Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-04-2007   #161
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mathis???

This thread is a joke. The guy ran a sub 4.3 in the combine. The guy has taken three back for a TD in his career thus far. He depends on his legs. If he doesn't feel comfortable using his legs, let him sit until he does. It is better than him tearing something and missing the entire season.
Old 10-04-2007   #162
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Going back to the original point of the thread, I'd be interested in an actual medical opinion of the leg clots thing. Rumor from the radio says he has blood clots. I haven't seen any written comfirmation in the paper...yet.

Me playing fakey doctor, this is what I think I know:

1. Getting surgery in a leg/foot, makes it more likely you will get blood clots in that leg.

2. His current injury is in the same leg. Symptoms are similar to what people have when they have blood clots in their leg.

3. It is not uncommon for athletes to get blood clots.

4. If this is what it is, it is likely he will be out for the season. They have to put you on blood thinners. When you are on blood thinners, you can't get hit because duh, you will bleed more easily, including internally.
Old 10-04-2007   #163
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I just got home, and finally had a chance to catch up on the thread. If there is a serious problem with his leg, then I express my apologies. I couldn't help but notice the change in tone when Kubiak was talking about him. I feel that he had his own suspicions.

I will say this though. For whatever reasons, he has missed way, way more games than he's played. And that is something, given a limited roster, that cannot be ignored.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #164
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Going back to the original point of the thread, I'd be interested in an actual medical opinion of the leg clots thing. Rumor from the radio says he has blood clots. I haven't seen any written comfirmation in the paper...yet.

1. Getting surgery in a leg/foot, makes it more likely you will get blood clots in that leg.

2. His current injury is in the same leg. Symptoms are similar to what people have when they have blood clots in their leg.

4. If this is what it is, it is likely he will be out for the season. They have to put you on blood thinners. When you are on blood thinners, you can't get hit because duh, you will bleed more easily, including internally.
If this is the case, and I truly hope it is not, football is an after thought. Hopefully the medical staff figures this out quickly for this young man's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #165
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

So...

a) if he's not really all that hurt OR

b) if he's hurt again and will have another 3 game season

...is he worth a roster spot next year, or the remainder of this year for that matter?

Talent, heart, and health are all big parts of an NFL player's performance. Mathis is off the chart on kick-off return talent. Is that enough if he is missing either heart or health to a large degree?
Old 10-04-2007   #166
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
If this is the case, and I truly hope it is not, football is an after thought. Hopefully the medical staff figures this out quickly for this young man's sake.
what he said.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #167
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First of all, if this ends up being due to "blood clots," after such a long period of symptoms, I'm starting to worry about the caliber of people evaluating him. There are 2 types of blood clots: One is of the superficial vein system and is usually halmarked by redness and tenderness with some element of swelling along the vein. This condition is not dangerous and is treated conservatively with anti-inflammatories, compresses and limited elevation with early amblation. The other type of blood clot is the one most people fear..........that of the deep vein system........the typed that can break off and go to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and kill a person. It is usually halmarked by diffuse, tender and uncomfortable swelling of a leg. Either can be caused by trauma. This far out of surgery, you would not expect blood clots to likely be related to the trauma of his surgery. Athletes have been known to have these problems simply from long period of immobility on plane trips. The latter type of clot is treated with bed rest (5-10days while being given parenteral blod thinners. After this period of time, the clots have stuck to the vein wall and are not likely to break off. Therefore ambulation is begun. Before the patient is allowed to go home, he is balanced out with oral blood thinner, usually Coumadin (with the other thinner discontinued)............This is oral regimen is usually continued for a period of approximately 6 months. Activities at risk for trauma for obvious reasons are discouraged until the blood thinners are discontinued. Whatever, the cause (and there are a list that would be unlikely in this case), diagnosis is relatively straight forward by simple clinical and doppler studies. Like I said, if this has indeed been of thrombosis origin, I would have to ask why his it taken this long to come up with the diagnosis.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 10-04-2007 at 08:38 PM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 10-04-2007   #168
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 212038 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

IIRC, Mathis didn't tell anyone he was ailing right away. Chalk that up to he and Kubiak's little "stay on the field or hit the road talk" the two of them had prior to training camp.

