Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 10-05-2007   #181
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mathis???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Very convoluted.

If he had a problem with his shin, why would he be icing his ankle and wrapping his foot, which are both things that a reporter saw?
Did the trainer take questions from reporters yesterday? Kubiak made it sound like he was going to be available to do so, yet I've not heard anything.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #182
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
First of all, if this ends up being due to "blood clots," after such a long period of symptoms, I'm starting to worry about the caliber of people evaluating him. There are 2 types of blood clots: One is of the superficial vein system and is usually halmarked by redness and tenderness with some element of swelling along the vein. This condition is not dangerous and is treated conservatively with anti-inflammatories, compresses and limited elevation with early amblation. The other type of blood clot is the one most people fear..........that of the deep vein system........the typed that can break off and go to the lungs (pulmonary embolism) and kill a person. It is usually halmarked by diffuse, tender and uncomfortable swelling of a leg. Either can be caused by trauma. This far out of surgery, you would not expect blood clots to likely be related to the trauma of his surgery. Athletes have been known to have these problems simply from long period of immobility on plane trips. The latter type of clot is treated with bed rest (5-10days while being given parenteral blod thinners. After this period of time, the clots have stuck to the vein wall and are not likely to break off. Therefore ambulation is begun. Before the patient is allowed to go home, he is balanced out with oral blood thinner, usually Coumadin (with the other thinner discontinued)............This is oral regimen is usually continued for a period of approximately 6 months. Activities at risk for trauma for obvious reasons are discouraged until the blood thinners are discontinued. Whatever, the cause (and there are a list that would be unlikely in this case), diagnosis is relatively straight forward by simple clinical and doppler studies. Like I said, if this has indeed been of thrombosis origin, I would have to ask why his it taken this long to come up with the diagnosis.
Recently on TV and news paper there was info on a new technique where in doctors enter a tube & camera find the clot and literally clamp on to the sucker and pull it out. Supposedly, a lot safer system than hoping the clot sticks to wall or disolves enough to not be a danger passing through. Think more, it may have been more of a cork screw typr removal of the clot than a "clamp & remove". Anyway, my prayers are with Mathis.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #183
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Did the trainer take questions from reporters yesterday? Kubiak made it sound like he was going to be available to do so, yet I've not heard anything.
He sure made it sound like it with those numerous "you'll have to refer to Kevin" statements. So when is Kevin supposed to make himself available, or will he?

I may need to refer to CloakNNDagger here, but I'm wondering if the new HIPAA policy, which does not allow any medical information to be divulged except at the consent of both the player and the team, is coming into play here. First, there was this vagueness with AJ's injury, now this one with Mathis.

I'm wondering if I should start up a "guess the injury" pool.

Last edited by Marcus; 10-05-2007 at 09:38 AM.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #184
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2 View Post
This does appear to be a recurring theme with Mathis. Too bad - he has a lot of talent but that doesn't help if you refuse to play every time the going gets tough.
You're thier tagret domographic there Buffi.
Old 10-05-2007   #185
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

So when Jacoby comes back, is it safe to assume that he'll return kicks as well as punts?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #186
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
So when Jacoby comes back, is it safe to assume that he'll return kicks as well as punts?
Sort of sounded that way.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #187
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

News on Mathis and other injuries:

Head coach Gary Kubiak

Quote:
(on if anything is new today) “No, just some information on (Jerome) Mathis because I know you all want to know. He has a stress-related issue in his lower leg. There is still an evaluation process going on. He has what they call a hot spot that can, is it a stress fracture? We don’t know that yet, but he has a problem in there. Our issue right now is trying to make a decision of how long it’s going to be before he can get back on the field. As you all know, we have tough, tough situations going on at wide receiver with a couple of other guys out. So now this is three. We have to make a decision with the doctors on how long we think it’s going to take for him to get well and then we have a tough decision to make whether we put him on IR or we wait. That’s what we’re evaluating right now.”

(on WR Jerome Mathis’ roster spot on Sunday) “If we replace that spot, on Sunday, it will be replaced with Harry Williams, but we’re still in the process of making that decision.”

(on if they didn’t activate another receiver, would he dress four tight ends) “Yes, we could move our roster around. As far as having the 45 guys to play, it’s not an issue, whatever we do. I think we have a decision to make in the next 24 to 48 hours with Jerome (Mathis) and we’ll do that."

(on if there is the expectation that WR Jerome Mathis will be back by the end of the season) “I don’t know how to answer that right now because my mind is so on the game right now and that’s what I'm going up there to do this afternoon, to evaluate everything the doctors are saying, the amount of time they’re talking about it taking, and me and (general manager) Rick (Smith) have to sit down and see if we need to put him on IR and bring a player up and move on, or do we wait. I will know more as I’m talking to these guys this afternoon because, like I said, my focus today at practice was totally somewhere else. Hopefully you all understand that.”

(on if they are waiting on more tests) “No, we know. We know what the problem is and they’re evaluating the problem as we speak. We’ve been given some guidelines of what they think, but I want to talk to them personally. I have not been involved in the conversations with the doctors because I’ve been out here, getting these guys ready to play. I will be involved in that this afternoon. I will have more concrete answers from (head athletic trainer) Kevin (Bastin), and the doctors, and (general manager) Rick (Smith), and then we’ll make a decision.”

