WR Jacoby Jones (shoulder) DNPIP DNPIP
WR Jerome Mathis (leg) Limited Participation DNPIP
DE N.D. Kalu (hand) Full Participation Full Participation

DNPIP = Did Not participate in Practice

TexanExile

A New Hope
Additionally at the Chronicle:

Injury woes continue - Mathis questionable

"The Texans just keep taking hits. Wide receiver Jerome Mathis is questionable for Sunday's game in Atlanta because of a sore foot. He started complaining about it Monday afternoon. He tried to practice Wednesday, but had to start icing it midway through. Thursday, Mathis didn't practice at all. Now, coach Gary Kubiak is trying to decide what to do. Mathis isn't a guy who has played through injuries in the past. The team could wait until as late as Saturday to make a decision, but it's tough when his absence would leave the team with only three wide receivers. Their options are clearly limited at this point. With only Andre' Davis, Kevin Walter and David Anderson healthy, the Texans must sign another receiver. The obvious options would be Harry Williams from the practice squad or Bethel Johnson, a free agent. Keenan McCardell is also an option, but would seem less likely since Johnson would at least could help in the kick returns."

Maybe it would have been luckier to play a great team next week. If they lose to Atlanta it will hurt - injuries or not.
At least it isn't a divisional game. I still think we can beat Atlanta/Miami with this starting lineup - I can't say the same for the Jags or Chargers.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Additionally at the Chronicle:

Injury woes continue - Mathis questionable

"The Texans just keep taking hits. Wide receiver Jerome Mathis is questionable for Sunday's game in Atlanta because of a sore foot. He started complaining about it Monday afternoon. He tried to practice Wednesday, but had to start icing it midway through. Thursday, Mathis didn't practice at all. Now, coach Gary Kubiak is trying to decide what to do. Mathis isn't a guy who has played through injuries in the past. The team could wait until as late as Saturday to make a decision, but it's tough when his absence would leave the team with only three wide receivers. Their options are clearly limited at this point. With only Andre' Davis, Kevin Walter and David Anderson healthy, the Texans must sign another receiver. The obvious options would be Harry Williams from the practice squad or Bethel Johnson, a free agent. Keenan McCardell is also an option, but would seem less likely since Johnson would at least could help in the kick returns."
A sore foot? FOOT???? Are they right about that? AAARGH.

Of course, someone who depends on speed for what he does generally can't play through those injuries. See e.g. Terence Newman.

The practice quotes say lower leg:

(on WR Jerome Mathis) “Oh, ok, I did forget one. Well, you know, I really don’t know. He didn’t say anything about his leg after the game. Monday morning was not a problem. He came in Monday after the meeting, said his lower leg was sore. Did a little bit yesterday, continues to say it’s sore today, so (head athletic trainer) Kevin (Bastin) thought we should hold him, so we’ll see. We took the x-rays, MRI, we didn’t see anything, so we’ll just play it day to day.”
As an aside, I have to say, I love that the Texans post their press conferences. I've told various people with the Texans that I hope they continue to do so because it is the #1 reason I visit their webpage.

Carr Bombed

Hall of Fame
I heard Kubiak talking about a sore leg.....not a foot, on the evening news.

This entire season is being derailed by injuries......it is becoming really sad. :cry2:

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Challenge.

That's the word that Kubiak uses instead of "Oh ****."

The legend of Matt Schaub is going to grow if he can win with this particular group. A crap running game and a bunch of receivers that absolutely nobody else wanted.

Big Bad Schaub, indeed.

hradhak

Veteran
It looks like our TE corps is really going to need to step up. I really hope Mathis can play though, but if he has to be out, I'd rather it be now for 1 game instead of play now and we lose him for more time or against divison play.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I wonder if it is the foot, if it is the foot he had surgery on. None of the reports I've seen say.
The foot he was previously operated on was his LEFT (navicular bone which lies one the top part of the arch closest to the front crease of the ankle)..........we'll see what the more detailed reports of his injury are to compare it to the aforementioned site (if you can believe the report).

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
I sincerely hope this is a physical injury rather than a mental one. Reading Kubiak's words, rather than listening to them, makes me believe Kubiak is losing patience with Mathis again.

R

real

Mathis got the game ball last week.

