Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #61
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My least favorite excuses today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Have you played football?

Does anyone in this thread realize that this is about the team? About a defensive unit?

Come on... For years it has been the same. You bench the guy that lets your team down that much. How do you think the front four feel whenever they get good pressure, but Faggins gives up the score because he can't hold up his end of the job? They ran the ball at him twice on the goalline, and neither time did he look like an NFL corner and both times they scored.
Just relax. Faggins is the best we have right now for the 2nd corner position.

They will address this issue in the offseason.

Example, David Carr!

Also, I believe the players will rally around Faggins anyway. He is being asked way more than what he is capable of.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #62
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
We only lost by six to the SB champs.

The score was never that close, in terms of play or score.
You know, like it or not that's how people tend to beat Indianapolis. As much as it sounds like I'm about to have a "Dom Capers Moment" you try to hang close and win it in the fourth. We didn't leave enough time on the clock to drive down and win it but we did come back on these guys.

Their last four possessions they went punt, FG, FG, punt. That is what normally passes for keeping Indy's offense in check. It's not that that's great or anything but it's not shabby.

Our final four possessions went INT, TD, TD, End of Game. Now Schaub threw that pick when we were on Indy's 18 yard line. If the Texans take that in for a TD instead of wasting Jacoby's long punt return then the ball game could have gone in an entirely different direction. We scored those late two TD's with almost none of our primary weapons.

We came close, we lost, it happens. On to Atlanta. I find it encouraging that no matter whether it's been home or away, with or without injuries our team has come to play every single game so far. We didn't pull a no-show against Indy. We played them fairly tight IMO. We just don't have the firepower they have.
Old 09-24-2007   #63
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Umm, Vinny my life is football. You always give the other guy a shot...
Not when you know he is not as good as the guy you are pulling out of the game.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #64
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Umm, Vinny my life is football. You always give the other guy a shot...
life is like football....I can agree with that....you put in something that doesn't work as well and you get worse results. That's how it usually works for me. Did you even pay attention to #21 yesterday?

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #65
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Not when you know he is not as good as the guy you are pulling out of the game.
We can agree to disagree.

I believe that as a coach you should be accountable to your players and your players are accountable for what they put on the field. If one link in the chain breaks then try to mend it the best way possible.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #66
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Have you played football?
Yes, actually I've played a lot. Played a lot of sports through the years and football was my favorite.

Even so, I am not available to replace Petey Faggins. I'd consider it if the contract was really good though.
Old 09-24-2007   #67
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Yes, actually I've played a lot. Played a lot of sports through the years and football was my favorite.

Even so, I am not available to replace Petey Faggins. I'd consider it if the contract was really good though.
It was a rhetorical question to you and every other Faggin apologist. As you could see when in the next sentence I addressed everyone.

Honestly though, if you were on the bench behind Faggins, I would say give you a shot.
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2007   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I kinda wanted Revis in the draft because I didn't consider Faggins a legit CB2. The Texans wanted an interior lineman more than a cb....so we have Okoye. I'm not too bent over that since Okoye looks like he is going to be a player...but you can't fix everything at once. Fletcher certainly isn't a good option at CB2 and while Faggins is a liability, he is the best player we have for the position right now. Nothing is going to change that I don't think.
Exactly my desires too. Glad we have Okoye but thought a CB like Revis would do more to shut down the passing game, especially with all the additions at LB & with TJ playing better, our DB would have looked a lot stronger. I guess a Dlineman gets more opportunities to effect a game than CB.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #69
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 19226 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a rhetorical question to you and every other Faggin apologist. As you could see when in the next sentence I addressed everyone.

Honestly though, if you were on the bench behind Faggins, I would say give you a shot.
Even if you knew that the guy on the bench was playing behind Faggins because all through camps and practice Faggins has out played him?

If that's the case, then I'm quite glad that you aren't the Texans coach.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #70
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was a rhetorical question to you and everyone other Faggin apologist. As you could see when in the next sentence I addressed everyone.

Yes, I realize that. It was a joke instead of me blasting you for ignoring what I wrote, and instead chosing to make me the subject.

I'm not a Petey apologist, I just realize that the guys on the bench aren't likely going to be *THE ANSWER.* As I said, Fletcher has had his own problems and IIRC Bennett has had some injury issues and is also a rookie. As bad as Faggins played last year, the entire defense played better after he came back from injury.

