Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

I think its a fair question, and not because he's a 20-year-old rookie, but because he's playing on the inside of the DLine as DTs do in the 4-3 and not on the edge where DEs do who are usually a teams sack leaders.
Is it just too early in the season to reach conclusions, or maybe he's just that good, maybe more than even his biggest supporters expected ?
Or maybe he's benefiting more from playing next to Mario than Mario is from playing next to him ?
Or maybe Mario and strongside DE Weaver just aren't contibuting as much as we'd expect them to ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #2
real

Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Said it a long time ago and I'll say it again. Amobi is our best pass rusher.
Old 09-30-2007   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

He is in a good spot. We have a very good Dline, and there is just too many people to block. Add Okoye's athletism, and there's your answer.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think its a fair question, and not because he's a 20-year-old rookie, but because he's playing on the inside of the DLine as DTs do in the 4-3 and not on the edge where DEs do who are usually a teams sack leaders.
Is it just too early in the season to reach conclusions, or maybe he's just that good, maybe more than even his biggest supporters expected ?
Or maybe he's benefiting more from playing next to Mario than Mario is from playing next to him ?
Or maybe Mario and strongside DE Weaver just aren't contibuting as much as we'd expect them to ?
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #5
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they all feed off each other. I don't care who gets the sack as long as they get it. I just want the DL to work as a team and so far they've done the job.

I don't care about stats, I want to see results and the DL's been stuffing the run so I'm happy. I would like to see TJ in the back field more but I do see MW playing with intensity which I think is what's helping Amobi get some sacks. Kid's putting up monster numbers for a DT though. I can't imagine what he'll do in 5 or so years, he'll be a monster.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
A little bit of everything. I don't think many people expected for Amobi to do as well as he has done thus far. Clearly having Mario on your team is giving him a little help. However, he has looked great so far and is already at 4 sacks, which is wonderful to see. Go Amobi!

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.
i would think it helps that he plays next to mario, mario drew double teams last year and we had no one on the inside to capitolize, great d-lines play off each other, sacks are overrated anyways, it's all about qb pressures, would you rather have your d-line post 1 sack in a game or have 8 qb pressures as a group?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2007   #8
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 52 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario and others chase the quarterback from the outside and Okoye times them on the inside.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

At least two of Okoye's sacks have come from the QB stepping up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Take from that what you will.
Old 09-30-2007   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At least two of Okoye's sacks have come from the QB stepping up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Take from that what you will.
I'm glad someone else is noticing that. Thank you. A rep for you.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is because Okoye plays with high energy. He is also atheltic on the football field, as opposed to someplace like a track.
Old 09-30-2007   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think it is because Okoye plays with high energy...
Bingo! A good motor will take you far in the NFL. I think he does benefit from having Mario there to some extent but the single biggest thing is his motor. He just won't be denied on some plays. If anything I think that someday, if Mario does end up with a respectable pile of sacks it may be because he plays beside Okoye and not the other way around.
Old 09-30-2007   #13
TexansMVP
Probowler

One thing that did impress me w/ Okoye is that both his sacks last week as well as the one today all came on 3rd and about 10. He has a knack on making a good play when it counts. Keep this effort up and he could very well reach his goal of keeping the DROY award in Houston.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #14
jaybird
Veteran

He's very good and is benefiting from having some good guys around him. Mario is still getting doubled which frees up Okoye
Old 09-30-2007   #15
real

I think it diminishes Okoye's talent when you say he is getting sacks because of what someone else is doing.

Amobi is really good. He gets sacks because he is really good.

A lot of players have a high motor. A lot of players are quick.

Look at how Amobi deals with the interior linemen that try to block him. He has so many pass rushing moves it's ridiculous.

I think from a technical standpoint Amobi is way ahead of the game. He has good timing, good quickness, and he is pretty strong.

I'm not saying Mario or anyone else sucks by any means, but Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing....

Yeah a DE can make a QB step up...But not just any DT can be there and make the tackle when he does step up...
Old 09-30-2007   #16
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Mobi is a Beast!
Old 09-30-2007   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's what I've been seeing. The QB steps up to get away from Mario or N.D. and Amobi cleans up.

The non-stop motor he's got doesn't hurt
;o)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #18
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I think it diminishes Okoye's talent when you say he is getting sacks because of what someone else is doing.

Amobi is really good. He gets sacks because he is really good.

A lot of players have a high motor. A lot of players are quick.

Look at how Amobi deals with the interior linemen that try to block him. He has so many pass rushing moves it's ridiculous.

I think from a technical standpoint Amobi is way ahead of the game. He has good timing, good quickness, and he is pretty strong.

I'm not saying Mario or anyone else sucks by any means, but Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing....

Yeah a DE can make a QB step up...But not just any DT can be there and make the tackle when he does step up...
Of course Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing, but if the QB is stepping up that means the ends are helping Amobi with whis sacks...just like Mario got a sack off someone else's work because he never gave up on a play.

The Dline works as a whole IMO, when everyone plays well than one or two linemen will benefit from it sack wise. Besides that Mario made some good plays stopping the run today and I think he didn't do bad.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Probably has more to do with it being only week 4.
Old 09-30-2007   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, Amobi beniefits alot from QB's having to step up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read