I think Kubes can stand to have a little more patience.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
I sincerely hope this is a physical injury rather than a mental one. Reading Kubiak's words, rather than listening to them, makes me believe Kubiak is losing patience with Mathis again.
I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Right when he needs him the most, when he really needs to count on him to step up . . . he pulls this 'my foot hurts' crap.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I wouldn't blame him if he did.

Right when he needs him the most, when he really needs to count on him to step up . . . he pulls this 'my foot hurts' crap.

Early last camp, there was ton of criticism of Mathis for jaking it.

Until of course, it turned out he had a stress fracture in the foot that the Texans didn't promptly diagnose. But once it was, they ended up doing surgery on it. His type of fracture wasn't the easiest to diagnose.

Let's all step away from our jump to conclusions mat. I know that once someone has been identified as a jake, it's hard to break away from that.

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
Early last camp, there was ton of criticism of Mathis for jaking it.

Until of course, it turned out he had a stress fracture in the foot that the Texans didn't promptly diagnose. But once it was, they ended up doing surgery on it. His type of fracture wasn't the easiest to diagnose.

Let's all step away from our jump to conclusions mat. I know that once someone has been identified as a jake, it's hard to break away from that.
This is not just about jaking, but about taking care of business.

(on WR Jerome Mathis) “Oh, ok, I did forget one. Well, you know, I really don’t know. He didn’t say anything about his leg after the game. Monday morning was not a problem. He came in Monday after the meeting, said his lower leg was sore. Did a little bit yesterday, continues to say it’s sore today, so (head athletic trainer) Kevin (Bastin) thought we should hold him, so we’ll see. We took the x-rays, MRI, we didn’t see anything, so we’ll just play it day to day.”

Kaiser Toro

Native Mod
KT - Sounds like he was trying to tough it out until it really started bothering him.
I would like to hope for that as I am a leave no behind type of guy. However, one's personal history and fear of accountability and responsibility within an entity that has finite positions available is what I am reading the issue to be. At this point, more than ever, Mathis needs to be on the field. Therefore, phantom and especially non reported injuries need to be left to a minimum.

R

real

I think it's pretty safe to say Mathis knows that.

I find it hard to believe he is dogging it, given the circumstances. Otherwise he's the most naive person on the planet.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Kubes will have another quiet talk and Mathis will score 3 TDs.On the last score he will do a flip into end zone breaking a collar bone and miss rest of season. Bethel Johnson will be resigned and become the "next best thing".

disaacks3

Staff member
Kubes will have another quiet talk and Mathis will score 3 TDs.On the last score he will do a flip into end zone breaking a collar bone and miss rest of season. Bethel Johnson will be resigned and become the "next best thing".
As much as I like Bethel, he doesn't have Mathis' speed...not even CLOSE.

I really, REALLY hope it's just his leg and not that foot acting up again.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I would hate to think that Mathis is actually fearful of failure as a legitimate WR rather than that occasional fill in, now that he would be placed in that position this week if he were healthy...............but, with his history, I can't help but having it cross my mind more than once.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
I remember thinking when the schedule came out that I was glad the bye week was later this year, I wanted to get my Houston football fix. Now what I wouldn't give for a week 4 bye week.

It is what it is, we will have to get through it. Davis, Walter, Gado, OD will need to be impressive.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I think it's pretty safe to say Mathis knows that.

I find it hard to believe he is dogging it, given the circumstances. Otherwise he's the most naive person on the planet.
Agreed.

Injuries are a weird thing. I was talking to one player about how he feels the day after a game, and he says it is hard to find parts of him that aren't sore. Sometimes what hurts in the morning, goes away.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Challenge.

That's the word that Kubiak uses instead of "Oh ****."

The legend of Matt Schaub is going to grow if he can win with this particular group. A crap running game and a bunch of receivers that absolutely nobody else wanted.

Big Bad Schaub, indeed.
The only game I can remember that comes close to this one in terms of the number of skill guys down and going on the road and snatching a victory was when Gifford walked into San Deigo for a wild card game and didn't lose it. If I remeber correctly Morriarity literally threw the crutches away just befor kick off and gave them enough of a ruhing attack to pull it out. And....Vernon Perry had a Career day. Be nice if we saw a safty making one or two big plays come sunday. Can we all agree that MS is prety well hand cuffed on this one ?