My 40 time isn't the best. But me starting instead of Faggins to solve all the secondary problems is about as viable of Fletcher and Bennett making everything all good.
Old 09-24-2007   #71
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

OK, I'll be the one to give you the "benefit of the doubt" here and say that yes, you've got a point and that sometimes it makes sense to give the 'next best option' a shot. (This is despite the opportunities that Faggins backup(s) have been given that they've all proven to be inferior)

There's a big difference between being an 'apologist' and a 'realist'. You expect that the mere act of being named an NFL starter means that you can automatically handle (or are the right guy for) the job.

When you can make all that work out for you, please let Rick Smith & Gary Kubiak know...that way they can name the right guys for the rest of the season at each position.
Old 09-24-2007   #72
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
OK, I'll be the one to give you the "benefit of the doubt" here and say that yes, you've got a point and that sometimes it makes sense to give the 'next best option' a shot. (This is despite the opportunities that Faggins backup(s) have been given that they've all proven to be inferior)

There's a big difference between being an 'apologist' and a 'realist'. You expect that the mere act of being named an NFL starter means that you can automatically handle (or are the right guy for) the job.
I think this is a fair sum up of everything.
Old 09-24-2007   #73
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
Even if you knew that the guy on the bench was playing behind Faggins because all through camps and practice Faggins has out played him?

If that's the case, then I'm quite glad that you aren't the Texans coach.
I get chastized for saying that Faggins should be on the bench? Come on Texans fans, we should hold all of our players accountable for their performance.

All-in-all, I say if someone doesn't perform well, then the guy behind him should get a shot.
Old 09-24-2007   #74
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

It's not like Fletcher was sitting on the bench...pining to get in (no pun intended?). Fletcher played quite a bit yesterday...and didn't play all that well. Heck I was telling Kevin when he was going to get burned every time the Colts were in certain formations....and I wasn't wrong much.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #75
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
It was a rhetorical question to you and every other Faggin apologist.
That is an absurd statement--everyone has recognized Faggins' weaknesses.

Quote:
And here is another one. It makes zero sense to put a weaker player on the field just because the guy starting is weak himself. That's like saying screw it, let's put Matt Stevens back on the field just because CC isn't playing real well--just silly.
Old 09-24-2007   #76
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
I get chastized for saying that Faggins should be on the bench? Come on Texans fans, we should hold all of our players accountable for their performance.

All-in-all, I say if someone doesn't perform well, then the guy behind him should get a shot.
Okay, make the case. Who do you want to start instead of Faggins? These are guys who couldn't beat out Faggins in camp, where just about everyone wanted that to happen, and they brought in all sorts of try out CBs.

Do you think Fletcher's play on the field means that he should be playing?

Fred Bennett hasn't been playing. He injured his hamstring in the second game. He was expected to play this last game, but was not activated.

And due to lack of game play conditioning and poor 40 time, I am taking my own play out of the running.
Old 09-24-2007   #77
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That is an absurd statement--everyone has recognized Faggins' weaknesses.

And here is another one. It makes zero sense to put a weaker player on the field just because the guy starting is weak himself. That's like saying screw it, let's put Matt Stevens back on the field just because CC isn't playing real well--just silly.
A lead moderator probably shouldn't take shots at other posters, IMO.

I have stated my opinion very clearly. I don't think that we should allow less than mediocre play from any of our starters. If a guy isn't holding up his end of the deal, then he should be watching from the sidelines and the guy behind him should get a shot.

Usually I would take comments like this a little personal. But it is really just an immature way of stating your case.
Old 09-24-2007   #78
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:

I have stated my opinion very clearly. I don't think that we should allow less than mediocre play from any of our starters. If a guy isn't holding up his end of the deal, then he should be watching from the sidelines and the guy behind him should get a shot.

Usually I would take comments like this a little personal. But it is really just an immature way of stating your case.
He is making a football point. He is criticizing your statement, and not you.

Moderators here are just fans like anyone else. He is not attacking you, but he is saying your argument is absurd and silly. There's a difference.
Old 09-24-2007   #79
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 223543 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:

Usually I would take comments like this a little personal.
Well you shouldn't take it personally. Like TC said, my comments are about the specific opinion you are espousing in this thread--replace Faggins, quality of replacement be damned--not about you.
Old 09-24-2007   #80
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

In high school I played CB and never got beat deep. I really think I could do Faggins job.

Seriously, Faggins isn't doing a bang up job but you can't cover a mistake with another mistake. Right now we are 2-1 and he is functioning within the system. I thought the Colts basically salivated over his cushion but the Texans against most teams are going to try and get away with it. I understand the argument of "putting in so and so can't be any worse" but somehow the coaching staff that watches practice daily is afraid to do exactly that right now. I'll trust them until we can legitimately fill the hole.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read