Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #81
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My least favorite excuses today

I still can't figure out how anyone of you guys think that Fletcher can outplay Faggins when he struggled to cover the rookie Gonzo yesterday.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #82
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
He is making a football point. He is criticizing your statement, and not you.

Moderators here are just fans like anyone else. He is not attacking you, but he is saying your argument is absurd and silly. There's a difference.
Don't we make statements to show what we believe. We don't know each other, so calling my statement absurd and saying what I believe is silly is indeed a personal shot at me.

Anyways, I think that Fletcher did well this preseason. Many of us thought that he would get his shot on the field. I would say move Hutchins down to CB and see how that fairs but with Earl and Simmons out we are really thin there.

I know that Fletcher didn't do too well this weekend, but I am having a tough time seeing the difference in his lack of production compared to Faggins. As some have said, we were playing the Colts.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #83
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

What's so funny about this is that Faggins held Marvin Harrison down two years ago. He did a great job in that game. I wish that Faggins would show up.
Old 09-24-2007   #84
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
What's so funny about this is that Faggins held Marvin Harrison down two years ago. He did a great job in that game. I wish that Faggins would show up.
Harrison had less tehn 60 yrds and 0 TDs yesterday. Which is still pretty good for any DB covering Harrison, and that includeds all the 1st downs.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #85
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
He's the same player....the Coaches had him in a soft cushion technique yesterday, and I bet that Faggins was mixing up his techniques and played some press back then while we mixed in a few blitzes on that day (likely)...they obviously didn't want any big plays on that side of the ball and he didn't give up any huge plays but he gave up plenty of easy short passes...I didn't find the defensive game plan all that deceptive personally. We were pretty vanilla the entire game.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #86
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

This entire conversation makes no sense to me. I don't know anybody who doesn't think that Faggins needs to be replaced (most everyone seems to be in general agreement about this) but I can't help but think that if somebody riding the pine was going to be an improvement over him then that somebody would be in there already.

I just think that the secondary is going to have to wait until we get to the off-season before it can be fixed. As I understand it we're making progress on getting rid of the bad contracts we've given out in the past and once we're in the clear on those we'll be able to go shopping for real help back there in free agency and the draft.
Old 09-24-2007   #87
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 303034 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Harrison had less tehn 60 yrds and 0 TDs yesterday. Which is still pretty good for any DB covering Harrison, and that includeds all the 1st downs.
That's part of something some folks are missing--Manning was not hitting the Texans deep yesterday as he does on most weekends.

First two games, Manning had 13 plays over 20 yards and 2 over 40.
Against the Texans he had 3 plays over 20 yards (1 to WR, 2 to TE's--none covered by Faggins by the way) and 1 over 40 yards (also not covered by Faggins).
Old 09-24-2007   #88
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That's part of something some folks are missing--Manning was not hitting the Texans deep yesterday as he does on most weekends.

Against the Texans he had 3 plays over 20 yards (1 to WR, 2 to TE's--none covered by Faggins by the way) and 1 over 40 yards (also not covered by Faggins).
You won't see Dunta get beat on a double move that many times. But, I wish that we had a another shut down corner so that we could play a little bump and run, and throw some blitzes in there.
Old 09-24-2007   #89
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I still can't figure out how anyone of you guys think that Fletcher can outplay Faggins when he struggled to cover the rookie Gonzo yesterday.
I didn't pay that much attention to Fletcher and Gonzo yesterday. So I wasn't aware that he did that bad.

However, I didn see Boulwares whiff on Clark right in front of me. I wondered why he couldn't jam him, especially being on the goaline. No matter what someone should jam the TE, whether run or pass, especially that close to the endzone.
Old 09-24-2007   #90
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post

Nope, just everytime Manning needed a first down or a clutch throw and catch, he went to Faggins.

I'm not looking at the stats, I watched the game and watched Faggins get burned time and time again. I really don't care if Faggins gave up only 60 yards, I'd rather him give up a 100 and a score rather than give up mulitiple 3rd downs leading to long drives and multiple scores.

I also don't understand the argument.........."lets just stick with Faggins, because we have nobody better", if Faggins doesn't pick up his play, especially next week against the Falcons, we need to throw somebody else out there. I mean atleast you can rotate CBs in and out keeping them fresh (while sending a message to Faggins at the same time), because you certainly aren't going to get a drop off in performance. Anybody can just stay back and not get beat deep.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #91
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Give credit where credit's due. Manning & the colts are a very good football team & we're just not there yet. manning/harrison/wayne/clark have made some of the most accomplished defenses look like high schoolers at times. manning likes to pass & we're "light" in the secondary, you had to know that we were going to struggle against them in that regard.

We had opportunities & we didn't capitalize even after 3 VERY key cogs were forced to sit out or left the game with injuries. lets move on to the next opponent people, b/c based on how we've played & our upcoming schedule, we've got a real good shot to be 6-2 by half way point in the season. Then, the playoffs become a real possibility @ that point.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #92
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Nope, just everytime Manning needed a first down or a clutch throw and catch, he went to Faggins.