If he does pull it out, he's going to earn his check this week.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I would hate to think that Mathis is actually fearful of failure as a legitimate WR rather than that occasional fill in, now that he would be placed in that position this week if he were healthy...............but, with his history, I can't help but having it cross my mind more than once.
Hard to not be negitive with him. Here is his chance to show case, put his name in the league, and he gets another injury. The guy is either very unlucky or...

I dunno and I'm not in the room, but it does cast a shadow of doubt about the guy. If he's hurt, he's hurt. But dependable is not Jerome Mathis' middle name.
More like red cross.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Can we all agree that MS is prety well hand cuffed on this one ?
Nope. People around here seem to forget having a WR like AJ is a luxury not what every team has. Matt Schaub works with what he has. Prior to Schaub starting the NE game, Vick had 5 sub 200 yard passing games. Schaub came in and had a 300 yd day. Vick followed that up with 2 sub 150 yd games. Vick had 4 TD's in his 7 games--Schaub had 3 in his one. Those WR's were guys reviled for being too poor to support Vick but Schaub made them work including primary pass catcher of the day undrafted and out of the league Brian Finneran. He can do the same with Daniels and this crew.

If he does pull it out, he's going to earn his check this week.
Agreed--that is what earning your paycheck is not just throwing your hands up in the air or whining about having no chance.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Nope. People around here seem to forget having a WR like AJ is a luxury not what every team has. Matt Schaub works with what he has. Prior to Schaub starting the NE game, Vick had 5 sub 200 yard passing games. Schaub came in and had a 300 yd day. Vick followed that up with 2 sub 150 yd games. Vick had 4 TD's in his 7 games--Schaub had 3 in his one. Those WR's were guys reviled for being too poor to support Vick but Schaub made them work including primary pass catcher of the day undrafted and out of the league Brian Finneran. He can do the same with Daniels and this crew.

Agreed--that is what earning your paycheck is not just throwing your hands up in the air or whining about having no chance.
So you are posting that MS will have a 300 yard day with how many targets between the three wide outs ? Hmm interesting. I'll agree that MS...in the pocket, with guys he's worked with befor, given time, is an excellent QB.

But....not whining here, to expect him to go lights out with out a running game, with out familuar targets, is a bit of a reach. What I think is that a lot of folks in here were so happpy that the QB situation changed, that MS got elevated to NFL God like status. And he ain't that. He's a good QB who manages the game well .....If he has all of his parts. And he doesn't have that this game. I'm not banging. There's a NFL reality here. We're on the road. We're coming off an emotional loss. We're favored.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
So you are posting that MS will have a 300 yard day
No--just saying he is used to working with "subpar" talent and making it work. He isn't used to having an AJ--that's a luxury not a requirement.

Hmm interesting. I'll agree that MS...in the pocket, with guys he's worked with befor, given time, is an excellent QB.
Worked with before? Sure some, but Vick certainly got most of the 1st team reps. Schaub has been working with Walter and Davis isn't a street pickup to the team.

But....not whining here, to expect him to go lights out with out a running game, with out familuar targets, is a bit of a reach.
Wasn't referring to you whining but the kind of QB that would mail it in on the excuse of not having one of his normal starting WR's. You are assuming we will not have a running game (Atlanta has been giving up 144 per game) and IMO overstating how unfamiliar he is with the WR's (he has had a bunch of voluntary extra practice time with the WR's here). In any event, the point isn't he wouldn't go lights out, but he wouldn't as you asserted be handcuffed.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
O.K. 250 ? will you post that MS will have a 250 yard game ? With out the threat of a rush Kubiack's offense is a dead duck. They can't run the passing game with out the rush. And now, and I'm guessing here just by this coaches past desicions, we'll have flannery in the heart of the line where he was befor. I don't see him starting White do you ? And I don't see flannery's legs rested or not being any better than they were last year. Got guys running timing routes with limited targets with the live bullets flying, and you're posting that MS will ride his white horse in and save the day ? Is this correct ? the only thing that will save this game for them is if the d-line pummels the falcon's QB's. And if we're lucky, we'll get 'em all to the side lines. That will make the falcons as one demensional as we will be.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
O.K. 250 ? will you post that MS will have a 250 yard game ?
I don't give a crud about specific numbers Mr. doom and gloom. I've made my point--Schaub is not dead without AJ or even a running game. Ummm, let me remember when this last happened, God it was so long ago--oh yeah, last week--82%, 236 yds, 40 yds rushing.

