Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2007   #1
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chronicle article on DeMarcus Faggins

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5171487.html

Nice to hear how he's handling the criticism.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #2
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP
Default Re: Chronicle article on DeMarcus Faggins

In my opinion, there's a reason that Petey is an original Texan who is still around and still starting. Smith and Kubiak have done a pretty darn good job of getting rid of the dead weight, and for Petey to be sticking around with Pitts and Weary, I think that says something.

He had a good game against Marvin Harrison last week.
Old 09-28-2007   #3
real

Petey had an awful game last week. Addai jumping over his head for a TD, Petey losing contain for another Addai score. And then he gave huge cushions on downs that we needed tight coverage.

If the Colts need 6 yards for a first down, it's not very smart to give a 7 yard cushion.

Having said that, there isn't a corner on the team that'd I rather run out there in his place.
Old 09-28-2007   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
If the Colts need 6 yards for a first down, it's not very smart to give a 7 yard cushion.
Turn your attention to John Hoke then. If that hadn't been his decision, he would have jumped Petey's butt after the 1st time it happened and he wouldn't have continued to play that far off for the remainder of the game.
Old 09-28-2007   #5
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Turn your attention to John Hoke then. If that hadn't been his decision, he would have jumped Petey's butt after the 1st time it happened and he wouldn't have continued to play that far off for the remainder of the game.
Hoke acknowledged that Petey was playing too far off in the article.

Quote:
Asked why Faggins frequently appears to give the receiver excessive wiggle room, Hoke answered, "Some of it is by design." But he also conceded, "There were plays (against the Colts) where we were playing zone technique and he kind of carried it over to man coverage. So, yes, in those situations, he got too far off."
It's not that easy to make coaching critiques like that in the game. Some things are better corrected and noticed by coaches after watching film.
Old 09-28-2007   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
From reading this little snippet from Chron.com, it sounds like Hoke had them playing that way. Hoke also pointed out that Petey made mistakes as well. I would have to hope the Colts final 1st down to Harrison was Faggins fault. If not, it was a bad coverage called by the coaches.

Quote:
Asked why Faggins frequently appears to give the receiver excessive wiggle room, Hoke answered, "Some of it is by design." But he also conceded, "There were plays (against the Colts) where we were playing zone technique and he kind of carried it over to man coverage. So, yes, in those situations, he got too far off."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5171487.html
Old 09-28-2007   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hoke acknowledged that Petey was playing too far off in the article.

It's not that easy to make coaching critiques like that in the game. Some things are better corrected and noticed by coaches after watching film.
He isn't referring to cushion at the snap in that quote--he is referring to permitting gaps down field when in man coverage as if it is a zone and there is someone to pick up the WR.

It is very easy to spot the cushion at the snap by eyeball much less the overheads they receive throughout the game of every play.
Old 09-28-2007   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Petey had an awful game last week. Addai jumping over his head for a TD
Yep . Peety went low just like you were taught to do . Stop a guy's legs and you stop him ..... Addai made a nice play getting those last three yards in the air . No one else got near him until he had already crossed the goal line .

What the Texans do in the early part of next years draft will tell a lot about how the coaches feel about Faggins play . I'd wager at this point that he's the starter next year barring they pick up someone via FA .... I dont see a rookie coming in and taking his job .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #9
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 169179 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Yep . Peety went low just like you were taught to do . Stop a guy's legs and you stop him ..... Addai made a nice play getting those last three yards in the air . No one else got near him until he had already crossed the goal line .

What the Texans do in the early part of next years draft will tell a lot about how the coaches feel about Faggins play . I'd wager at this point that he's the starter next year barring they pick up someone via FA .... I dont see a rookie coming in and taking his job .
Neither do I.

However, if Bennett (or Harrison even...) makes good strides this year toward picking up the defense and learning how to be an NFL CB, maybe he takes Petey's job and Petey goes to nickelback...

just a thought... and that still doesn't prevent us from keeping an eyeball out for DB talent during the draft.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 09-28-2007 at 03:46 PM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #10
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I second the "he played horribly last week" opinions.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Neither do I.

