Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2007   #1
UTColumbus
Rookie

Default Darius Walker?

Has anyone heard anything re Walker's status? I know Zabransky was released, but didn't think he had been. In the one preseason game in which he got any significant carries he looked pretty good, seems pretty logical that the Texans should call him up from the practice squad this week what with Ahman out and Dayne dinged up.
Old 09-27-2007   #2
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Darius Walker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTColumbus View Post
Has anyone heard anything re Walker's status? I know Zabransky was released, but didn't think he had been. In the one preseason game in which he got any significant carries he looked pretty good, seems pretty logical that the Texans should call him up from the practice squad this week what with Ahman out and Dayne dinged up.
He's still on the practice squad.

He wasn't called up.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 30021 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

That sucks. The Texans should have taken this opportunity for Walker to play in front of a weak team.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
That sucks. The Texans should have taken this opportunity for Walker to play in front of a weak team.
Evidently, they don't feel that he is ready for the next level competition.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #5
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's still on the practice squad.

He wasn't called up.
What is it about him that Kubiak (or Sherman, he's the O.C.) doesn't like?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I haven't really discussed it with them but I would assume that not being ready or better than other players had something to do with it.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #7
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Walker is very versatile, but it's probably difficult for him to break away from tacklers at this level.

He would be good as a situational back when we need 3-4 yards, either on a screen pass, a short pass out of the backfield.

They probaly wants him to work hard on hitting the hole in the middle, we can use him on draw plays as well.

But it's hard to imagine him as a playmaker in the NFL.
He's not going to make people miss, JMO.

Last edited by 76Texan; 09-27-2007 at 06:31 PM.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2007   #8
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I haven't really discussed it with them but I would assume that not being ready or better than other players had something to do with it.
Well its high-damned-time you did!
;o)
Old 09-27-2007   #9
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well its high-damned-time you did!
;o)
Yeah!
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would guess that he'd like to have Walker eligible for the Practice Squad as long as possible.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #11
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd be willing QB protection and blitz pick-up are two of the things they are working on with Walker. These are traditionally the hardest 2 things for a rookie to pick up.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #12
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
I'd be willing QB protection and blitz pick-up are two of the things they are working on with Walker. These are traditionally the hardest 2 things for a rookie to pick up.
That would be my guess also. I know those shortcomings got Lundy a seat on the bench for a time last season.
Old 09-27-2007   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Luckily, Kubiak doesn't think that way.

There are no weak teams, and he wants every win he can get.

The goal is the play-offs, and we're not going to experiment with our players if we don't have to.

They can see things on the practice field. Things that would make them release David Anderson, and play Jacoby Jones in Week 1. If the guy has shown enough on the practice field, I have no doubt in my mind, that he would be active, with the current status of our backfield.
Old 09-27-2007   #14
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Again with that ...... we use two backs in this offense and both are not needed for picking up any blitz especially if one or both can receive . Also there is the slot back position (ex. reggie bush ) that darius can fill ! People get a grip this is a legitimate question especially when we talk about signing another wr because mathis is looking bad !
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #15
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
You are probably right about that.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #16
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
who all wishes chris taylor wasn't down? i'll bet some people would be livid if this were the same situation but with taylor instead of walker...although, it would be the perfect oppurtunity to see what you got...

i'm guessing we draft a rb next year, maybe 2nd rou................
we don't have a second rounder next year.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone refresh my memory.

Why was it that he went undrafted by 32 teams this year? Could it be the same reason why he can't make it off the practice squad? Possibly? No?

I know. We watched him run the ball when he played in college, at Notre Dame no less.

He just doesn't have enough quickness to overcome his lack of size. You have to block in the NFL, also. He just doesn't have it.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #18
real

Darius Walker never really impressed me with any part of his game.

He's a good interviewer though.
Old 09-28-2007   #19
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
Again with that ...... we use two backs in this offense and both are not needed for picking up any blitz especially if one or both can receive . Also there is the slot back position (ex. reggie bush ) that darius can fill ! People get a grip this is a legitimate question especially when we talk about signing another wr because mathis is looking bad !
First off, we do not alsways use 2 backs. There have already been plenty of plays run from 1 back sets.

Also it's fairly common knowledge that the hardest thing for a rookie RB to get a grip on is pass blocking/blitz pick-up. It's a combination of techniuqe and recoginition. Even the rookie RBs current playing are liabilities on blitz pick-up, but they offer enought to offset that, odds are that Walker does not.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I expect Dayne and Gado to get plenty of carries against their former employer. I also expect our FB to get a carry or two and some receptions. Fake it to Dayne, QB tosses to Leach.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read