Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2007   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Winners Don't "lose"

I know that a number of unfortunate injuries have occured leading up to this game........key injuries........multiple injuries, decimating our regular line up........and, and in some cases, known commodity depth. And, over the past week, I have seen many fans presenting posts that appear to to be "preparation" just in case we lose to the Falcons............some overt not-so-veiled excuses for why we may lose................and other poorly or even cleverly-veiled excuses that would make the loss seem not all that unexpected..........and certainly nothing to be upset with. Come on guys, let's be honest for once, we're facing a team that has more clipped birds (with little hope for rehabilitation any time soon) coming out of TC than we would ever think of trading places with..........even today. Yes, in some positions, we're down to the 3rd and 4th teamers...........but we have got to learn to become those "winners" that we always look up to..................And winners tend to always dig down deep not only into their pile of unknowns, but where each man still standing finds a way to dig down deeper than they thought they ever could to make up for the adversities that have befallen their team. Yes, losers continue to lose, and try to make themselves feel better about their last loss and by making their "preparations" for the next loss...........and winners simply find a way not to lose..............and, inspite of all odds, "prepare" for their next win. It's time that we understand that now WE ARE THOSE WINNERS that we once only dreamed of becoming.

To be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Vince Lombardi
When building a team, I always search first for people who love to win. If I can't find any of those, I look for people who hate to lose.
H. Ross Perot
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Winners Don't "lose"

I agree with your sentiment.

Perot is a clown. That quote is often thrown around at my office by people who never competed mentally and physically. Lombardi got it right as usual.
Old 09-30-2007   #3
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1228 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Winners Don't "lose"

Great post CloakNNNdagger, rep coming your way. You're right it really doesn't matter who we have in our line up just as long as they are "winnner's" or have the attitude that we are going in there and we are gonna win thats plain and simple no excuses.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #4
Beer and Metal
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24254 Beer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respectedBeer and Metal is a quality contributor and well respected

" You hear that suckin' sound? That's the sound of the team formerly lead by Ron Mexico".

Possibly said by Perot?
Old 09-30-2007   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting post. But the fact of the matter is, it takes more than a "winning attitude". Our guys have that now. We need our weapons. We're going into a gunfight armed with a knife. Now if we can get the jump on em we can win. But it won't be easy.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #6
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Two weeks ago I thought we would roll the Falcons. Now, I feel we will win close.

I do not accept failure, and as you made reference to above, it is not going to cut it.

If we don't win today, there are NO excuses and we are really not the team we believed we were. A win or loss today is on the coaches and their game preperation and I don't see Gary letting us down.
Old 09-30-2007   #7
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Interesting post. But the fact of the matter is, it takes more than a "winning attitude". Our guys have that now. We need our weapons. We're going into a gunfight armed with a knife.
Both teams are carrying knives, we just need our's to be more sharp.

We used the analogy in basketball that our team had to step on the court not as five fingers extended on a hand, but closed as a fist. The sum of the parts working in concert based on their preparation, conditioning and execution will always put a team in position to win regardless of talent gaps, in my experience.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 09-30-2007 at 10:53 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-30-2007   #8
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9888 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Thumbs up Re: Winners Don't "lose"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I know that a number of unfortunate injuries have occured leading up to this game........key injuries........multiple injuries, decimating our regular line up........and, and in some cases, known commodity depth. And, over the past week, I have seen many fans presenting posts that appear to to be "preparation" just in case we lose to the Falcons............some overt not-so-veiled excuses for why we may lose................and other poorly or even cleverly-veiled excuses that would make the loss seem not all that unexpected..........and certainly nothing to be upset with. Come on guys, let's be honest for once, we're facing a team that has more clipped birds (with little hope for rehabilitation any time soon) coming out of TC than we would ever think of trading places with..........even today. Yes, in some positions, we're down to the 3rd and 4th teamers...........but we have got to learn to become those "winners" that we always look up to..................And winners tend to always dig down deep not only into their pile of unknowns, but where each man still standing finds a way to dig down deeper than they thought they ever could to make up for the adversities that have befallen their team. Yes, losers continue to lose, and try to make themselves feel better about their last loss and by making their "preparations" for the next loss...........and winners simply find a way not to lose..............and, inspite of all odds, "prepare" for their next win. It's time that we understand that now WE ARE THOSE WINNERS that we once only dreamed of becoming.

To be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.
Vince Lombardi
When building a team, I always search first for people who love to win. If I can't find any of those, I look for people who hate to lose.
H. Ross Perot

Totally agree. A win today will mean a lot more than the win against the Chiefs
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #9
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Both team's are carrying knives, we just need our's to be more sharp.

We used the analogy in basketball that our team had to step on the court not as five fingers extended on a hand, but closed as a fist. The sum of the parts working in concert based on their preparation, conditioning and execution will always put a team in position to win regardless of talent gaps, in my experience.
I think you're onto something. When one piece of the whole isn't functioning at its best, some other piece needs to step up and take up the slack.

IMHO, the defense will need to carry the day. Stay in Joey-boy's face all day and don't let him get in rhythm - he had 350 yds passing last week, we can't have that. Stop the run. Force turnovers and give our offense a short field. If we do that, we can win.

Our defense has got to be the sharper knife.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91312 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I dunno know.

But after reading through this thread, I do know that all of you are worried.

As you should be.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 199341 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

What we are trying to build is a tradition of winning .

If you have that tradition then retreating is not an option .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #12
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hot is not Cold!

Black is not White!

Up is not down!

Boy this is easy.

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #13
gwallaia

Rep Power: 82734 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I am reminded of the stupid thread started earlier in the week where someone asked if this was a trap game for the Texans. A trap game? Oh brother.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #14
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought everyone who say the Falcons were a trap game was an idoit, boy I feel dumb. Our offense didn't lose the game though, the defense did. I thought we were top ten in D? Bull
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read