Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Green injury not "serious"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5160059.html

Quote:
"It's nothing bad," Green said, "just swelling. I'm taking it one day at a time."

Green injured his left knee Sept. 16 against the Carolina Panthers. He tried to play through the pain Sunday against the Colts, but left the game at the start of the second quarter.

Green, 30, said he does not know if he will be able to play against Atlanta this week.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #2
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: Green injury not "serious"

I guess it is some good news, if he decides to sit at least Darius will probably get his shot.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #3
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 21 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

It is a long 16 game season. As much as I hope both Green and Andre can play next Sunday, I am happy to play without them both for two or three games if it means that they will make a full recovery and be healthy for the remaining 11 or 12 games.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I guess it is some good news, if he decides to sit at least Darius will probably get his shot.
I'd like to see Darius get his shot regardless of whether Ahman is healthy or injured. He is one of the only running backs that we have that is healthy and Gado offers nothing to the offense.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #5
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I'd like to see Darius get his shot regardless of whether Ahman is healthy or injured. He is one of the only running backs that we have that is healthy and Gado offers nothing to the offense.
I'd contend that he offers less than nothing, after yesterday. If you can't use Gado yesterday, then you can never use him.
Old 09-24-2007   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm kind of confused with the whole "How come Gado is entirely useless" thing too. It almost seemed to me like they could have just lined up Mark Bruener and got that much running game out of him. Gado and Cook were roughly equal to having no running game at all.

I'd activate Walker and see if we get one of those "Rookie's got some moves" days against Atlanta. Sometimes giving a highly motivated rookie a shot pays off big. Remember when Domanick Davis appeared from out of nowhere. One minute he's being drafted for returns and 3rd downs, the next minute it's like "Hey, that little rookie is our best running back!"

Give Walker the shot.
Old 09-24-2007   #7
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I'm kind of confused with the whole "How come Gado is entirely useless" thing too. It almost seemed to me like they could have just lined up Mark Bruener and got that much running game out of him. Gado and Cook were roughly equal to having no running game at all.

I'd activate Walker and see if we get one of those "Rookie's got some moves" days against Atlanta. Sometimes giving a highly motivated rookie a shot pays off big. Remember when Domanick Davis appeared from out of nowhere. One minute he's being drafted for returns and 3rd downs, the next minute it's like "Hey, that little rookie is our best running back!"

Give Walker the shot.

Yeah I'd give him a shot just for that reason...I mean you never know.

Look at what he did in preseason, he made the most out of the small carries he received...I mean you just never know look at Taylor last year. I say give the guy a shot, if Green is out for Atlanta what else do we have?
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2007   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

If Green is out for Atlanta then you have Dayne coming back from an injury and Gado. You're one bad play away from having the same non-existent running game that we had this week. I don't see how you don't go into that game with Dayne, Gado, and Walker all active.
Old 09-24-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

You know your 3rd running back is bad when Jameel Cook gets 1 less carry but more yards than Green's back up Gado.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #10
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Is Lundy still out there? IMO he was always better than Gado at least.
Old 09-24-2007   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Seriously Vinny, that's the truth.

It's almost like the reverse of the "Start somebody else besides Faggins because you never know, they might be better" except this pretty much got proven yesterday with the "Jameel Cook Test"

If Jameel Cook can run for more yards then tailback "x" then said tailback needs to be replaced. Try ANYBODY at this point.
Old 09-24-2007   #12
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

I'm certainly not opposed to giving the kid a shot. What can it possibly hurt?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #13
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
Is Lundy still out there? IMO he was always better than Gado at least.
I think he is still out there. There were rumblings that he'd go to Green Bay but I don't think that ever materialized (at least he's not listed on their roster).

I'd leave Lundy on the shelf for now, though, and at least contemplate trying to do something with Walker as opposed to Gado. I mean, if you're going to stick with Gado, you may as well sign me for the minimum salary. I couldn't do much worse and I'd be a darn sight cheaper.
Old 09-24-2007   #14
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
I think he is still out there. There were rumblings that he'd go to Green Bay but I don't think that ever materialized (at least he's not listed on their roster).

