Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #21
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My least favorite excuses today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
You think blitzing the Colts is a good idea?

We had issues covering the Colts WR/TE/RBs with 8 guys back in coverage, and you want to reduce that number?

Newsflash: Peyton Manning in maybe the best QB in a couple of generations, and when paired with Marvin Harrison, Regie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and that O-line. We are not the first team they have done this to, nor will we be the last.
This is football, you don't play damage control from the start of the game. You go out and hit them in the mouth and figure out the best time to apply pressure. You have to blitz the Colts to have a chance at winning.

Remember who beat these guys? Teams like the Steelers and Pats.
Were you watching those games???
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #22
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
I usually agree with TChicks posts, but I don't care for the excuse of Petey Faggins being a nickel to explain his bad play. The man is a football player and he should play like an NFL starter. And since he is not, he should be sitting on the bench and waiting on nickel/dime formations.

The way that excuse is set up is basically saying that it's either the coaches or the gm's fault for him not playing well. I think a bad player is just a bad player. He's gotten burned so many times and he'll just get burned even more. Run support, pass coverage; you name it, he blew it.

Texans fans should stop making excuses for consistently bad play from this guy. Put in Fletcher and the kid Bennett and see what they can do. Things could get worse with Faggins still out there.
Fletcher got beat (bad) by Anthony Gonzalez, a rookie, and you want to put him on Harrison. Yup that sounds like fun. Let's not forget that the vaunted Lions D thougth they could get by without him in their secondary.

Bennet is injuried, thigh issuse. Was not availible this week, might not be next week.

Faggins is a nickel CB (and a good one) that is being pressed into service as a #2 CB, that is not Faggins fault (blame Cass for jacking the cap up so we were unable to sign anybody).
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #23
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

For the record I agree with eriadoc. The key to beating Peyton Manning (besides keeping him off the field) is to keep him on his toes. Those few times we did get him moving he threw crappy balls. With too few exceptions, we spent too much of the game trying to create pressure with a four-man rush which worked too infrequently to be effective as a component of our overall gameplan.

There is a balance to be struck between too much coverage and too much blitzing and we didn't strike that balance. As Vinny noted, sending DeMeco to the line and then putting him into zone virtually every play isn't going to "trick" any one. It goes without saying that Peyton Manning is as close to perfect as the quarterback position gets and that it is very difficult to disrupt his play but the Patriots are the most consistent example I can think of and they do it by consistently mixing up their look.

Faggins has been an utter liability since day one and I know that there isn't a "cornerback store" we can shop at but we could've tried to shop it more aggressively this offseason. I understand we had a variety of holes to fill and that our staff did the best they could. The good news is that it's easier to hide liability in your secondary when you pressure the QB--the bad news is that we didn't do that to Manning. I don't know of any NFL team that can consistently create pressure utilizing a 4-man rush to the extent that we do so I don't understand our insistence on living and dying by this philosophy. Receivers will get open and coverage will break down against the very best Pro-Bowl secondaries if the quarterback has long enough to throw and the best quarterback in the game had too much time too often yesterday.

I also fault the coaches for not attempting a 2-minute drill to end the first half and for kicking the ball off to the Colts after our score with 2+ minutes left, 2 timeouts and access to the obvious perspective that our defense had to that point in the game been incapable of forcing a quick 3-and-out against a Colts offense running on all cylinders.

The Colts play top-notch ball and we didn't capitalize on the precious few opportunities they gave us. Injuries are unfortunate and we did a lot of good things yesterday and it's a shame we didn't do a couple more things right because the game was ours for the taking.
Old 09-24-2007   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I usually agree with TChicks posts, but I don't care for the excuse of Petey Faggins being a nickel to explain his bad play. The man is a football player and he should play like an NFL starter. And since he is not, he should be sitting on the bench and waiting on nickel/dime formations.

The way that excuse is set up is basically saying that it's either the coaches or the gm's fault for him not playing well. I think a bad player is just a bad player. He's gotten burned so many times and he'll just get burned even more. Run support, pass coverage; you name it, he blew it.

