Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 09-25-2007   #1
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10688 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Fans at Colts Game..

I have to give it up to my fellow Texans fans. We rocked Reliant. It was the loudest I have heard it in a very long time especially near the end when we were on defense. We showed what great fans we are and I loved it!Thoughts?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Fans at Colts Game..

I was only watching on TV, but I could still tell that the place was rockin. When Mathis had his TD they showed the crowd and everyone, and I mean every single person in the frame, was out of their seats and jumping all over each other. It looked like a crazy college game.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #3
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I am still hoarse from the game.
Old 09-25-2007   #4
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

alot of empty seats at kickoff though, i brought a cowboy season ticket holder to the game and he was impressed with the stadium, yet surprised at the number of empty seats for such an important game
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #5
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93882 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Watching it at home it sounded loud as hell after Mathis returned the kickoff for a TD.

Unfortunately, Manning has the uncanny ability to silence a crowd. Constant 3rd down conversions tend to quiet the crowd.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #6
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 114 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

I have asked/suggested/written/emailed you name it, but the Texans marketing dept needs a 30 minute before kick off siren to go off in the parking lot...heck, they need to do a series of sirens, 1 hour, 45 minutes and then 1/2 hour.

I was being very cognizant of the time and boom, it was 11:15 before we started wrapping up the pre game tailgate. We shut it down quickly and made it to our seats about 11:50.

It may help, heck, it can't hurt.
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I sit one row in front of Bud Adams' corporate seats. 7th row. Sometimes his company gives the tickets to Texans fans and sometimes not. Sometimes corporate people don't really care much because they tickets were give aways.

Third quarter.

Colts are 3 and 1. Trying to score. It is loud.

Right before the play, the guy behind me wearing a Tommy Bahamaesque outfit asks that I sit down so he can watch the game.

I tell him it is a FOOTBALL game. It's third and 1 and our team is on defense. If you can't stand up then, when can you stand up.

He left in the third quarter. We didn't miss him as his effect on crowd noise was similar to a potted plant. Actually, I have no idea who he was rooting for or if he had a rooting interest at all.

If you want to sit down the whole game, go to the club level or watch at home from your couch.
Old 09-25-2007   #8
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
I am still hoarse from the game.
Ha! Me too!

I had to bring some Luden's to the game, and that still didn't help.
Old 09-25-2007   #9
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
alot of empty seats at kickoff though, i brought a cowboy season ticket holder to the game and he was impressed with the stadium, yet surprised at the number of empty seats for such an important game
It was about 90% more crowded than it was for the Chief's kickoff, though.
Old 09-25-2007   #10
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 12626 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

I was definitely dissapointed with the attendance at kickoff. We made a point to shut it down at eleven and get in our seats. I'll bet it didn't even take 15 minutes to get sat, and when we got there I was shocked at how empty the seats were. I figured it would be hell getting in. It did seem like the upper and lower sections were pretty filled. What's up with that middle $ection?
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #11
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I was definitely dissapointed with the attendance at kickoff. We made a point to shut it down at eleven and get in our seats. I'll bet it didn't even take 15 minutes to get sat, and when we got there I was shocked at how empty the seats were. I figured it would be hell getting in. It did seem like the upper and lower sections were pretty filled. What's up with that middle $ection?
Club level. They come to only eat, and discuss business.
Old 09-25-2007   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 321362 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I have to give it up to my fellow Texans fans. We rocked Reliant. It was the loudest I have heard it in a very long time especially near the end when we were on defense. We showed what great fans we are and I loved it!Thoughts?
I'm still hoarse.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #13
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't going to say anything but since this thread was started, I'm going to speak my mind on this subject. Frankly, we did a poor job of supporting our defense. I'm very disappointed in the fans and have two bones to pick on this subject.

First, this may sound crazy but at the beginning of the third quarter when the Colts received the kickoff, the stands were still very empty. Before you knew it, the Colts drove the length of the field with barely a whimper from the fans. I was very disappointed.

This is a young defense that feeds on excitement. As fans, we needed to be there for them and we weren't. Bottom line is get your food/drinks and get you butts back in your seats and get ready to support your team.

Second, itís great that people get loud just before the snap, but we need to get loud and stay loud while the defense is on the field. Particularly, when the opponents are using no huddle offense to catch us off guard and wear down our defense.

If you watched the Colts closely when they were utilizing no huddle, the offense would mull around the line of scrimmage while Manning barked out orders. The Colts would line up at the line of scrimmage and then the fans would start to get loud. By now itís too late. Damage has been done. We needed to be loud the entire time to disrupt the play calling at the line of scrimmage. Force the Colts to go into a huddle. Give our defense time to catch its breath and make substitutions.

