Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read


Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007   #1
nunusguy
Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,991
Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

I think its a fair question, and not because he's a 20-year-old rookie, but because he's playing on the inside of the DLine as DTs do in the 4-3 and not on the edge where DEs do who are usually a teams sack leaders.
Is it just too early in the season to reach conclusions, or maybe he's just that good, maybe more than even his biggest supporters expected ?
Or maybe he's benefiting more from playing next to Mario than Mario is from playing next to him ?
Or maybe Mario and strongside DE Weaver just aren't contibuting as much as we'd expect them to ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #2
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Said it a long time ago and I'll say it again. Amobi is our best pass rusher.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #3
rmartin65
I'm Score
 
rmartin65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 24
Posts: 7,980
Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

He is in a good spot. We have a very good Dline, and there is just too many people to block. Add Okoye's athletism, and there's your answer.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan
 
Vinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 50
Posts: 21,847
Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think its a fair question, and not because he's a 20-year-old rookie, but because he's playing on the inside of the DLine as DTs do in the 4-3 and not on the edge where DEs do who are usually a teams sack leaders.
Is it just too early in the season to reach conclusions, or maybe he's just that good, maybe more than even his biggest supporters expected ?
Or maybe he's benefiting more from playing next to Mario than Mario is from playing next to him ?
Or maybe Mario and strongside DE Weaver just aren't contibuting as much as we'd expect them to ?
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.
__________________
http://twitter.com/#!/TexansTalk


"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #5
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame
 
TheIronDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 4,190
Rep Power: 102895 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

I think they all feed off each other. I don't care who gets the sack as long as they get it. I just want the DL to work as a team and so far they've done the job.

I don't care about stats, I want to see results and the DL's been stuffing the run so I'm happy. I would like to see TJ in the back field more but I do see MW playing with intensity which I think is what's helping Amobi get some sacks. Kid's putting up monster numbers for a DT though. I can't imagine what he'll do in 5 or so years, he'll be a monster.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru
 
awtysst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,611
Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I think its a fair question, and not because he's a 20-year-old rookie, but because he's playing on the inside of the DLine as DTs do in the 4-3 and not on the edge where DEs do who are usually a teams sack leaders.
Is it just too early in the season to reach conclusions, or maybe he's just that good, maybe more than even his biggest supporters expected ?
Or maybe he's benefiting more from playing next to Mario than Mario is from playing next to him ?
Or maybe Mario and strongside DE Weaver just aren't contibuting as much as we'd expect them to ?
A little bit of everything. I don't think many people expected for Amobi to do as well as he has done thus far. Clearly having Mario on your team is giving him a little help. However, he has looked great so far and is already at 4 sacks, which is wonderful to see. Go Amobi!
__________________
Draft Guru: 91.43% accuracy through first 35 picks from 2006-present

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor
 
ATXtexanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: leander, tx
Age: 37
Posts: 3,527
Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.
i would think it helps that he plays next to mario, mario drew double teams last year and we had no one on the inside to capitolize, great d-lines play off each other, sacks are overrated anyways, it's all about qb pressures, would you rather have your d-line post 1 sack in a game or have 8 qb pressures as a group?
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2007   #8
Spled
All Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 773
Rep Power: 52 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Mario and others chase the quarterback from the outside and Okoye times them on the inside.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #9
eriadoc
Texan-American
 
eriadoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,654
Rep Power: 298503 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

At least two of Okoye's sacks have come from the QB stepping up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Take from that what you will.
__________________
A real MVP contributes in all phases of the game.
eriadoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man
 
Thorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Houston
Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Age: 63
Posts: 22,741
Rep Power: 318355 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At least two of Okoye's sacks have come from the QB stepping up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Take from that what you will.
I'm glad someone else is noticing that. Thank you. A rep for you.
__________________


"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond
 
Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,042
Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

