Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2007   #1
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Grading the Colts Game

My prayers go to Cedric Killings for a full recovery.

This is a difficult game to grade. On one hand, we are pleased with our showing but, on the other hand is this gnawing feeling that we could've taken them again.

WR - Grade=B. I can't give them a bad grade. Last week I said they needed to step up NOW and they did. Now, without AJ and JJ this week, they need to do it even more so. Andre Davis did very well, Mathis caught a ball or 2 as did Walter, and Jacoby was settling in very well, too. Seems like I'm leaving somebody out.

TE - Grade=B+. Owen Daniels is the man! I believe they can utilize him even more.

Oline - Grade=C+. Not a bad performance but, the running game was never there partly because the Colts stacked the line and partly because we aren't run blocking well yet. With McKinney out that will hurt our run game even more. Maybe they will give Chris White a shot but, it's doubtful. Gave up some sacks late in the game that hurt.

QB - Grade = C+. Schaub was not as smooth as in the 2 previous wins. Made some dumb mistakes. A top echelon team like the Colts revealed that Schaub is still a work in progress but, at least we can count on the progress!

RB - Grade=D. Not good. Can Darius Walker play?

DLine - Grade=B+. Another good game overall. It is too much to ask the front 4 to put alot of pressure on Manning with an excellent oline in front of him and very little blitz help.

MLB - Grade=A. Demeco came to play again and had a good game.

OLB - Grade=B-. Consistently better than I thought they would be. Just need 1 more really good playmaker here....

CB - Grade=B. Colts are a tuff game for our DB's but, surprisingly we held our own for the most part. Obviously, the plan was not to give up the big play and we accomplished that.

S - Grade=D. Manning exploited them all day and Boulware looked really bad at times and then seemed to settle in and looked okay. If he can continue to improve his coverage, he'll be okay. Tuff spot to have him play so many minutes against Manning, et al.

ST - Grade=A+. Just Excellent!

Coaching - Grade=C+. This is a tuff grade for me. On the one hand, the conservative offense and defense approaches drive me crazy but, on the other hand, they had the team in the game all day. I feel that they need to open up the offense more and utilize their weapons.

I believe we are a better team than the Falcons but, with all our injuries and the Falcons playing for respect and against Schaub, it may be a tuffer game than it should be.

With our injuries, I have to change my prediction to a solid 8-8 team with 9-7 possible.

Okay that's my take on it, what's yours?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #2
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grading the Colts Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
My prayers go to Cedric Killings for a full recovery.

This is a difficult game to grade. On one hand, we are pleased with our showing but, on the other hand is this gnawing feeling that we could've taken them again.
They arent as good as the media hype machine portrays them to be this year . They can be had .

Quote:
TE - Grade=B+. Owen Daniels is the man! I believe they can utilize him even more.
Defenses please keep covering this guy with a LB ....

Quote:
Oline - Grade=C+. Not a bad performance but, the running game was never there partly because the Colts stacked the line and partly because we aren't run blocking well yet. With McKinney out that will hurt our run game even more. Maybe they will give Chris White a shot but, it's doubtful. Gave up some sacks late in the game that hurt.
Average Gain per Rushing Play 2.4 yards.
Three sacks .
One Holding Penalty
I givem a big D-

Quote:
RB - Grade=D. Not good. Can Darius Walker play?
Can I play ?
Average Gain per Rushing Play 2.4 yards is just pathetic .
Thats a Big FAT F and I dont care if the Dolts put 11 guy's in the box .

Quote:
CB - Grade=B. Colts are a tuff game for our DB's but, surprisingly we held our own for the most part. Obviously, the plan was not to give up the big play and we accomplished that.
They tackled well and aside from one play kept everything in front of them. I givem a B as well . Its tough to ask your CB's to keep those guy's in check all day

Quote:
Coaching - Grade=C+. This is a tuff grade for me. On the one hand, the conservative offense and defense approaches drive me crazy but, on the other hand, they had the team in the game all day. I feel that they need to open up the offense more and utilize their weapons.
Thats kinda hard to do when they are all in the locker room on the trainers table .

Clock management in the 1st half wasnt so good .... Some of the play calling was less than desirable .... The challenge on the INT was a poor decision .

