rep Power: 11 Blu is a team player
Send a message via Yahoo to Blu
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

I really liked it when DeMeco came up, on that inside blitz.




alittle too late in this game but

If Smith would gamble more, Okoye could rack up even more tackles and sacks.


MArio over pursues a bit too much.
__________________
We need a QB con awante! y huevos !!!
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #23
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Of course Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing, but if the QB is stepping up that means the ends are helping Amobi with whis sacks...
You lost me right here...

Watch any kind of football game and QB's are always stepping up into the pocket to avoid pressure from the edge...Our DE's aren't doing anything special...

And again, I'm not saying our DE's suck...I'm just saying they aren't dominating to the point where you can credit them for someone elses success...

I just think it's diminishing how good the kid is when you say he's succeeding because of Mario...Especially since Mario hasn't done all that much...


He's leading all interior linemen in sacks...4 sacks in four games isn't accidental...Look for him to keep piling them on...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #24
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame
 
Leahmic223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,076
Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
You lost me right here...

Watch any kind of football game and QB's are always stepping up into the pocket to avoid pressure from the edge...Our DE's aren't doing anything special...

And again, I'm not saying our DE's suck...I'm just saying they aren't dominating to the point where you can credit them for someone elses success...

I just think it's diminishing how good the kid is when you say he's succeeding because of Mario...Especially since Mario hasn't done all that much...


He's leading all interior linemen in sacks...4 sacks in four games isn't accidental...Look for him to keep piling them on...

When did I say he was succeeding because of Mario. The first thing I said was Of course Amobi's getting sacks because of what he's doing, but you saying "Mario hasn't done all that much" contradicts that you are saying Mario isn't doing bad.

Apparantly that's what you think.

My point was that the dline plays as whole. Mario got a sack because of Travis in the Chiefs game.

As for the QB Stepping up its because the DEs are getting pressure. If it was the other way around he'd be rolling out wouldn't he from inside pressure? There really is no reason for him to step up if the DEs are on their back.

All in all, Mario is getting pressure, some people are never going to be happy if he doesn't get a sack a game, but I think he is playing well. Does he have flaws yeah but at the same time I just don't see the "He's not doing anything" he stopped the run on several different occasions. I am not going to just say Amobi owes it to Mario nor did I say that, I am saying the dline is a unit. There are not many good dlinemen that go out there and get sacks all by themselves. I am sitting here thinking and I can't do it.

Stroud and Henderson.
Freeney and Mathis
Vanden Bosch and Haynesworth
Osi and Strahan

Where is the single dline guy that just comes out and wrecks Olines by himself?
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #25
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
...

I think Mario is averaging roughly about .28 sacks a game for his career. What other DE have you ever witnessed come into the NFL and put up such stats as Mario has and been labled or considered a force ? I think Mario is very good for what he is, but he hasn't done much that would lead me to believe that teams are so afraid of Mario for fear of him causing havok that they allow Amobi to get easy sacks. I can almost guarantee that teams are equally concerned with Mario and Amobi on the pass rush. But Amobi is a first year DT.



Sorry...I just think you give Mario too much credit, and don't give Amobi enough...The kid is really good.

Didn't mean to upset you though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #26
rollinstone18
let it bleed
 
rollinstone18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 26
Posts: 2,483
Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Why is Okoye our sack leader?

Simple answer, because he's a stud.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #27
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame
 
Leahmic223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,076
Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I think Mario is averaging roughly about .28 sacks a game for his career. What other DE have you ever witnessed come into the NFL and put up such stats as Mario has and been labled or considered a force ? I think Mario is very good for what he is, but he hasn't done much that would lead me to believe that teams are so afraid of Mario for fear of him causing havok that they allow Amobi to get easy sacks. I can almost guarantee that teams are equally concerned with Mario and Amobi on the pass rush. But Amobi is a first year DT.



Sorry...I just think you give Mario too much credit, and don't give Amobi enough...The kid is really good.

Didn't mean to upset you though.
I am not upset at you.

I didn't give Mario more credit than he deserved, my point still stands though, the Dline is playing well as a unit. Travis has played well also and he has no sacks to show for it. I wouldn't really go with sacks to even judge linemen, I think hurries are more important.

I just think you are giving Mario little to no credit, maybe I am misunderstanding you but that is what it sounds like. Also even when Mario gets sacks some people are saying "Well he got the sack because so and so."

But once again. If the pressure is coming from the inside wouldn't the QB roll out? Also there is no reason for a QB to even step up if the DEs are getting handled. I am just reporting on what I saw and I saw Mario doing pretty well out there today AND Amobi. When did I downgrade his play? He did his job today and was there to get the sack, even though the QB steps up he still has to get off the block to make the tackle and he's doing that.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2007   #28
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 59
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.
Or it just could be that the ends are forcing the action by making the QB step up right into his path. And wrong is just plain wrong.
__________________
"Everybody understands that the only way we're going to do it is by extremely hard work."
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #29
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Katy, Texas
Age: 59
Posts: 6,644
Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I think Mario is averaging roughly about .28 sacks a game for his career. What other DE have you ever witnessed come into the NFL and put up such stats as Mario has and been labled or considered a force ? I think Mario is very good for what he is, but he hasn't done much that would lead me to believe that teams are so afraid of Mario for fear of him causing havok that they allow Amobi to get easy sacks. I can almost guarantee that teams are equally concerned with Mario and Amobi on the pass rush. But Amobi is a first year DT.



Sorry...I just think you give Mario too much credit, and don't give Amobi enough...The kid is really good.