Bottom line is as fans who want to affect the outcome of the game, we failed.

Sorry if I rained on your parade.
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #14
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
You sure did, but what you said was true.
Old 09-26-2007   #15
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not bad mouthing the folks in the club seats as they are fans too. Just because their seats are more expensive that doesn't make them any less passionate...however, they do need to pry themselves away from the bars, sofas, and buffet tables and get their rear ends to their seats for kickoff.

Spoken from the Directors Club "Birds Nest", where we are "The Homefield Advantage".
Old 09-26-2007   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wasn't going to say anything but since this thread was started, I'm going to speak my mind on this subject. Frankly, we did a poor job of supporting our defense. I'm very disappointed in the fans and have two bones to pick on this subject.

First, this may sound crazy but at the beginning of the third quarter when the Colts received the kickoff, the stands were still very empty. Before you knew it, the Colts drove the length of the field with barely a whimper from the fans. I was very disappointed.

This is a young defense that feeds on excitement. As fans, we needed to be there for them and we weren't. Bottom line is get your food/drinks and get you butts back in your seats and get ready to support your team.

Second, itís great that people get loud just before the snap, but we need to get loud and stay loud while the defense is on the field. Particularly, when the opponents are using no huddle offense to catch us off guard and wear down our defense.

If you watched the Colts closely when they were utilizing no huddle, the offense would mull around the line of scrimmage while Manning barked out orders. The Colts would line up at the line of scrimmage and then the fans would start to get loud. By now itís too late. Damage has been done. We needed to be loud the entire time to disrupt the play calling at the line of scrimmage. Force the Colts to go into a huddle. Give our defense time to catch its breath and make substitutions.

Unfortunately, this is true. Meco was out there SEVERAL times waving his arms like crazy, and our fans still did NOT respond like they should have. It's just unfortunate that we have so many football illiterate fans that attend the games. Some of that is because Houston is such a large marketing area. Also because we have so many corporate owned seats, people who sell their tickets for profit on stubhub or e-bay, and don't give a rats flying butt who they sell too. Right now, I'm not sure we will EVER have a fan base like Green Bay, Oakland, Pittsburg, or even the Eagles. Just to many flakey people out there who go to the games to sit on their a**es!!!!! JMO
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #17
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I sit one row in front of Bud Adams' corporate seats. 7th row. Sometimes his company gives the tickets to Texans fans and sometimes not. Sometimes corporate people don't really care much because they tickets were give aways.

Third quarter.

Colts are 3 and 1. Trying to score. It is loud.

Right before the play, the guy behind me wearing a Tommy Bahamaesque outfit asks that I sit down so he can watch the game.

I tell him it is a FOOTBALL game. It's third and 1 and our team is on defense. If you can't stand up then, when can you stand up.

He left in the third quarter. We didn't miss him as his effect on crowd noise was similar to a potted plant. Actually, I have no idea who he was rooting for or if he had a rooting interest at all.

If you want to sit down the whole game, go to the club level or watch at home from your couch.
I had a lady two rows behind me, yell at me to sit down. First time that has ever happened. It was also the first time I played preacher and tried to channel the strength to allow her to use her legs and stand as others were doing. She did not seem to like it, but it got some laughs around us. Not sure if she was a Colts fan or an idiota so I gave the her the benefit of the doubt that she was an idiota.
Old 09-26-2007   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

yeah, we've got a long way to go if we want an elite homefield advantage.

The one gripe I have, beyond the inconsistent support for the D, is for fans to have an once of common sense and shut the heck up when our offense is on the field. In spite of the BIG SCREEN telling everyone to be quiet, and in spite of our players waving for people to be quiet, we still have quite a few football noobs that don't understand the very simple concept of yelling for defense, quiet for offense. This isn't baseball where you yell just because something exciting is finally happening.
Old 09-26-2007   #19
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
yeah, we've got a long way to go if we want an elite homefield advantage.

The one gripe I have, beyond the inconsistent support for the D, is for fans to have an once of common sense and shut the heck up when our offense is on the field. In spite of the BIG SCREEN telling everyone to be quiet, and in spite of our players waving for people to be quiet, we still have quite a few football noobs that don't understand the very simple concept of yelling for defense, quiet for offense. This isn't baseball where you yell just because something exciting is finally happening.
A lot of those noobs were in the BullPen and were wearing PALE blue and white! No kidding!! they made a hell of a lot of noise.
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #20
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, I screamed my lungs out! I was standing at least half of the game, I was in 139 and most everyone around me was doing the same.

When the called back the initial kick off for offsides, I looked at my buddy next to me and said "they shouldn't have given Mathis another chance, he is going to run this one back"......and the rest is history, it was pure pandemonium in that place when he broke free!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read