I'm not looking at the stats, I watched the game and watched Faggins get burned time and time again. I really don't care if Faggins gave up only 60 yards, I'd rather him give up a 100 and a score rather than give up mulitiple 3rd downs leading to long drives and multiple scores.

I also don't understand the argument.........."lets just stick with Faggins, because we have nobody better", if Faggins doesn't pick up his play, especially next week against the Falcons, we need to throw somebody else out there. I mean atleast you can rotate CBs in and out keeping them fresh (while sending a message to Faggins at the same time), because you certainly aren't going to get a drop off in performance. Anybody can just stay back and not get beat deep.
Why? So we can watch Fletcher get burned worse then Petey?

You make a change whenit will make an improvement in your team, you do not make a change to just make a change.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #93
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I also don't understand the argument.........."lets just stick with Faggins, because we have nobody better", if Faggins doesn't pick up his play, especially next week against the Falcons, we need to throw somebody else out there. I mean atleast you can rotate CBs in and out keeping them fresh, because you certainly aren't going to get a drop off in performance. Anybody can just stay back and not get beat deep.
Who? Who would be your rotation of better cornerbacks?

I find that it usually much easier to criticize than it is to come up with workable solutions.

It wouldn't surprise me if ATL dinks and dunks on the Texans all day long like they did to Carolina. Why run the ball if you can throw it at will?
Old 09-24-2007   #94
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Who? Who would be your rotation of better cornerbacks?

I find that it usually much easier to criticize than it is to come up with workable solutions.
I look at it this way. With any team, any sport, any defensive/offensive unit, you choose a group of guys to go to battle with. You choose as best as you can to develop a roster that will carry you through the season and hopefully win a majority of its games.

The Texans have chosen to assign Jamar Fletcher to the second string CB position. If Faggins were to go down, or not produce like he should, then obviously someone else should get a crack at it.

I think we should try whoever is next in line.
Old 09-24-2007   #95
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
What I'd like to see is a little imagination on defense at times. Line Dunta up on the slot from time to time like the Capers regime did....utilize his blitzing skills along with DeMeco mixing it up here and there. When DeMeco creeps up to the line and never blitzes...I donno how that "tricks" anyone.

I agree Vinny. I kept yelling at Richard Smith from 4 levels up (doubt he heard me) to do something different. BLITZ occasionaly. I thought Smith would make some adjustments at halftime but he didn't. I don't blame the players for the loss, this loss is on the coaches. The players gave it everything they had. Like the nike commercial, leave nothing.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #96
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yeah here is a message I want our coaches to send "You are playing to the best of your abilities & we have no one better than you that stepped up, so we are going to put you back on the bench."
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #97
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Everyone was getting picked on back there not just faggins. Some of those key conversions came on Robinson, Boulware & Greenwood too. We were overmatched & i truly don't think that there was much we could've done back there to stop the onslaught.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #98
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I agree Vinny. I kept yelling at Richard Smith from 4 levels up (doubt he heard me) to do something different. BLITZ occasionaly. I thought Smith would make some adjustments at halftime but he didn't. I don't blame the players for the loss, this loss is on the coaches. The players gave it everything they had. Like the nike commercial, leave nothing.
I was watching on tv but I heard you. I thought Smith turned and gave you a thumbs up? Maybe it wasn't his thumb though.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #99
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84801 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Why? So we can watch Fletcher get burned worse then Petey?

You make a change whenit will make an improvement in your team, you do not make a change to just make a change.
I know this is getting thrown around, but Fletcher did not get burned worse than Petey. Gonzalez had 2 catches the whole game and the 1st catch came when the Texans were playing zone and Gonzalez sat down in it.

Sometimes you make a change to send a message, and if Faggins keeps up his play a message needs to be sent. Look at my name, this is what you get when you support a subpar player for 5 years. There is no difference between Fletcher and Faggins, the only difference is, one has proved that you can burn him time and time again.
Carr Bombed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #100
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I believe the Texans were employing the bend but don't break philosophy. Which means, they wanted to give up FGs instead of big play TDs. It didn't work to well in the first half, but they did a good job of it in the 2nd half.

If they had AJ and Green healthy on the offensive side of the ball, it would have been a good strategy that had a good shot of being successful.

It's real simple, the more big plays Manning gets, the more offensive possessions he gets. The Texans held the Colts to 30 points. That is pretty good considering the circumstances.

Bottom line, the Texans were trying to slow the game down considering the personnel they had for Sunday.

Faggins is an issue as a 2nd corner. But, he is the best we got for the rest of the year.

Smith will address this issue in the offseason. Every thing they have done thus far, they have addressed. CB and RB are the next positions to get addressed directly without bandaids.

One thing at at time...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read