However, if Bennett makes good strides this year picking up the defense and learning how to be an NFL CB, maybe he takes Petey's job and Petey goes to nickelback...

just a thought... and that still doesn't prevent us from keeping an eyeball out for DB talent during the draft.
Would a CB like Revis have had a chance to start this season?
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Would a CB like Revis have had a chance to start this season?
Or Dunta Robinson?--the answer is yes.
Old 09-28-2007   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Revis, and I've been down on Faggins as a starter for a long time; but, if he's all we got, he's all we got. We took Okoye and everybody seems to be happy with him, so let's just realize that we need at least one more off-season to get things really right--maybe more. As long as things keep getting better overall, I can live with it.

Besides, he's been facing some competition that no #2 CB could exactly shut down anyway.

PS-I do wish Faggins would stop backing off so much, though. That one thing really annoys me. Let's not just give them 1st downs when time is running out on us.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Robinson was the 10th pick and Revis the 14th ..... top half of the first round .Guy's with that kind of talent at CB are taken early . I dont expect the Texans picking that early this year . I think they will be in the 18-20 range .

The CB's taken in the 1st round this year have a combined 4 starts . Three of those by Revis . So its no guarantee that a CB taken early is going to contribute .

Old 09-28-2007   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrosion View Post
Robinson was the 10th pick and Revis the 14th ..... top half of the first round .Guy's with that kind of talent at CB are taken early . I dont expect the Texans picking that early this year . I think they will be in the 18-20 range .

The CB's taken in the 1st round this year have a combined 4 starts . Three of those by Revis . So its no guarantee that a CB taken early is going to contribute .
Keeping my mouth shut....keeping shut, dang it.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I wanted Revis, and I've been down on Faggins as a starter for a long time; but, if he's all we got, he's all we got. We took Okoye and everybody seems to be happy with him, so let's just realize that we need at least one more off-season to get things really right--maybe more. As long as things keep getting better overall, I can live with it.

Besides, he's been facing some competition that no #2 CB could exactly shut down anyway.

PS-I do wish Faggins would stop backing off so much, though. That one thing really annoys me. Let's not just give them 1st downs when time is running out on us.
Agreed. There's nothing anyone can do about the situation now. They like him. He does ok when not locked onto the 1. If the coaches can live with it I certainly can. Apparently they do not like to flip the corners for match ups.
Just have to get good push from the front four and grab every forced fumble they can.
Old 09-28-2007   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Agreed. There's nothing anyone can do about the situation now. They like him. He does ok when not locked onto the 1. If the coaches can live with it I certainly can. Apparently they do not like to flip the corners for match ups.
Just have to get good push from the front four and grab every forced fumble they can.
possibilities to improve CB next year 1. bennett 2. draft 3. Free agency with all that cash that will be available,
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #18
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
possibilities to improve CB next year 1. bennett 2. draft 3. Free agency with all that cash that will be available,
As bad as our CB situation is currently, I am still hoping that Bennett shows some flash and allows us to go a different direction in the draft.

Any chance that Bennett is picking up the defense while sitting on IR?
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
53 yards on six catches and no TD's by Harrison is pretty good for a #2 CB .

Quote:
Keeping my mouth shut....keeping shut, dang it.
I wouldnt mind having the guy myself .... BUT we all know Football is a game won by the big uglies up front . Im satisfied with the Okoye pick and hope that the CB2 position can be addressed this coming offseason . I'd really like to see Peety back as the nickle corner . But until someone actually takes the job away from him I'm content with what he gives us .

I just get sick of people regurgitating the same crap when none of them really understand the defense not to mention none of us knows the responisbilities of each coverage or defensive call and blame everything on one guy . For now Faggins gives us the best chance to win football games NOW!

Old 09-28-2007   #20
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd rather Faggins give an 8 yd cushion then get beat deep over & over again.

I know its annoying, but that's the best he can do & right now we don't have anyone who can do it better.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read