With out the threat of a rush Kubiack's offense is a dead duck. They can't run the passing game with out the rush.
Oh, I forgot--the doom and gloom eight ball knows for a certainty they won't be able to rush.

And I don't see flannery's legs rested or not being any better than they were last year.
Yeah lord knows Flanigan's legs can't be fresh since he hasn't been getting beat up the last three weeks.

you're posting that MS will ride his white horse in and save the day ? Is this correct ?
You're the one making extreme predictions about handcuffs. All I am saying is Schaub can still have a good day and play his role.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I'm not saying MS is not going to go into Atlanta and not give everything he's got. What I'm saying is he has a large load to tote. If they go on the road and blow the Falcons out, then he is an elite QB. But if he doesn't, doesn't mean I want to throw him out with the saturday's night bath water. Need to keep the expectations low this week. This thingy is not a lock. They gotta figure the WR's out. They gotta figgure whether they are going two TE's and bang them and keep it close. They gotta figure how to bottle up the big WRs and the scat back and the TE....just saying they got a lot on their plates this week to figure out.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I'm not saying MS is not going to go into Atlanta and not give everything he's got. What I'm saying is he has a large load to tote. If they go on the road and blow the Falcons out, then he is an elite QB. But if he doesn't, doesn't mean I want to throw him out with the saturday's night bath water. Need to keep the expectations low this week. This thingy is not a lock. They gotta figure the WR's out. They gotta figgure whether they are going two TE's and bang them and keep it close. They gotta figure how to bottle up the big WRs and the scat back and the TE....just saying they got a lot on their plates this week to figure out.
Umm...ok.:um:

Crazy I say, just crazy.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
Didn't I read in one of the tailgate threads that Haywood Jeffries was hanging out at one of them?? With the way our receivers are going down, it might be time to get someone on board.

disaacks3

Staff member
O.K. 250 ? will you post that MS will have a 250 yard game ? With out the threat of a rush Kubiack's offense is a dead duck. They can't run the passing game with out the rush. And now, and I'm guessing here just by this coaches past desicions, we'll have flannery in the heart of the line where he was befor. I don't see him starting White do you ? And I don't see flannery's legs rested or not being any better than they were last year. Got guys running timing routes with limited targets with the live bullets flying, and you're posting that MS will ride his white horse in and save the day ? Is this correct ? the only thing that will save this game for them is if the d-line pummels the falcon's QB's. And if we're lucky, we'll get 'em all to the side lines. That will make the falcons as one demensional as we will be.
Really, what happened LAST week then? We were far from spectacular, but they weren't as abysmal as you're ofereing. Personally, I'd rather the Falcons come in with a win under their belt (less pressure to get Win #1), but you play 'em as they're dealt.

I'm still more worried about our suspect secondary than our Offensive attack.

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
I don't give a crud about specific numbers Mr. doom and gloom. I've made my point--Schaub is not dead without AJ or even a running game. Ummm, let me remember when this last happened, God it was so long ago--oh yeah, last week--82%, 236 yds, 40 yds rushing.

Oh, I forgot--the doom and gloom eight ball knows for a certainty they won't be able to rush.

Yeah lord knows Flanigan's legs can't be fresh since he hasn't been getting beat up the last three weeks.

You're the one making extreme predictions about handcuffs. All I am saying is Schaub can still have a good day and play his role.
The only thing extreme is your expecttions of how three young WRs will preform under fire with very few targets between them. I stand on Flannery's past production. That my friend is a fact. His '06 production. only thing extreme is your expectations. I'm certainly not extreme
in projecting the rushing attack will not be there if he can't preform. MS has too many peice missing to expect him to throw us to a victory. If that's what the game plan is we're fresh meat for sure.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
Didn't I read in one of the tailgate threads that Haywood Jeffries was hanging out at one of them?? With the way our receivers are going down, it might be time to get someone on board.
He and Ernest "Electric Slide" Givens will do the trick. :fans:

threetoedpete

Hall of Fame
Umm...ok.:um:

Crazy I say, just crazy.
Well bring a little more than a one line character blast there grass hopper. Put something up and you too can dazzel us ? All you got is BS. I knjow what I know. You ain't got nothing. Go let Collingsworth expailn it to ya short stack.