Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #101
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My least favorite excuses today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Everyone was getting picked on back there not just faggins. Some of those key conversions came on Robinson, Boulware & Greenwood too. We were overmatched & i truly don't think that there was much we could've done back there to stop the onslaught.
Faggins was beat up and abused yesterday, stop making excuses for the poor play. Yes Boulware got beat by clark (Boulware is not a starter...Faggins is), but Dunta did his job and had a good game...........Faggins did not.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #102
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
I know this is getting thrown around, but Fletcher did not get burned worse than Petey. Gonzalez had 2 catches the whole game and the 1st catch came when the Texans were playing zone and Gonzalez sat down in it.

Sometimes you make a change to send a message, and if Faggins keeps up his play a message needs to be sent. Look at my name, this is what you get when you support a subpar player for 5 years. There is no difference between Fletcher and Faggins, the only difference is, one has proved that you can burn him time and time again.
Fletcher was just lucky that gonzo dropped 2 passes, 1 of which would've been a huge gain & Fletcher was no where in sight.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #103
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87506 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Faggins was beat up and abused yesterday, stop making excuses for the poor play. Yes Boulware got beat by clark (Boulware is not a starter...Faggins is), but Dunta did his job and had a good game...........Faggins did not.
Not making excuses for his poor play, but manning didn't get all of his nearly 300 yds passing on Faggins & backups they were all torched. Clark was the passing threat that killed us more than anything.
Old 09-24-2007   #104
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fletcher was just lucky that gonzo dropped 2 passes, 1 of which would've been a huge gain & Fletcher was no where in sight.
So I guess he was also lucky on that one play where he got a hand on the ball and tipped it before Gonzo even had a chance to drop the ball also.

Fletcher atleast tries to make plays on the ball, I'd rather have a back go down in flames of glory than one that just cowards in the corner.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-24-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2007   #105
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not making excuses for his poor play, but manning didn't get all of his nearly 300 yds passing on Faggins & backups.
I'm not saying he did, but the fact remains that there's really no difference between Faggins and what we have on the bench. Who knows, we might get lucky and find a better player. If your #2 corner is hurting you time and time again, what does it hurt to take a look at what you have on the bench?
Old 09-24-2007   #106
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To me Peyton did a good job of finding the slot WR3/TE when Faggins played the outside shoulder trying to force a re-route inside (Faggins getting help). The team couldn't help both of those spots at once so when the Colts were in a spread, the defense was just not able to disrupt Manning enough to do anything about our liabilities in coverage in both of these areas. If we only had one liability in coverage we could have covered it (hid it) better.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #107
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
So I guess he was also lucky on that one play where he got a hand on the ball and tipped it before Gonzo even had a chance to drop the ball also.

Fletcher atleast tries to make plays on the ball, I'd rather have a back go down in flames of glory then one that just cowards in the corner.
pretty much, just like CC Brown was lucky last week when he blindly knocked the ball out of carter's hands on that sure TD that Delhomme under threw.

Gambling CB's are in many ways worse than "safe" CB's. You didn't get enough of "showtime" P. Buch lunging at the ball, getting there too late & Wayne/Harrison scampering for another 10 yds in yac?
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2007   #108
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
pretty much, just like CC Brown was lucky last week when he blindly knocked the ball out of carter's hands on that sure TD that Delhomme under threw.

Gambling CB's are in many ways worse than "safe" CB's. You didn't get enough of "showtime" P. Buch lunging at the ball, getting there too late & Wayne/Harrison scampering for another 10 yds in yac?
First of all, that tipped ball was NOTHING LIKE CC just blindly running down the field, knocking down the pass and..

Second Faggins is NOT a "safe CB", unless your the opposing QB and you can safely get a 7 to 8 yard pickup for a first down.

A cornerback's job isn't just to "be there and make the tackle" it's to disrupt passes. So far Faggins in in over his head and drowning.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-24-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-24-2007   #109
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
First of all, that tipped ball was NOTHING LIKE CC just blindly running down the field, knocking down the pass and..

Second Faggins is NOT a "safe CB", unless your the opposing QB and you can safely get a 7 to 8 yard pickup for a first down.
By safe i mean, not letting them beat you deep, trying to keep everything in front of you, which is the objective of a cover 2. In addition to the respect factor to harrison, that also explains the huge cushion that was given.

You could put someone else out there in his place, but i doubt the results would change very much, especially if Kubes & smith feel that they don't need to put their #1 CB on the teams' #1 WR. There is no way Faggins should be holding the opposition's #1 WR at any time.

I know it's zone coverage & both DB's are doing the same thing on both sides, but still.
Old 09-24-2007   #110
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
By safe i mean, not letting them beat you deep, trying to keep everything in front of you, which is the objective of a cover 2. In addition to the respect factor to harrison, that also explains the huge cushion that was given.

You could put someone else out there in his place, but i doubt the results would change very much, especially if Kubes & smith feel that they don't need to put their #1 CB on the teams' #1 WR.

