Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #1
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The Colts aren't who we thought they were

Well, most people underestimated the Colts. Again. I don't get how everyone was expecting a win against the defending superbowl champs. Especially after losing Andre Johnson.

Ole Miss stated in another thread that the Colts are a really great team. Someone else in the injury thread commented on the fact that the Colts were the better team. People trashed them then, and are still trashing them now. "We were down offensive players, we got injured, <insert other lame excuse here>"

What matters is who won the game, and how they did it. We complained that we didn't get our respect when we beat down the Chiefs and the Panthers. Well, now its time to give respect to the Colts. They punched us in the mouth. Multiple times. You don't deserve to win when you are outplayed that badly.

HOWEVER, this loss is nothing to get upset over. Did we get beat? Oh yeah. But it was against the defending superbowl champions. And we only lost by 6 points. Schaub made some mistakes, but he also made some great plays with very little to work with. Our defense looked horrible against the pass, but they played great against the run.

So basically, I think everyone SHOULD have been expecting (not hoping for, but expecting) to be 2-1 at this point. So dont let it get you down

Last edited by gtexan02; 09-24-2007 at 10:12 AM.
gtexan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Colts aren't who we thought they were

easy position for you since you are an eternal pessimist.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Well, most people underestimated the Colts. Again. I don't get how everyone was expecting a win against the defending superbowl champs. Especially after losing Andre Johnson.

Ole Miss stated in another thread that the Colts are a much better team. Someone else in the injury thread commented on the fact that the Colts were the better team. People trashed them then, and are still trashing them now. "We were down offensive players, we got injured, <insert other lame excuse here>"

What matters is who won the game, and how they did it. We complained that we didn't get our respect when we beat down the Chiefs and the Panthers. Well, now its time to give respect to the Colts. They punched us in the mouth. Multiple times. You don't deserve to win when you are outplayed that badly.

HOWEVER, this loss is nothing to get upset over. Did we get beat? Oh yeah. But it was against the defending superbowl champions. And we only lost by 6 points. Schaub made some mistakes, but he also made some great plays with very little to work with. Our defense looked horrible against the pass, but they played great against the run.

So basically, I think everyone SHOULD have been expecting (not hoping for, but expecting) to be 2-1 at this point. So dont let it get you down
Huh? I thought they were EXACTLY what they showed.

Since their playoff run, everyone has had problems running on them. Much less the duo of Gado and Cook. Even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes.

The Colts offense is efficient because they are good and the key parts of it have worked together for a long time. They are hard to sack.

Their special teams are suspect. Who else had deja vu to the SB after Mathis' kickoff return?
Old 09-24-2007   #4
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually we were one turnover away from winning the game....and that's with several injured players.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #5
amazingandre
All Pro

texans starters>>>>>>colts starters
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #6
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
Actually we were one turnover away from winning the game....and that's with several injured players.
I agree. By no means do I think we played our best game, but I do think this game was impressive. They overcame injuries and put forth a very nice comeback run in the fourth.

If we don't throw the pick after JJ's return or the D get's a turnover, the W could've easily gone to us.

This is a different team, so one hardfought game isn't going to hurt us. It's 1/16 of the season. Let's pray to the healing gods and get ready for the falcons.
Old 09-24-2007   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I do not think the Colts are so superior to us that it was unrealistic to think we could win the game even without AJ in the lineup. There run D has improved ever since Bob Sanders came back from injury, no surprise that it was difficult to run on them. But there CB can be exploited and with more experience I see the Texans being able to do just that.

Like TC said it is extremely hard to sack them, not just because of O-Line play but because they run the slant play better than any team in the league right now. It is a quick pass play that negates almost any pass rush.

As far as getting punched in the mouth, we only lost by 6 points, I do not call that being punched in the mouth, to me it shows that the Texans are not that far away from being a very good team.

As far as getting upset, I was disappointed we lost, not upset and deffinately not mad.
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2007   #8
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 57275 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
easy position for you since you are an eternal pessimist.
Did you even read my post?

The point was that people shouldn't be getting so discouraged after losing a close game to a very good team.

Everyone got so cocky after going 2-0 that people are extremely let down by the loss yesterday. The fact is, the Colts are an amazing team and we only lost by 6. How is that pessimistic?
Old 09-24-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Did you even read my post?

The point was that people shouldn't be getting so discouraged after losing a close game to a very good team.

Everyone got so cocky after going 2-0 that people are extremely let down by the loss yesterday. The fact is, the Colts are an amazing team and we only lost by 6. How is that pessimistic?
It's an easy train of thought for someone pessimistic...pessimists kinda expect not to win so a loss is easy to accept. I've just had too much coffee this morning...ignore me.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Huh? I thought they were EXACTLY what they showed.

Since their playoff run, everyone has had problems running on them. Much less the duo of Gado and Cook. Even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes.

The Colts offense is efficient because they are good and the key parts of it have worked together for a long time. They are hard to sack.

Their special teams are suspect. Who else had deja vu to the SB after Mathis' kickoff return?

What exactly are you talking about?

Obviously the Colts played up to their reputation, but the point was that everyone here seems to be getting upset and doubting our players after losing a close game to an incredibly good opponent.