Texans fans should stop making excuses for consistently bad play from this guy. Put in Fletcher and the kid Bennett and see what they can do. Things could get worse with Faggins still out there.
You seem to be saying if a player is chosen to play a position above his skills by his coaches, he should just play above those skills anyway? How exactly is that done? We should fire all the players and sign street players and tell them to go be starters. I think if Fletcher and or Bennett could play CB#2, one of them would be there by now. Coaches must think Faggins gives the best chance to win. I agree he is not the long term answer, but he was not supposed to be.
badboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #25
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57907 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Faggins gave up lots of 3rd down conversions, but he didn't get beat like DRob did against Reggie Wayne
What's worse....

Outside of getting beat once, you completely shut down your receiver.. (When you actually man up your receiver and not give up 10 yard cushions.......you take the chance of getting beat, but you also don't give him free catches.)

or

You give up third down conversions like they are candy on Halloween leading to MANY scoring drives.........hell when you do get down in the red zone, you let a RB punk you twice for scores.

I don't understand why people are trying to justify Faggins performance by comparing him to Dunta.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #26
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yes, I do. I'm not saying you blitz every down, but more than zero would have been good. Put Manning on the ground a few times, and give him something to think about. Hell, we got burned anyway, so we may as well have gotten burned while hitting him.
And has that proven to be an effective way to beat the Colts over the last 2 years? We didn't blitz that often last year and managed to beat the Colts. Then there is the problem of just getting to Manning, even if you due blitz. You beat the Colts by keeping Manning off the field; cause he usually beats the blitz.

Quote:
No, I figure most teams would have problems running the ball with their 3rd-string RB. I would also figure that number would be worse with your BACKUP FULLBACK playing tailback. Give me a break. I don't really see how this message is at all unclear. If you are going to keep Gado as your 3rd back, then you hope you never have to play him. Yesterday, though, they had to. And they didn't. If you can't use Gado in that situation, then you may as well never use him.

I'm not steamed about the loss. I'm steamed about how we lost. And I'm adding to my list of excuses:

We only lost by six to the SB champs.

The score was never that close, in terms of play or score.
I don't think the situation would have been any different of Lundy or Walker was the 3rd RB, do you? It's a depth issue, something that is being addressed but will not be fixed quickly.
Old 09-24-2007   #27
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Jerek and Shaft are getting what I am trying to say. You know what? If we do all that, we probably still lose that game. Ahman Green going down that early hurts. Losing McKinney hurts the run game. Losing Jones hurts, though it was late by that point. Regardless, we would have played a competitive game that was a real effort to win. The game we played Sunday was reminiscent of the Capers era, where we just tried to play not to lose. We gave a huge cushion to the WRs, we played seven back in coverage, we gave up the short stuff, etc. It's choosing death by a thousand cuts. It's football - I hate watching that crap. Go hit someone. Go make a play. Go for an INT and get burned; I don't care. TRY TO DO SOMETHING. I'd rather see our guys fail while striving for something big than fail while playing timid.
Old 09-24-2007   #28
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek View Post
For the record I agree with eriadoc. The key to beating Peyton Manning (besides keeping him off the field) is to keep him on his toes. Those few times we did get him moving he threw crappy balls. With too few exceptions, we spent too much of the game trying to create pressure with a four-man rush which worked too infrequently to be effective as a component of our overall gameplan.

There is a balance to be struck between too much coverage and too much blitzing and we didn't strike that balance. As Vinny noted, sending DeMeco to the line and then putting him into zone virtually every play isn't going to "trick" any one. It goes without saying that Peyton Manning is as close to perfect as the quarterback position gets and that it is very difficult to disrupt his play but the Patriots are the most consistent example I can think of and they do it by consistently mixing up their look.

Faggins has been an utter liability since day one and I know that there isn't a "cornerback store" we can shop at but we could've tried to shop it more aggressively this offseason. I understand we had a variety of holes to fill and that our staff did the best they could. The good news is that it's easier to hide liability in your secondary when you pressure the QB--the bad news is that we didn't do that to Manning. I don't know of any NFL team that can consistently create pressure utilizing a 4-man rush to the extent that we do so I don't understand our insistence on living and dying by this philosophy. Receivers will get open and coverage will break down against the very best Pro-Bowl secondaries if the quarterback has long enough to throw and the best quarterback in the game had too much time too often yesterday.

I also fault the coaches for not attempting a 2-minute drill to end the first half and for kicking the ball off to the Colts after our score with 2+ minutes left, 2 timeouts and access to the obvious perspective that our defense had to that point in the game been incapable of forcing a quick 3-and-out against a Colts offense running on all cylinders.