I know it's zone coverage & both DB's are doing the same thing on both sides, but still.
I believe our #1 corner was on their #1 WR............Wayne is now a bigger threat than Harrison and has been for a couple of seasons.
Old 09-24-2007   #111
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe our #1 corner was on their #1 WR............Wayne is now a bigger threat than Harrison and has been for a couple of seasons.
They have Dunta lining up on the weakside and they don't move him around much....That's just where Wayne lines up all the time.

Old 09-24-2007   #112
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Nope, harrison is still the # 1, manning is always looking for him 1st mainly b/c of chemistry. plus harrison has the better hands of the 2. Wayne is just that good & could play #1 for many a team in the NFL & he's got a mismatch on any teams #2 CB.

This happened last week though when Smith got his 2 early TD's. they need to change that
Old 09-24-2007   #113
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
They have Dunta lining up on the weakside and they don't move him around much....That's just where Wayne lines up all the time.
In the Carolina game I know they had Dunta going against the #2 receiver, I guess their thinking was.....we can shut down that side of the field and stop the other with Faggins + help..........turns out that didn't work all that well.

In the Colts game, it's pretty much pick your poison, because despite the fact that Wayne can be a #1 on most teams.......he can be a #1 on the Colts team. (I really think as of September 24th, 07.....Wayne is the biggest threat on the Colts team)

Look, I'm not bashing Faggins just to thrash a player, I just want better play out of that position and if he gets beat again by the Falcons then we need to move on, because if he can't even hold up against the Falcon receivers, then there's no reason to continue to waste snaps on him...........next week his excuse of going against a "all time great" receiver goes bye bye.....he needs to show up and play.......for his job.
Old 09-24-2007   #114
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
In the Carolina game I know they had Dunta going against the #2 receiver, I guess their thinking was.....we can shut down that side of the field and stop the other with Faggins + help..........turns out that didn't work all that well.
you haven't noticed but Dunta just lines up on the weakside and they don't like to move him around....OC's see this and go after Faggins. I think this is an OK philosophy if you have two CB's of equal or nearly equal value, so I think that it is a coaching issue when you have one CB that is clearly superior to the other one. OC's aren't dumb and they see that the Texans always line Dunta up on the weakside....so it's easier to exploit our coverages when they don't move Dunta around.

Old 09-24-2007   #115
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Look, I'm not bashing Faggins just to thrash a player, I just want better play out of that position and if he gets beat again by the Falcons then we need to move on, because if he can't even hold up against the Falcon receivers, then there's no reason to continue to waste snaps on him...........next week his excuse of going against a "all time great" receiver goes bye bye.....he needs to show up and play.......for his job.
Agreed.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #116
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
you haven't noticed but Dunta just lines up on the weakside and they don't like to move him around....OC's see this and go after Faggins. I think this is an OK philosophy if you have two CB's of equal or nearly equal value, but I think that it is a coaching issue when you have one CB that is clearly superior to the other one. OC's aren't dumb and they see that the Texans always line Dunta up on the weakside....so it's easier to exploit our coverages when they don't move Dunta around.
I have noticed this and also questioned our coaching in another thread

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...473#post743473

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showthr...465#post743465
Old 09-24-2007   #117
Vinny
shiny happy fan

It didn't seem you made the connection from the posts. You keep asking why they are putting Faggins on the best WR and I'm just trying to say that the Texans are taking a passive approach and letting the offense dictate who is covering their best WR by always playing Dunta on the weakside. They like to line them up the same way all or most of the time as per philosophy.

Old 09-24-2007   #118
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
you haven't noticed but Dunta just lines up on the weakside and they don't like to move him around....OC's see this and go after Faggins. I think this is an OK philosophy if you have two CB's of equal or nearly equal value, so I think that it is a coaching issue when you have one CB that is clearly superior to the other one. OC's aren't dumb and they see that the Texans always line Dunta up on the weakside....so it's easier to exploit our coverages when they don't move Dunta around.
This has been their philosophy going back years now and it has frustrated me similarly. Most OCs seem to exploit it and I don't understand the "football reasoning" behind it.
Old 09-24-2007   #119
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 222419 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
To me Peyton did a good job of finding the slot WR3/TE when Faggins played the outside shoulder trying to force a re-route inside (Faggins getting help). The team couldn't help both of those spots at once so when the Colts were in a spread, the defense was just not able to disrupt Manning enough to do anything about our liabilities in coverage in both of these areas. If we only had one liability in coverage we could have covered it (hid it) better.
So, if Faggins is a decent nickel back, shift him over to the slot WR on 3-wide sets and play Fletcher + a safety on the outside. I suspect we'd see that Faggins isn't any better at nickel, but I'm open to finding out for sure, and the coaching staff can work on masking that weakness at CB2 instead of weakening two spots.
Old 09-24-2007   #120
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
It didn't seem you made the connection from the posts. You keep asking why they are putting Faggins on the best WR and I'm just trying to say that the Texans are taking a passive approach and letting the offense dictate who is covering their best WR by always playing Dunta on the weakside. They like to line them up the same way all or most of the time as per philosophy.
I've already said Dunta was lined up against their biggest threat receiver, (at this time, Wayne is a bigger threat than Harrison) so I'm not asking why "they keep putting Faggins on the best WR".

and I really don't understand why this is even a topic, Faggins needs to elevate his play regardless of what's going on, the guy is Toastie McGee.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read