(on if it’s important to have the fourth receiver ready to play on Sunday) “To play with three receivers in a game is very, very difficult but we sent three out there last week and they played extremely well. If that’s something we have to do this week, if we think it gives us the best chance to win, we’ll go do it again. Our situation is what it is and we have to move on and that’s what we’re doing every day.”

(on RB Ahman Green’s status) “He practiced today much more. I would say he is still a game time decision, but it was very encouraging.”

(on WR Jacoby Jones’ status) “I would say exactly what I said yesterday. He’s behind Ahman (Green). He was out here; he did not do much. I would think it’s a tough call with Jacoby. It’s still a game time call, but let’s face it, he has not made the progress that Ahman has made.”

(on if he will use the same players on punt and kick returns) “Yes, and if Jacoby (Jones) is ready to go, then he’ll do both. But if not, then Dexter (Wynn) is the guy. You may see André Davis return kicks too.”

(on what he has seen from WR Harry Williams) “We liked what he did throughout the camp. (Special teams coordinator) Joe (Marciano) really likes him as a special teams player. He played really well as a special teams player. He’s a big kid. We’ve been repping him this week as if he’s going to play and going to be up and he’s responded and done well. But we have to look at the game plan of what we’re doing and see if it makes sense to bring him up this week. That’s what I have do.”

(on how RB Ron Dayne looked in practice) “He looked good. (He) had a real good practice yesterday, practiced well today. I’m expecting him to come back and run the football well."
Same leg as the foot he had surgery on BTW.
Old 10-05-2007   #188
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is what they are saying on the Chronicle now:

Quote:
The Texans finally have pinpointed what is wrong with Jerome Mathis' left leg, and it's enough to likely sideline him for the rest of the season.

After almost two days of testing, team doctors found a ''hot spot'' in the lower part of his leg, which is causing excruciating pain for Mathis during and after running. The Texans are expected to place Mathis, 24, on injured reserve and sign wide receiver Harry Williams off the practice squad for the game against Miami on Sunday at Reliant Stadium.

Full article here
Old 10-05-2007   #189
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Here is what they are saying on the Chronicle now:

Full article here
Pardon me in advance but...

#@%^!

That sucks!
Old 10-05-2007   #190
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I guess I need to adpot a new player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #191
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would imagine nobody is more upset about this than mathis himself.
He is just injury-prone, that's all there is to it. And it may or may not have anything to do with him being a former Track guy. In spite of goofeying off in
past years, everything I've seen indicates he's given it his best shot this time around.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #192
Htownsportsfan
All Pro

Rep Power: 127 Htownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respectedHtownsportsfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I would imagine nobody is more upset about this than mathis himself.
He is just injury-prone, that's all there is to it. And it may or may not have anything to do with him being a former Track guy. In spite of goofeying off in
past years, everything I've seen indicates he's given it his best shot this time around.
But what does it say that he has given it his best shot and still is going to miss the reast of the year. This is frustrating as hell! Mathis is a great threat as a reeturn man but if he cant make it a whole season he is doing the team an injustice by not having someone on the squad getting reps who might be able to help the team. Its just so damn frustrating year after year!

Support our troops
Htownsportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #193
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

It's official. Mathis is on IR, Harry Williams is now on the team off of the practice squad:

Quote:
The Houston Texans have placed WR Jerome Mathis on the reserve/injured list with a lower leg injury and signed WR Harry Williams from the practice squad to the active roster, it was announced today.

Williams (6-2, 187) spent the last week of the 2006 season on the Texans practice squad. He spent the past spring in NFL Europa with the Amsterdam Admirals where he caught 15 passes for 216 yards and two touchdowns. He added one two-point reception and one special teams tackle. Williams was originally a seventh-round pick by the New York Jets in 2005, he played in one game as a rookie.

Williams finished his collegiate career with 83 receptions for 1,584 yards (19.1 avg.) and eight scores in his four years at Tuskegee. He averaged 23.8 yards per kick return on 19 returns for a total of 453 yards. He appeared in 12 games as a senior in 2004 and produced a career single-season high with 43 receptions for 678 yards and three touchdowns.
Old 10-06-2007   #194
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2754 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

Craptastic.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #195
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 85740 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Sig updated. Hope to see you back next year J.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #196
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Man, what a bummer. Both our return guys out, 3 of 4 WRs out, RB out, center out...Schaub and our D seem to be our only hope. 2-0 seems so long ago now.
Old 10-06-2007   #197
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Man, what a bummer. Both our return guys out, 3 of 4 WRs out, RB out, center out...Schaub and our D seem to be our only hope. 2-0 seems so long ago now.
Yeah, no running game and backup receivers. Perfect recipe for more bad playcalling and more bad clock management, hey?

Sorry, just couldn't help myself.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007   #198
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Yeah, no running game and backup receivers. Perfect recipe for more bad playcalling and more bad clock management, hey?

its pretty hard to cook up ribeye steaks when all you got in the frig is chicken wings.
Old 10-06-2007   #199
dskillz
Veteran

Rep Power: 26 dskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performerdskillz is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Yeah, Kubiak did admit that coaching was a component in the loss last week. Hopefully that won't be the case this week. We are banged up enough not to have to overcome bad playcalling.
Old 10-07-2007   #200
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

McClain on 610 pregame show just "confirmed" that Mathis has a "lower leg stress fracture."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read