Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #21
hadaad
All Pro

Rep Power: 395 hadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respectedhadaad is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Green injury not "serious"

It reminds me of a name-shifting ball-toter we had a year ago. I, for one, am worried regardless of what the doctors or players say.
Old 09-24-2007   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't mean to imply that this was like Domanick Davis/Williams. I was just idly wondering if he was feeling any better and was interested in a game check or two. Then of course I laughed and shook my head at my own folly for thinking such a thing.

I wonder what RB's are out there right now. At one point there were a few guys looking for teams and waiting for phone calls. The Texans might be doing some shopping if things don't go as intended.
Old 09-24-2007   #23
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 28016 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think you are all jumping the gun. Green's swelling was due to contact not activity.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #24
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I was pretty critical of the Green signing, and this is why.

The Texans took the chance and it doesn't look like it is going to work out.

This next offseason, they are going to have to do something about the RB position and defensive secondary without using bandaids.

Those two positions have to be improved for this team to really compete in the AFC.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #25
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

This next offseason, they are going to have to do something about the RB position and defensive secondary without using bandaids.

Those two positions have to be improved for this team to really compete in the AFC.
Of course they'll be addressed in the off-season. We have fewer holes and a lot of cap room this year. Last year, we couldn't afford to do much- especially after spending money and picks to get a QB.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #26
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Does a running back with knee pain saying it is only swelling remind you of a knight saying it is only a flesh wound?
First a Animal house referance and now a Monty Python referance, you are on a serious roll.

Old 09-24-2007   #27
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Two words: Corey Dillon

Just kidding.
Old 09-24-2007   #28
Silver Oak
Hall of Fame

Section: way up the ramp
Rep Power: 560 Silver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respectedSilver Oak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does a running back with knee pain saying it is only swelling remind you of a knight saying it is only a flesh wound?
Old 09-24-2007   #29
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post

Yep. The good news is that those two positions look really deep for next year's draft.

Think the Chargers will trade LT? I mean he looks over the hill. If not, then LJ from the Chiefs?

Just kidding.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #30
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3247 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

No way once a rb gets a bad knee like this it is basically over they should retire . Green is only going to hurt the team by hanging on only to bow out after three hand offs .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #31
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

This is real good to hear . If Green would have been out for an extended amount of time , that would have really hurt us . I just hope this isn't a reoccurring thing with him .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #32
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

my inner monologue:

"Rick Smith......paging Rick Smith.....we need someone to bail us out of the knee-high sh*! we are in....please pick up a courtesy phone"
Old 09-24-2007   #33
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start On # 69 View Post
This is real good to hear . If Green would have been out for an extended amount of time , that would have really hurt us . I just hope this isn't a reoccurring thing with him .
This is what we know:

Green has a history with Green Bay of being nicked up, day-to-day kinda of thing. And has performed well even with that sort of stuff going on. Sherman knows that history.

Running backs over 30 sometimes succeed, but often times not so much.

With DD, the team seemed to make plans assuming that he was coming back and were in a bad situation when he wasn't. The team said they learned from that.

Publicly they are supporting both Dayne and Gado. Publicly they supported their young players last year, until they didn't.

Ron Dayne looked good at the end of last season. He also managed to injure himself during warmups before the Browns game.

Kubiak said Gado was rusty, that he can play better, and that the play calling didn't give him enough chances to get into the flow of things.

The Texans looked horrible last year when they relied on inexperienced running backs in their scheme last year. At some point, they decided that they had to go to plan B and got two guys who hadn't been in camp.

The Boselli Rule: You can't take what the Texans say about injuries at face value. That you get as much information about the injury that you can, and make your own assessment if you want a realistic estimate.

So what does this tell us:

The Texans aren't afraid of Plan Bs.

But they also may not learned that you can't assume players will be back, that you have to plan as though they will not be.
Old 09-24-2007   #34
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
The whole "nothing major - just a swollen knee" reminds me of DW. It's more than just a little disconcerting. Sounds a lot like "It's just a flesh wound!"
I swear I hadn't read your post when I put mine up.

I guess it really has that only a flesh wound feel of it.
Old 09-24-2007   #35
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

What i feel confident with is how the Texans held their own against the Colts and even with all our own turnovers and injuries...Hopefully they learned from them and Atlanta will be easier then Indy, so i'd rather we rest out hurt guys and see if the others can step up again.
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two words: Corey Dillon

Just kidding.
Why?

His first year was 1997 and he's played in 150 games. Ahman Green entered the league in 1998 and he's played in 129 games. Sure Dillon has more miles but he's consistently produced. IF for any reason we lost Green for the year I'd consider signing a Corey Dillon or a Stephen Davis (1996 and 143 games) to a one year "Merc" deal to fill the hole. It's either that or bring up Walker (not opposed to that either if they think he can do it) or sign some other "never was".

At this point it's either a "has been", "never was", or "wanna be". There aren't any quality unemployed backs just sitting around wishing they could carry the ball for someone.

I'd work him out tomorrow if I thought Dayne Couldn't go next week. Of course they do think Dayne can go next week so it's a moot point.
Old 09-24-2007   #37
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The whole "nothing major - just a swollen knee" reminds me of DW. It's more than just a little disconcerting. Sounds a lot like "It's just a flesh wound!"
Quote:
C'mon you two - the Texans staff said it wasn't that bad. So how bad could it be?
Old 09-24-2007   #38
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 276022 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
No way once a rb gets a bad knee like this it is basically over they should retire . Green is only going to hurt the team by hanging on only to bow out after three hand offs .
Good lord talk about over generalizing. Not all knee injuries are the same. Unless they are flat out lying--the MRI showed nothing structural and Kubiak said it is a nagging bruise from the KC game. Should AJ retire too?
Old 09-24-2007   #39
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
C'mon you two - the Texans staff said it wasn't that bad. So how bad could it be?
It may not be that bad. He may be alright come Sunday or one week from Sunday. I'm just saying that it doesn't sound all that great - especially considering his age.

I'm over 30 as well and I can tell you that the nicks don't heal that fast. 8-10 weeks in the gym these days is often cut to 5-7 weeks because the strains, pulls, etc. just don't heal as fast. So even with a tremendous athlete like Ahman it's hard to feel confident about injuries (especially soft tissue ones) because stuff just doesn't heal that fast anymore once you get past about 25.

He may be fine. I pray he is because I dig Ahman and loved him when he was working for Favre in GB and I still like the signing. This is a two back league, though, and our number two and three hardly strike fear into the hearts of anyone.

Finally, I think that with all of the injuries we may be seeing the fans lagging one year behind the team. Last year, if things went to sh*t on the field, you could see the team's collective heads and shoulders start to sag. This year, they don't panic and "keep chopping wood." On the other hand, I think that perhaps the fan base still has some of that "Here we go again" in them. Myself included.

I do trust Kubiak and Rick to do the right thing (they've rarely missed so far) so I guess I should just chill out, shut up, and wait to bust out the rally chickens for Atlanta.
Old 09-24-2007   #40
checo446
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 checo446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVPcheco446 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to checo446

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Of course they'll be addressed in the off-season. We have fewer holes and a lot of cap room this year. Last year, we couldn't afford to do much- especially after spending money and picks to get a QB.
Michael Turner should would look nice in a Texans uniform next year...
checo446 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read