Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What are we missing

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Some (like myself) are upbeat. Some are depressed. But almost 1/4 into the season we know a few thing about this team. The good thing is I don't think we've really learned anything negative about this team so far. I think we've (or maybe just I've) learned a few positives about this team. We're better at certain things than I thought we would be. Here's my list of things learned.

1. Hiring Capers and Casserly was a mistake. We may never know what DC could have or should have been. He may never have been anything. We won't know because there is no question this team was built wrong from the ground up. We can debate wether Capers or Mc Nair was calling the shots. We can debate alot of things about the regime but we'll never agree. The bottom line though, is that even in today's NFL we were worse than an expansion team two years ago. We were 2-14, in cap trouble and had very little talent. Smith has come in and transformed us into a team who belongs on the field with the rest of the NFL in just over a year and a half.

2. We desperately need help in the backfield. Both of them. I've talked at length about Faggins, but our FS is no better. We also need help at RB. Green is nice. Don't get me wrong. But he's not going to hold up the entire season. That's just not going to happen for a 30 year old RB. He's a stopgap. We're not going to get 2 or 3 good years out of him. We really need to be considering our options now. How soon do you think you're ready? Do you want a guy who knows the NFL? Who has proven something at this level? Turner is your guy. If you subscribe to the theory (that I kind of do) that if we get a guy who can make one cut and go... that you're good... then maybe you look to take a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round of next year's draft.
You have to be looking at the CB of FS in round one.

3. The line is not as bad as I thought. I knew Schaub would make a difference. But man...
More later gotta finish this paper.. feel free to add.

About the RB, i look for a RB with break away speed in the draft, in the 2nd or 3rd round, I am looking for a trade down from our 1st to get more picks. I look at guys like Barber in Dallas and Jacobs of the NYG, they where taken in the 3rd or 4th round, they needed a little time to become NFL ready, blitz blocking is a must, and now they are starting. To many RBs are bust for me to pay the big bucks for a 1st rounder.

I like Felix Jones, but do not think he last until the 3rd.

On the Casserly years, what a joke. You build from the trenches out, he did try that in the expansion draft, Boselli and Young should have been bookends for a few years. But when it became obvious, they where not the answer no one was drafted to replace them. Also Capers as a HC is a joke, he is an above average DC, but he does not get it as a HC. I believe in attaching, both on offense and defense.

Want to go back to the trenches, if Casserly had gotten it, they would have taken the best player in the college draft in 2002, Peppers. They would have seen that Carson Palmer was going to be available in 2003, and they would have lost 15 games, to guarantee getting the best franchise QB in 5 years at that time. You have a player like Pepper and you design a defense around him, not say he does not fit our scheme. According to McNair they never even look at Peppers, and now you know why they sucked.