Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2007   #1
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default This loss is on the defense

With all the injuries on offense, they played about as well as too be expected. The defense on the hand, didn't force any turnovers and failed to get the falcons off the field on third downs. Really disappointed in our "D". This was their chance to step up and carry the team to a "W". We need help in the secondary, thats for sure.
Old 09-30-2007   #2
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: This loss is on the defense

Really disappointed in the guy who was calling the defense play. When is Frank Bush taking over?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #3
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Really disappointed in the guy who was calling the defense play. When is Frank Bush taking over?
Ya, you could easily read when the blitz was coming. Did they blitz from Harrington's blind side the entire game?
Old 09-30-2007   #4
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think so. The offense turned the ball over twice. The D held the Falcons to field goals for the most part. I wish they could've had a couple of more sacks and maybe force a turnover at some point. I'm not totally embarrassed by the defense today, though.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #5
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

The offense didn't do much either outside of Schaub and Davis.

The reason the Falcons moved the ball so well because someone thought it was necessary to blitz more than often. I can understand trying to get to Harrington...but it wasn't working. Our defense has the talent, but it is the coaches job IMO to put the players in the right spots. I may be wrong about the blitz, but it seemed we blitzed too much and Harrington was having a field day.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #6
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

This loss has to be on the defensive playcalling more so than the defense itself. There seemed to be a lot of blitzes that Harrington saw and checked down on and we would get burned. I have no problem with blitzes but we made Harrington look really good with all the dump passes he made which kept moving the chains.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #7
TexansFaninNC
Rookie

It was tough, but you give a QB like Harrington time, he will pick you apart.
TexansFaninNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2007   #8
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
With all the injuries on offense, they played about as well as too be expected. The defense on the hand, didn't force any turnovers and failed to get the falcons off the field on third downs. Really disappointed in our "D". This was their chance to step up and carry the team to a "W". We need help in the secondary, thats for sure.
Although I agree with you 100% regarind the defense, I expected more than one freaking touchdown from our offense.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #9
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I have to agree with you on this one. The defense could not get a stop today when they needed it. The score could have been worse if it weren't for a bad penalty call Dunn...they would have likely scored a TD on that series that they settled for a field goal. Watching the game, I never felt like we were going to get the stop, even when it was third and long. Our D line played average against a team that has given up a ton of sacks to date.

It is hard to expect a lot out of the offense with so many weapons out, but we just played so bad at times, the injuries are no excuse. Our offensive line can't get the push needed to get the first on third and short situations. We seem to be able to move the ball well between the 20s, but just can't seem to get the ball in when we get in the red zone.

I need to step away from the computer. I still feel comfortable that we are headed in the right direction, but I am extremely disappointed in the WAY that we lost this game.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #10
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I have to agree with you on this one. The defense could not get a stop today when they needed it. The score could have been worse if it weren't for a bad penalty call Dunn...they would have likely scored a TD on that series that they settled for a field goal. Watching the game, I never felt like we were going to get the stop, even when it was third and long. Our D line played average against a team that has given up a ton of sacks to date.

It is hard to expect a lot out of the offense with so many weapons out, but we just played so bad at times, the injuries are no excuse. Our offensive line can't get the push needed to get the first on third and short situations. We seem to be able to move the ball well between the 20s, but just can't seem to get the ball in when we get in the red zone.

I need to step away from the computer. I still feel comfortable that we are headed in the right direction, but I am extremely disappointed in the WAY that we lost this game.

Don't worry man, seasons not over and I think we ARE headed in the right direction...I mean Casserly,Capers, and Carr are gone...that's good enough for now.

We are just a few pieces away...a safety, corner, and a RB IMO. I think a big reason our defense did so bad was the playcalling. We definitely have the talent from our front 7...that secondary though...
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #11
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

coaching to blame for this one so far as i'm concerned, offensive and defensive
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #12
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Blame it on the defense all you want, but in the first half...nothing transpired between the offense and the defense.

The offense and the playcalling left the defense on a island. Plain and simple. 21 let the Texans down a couple of plays.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #13
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

We did seem to get beat on a blitz call for a first down on pretty much every Falcons drive. DeMeco played well IMO, his sack was pure skill on his part. Amobi played quite well. I wish the D-line as a whole could have played a bit better against the run like we have seen them do the previous games. Our secondary was absolutely terrible. Outside a few open field tackles for either no gain or a gain of little yards by Dunta, I didn't see the secondary making any plays. The Falcons mediocre receivers seemed to make plays on our secondary all game long. I hope to see Boulware getting significant playing time as well as Demps because while Hutchins made some plays tackling the first few weeks he was pretty poor in coverage today. C.C. I didn't notice much. A offense like the Falcons and their short passes need to be stopped by our 4 guys in the secondary. They were putting pressure on our safeties all game with a mediocre passing attack throwing alot of short range passing and our secondary didn't make any plays. That's not good; I really hope this doesn't become a reoccuring theme because our front 7 is pretty stout. Those guys deserve some help in the secondary and if we can't get help from these guys it's going to be a long season.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #14
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 7306 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Penalties and turnovers lost the game today, it was a combined botched effort on both sides of the ball as far as I could tell.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #15
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

If Richard Smith had swapped his playcalling strategies for Indy with his ones for Atlanta, we could have won both games.

Not blitzing and dropping back in coverage is impossible given that Manning can pick apart a secondary with time to throw (and also doesn't make sense when you know the best way to get into the psyche of Peyton is to keep in his face), and blitzing is pretty tough when Harrington is now getting rid of the ball very quickly thanks to some mid-September adjustments by his new HC.

I blame this one on coaching (about 75%) and stupid penalties (about 25%).
Old 09-30-2007   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I just happened to listen to Texas coach Mac Brown yesterday while I was driving to the store, just after the Longhorns loss.

He said, "If the team wins, it's the players' fault. If the team loses, it's the coach's fault."
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #17
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
This loss has to be on the defensive playcalling more so than the defense itself. There seemed to be a lot of blitzes that Harrington saw and checked down on and we would get burned. I have no problem with blitzes but we made Harrington look really good with all the dump passes he made which kept moving the chains.
Notice in the 4thQ. The LBs would show blitz. The Harrington would check off and then we would call the blitz off. We started rattling him then. Why didn't we start that earlier?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #18
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

It was Faggins, a couple of BS calls by the refs, Salaam's poor blocking and holding on the TD to Walter, and the horrible play calling by Kubiack, expecially inside the 20.

I think the coaching was the main reason.
Old 09-30-2007   #19
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

i gotta say alot goes to the D but if your offense can not convert on multiple 3rd and 1 (or 2) your not gonna win...bad game all around, its just a bump in the road we got the dolphins next week @home, and then the jags...hopefully our offense will be back together by then and we will have a different #2 CB
Old 09-30-2007   #20
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I missed the final quarter and a half of the game. I just sped through it on my DVR. I don't know about the defense, but Salaam was getting a lot of camera time.

The offense scored one touchdown against KC too. That is two out of four games with limited touchdown production. The offense is still a work in progress, even allowing for the injuries. The line needs to play better for sure, and it is obvious we have little depth at some key positions.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read