Maybe he's just now getting the right treatment/diagnostic attention.
Old 10-04-2007   #169
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
IIRC, Mathis didn't tell anyone he was ailing right away. Chalk that up to he and Kubiak's little "stay on the field or hit the road talk" the two of them had prior to training camp.

Oh, so now all of sudden this is on Kubiak's head now, huh?

Typical. Just freakin typical.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #170
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
First of all, if this ends up being due to "blood clots," after such a long period of symptoms, I'm starting to worry about the caliber of people evaluating him. There are 2 types of blood clots: One is of the superficial vein system and is usually halmarked by redness and tenderness with some element of swelling along the vein. This condition is not dangerous and is treated conservatively with anti-inflammatories, compresses and limited elevation with early amblation. The other type of blood clot is the one most people fear..........that of the deep vein system........the typed that can break off and go to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and kill a person. It is usually halmarked by diffuse, tender and uncomfortable swelling of a leg. Either can be caused by trauma. This far out of surgery, you would not expect blood clots to likely be related to the trauma of his surgery. Athletes have been known to have these problems simply from long period of immobility on plane trips. The latter type of clot is treated with bed rest (5-10days while being given parenteral blod thinners. After this period of time, the clots have stuck to the vein wall and are not likely to break off. Therefore ambulation is begun. Before the patient is allowed to go home, he is balanced out with oral blood thinner, usually Coumadin (with the other thinner discontinued)............This is oral regimen is usually continued for a period of approximately 6 months. Activities at risk for trauma for obvious reasons are discouraged until the blood thinners are discontinued. Whatever, the cause (and there are a list that would be unlikely in this case), diagnosis is relatively straight forward by simple clinical and doppler studies. Like I said, if this has indeed been of thrombosis origin, I would have to ask why his it taken this long to come up with the diagnosis.
Ha. I knew if I starting playing pretend doc, you would set us straight.

Thanks a ton.
Old 10-04-2007   #171
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I think it might just be a reflection that sometimes the symptoms of leg clots are subtle and can feel just like muscle soreness.

It's difficult sometimes to distinguish between normal sore and injury.

Someone I know who is one of the best docs in town failed to diagnose his own DVT until it became serious and affected his lungs.
Old 10-04-2007   #172
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
So...

...is he worth a roster spot next year, or the remainder of this year for that matter?

Talent, heart, and health are all big parts of an NFL player's performance. Mathis is off the chart on kick-off return talent. Is that enough if he is missing either heart or health to a large degree?
He has raw talent in spades. Even with what he has done with just kick off returns, he is a game changer.

I will leave heart measuring to the cardiologists.

As for his health, maybe Kubiak is right, maybe this is something that ails him early in his career and not so much later. I'm guessing you make decisions as it relates to his future with the team as you see his work habits and attitude.

At the end of the day, I do think that the team needs to systematically look at how it diagnoses and treats injuries. He complained about this injury two Mondays ago. And since two Wednesdays ago, what we were hearing was sort of dismissive--like if it doesn't show up on an MRI or an XRay, it must not exist.
Old 10-04-2007   #173
El cabezon
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 El cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVPEl cabezon was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
WHY?? For telling the truth, as he see's it?? JMO, BUT, I have a feeling JM is one of the best actors on the team!! We'll see after the specialist gives a report. Regardless, injured or not, he is NOT helping our team!! Put him on IR and pick up someone who cares!!
With all due respect....grow up lady.
El cabezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #174
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El cabezon View Post
Man, you have no idea do you?

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007   #175
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Oh, so now all of sudden this is on Kubiak's head now, huh?

Typical. Just freakin typical.
That post wasn't about placing blame; although after re-reading what I said, I can see how you might think that's what I meant. Its not like Kubiak won't hold players out for a week or two that have been "nicked up".

All I'm saying is, with his "new attitude" maybe JM thought it was simple muscle soreness and believed that he could "work through it".