What do you mean, "even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes"? Those seem like opposing comments in my opinion?
Old 09-24-2007   #11
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1276 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
texans starters>>>>>>colts starters
What? You think the Texans have superior starting talent? Dude - step away from the Texans Kool Aid.

Houston played well and admittedly, they were short handed before and during the game. But the Colts are simply the better team.
Indy Skinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #12
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
It's an easy train of thought for someone pessimistic...pessimists kinda expect not to win so a loss is easy to accept. I've just had too much coffee this morning...ignore me.
I guess that makes sense...

but the point I was trying to get accross was to remain optimistic because we only lost by 6 to the defending champs
Old 09-24-2007   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

I really don't think the game was as close as the score indicated. Our offense could not get rolling. If you want to blame it on the injuries, by all means but the cold hard fact is that we lack depth. The Patriots scoffed at Assante's holdout. The Bears shooed Tank Johnson away. They are one of the best at their respective positions.

The Colts were exactly who I thought they were. I'm very happy with our defense here. Yeah, they scored thirty points on them. Manning racked up some yards but nobody broke open. They had to rink and dink to beat us and I'm happy with that. Peyton Manning is unreal although I'm getting tired of him and his theateric antics trying to 'call an audible' and pointing fingers all over the place. The man is a leader and he lead his team to a victory.

Faggins did a solid job. I don't agree with many of you guys. This was Peyton Manning here.

We have no depth and that's why we lost. Is it our fault? Absolutely not. It takes time to build a team and we're still building ours. I'm absolutely certain that the Texans will be another New England Patriots sort of team with Kubiak and Smith at the helm but this isn't going to be done overnight.
Old 09-24-2007   #14
amazingandre
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post
What? You think the Texans have superior starting talent? Dude - step away from the Texans Kool Aid.

Houston played well and admittedly, they were short handed before and during the game. But the Colts are simply the better team.
haha ok you beat our scrubs by 6.....congratulations
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #15
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 1276 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingandre View Post
haha ok you beat our scrubs by 6.....congratulations
3-0, a game up in the division, I'll take it. Over your scrubs or not.

BTW - I am curious, where exactly is the Texans superior starting talent. I really want to know where Houston has the edge in talent over the Colts?
Indy Skinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #16
gtexan02
Working?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post
3-0, a game up in the division, I'll take it. Over your scrubs or not.

BTW - I am curious, where exactly is the Texans superior starting talent. I really want to know where Houston has the edge in talent over the Colts?
I think you'll find that most people here will admit the Colts have the superior talent. Our DL has the chance of being better than yours, especially our DTs, but for now, you have the edge in many other positions
Old 09-24-2007   #17
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

After the emotions have settled in, I think I can look at the game more clearly.

I was surprised by how competitive we were. I HATE seeing that many injuries to our team, any team for that matter. But what I did like is what Dunta has been saying. There is no quit in this team. Schaub has had questionable throws (int's) in the redzone each game (3-1=2) but he doesn't let that get him down and keeps fighting. Our whole team is like that- they don't quit fighting and always think they are in the game and can win. This is good to see for out team.

We did better on defense than I expected. With that said, Peyton Manning had a near perfect game. Rookie Gonzalez dropped a couple passes, Peyton smartly threw away a few balls, all the others were right on the money. Supposedly PM isn't playing up to his speed yet, but played down right good. We gave up 1 big play to Wayne- I couldn't tell if Dunta was supposed to cover him or if they were playing zone or what not. Faggins has gotten A LOT of criticism. He played very loose coverage so no big plays would happen and succeeded. 54 yards 0 TD's? I think thats what I read but am unsure of it exactly. I think he should have played tighter coverage at the end of the game, if they get the first down they pretty much win the game and that happened.

We were in it untill the end a that is good to see. I really hope these injuries don't bite us on the rear b/c ATL and MIami should be two easy W's...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #18
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

In my case, I was EXPECTING a close loss with A.J. out for the game. I was pleasantly surprised that we STILL had that close loss after several other key injuries AND the costly turnovers were actored in.

I really felt that the guys "left it all on the field" yesterday. I'm not happy with any loss, but all things considered I still feel that a 4-1 start is VERY do-able.
Old 09-24-2007   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What exactly are you talking about?

Obviously the Colts played up to their reputation, but the point was that everyone here seems to be getting upset and doubting our players after losing a close game to an incredibly good opponent.

What do you mean, "even so, you can move the ball on their defense, and their defense can exploit mistakes"? Those seem like opposing comments in my opinion?
The title of the thread says that the "Colts aren't who we thought they were."

And my point are they are the SB winning Colts. Not a perfect team, but a very accomplished team. Their offense played like their offense plays, their defense plays like their defense has been playing and their special teams is not terribly good outside their kicker. They are who we thought they were.

Their defense against the run has been very good since their playoff run, but teams CAN move the ball on them, and they hope that teams trying to beat them one-dimensionally through the pass and makes mistakes.

If they can make teams play catchup ball or can make them feel like they have to throw, teams will throw against them. move the ball, but maybe make mistakes while only passing because the Colts know the opposing teams are going to pass.
Old 09-24-2007   #20
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: The Colts aren't who we thought they were

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BCarrFree View Post
Lack of execution (I lump turnovers into that category + injuries = the loss. We could have one that game. One less turnover, or (maybe) Green and Dayne and we win.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read