Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-28-2007   #21
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 27 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer
Default Re: Houston/Atlanta (odds & ends)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
Interesting stats.

I have a bad feeling about this game.

The Texans are banged up, the Falcons are desperate for a win and would love to ruin Schaub's homecoming. They will be fired up. I am not automatically marking this game down as a victory as many are. The injuries are killing us!!!!
Old 09-28-2007   #22
Historyhorn
Veteran

Rep Power: 39 Historyhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respectedHistoryhorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll be fortunate to escape the Georgia Dome with a win. And if we do, it'll have to be an ugly one with the defense getting short fields and possibly manufacturing some points.

Schaub is going to have to have the game of his life, because of our loss of weapons on O. Owen Daniels and our 2nd and 3rd stringers will need to come up big time as well.

If we're able to pull this one out, I think it will be even more of a benchmark of how far we've come than the Carolina game (if that's possible).

Go Texans
Historyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #23
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think Matt will want to make a statement like Vince wanted to make in Houston last year. And from what I saw last week, I think he will hit anybody between the matters, no matter the receiver. I also don't think the Falcons will be able to capitalize on Texans mistakes the way the Colts and Panthers were able to. The stout Texans D will make sure of that. Dayne will bulldoze through the line like he always does. It won't be as effective as having Green in there, but it will be solid enough to keep the Falcons respecting a galumphing, lumbering run game. So all in all, I expect a good game, but one the Texans will win in the end.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #24
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
uh, tim purpura? is that you?

c'mon man, be real. say they may come up and bite us if we don't watch out but not "they're a good team"....if they were a good team we wouldn't be a road favorite.

Sorry, but I think they are a good team.

They've got good players on defense (Abraham is great, Hall is usually awesome, Brookings is very good). They've got good players on offense (Dunn + Norwood are very talented, Crumpler is top 5 TE, White and Jenkins are improving)

And despite what people may believe, Harrington is playing extremely well so far given the circumstances. He put up 350+ yards on the Panthers last week. THey SHOULD have won that game

They almost beat the Jags the week before
Old 09-28-2007   #25
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia View Post
I have a bad feeling about this game.
This is a take care of business game.

We are going to find out what kind of team the 2007 Texans are and is all the progress real and not just smoke and mirrors.

A convincing win, and the Texans are a legit team in the AFC to start making some noise...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #26
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

We are going to find out what kind of team the 2007 Texans are and is all the progress real and not just smoke and mirrors.

A convincing win, and the Texans are a legit team in the AFC to start making some noise...
I've said it over and over. To be a good team, we have to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. Prior to this, there haven't been a lot of teams that we were supposed to beat. If we can win these next two games even though we're beaten up and injured, we will at least be a respectable team.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Nah, this isn't a taking care of business game.

This is a basic survival game.

The Texans are likely going to be playing without every single one of their offensive playmakers. Schaub and Daniels I put in the category of solid not spectacular guys.

At the offensive/special team skill positions, they are playing guys who are basically rejects from every other team.

And though the statistics for the defensive side of the ball are improved, they aren't completely dominating--the defense does best when the offense keeps them off the freaking field, if the field position is good, or they figure out whatever mojo they need to be doing and actually play ball.

This will be a huge test of Schaub and the system offense.

Winning on the road is never easy against any team. I'd say this Sunday's game is like playing with one arm behind your back, but it's more like no arms, no legs. and a blindfold.

People are acting like the Texans are all that and the bag of chips, but truth is that the Texans were just starting to know who they were, and with these injuries are fixin to find out more. I think the Texans when they are healthy are one of the best teams in the league. With these particular injuries, I hope they are even average.

We have no idea who this team is.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, and nor am I responding to just one post--I just am having a hard time seeing what the positive aspects of this game are. Atlanta has played some tough games on the road and should have won their last game at home--a game where they were able to move the ball.
Old 09-28-2007   #28
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

My Prediction: Look for DRob to have a big game....