Didn't mean to upset you though.
The kid is realy good because the tackles are forced to move to the out side and the QB must step up into the pocket. All Okoye is doing is playing pack man by splitting the DT and gobbling them up. But the Ends are doing the dirty work.

Mario is earning every penny he is being paid. But I undstand folks who have limited FB knowlege would be throwing the big fella under the buss. You don't know what you're talking about, it's somebodies fault, he is the bigest, highest paid guy on the line...Let's Lynch Mario. Got it. Mario didn't lose this game for lack of production. Kubiack and Sherman lost this game way back in training camp . And it had absolutly nothing what so ever to do with Mario.
__________________
"Everybody understands that the only way we're going to do it is by extremely hard work."
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #30
painekiller
Hall of Fame
 
painekiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: On the West Belt
Age: 52
Posts: 2,063
Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.
I'll give you Mario is not a natural. I'll give you Okoye has a none stop motor. But I disagree you with on your conclusion. I think Mario and Orr, when he is in the game, are getting good pressure, and they are forcing the QB up into the pocket. Now a super pass rusher will beat their man more then Mario and Orr, but they get solid pressure.

The difference I see, is Okoye has the athletic ability to get off his man and close to the QB. He is benefiting from playing next to Mario more than Mario is next to him right now.

The NFL is anything but dumb and they will soon start adjusting to the young fellow, and we may see Mario go thru one of his streaks, or then again maybe not. We all need to remember these two guys are both under 22 years old, and in two years they should be a force, and Travis Johnson can maintain his current level against the run, we are one RDE away from a super front four (I still see Mario as a true LDE).

Sorry I posted this before reading to the end ,and threetoe has already stated my conclusions.

Last edited by painekiller; 10-01-2007 at 05:12 AM. Reason: added last line
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #31
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,961
Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

The ends are forcing the QB to step up into the pocket & Amobi's cleaning them up. As long as he can see the QB in front of him, he's going to keep going.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #32
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame
 
Texans Horror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 40
Posts: 2,303
Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Okoye kicks ass.

But beyond that, I think there is another reason he is doing so well, and that is that the rest of the line is doing well. Put a rookie first rounder in a crappy line, and he is going to have a hard time making an impact. This is what was happening for the Texans over the past few years. This year, though, TJ is playing with a fire under him, and Mario has a year's experience. So while I think almost all the credit has to go to Okoye, I think at least a small part of the equation is that he is coming into a much better line than either of the other two were coming into.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #33
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog
 
HoustonFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Age: 44
Posts: 12,418
Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

You know how they restore cars by putting in another motor?Well if you put Okoyes motor in some of our other D-linemen we might be better off. Some guys have it, some don't. The kid can play and at a position where he should be getting killed for his age and experience he is actually a quick learner.
__________________
Desperation is a stinky cologne. -Super Troopers

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 10-01-2007 at 11:01 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #34
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
The kid is realy good because the tackles are forced to move to the out side and the QB must step up into the pocket. All Okoye is doing is playing pack man by splitting the DT and gobbling them up. But the Ends are doing the dirty work.
Amobi is good because Amobi is good.

Sorry to break it to you, but our DE's aren't really doing anything special.

Making a QB "step up into the pocket" is nothing...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #35
Mr teX
Hall of Fame
 
Mr teX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Everyone Wants The Throne
Posts: 7,961
Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Amobi is good because Amobi is good.

Sorry to break it to you, but our DE's aren't really doing anything special.

Making a QB "step up into the pocket" is nothing...
Nothing any of our D-linemen are doing is special, they are all doing what they're supposed to do. Amobi is just the guy coming up with the sacks now. How's the saying go... sacks come in bunches.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #36
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog
 
HoustonFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
Age: 44
Posts: 12,418
Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Amobi is good because Amobi is good.

Sorry to break it to you, but our DE's aren't really doing anything special.

Making a QB "step up into the pocket" is nothing...
I agree on the DE front. Mario still isn't commanding double teams on mnay occassions and one guy is handling him or pusshing him off the line. I just think Akoye is who we thought he was and is ahead of schedule.
__________________
Desperation is a stinky cologne. -Super Troopers
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #37
eriadoc
Texan-American
 
eriadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,617
Rep Power: 281570 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
why is okoye the sack leader?

1-because he plays hard
1a-because he plays around people that play hard and unselfishly
This post should have ended the thread. Rep.
__________________
A real MVP contributes in all phases of the game.
eriadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #38
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame
 
Leahmic223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,076
Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Amobi is good because Amobi is good.

Sorry to break it to you, but our DE's aren't really doing anything special.

Making a QB "step up into the pocket" is nothing...
Yet you still ignore the fact that if the pressure was coming from the inside that the QB would roll out not step up. (Well Carr would actually step up.)
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #39
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Yet you still ignore the fact that if the pressure was coming from the inside that the QB would roll out not step up. (Well Carr would actually step up.)
I ignored that "fact" because it's not a fact and I just chalked it up to limited knowledge.

QB's step up into the pocket because that is what they are supposed to do.


If your QB is rolling out everytime a D-lineman gets pressure up the middle, odds are his name is David Carr.

What most starting QB's in the NFL do is side step or slightly move within the pocket. They don't go running towards the sidelines everytime a DT breaks through.

Last edited by real; 10-01-2007 at 02:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #40
Bohunk
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 20
Rep Power: 0 Bohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Most teams have still be keying on Mario and so Mobi was somewhat under the radar. What with him being only 20, most O-lineman thought they were going to be able to school him pretty easily. As the realization sinks in that he's the real deal and he gets more double teams it will open up the DEs to wreak more havoc.
Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger