Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-30-2007   #61
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mathis???

What the hell is the deal with Mathis? Watching inside the game on ABC and Tillman made several comments about Mathis hurting the Texans today. Tillman made reference to Andre Davis coming back after the big hit he took and seemed to be taking a shot at Mathis not playing today. Bob Allen followed up by saying the Texans were not happy about Mathis not playing and that his MRI was clean. Anyone know is there a feeling around the Texans that Mathis could be playing but does not want to lay injured?

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #62
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak lied, Mathis hasn't changed at all. He's still the same p***y from last year.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #63
real

Is it always the players choice not to play ?
Old 10-01-2007   #64
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 109012 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htownsportsfan View Post
What the hell is the deal with Mathis? Watching inside the game on ABC and Tillman made several comments about Mathis hurting the Texans today. Tillman made reference to Andre Davis coming back after the big hit he took and seemed to be taking a shot at Mathis not playing today. Bob Allen followed up by saying the Texans were not happy about Mathis not playing and that his MRI was clean. Anyone know is there a feeling around the Texans that Mathis could be playing but does not want to lay injured?
I saw that too . Looks like Mathis is soft . If thats true , it kinda makes me lose a bit of respect for the guy . That shows hes not a team player IMO .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #65
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 114011 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
Is it always the players choice not to play ?
If a player says he's injured a coach just can't make him go out there.

Having said that, 99% of NFL players will play on one leg, because the 1% who don't, get no respect within the lockeroom or from their coaches.

I think Jerome Mathis is one of those 1%ers

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 10-01-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #66
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 128 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post

Having said that, 99% of NFL players will play on one leg, because the 1% who don't, get know respect within the lockeroom or from their coaches.

I really hope not but I am beginning to wonder. Kubiak had to threatin his career to get him into shape and now rumbling about him being able to play but being soft. Maybe its not true but you gotta figure Tillman/Allen must have heard someone question it or they would not have broadcast it. The worst part is the guys has mad Freakin skills as a return guy!

Support our troops
Old 10-01-2007   #67
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post

Having said that, 99% of NFL players will play on one leg, because the 1% who don't, get know respect within the lockeroom or from their coaches.

I'd just find that hard to believe all things considered...

Have you seen how much better shape Mathis is in ? Heard it from Kubiaks mouth..He worked his tail off this summer...

Why do all that work and then not play when you really could ?

Is Mathis really that unmotivated and naive of a human being?

If indeed he is, I say cut him now and move on.
Sponsored links
Old 10-01-2007   #68
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Jerome Mathis mentioned on Extra Points

On Ch. 13's Extra Points last night, both Bob Allen and Spencer Tillman went out of their way to voice their displeasure that Jerome Mathis did not play this week.

Spencer Tillman: "I don't know what to say, but Jerome Mathis could take a lesson from Andre Davis' play on Sunday. Physical play is part of the National Football League. You can help this ballclub if you're on the field. You can't help anybody if you're not. D'Angelo Hall was not the only player that by his absence, hurt his ballclub today."

Bob Allen: "I don't think the Texans were real real happy with Jerome Mathis not playing today. I mean, his MRI came back clean." and then threw his hands up in the air in disgust.

Spencer Tillman: "That's what I'm saying. D'Angelo Hall missed a quarter but got back out there, but Jerome Mathis could have really helped this club out there today."

Bob Allen: "He could have!" while knocking on the table.

What I find significant and downright eye-opening, was they never mentioned the other injured players, at all. No one else!

And then later in the program, when discussing this week's injury report, when Bob Allen got to Mathis' name on the list, he remarked, "he has a bad shin" in an obvious sarcastic tone.

I dunno, guys. That show is only 30 minutes long, but it was clear that the station wanted the public to know that they are suspicious, to say the least, about Mathis' injury.

Now, I've had my suspicions when I first heard about this 'leg injury', but I have kept them to myself. I think I still will . . for the time being.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #69
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Jerome Mathis mentioned on Extra Points

My bad. Mods, if you could move this to the Mathis thread. I didn't see it earlier. Sorry in advance.
Old 10-01-2007   #70
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob Allen knows jack. When your ONLY asset to a team is your speed, you can't really do much when your leg keeps you from being 100%. Having Mathis out there at 80% or whatever he would have been is NOT an upgrade over Wynn at 100%. Heck, Wynn almost broke one today.

Yeah, Mathis is kind of feeble and injury prone. How people make the leap from that to "this guy's faking an injury because ____" is beyond me.

Also, Spencer Tillman, while a seriously nice guy off camera - is about the worst sports analyst I've ever seen. His incompetence as an analyst only compares to his incompetence as a color commentator... which we all learn the hard way every pre-season. In the vast landscape of local media types who do these kinds of shows, these two are clowns on the level of Laurel and Hardy.

Side note - My parents and I went to the Bills/Oilers game... the famous 'Choke' in Buffalo. I sat near Bob Allen on the plane ride home, and believe me - that guy is an emotional reactionary the likes of which I've never seen in local media. He was really nice during the trip, but after the game he was a complete jerk - and we fans were just as invested and just as upset as he was, but we weren't being awful to each other, lol. Sigh. I was 16 at the time, if I remember right.

www.HoustonDiehards.com

Last edited by DiehardChris; 10-01-2007 at 01:05 AM.
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #71
Marcus
Hall of Fame

I'm thinking Mathis just wants to return kicks. That's his comfort zone.

He doesn't want to play receiver, where he might be called upon to, God forbid, go over the middle to catch a pass and get the tough hit like AJ or AD. Or go over the middle and block someone on a running play.

I'm thinking the kid doesn't even belong in the NFL.
Old 10-01-2007   #72
Hook'er
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 Hook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden coverHook'er could be on the next Madden cover

Trade Bait?

Is there any possible way we could trade him for a RB? What about Julius Jones from the Cowgirls.
Old 10-01-2007   #73
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Yeah, but DiehardChris, something must be going on, or someone must have told the station something, or they wouldn't have been allowed the say what they did.

It was practically an editorial. They clearly wanted to get the word out to the public.

Me thinks some reporters should start asking some tough questions, like

"Hey Jerome, there's a rumor going around that you're yellow. Care to comment?"
Old 10-01-2007   #74
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Initially, I thought that the Texans should put him on the IR then release him. However, I've changed my position. They should let him come back when he is ready. Get clearance from his doctors, and agent that he is ready to play...

Then cut his soft #$$!
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #75
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yeah, but DiehardChris, something must be going on, or someone must have told the station something, or they wouldn't have been allowed the say what they did.

It was practically an editorial. They clearly wanted to get the word out to the public.

Me thinks some reporters should start asking some tough questions, like

"Hey Jerome, there's a rumor going around that you're yellow. Care to comment?"

AGREE!! Spencer Tillman is one of the most honest and direct commentators out there. He tells it like it is, very little sugar coating. He and Allen had the balls to call Mathis out. I liked that!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #76
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

This does appear to be a recurring theme with Mathis. Too bad - he has a lot of talent but that doesn't help if you refuse to play every time the going gets tough.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #77
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

He's a track guy and seems to just want to do track like stuff ie. take the kick off and smoke it up the field and beat everyone to the other end. Probably isn't to interested in getting the snott knocked of him fairly regularly as a WR would. Willing to risk it on the KO as he probably believes he will win most of those reaces. In fact, he probably sees it as a race. Also, track guys won't compete if they are knicked, if they can't go max they just don't go.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #78
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Something is up for sure. Now Andre Ware on 610 is saying he is fast but ne real field vision and that if someone will take him you should trade him.

Support our troops
Old 10-01-2007   #79
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I think Kubes is done with him. Might as well try to get something for him if they can.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #80
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Count me in your corner on this one, Pete.

I know what you're really worried about. You're worried that if we do lose to the Falcons, people will mysteriously forget about all the injuries, and the lack of pieces, the suspect secondary, and all that . . .

. . . and instead, they'll just throw all the blame at Schaub, right?

Sad to say this, but I think you have good reason to worry.
Don't be afraid and worried fellas. We are still all here and our issues remain - a secondary, fullbacks that fumble and for the first time that I can recall, awful decisions by Kubiak.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read