Despite all the injuries . Two turnovers and things stated above they still had a chance in the 4th quarter . I givem a C

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #3
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I agree with all but CB and RB.

CBs gave way too much cushion, and as a result Manning had 6 consecutive 3rd down conversions to start the game. C. Would be lower if they didn't prevent the deep ball so well.

RBs get an F. Jameel Cook was our top rusher with 15 yards. :/ That's terrible.
Old 09-25-2007   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

WR - Grade=B. The guys played pretty well. They caught almost everything that was thrown to them but that one interception is on Jacoby. He should have caught that ball. We really needed it. Other than that, everyone showed up and played. If AJ had been in there, he would have broken a tackle or two and taken them to the house. I thought JJ was going to get one but they got his ankle and brought him down.

TE - Grade=A-. I seem to recall a bad play by Bruener. Other than that, these guys are playing lights out.

Oline - Grade=C. For the most part, Schaub makes these guys look great. But Schaub was getting touched a lot more than I'd like. I remember one play where Schaub couldn't see because of the dirt in his face. However, one sack was totally on Schaub and another might have been as well. He was moving out of the pocket and just dropped the ball for no reason. And then on the last play of the game, he should have thrown the ball away as soon as he was out of the tackle box.

I would have liked to have seen this group get a little more push on the running plays but... damn, the Colts were loading the box.

QB - Grade = B. Like I said above, 2 of the 3 sacks were his fault BUT he also got us out of about 4-5 sacks we would have had last year by quick decisions and nice pocket presence. He completed 76% of his passes and didn't throw a single incompletion in the 4th quarter. Good lord. How good is this guy going to be when he gets some experience? He just made a couple of bad decisions.

RB - Grade=D. The only reason this isn't an F is because of Vonta Leach. Before the season started, the question was about Green's health. He's got to stay healthy. I can't believe I'm about to say this but... we need Dayne to stay healthy, too.

DLine - Grade=B. Overall, I think everyone played well. We got occasional pressure and we usually didn't surrender the line of scrimmage. Amobi got a nice sack. We kept them to less than 3.5 ypc.

MLB - Grade=A. What more needs to be said?

OLB - Grade=B-. I'm surprised we didn't suit Shawn Barber but as someone said in another thread, Boulware played his position and except for a couple of lapses early, played OK. Greenwood played fairly well. Unfortunately, I didn't see Danny do anything. I have to check the tape on that.

CB - Grade=B-. We did not get totally victimized. That's got to count for something.

S - Grade=C-. We could have gotten better play here, I think. We let Dallas Clark make too many big plays.

ST - Grade=A+. Duh.

Coaching - Grade=A. I'm OK with Kubiak's explanation for why he did some of the things he did. You can argue that it was too conservative but it almost worked. I've got to give him points on keeping us in the game even though we were without so many of our weapons and for keeping the team together after Killings went down. From where I was sitting, that incident alone really almost took the crowd out of it and I'm sure it rocked the team as well. Kubiak & Co. came up with a game plan for winning and then in the middle of the game, had to scramble to salvage as much of it as possible. And almost beat the world champs. Amazing work.

The next two games scare me. These are two wounded teams looking for their first win. And we're hurt. I'm hoping we're able to maintain focus and keep playing like we've been playing.

There are three games on our schedule that looked like sure losses before the season that are starting to look like possible wins: the Chargers, the Broncos, and the Saints. Tampa Bay and Oakland might be harder than expected. The hardest games are probably going to be Tennessee and Jacksonville.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #5
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected

On Jacoby's int ....... his left arm was being held down by the defender and the way the ball was thrown there was no way he could catch it with his right arm. Just one of those things.
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 382259 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
On Jacoby's int ....... his left arm was being held down by the defender and the way the ball was thrown there was no way he could catch it with his right arm. Just one of those things.
Yup--that was one of those plays that could have been ruled pass interference or not--the refs chose not.
Old 09-26-2007   #7
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 213038 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He had no shot at catching that ball . I'd have liked to see him attempt to knock it down in that situation .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ah, I couldn't see that from the stands. I'll have to go back and watch it on Tivo.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read