Bad Prediction: Alge Crumpler will too

Game Prediction : Falcons play extremely hard, but fall to Schaub, Demeco and co 24-20.

Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #29
real

I'd say Matt and OD are really good at this point, not spectacular. They are better than 'solid' though.

Atlanta is a bad team and we are better than they are. That's why we are favored by 3 points on the road.

If we don't win, it will be a let down--AKA we should win.

Last edited by real; 09-28-2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2007   #30
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I think we are discussing perspective here.

When Kubiak said "there are no moral victories" last week, that tells me that we as fans can expect more.

If Schaub is playing at 100% and he is as good as we think he is, and the defense is pretty healthy, then the Texans should be able to take care of business against lower tier teams.

To be a "winning program" like Kubiak said last Sunday in his post game comments, I infer from that you "take care of business" against a team like the Falcons.

TC, I understand your perspective, but I think your setting expectations similarily to what we expected the first 5 years and with DC as the QB.

It's time to expect more, we deserve more, we have earned it, and it's time the Texans take it. Therefore, it's a taking care of business game. Come on in, the water is warm! There's plenty of Jack and Coke to go around!
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #31
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I've said it over and over. To be a good team, we have to beat the teams we're supposed to beat. Prior to this, there haven't been a lot of teams that we were supposed to beat. If we can win these next two games even though we're beaten up and injured, we will at least be a respectable team.

I completely agree on the needing to beat the teams we're supposed to beat point. I think Dick Vermeil made similar comments about his teams, too.

However, JMO, but I'd put the Chiefs in that category.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #32
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I'd say Matt and OD are really good at this point, not spectacular. They are better than 'solid' though.

Atlanta is a bad team and we are better than they are. That's why we are favored by 3 points on the road.

If we don't win, it will be a let down--AKA we should win.
Maybe my definition of "solid" is different than yours. I think of them as dependable, quality players but not of the oh-wow-how-did-they-do-that playmaking variety.

The betting line has everything to do with getting the right amount of action on the game. I am not sure that the banged up Texans are a better team than ATL.

It's a let down any time the team loses.
Old 09-28-2007   #33
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskillz View Post
The Texans are banged up, the Falcons are desperate for a win and would love to ruin Schaub's homecoming. They will be fired up. I am not automatically marking this game down as a victory as many are. The injuries are killing us!!!!
That's the way I'm reading it also. Trap game. We should lay waist to the QB position with our front four. our holes our still our holes. And I'm not talking wounded skill guys here. They come out flat, not listen to the coaches, it'll be a war for sure. I dunno and I ain't in the room but I'll lay money that Kubiak and the rest of them are warning the players tring to avoid the trap.
Old 09-28-2007   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
I think we are discussing perspective here.

When Kubiak said "there are no moral victories" last week, that tells me that we as fans can expect more.

If Schaub is playing at 100% and he is as good as we think he is, and the defense is pretty healthy, then the Texans should be able to take care of business against lower tier teams.

To be a "winning program" like Kubiak said last Sunday in his post game comments, I infer from that you "take care of business" against a team like the Falcons.

TC, I understand your perspective, but I think your setting expectations similarily to what we expected the first 5 years and with DC as the QB.

It's time to expect more, we deserve more, we have earned it, and it's time the Texans take it. Therefore, it's a taking care of business game. Come on in, the water is warm! There's plenty of Jack and Coke to go around!
I don't care who the quarterback is. This has nothing to do with DC. Put John Elway in his prime back there. He can't throw to himself, nor can he run it.

The Texans are likely going to start Ron Dayne, Kevin Walter, Andre Davis, David Anderson. No offense to those guys, but I just ate lunch, and seeing that in writing doesn't help with digestion. This is the ultimate test of a system offense.

The defense has not played consistently well. They've played scary--sometimes scary to the other team and sometimes scary to the fans. And it will be harder for the Texans offense/ST to make the explosive plays that have bailed them out.

I would love nothing more than the Texans to go to ATL and bust them in the mouth.