I'd leave Lundy on the shelf for now, though, and at least contemplate trying to do something with Walker as opposed to Gado. I mean, if you're going to stick with Gado, you may as well sign me for the minimum salary. I couldn't do much worse and I'd be a darn sight cheaper.
Yeah, i'd replace Lundy with Gado though. He's the only guy I can see getting in here from FA and getting in right away.
Old 09-24-2007   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Seriously Vinny, that's the truth.

It's almost like the reverse of the "Start somebody else besides Faggins because you never know, they might be better" except this pretty much got proven yesterday with the "Jameel Cook Test"

If Jameel Cook can run for more yards then tailback "x" then said tailback needs to be replaced. Try ANYBODY at this point.
Actually this is sort of a putting things in perspective deal.

Texans fans think it is bad when Jameel Cook loses games in his roll as a fullback.

No, that's not bad.

Bad is when Cook is your emergency running back and gets more yards than the third stringer he replaced.

As bad as it is having two playmakers injured (I worry that the injuries to AJ and JJ are worse than being currently reported), the running game is killing me because I don't think it is as plug and play as the WRs are.

Green hasn't played an entire game yet.

And it's only week 4 coming up.

And he is the only running back this year who has ran worth anything.

And he has vague "knee swelling" thing. Yeah, better than a torn or broken whazits, but swollen knees is not what you want to be hearing about your 30year old running back who is the only guy who has looked worth anything.

As good short term as the passing game has looked, the Texans really do need to be able to run the ball to make this offense hum. They can get away with using the tight ends more in the passing game (one of the better coached parts of the team, IMO), but the passing plays don't work as well when teams don't have to respect the run. Linebackers can drop into coverage easier (like in that redzone interception for example).

The running back situation is my number 1 concern with the team right now. Yeah, the defensive liabilities are obvious, but if the Texans can't run and have to pass, this could get ugly.

How many playmakers can a team lose and still make plays? Some on the radio think that the Texans, even with injuries are going to cakewalk through ATL and Miami, and I am guessing those teams seeing an injured Texans team on the schedule and sense blood in the water.

Are we back to the previous year's running back experiment? Last year, the Texans running backs were too young. And this year, they appear to be too old and injured or just not having it.
Old 09-24-2007   #16
Hervoyel
The Right Track

I am so thinking that right now TC. Atlanta and Miami were looking like sweet gimmies before we found out AJ was down and they were even looking like solid wins after we knew he'd miss it (but before the latest rash of hurt hit us).

Now they look like games we end up looking back on and thinking we left wins on the table because we were too beat up to take them.

Atlanta scares me. They're losing games while piling up yards. I don't want these guys to learn how to win during the week we visit them.
Old 09-24-2007   #17
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
How many playmakers can a team lose and still make plays? Some on the radio think that the Texans, even with injuries are going to cakewalk through ATL and Miami, and I am guessing those teams seeing an injured Texans team on the schedule and sense blood in the water.
I agree. I think Atlanta will be more than ready to:

1. Get their first victory
2. Deny Schaub a chance to beat his old team.

Add to this the real potential for a Texans letdown after an emotional game Sunday, and it spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E in my book.
Old 09-24-2007   #18
Hervoyel
The Right Track

I wonder how Domanick Williams knee is feeling these day?

Not really, just kidding.
Old 09-24-2007   #19
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1185 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

The whole "nothing major - just a swollen knee" reminds me of DW. It's more than just a little disconcerting. Sounds a lot like "It's just a flesh wound!"

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong but it just sounds that way. Just sayin'...

With regards to ATL, I was watching them yesterday and noticed two things:

1) Joey Harrington didn't look that bad
2) They actually have some weapons on offense including (please don't fall out of your chair) WR's. Turns out that Vick leaving had a similar effect on their WR's that Carr leaving had on our O-line.

I don't think they'll be a gimme game. Not at all. Especially not if we're trotting out practice squad caliber players. Of course, that's a lot of what we did yesterday and stuck around with one of the top 3 teams in the league.

Meh, we'll see. I still think we'll win but I'm anticipating some more gray hairs.
Old 09-24-2007   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Does a running back with knee pain saying it is only swelling remind you of a knight saying it is only a flesh wound?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read