I think it is because Okoye plays with high energy. He is also atheltic on the football field, as opposed to someplace like a track.
__________________
Amy glances out the window; her hair, skin, and clothes take on a pronounced reddish tinge from Doppler effect as she drops out of the conversation at relativistic velocity. - Cryptonomicon
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track
 
Hervoyel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 49
Posts: 15,083
Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
I think it is because Okoye plays with high energy...
Bingo! A good motor will take you far in the NFL. I think he does benefit from having Mario there to some extent but the single biggest thing is his motor. He just won't be denied on some plays. If anything I think that someday, if Mario does end up with a respectable pile of sacks it may be because he plays beside Okoye and not the other way around.
__________________
Fitz makes bad decisions. That's not going to change.
Hervoyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #13
TexansMVP
Probowler
 
TexansMVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 32
Posts: 294
Rep Power: 10 TexansMVP is a fan favorite
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

One thing that did impress me w/ Okoye is that both his sacks last week as well as the one today all came on 3rd and about 10. He has a knack on making a good play when it counts. Keep this effort up and he could very well reach his goal of keeping the DROY award in Houston.
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #14
jaybird
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 167
Rep Power: 8 jaybird is ridin' the pine
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

He's very good and is benefiting from having some good guys around him. Mario is still getting doubled which frees up Okoye
__________________
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #15
real
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

I think it diminishes Okoye's talent when you say he is getting sacks because of what someone else is doing.

Amobi is really good. He gets sacks because he is really good.

A lot of players have a high motor. A lot of players are quick.


Look at how Amobi deals with the interior linemen that try to block him. He has so many pass rushing moves it's ridiculous.

I think from a technical standpoint Amobi is way ahead of the game. He has good timing, good quickness, and he is pretty strong.

I'm not saying Mario or anyone else sucks by any means, but Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing....

Yeah a DE can make a QB step up...But not just any DT can be there and make the tackle when he does step up...
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #16
Hook'er
Veteran
 
Hook'er's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Leander
Posts: 300
Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Mobi is a Beast!
__________________
RunningTheSouth
Hook'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor
 
ObsiWan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: League City, Tx
Age: 63
Posts: 15,265
Rep Power: 293364 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
At least two of Okoye's sacks have come from the QB stepping up into the pocket to avoid Mario. Take from that what you will.
That's what I've been seeing. The QB steps up to get away from Mario or N.D. and Amobi cleans up.

The non-stop motor he's got doesn't hurt
;o)
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #18
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame
 
Leahmic223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,076
Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I think it diminishes Okoye's talent when you say he is getting sacks because of what someone else is doing.

Amobi is really good. He gets sacks because he is really good.

A lot of players have a high motor. A lot of players are quick.


Look at how Amobi deals with the interior linemen that try to block him. He has so many pass rushing moves it's ridiculous.

I think from a technical standpoint Amobi is way ahead of the game. He has good timing, good quickness, and he is pretty strong.

I'm not saying Mario or anyone else sucks by any means, but Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing....

Yeah a DE can make a QB step up...But not just any DT can be there and make the tackle when he does step up...
Of course Amobi is getting sacks because of what he's doing, but if the QB is stepping up that means the ends are helping Amobi with whis sacks...just like Mario got a sack off someone else's work because he never gave up on a play.

The Dline works as a whole IMO, when everyone plays well than one or two linemen will benefit from it sack wise. Besides that Mario made some good plays stopping the run today and I think he didn't do bad.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins
 
thunderkyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 36,490
Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Probably cause our ends aren't good pass rushers and Okoye has a good motor and doesn't give up on plays...many inside sacks come from persistence. He's living up to his billing...Mario isn't.
Probably has more to do with it being only week 4.
__________________
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame
 
BigBull17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Alvin
Age: 33
Posts: 5,103
Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Thoughts on why Okoye is our Sack leader ?

Yeah, Amobi beniefits alot from QB's having to step up.
__________________
There are no strings on me.
BigBull17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Ad Management by RedTyger