As for the 100% healthy defense, I say we wrap DeMeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, Amobi Okoye and Mario Williams in bubble wrap with air holes, because if any of those guys get injured, I'm going to have some sort of fit.
Old 09-28-2007   #35
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

The D. Hall melt down last week tells me everything I need to know about the Dirty Birds. After he blew up @ Petrino, they folded.

This year they are very much like the 'old Texans" and suffer from what I call the Saltine effect. When the pressure is on, they crumble like a cracker.

With all of the injuries, the Texans have every reason to feel sorry for themselves. But they are not!

Despite the injuries, I think the Texans win this game. I think the so called "scrubs" will step up and play.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #36
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 231518 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
With all of the injuries, the Texans have every reason to feel sorry for themselves. But they are not!

Despite the injuries, I think the Texans win this game. I think the so called "scrubs" will step up and play.
I don't doubt this.

I just want to see proof by having them beat the Falcons and Dolphins.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #37
alphajoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4560 alphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respectedalphajoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I have an ambivalence for this game too. A part of me believes they should win this game with ease, but at the same time, I'm so used to being let down by the team of the past, that it's easy to feel this way. This game will certainly tell us if this team really has turned the corner and win games like they're supposed to.
alphajoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #38
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Smile Re: Houston/Atlanta (odds & ends)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historyhorn View Post
I think we'll be fortunate to escape the Georgia Dome with a win. And if we do, it'll have to be an ugly one with the defense getting short fields and possibly manufacturing some points.

Schaub is going to have to have the game of his life, because of our loss of weapons on O. Owen Daniels and our 2nd and 3rd stringers will need to come up big time as well.

If we're able to pull this one out, I think it will be even more of a benchmark of how far we've come than the Carolina game (if that's possible).

Go Texans
I'm looking forward to this game. No question we need to win. Definitely will show what we're made of. A win will show character & will be a big momentum boost for the rest of the year
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #39
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194681 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

The Texans are likely going to be playing without every single one of their offensive playmakers. Schaub and Daniels I put in the category of solid not spectacular guys.

At the offensive/special team skill positions, they are playing guys who are basically rejects from every other team.

And though the statistics for the defensive side of the ball are improved, they aren't completely dominating--the defense does best when the offense keeps them off the freaking field, if the field position is good, or they figure out whatever mojo they need to be doing and actually play ball.

This will be a huge test of Schaub and the system offense.

Winning on the road is never easy against any team. I'd say this Sunday's game is like playing with one arm behind your back, but it's more like no arms, no legs. and a blindfold.

People are acting like the Texans are all that and the bag of chips, but truth is that the Texans were just starting to know who they were, and with these injuries are fixin to find out more. I think the Texans when they are healthy are one of the best teams in the league. With these particular injuries, I hope they are even average.

We have no idea who this team is.

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, and nor am I responding to just one post--I just am having a hard time seeing what the positive aspects of this game are. Atlanta has played some tough games on the road and should have won their last game at home--a game where they were able to move the ball.
Aaaah, a realist. Good.
Our offensive cupboard is nearly bare. Both our PR and KR threats are out. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't grab Bethel Johnson as a stop-gap - unless he's already signed with someone else.

My take: If we're to win this one, our defense will have to score ...or at least force multiple turnovers and give our depleted offense a short field. If our D stays in Joey's face all day and harrasses him into mistakes, we can do this.

Blitz Richard Smith, Blitz!
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007   #40
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 114195 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Aaaah, a realist. Good.
Our offensive cupboard is nearly bare. Both our PR and KR threats are out. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't grab Bethel Johnson as a stop-gap - unless he's already signed with someone else.

My take: If we're to win this one, our defense will have to score ...or at least force multiple turnovers and give our depleted offense a short field. If our D stays in Joey's face all day and harrasses him into mistakes, we can do this.

Blitz Richard Smith, Blitz!
Defense is the key. If the defense can be the unit I know they are, then we have a good chance of beating these guys.

Schaub is all business and will find a way to put some points on the board.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read