It would be good to see an official diagnosis.
Old 10-04-2007   #176
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El cabezon View Post
Got to love someone who says with all do respect, might as well say no offense then bash someone, it is still an attack.
Old 10-04-2007   #177
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I'm glad that they caught it because I know just enough about blood clots to know that they're scary as all get out. I'd hate to think that something might have happened to him because of a missed diagnosis so I'm thankful that they finally did figure it out!

So, is it safe to assume that (whatever the nature of the clots) that Jerome is done for the year? If so, man, that flat out just sucks.

I know he has much more to worry about than football right now, but the boy can flat out change a game and I'd hate to lose that.

In the meantime I suppose we can all pray for his full and complete recovery.....
Old 10-05-2007   #178
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 239970 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
So...

If it's a desire issue, then no, I don't think he's worth a roster spot. If it's a health issue, then I say it depends on who else they're putting in his spot. David Anderson for 5th WR? I'd say no. There is a lot to be said for being among the best at something. There aren't too many players on the roster that are among the best at what they do - AJ, Robinson, Ryans ... and Mathis. Outside of Devin Hester, I'm not sure there's a better KR in the NFL. And if (dirty word again) Mathis can get and stay healthy, he might give Hester a run for his money.

If Kubiak truly has a better option next year, then I say Good Luck elsewhere, Mathis. But if it's Mathis vs. Anderson, McCardell, a 17th TE, or some special teams backup long snapper, then I say Mathis is worth the spot.

All this, of course, is assuming he's healthy, which is a big assumption.
Old 10-05-2007   #179
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 195074 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He has raw talent in spades. Even with what he has done with just kick off returns, he is a game changer.

I will leave heart measuring to the cardiologists.

As for his health, maybe Kubiak is right, maybe this is something that ails him early in his career and not so much later. I'm guessing you make decisions as it relates to his future with the team as you see his work habits and attitude.

At the end of the day, I do think that the team needs to systematically look at how it diagnoses and treats injuries. He complained about this injury two Mondays ago. And since two Wednesdays ago, what we were hearing was sort of dismissive--like if it doesn't show up on an MRI or an XRay, it must not exist.

No mention of any blood clot.....just the fibula (the smaller bone of the lower leg) which is not a documented previous injury. You don't mix up a skeletal diagnosis like this with a diagnosis of blood clot....................This story is becoming more convoluted by the day.

Quote:
Mathis sees specialist
Doctors put wide receiver/kick returner Jerome Mathis through a series of tests at the hospital late Wednesday in an attempt to determine exactly what has him sidelined. Mathis complained of a sore lower leg after the Indianapolis game and didn't play against Atlanta. On Thursday, the Texans sent Mathis to a specialist.

"Jerome does have a problem with his lower leg," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We found the spot. Now we're in the process of diagnosing how severe it is and how long it's going to take."

On the injury report, the team is calling it an injury to the fibula.

"He definitely has a problem," Kubiak said. "I know he's going to miss some time, but I have no idea how long."

Mathis, who is one of the NFL's top kickoff returners, has been injury-prone since he joined the Texans.

"It's very disappointing because he did everything we asked him to do," Kubiak said. "He worked extremely hard. He was helping this team, and then this starts again."
BTW, 610 New flash quotes Kubiak as stating that they finally have a handle on what's going on with Mathis after yesterday's "evaluation"...........and it's "legitemate." Again, in Texans fashion, it's still NOT CHARACTERIZED.............

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 10-05-2007 at 09:53 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #180
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
No mention of any blood clot.....just the tibia (the smaller bone of the lower leg) which is not a documented previous injury. You don't mix up a skeletal diagnosis like this with a diagnosis of blood clot....................This story is becoming more convoluted by the day.

BTW, 610 New flash quotes Kubiak as stating that they finally have a handle on what's going on with Mathis after yesterday's "evaluation"...........and it's "legitemate." Again, in Texans fashion, it's still NOT CHARACTERIZED.............

Very convoluted.

If he had a problem with his shin, why would he be icing his ankle and wrapping his foot, which are both things that a reporter saw?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read