The Colts play top-notch ball and we didn't capitalize on the precious few opportunities they gave us. Injuries are unfortunate and we did a lot of good things yesterday and it's a shame we didn't do a couple more things right because the game was ours for the taking.
Faggins has proven to be a more then capable nickle CB (something that Fletcher didn't show yesterday) since he's been here. Unfortuantly he is being pressed into service as the #2, a situation that should and will be addressed in the offseason. Thankfully Faggins does not have to cover a WR the caliber of Harrison except one more time this year (the game in Indy).
Old 09-24-2007   #29
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6688 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fletcher got beat (bad) by Anthony Gonzalez, a rookie, and you want to put him on Harrison. Yup that sounds like fun. Let's not forget that the vaunted Lions D thougth they could get by without him in their secondary.

Bennet is injuried, thigh issuse. Was not availible this week, might not be next week.

Faggins is a nickel CB (and a good one) that is being pressed into service as a #2 CB, that is not Faggins fault (blame Cass for jacking the cap up so we were unable to sign anybody).
If I were the coach......

I would have faith in the fact that my GM set up the roster so I can bench a player at anytime due to lack of production. There is no excuse to leaving the guy on the field. And it is his fault that he is out there, he signed a contract and wanted to be a part of the team.

Petey needs to man up and shows his teammates and coaches that he gives a sh*t about this team.

He is and has been our weakest link on D, and nobody wants to blame him. Geez...
Old 09-24-2007   #30
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Okay let me splain it this way. Not an excuse. Just stating reality. Water is wet, Pope Catholic sort of reality.

1. Faggins plays to the best of his ability. Dude is a little guy, and he has made plays in the past, and is best suited for nickle So you shouldn't crush him due to effort because by most accounts his issues are not ones of effort.

2. He didn't choose to be #2 CB, the coaches put him there.

3. Coaches have an incentive to play their best players.

4. Fletcher hasn't set the world on fire, and Bennett has had some injury issues and is a rookie.

5. As for CB cushions, if you talking to NFL CBs, one of the things that they will tell you is that the #1 thing that fans do not understand about their play is that they play the coverages that their coaches tell them to play. So sometimes they have to play with a big cushion.

6. The Texans over the years have had all sorts of placeholder players. Guys who play with effort but don't have the ability to back it up. Guys who are starting for the Texans because for whatever reasons, we can't replace them yet. Jason Simmons is a good example of such a player. His nickname with the coaches is Max, because he plays up to the maximum of his potential.

I just don't feel the need to call for Petey Faggins head on a platter because it ain't like he is an overpaid,underperforming guy, not using his best efforts, or someone that has no value as a player. He is playing out of position because the coaches need him too.

I will slam Petey when I also feel the need to kick puppies too. There's no point in it. Oooohweee, Steve Smith and Peyton Manning abused him. Is that much of a surprise?
Old 09-24-2007   #31
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
You seem to be saying if a player is chosen to play a position above his skills by his coaches, he should just play above those skills anyway? How exactly is that done? We should fire all the players and sign street players and tell them to go be starters. I think if Fletcher and or Bennett could play CB#2, one of them would be there by now. Coaches must think Faggins gives the best chance to win. I agree he is not the long term answer, but he was not supposed to be.
Did his contract, draft position, biography or anything to that extent say NICKEL or CORNERBACK.

MY GOSH people,

FAGGINS IS AN NFL CB, A STARTER IN THE NFL, AND SHOULD PLAY LIKE ONE!
Old 09-24-2007   #32
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Even though we lost, I think we played extremely well yesterday. There was some iffy moments here and there in regards to coaching decisions. And I was practically screaming at the t.v. for our guys to show some sense of urgency on both drives in the 4th, but other than that, I am pretty well satisfied.

My hope was that our statment in this game would be to punch them in the mouth and keep on swinging, and I think we accomplished that in spite of the injuries. Whenever someone made a mistake, they went right back out there to make up for it, rather than sit on the sidelines like years past while Peyton padded his stats.

With how this game turned out, so long as we're healthy next time around, I expect us to squeak by with a win in their house...just to return the favor.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #33
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Jerek and Shaft are getting what I am trying to say. You know what? If we do all that, we probably still lose that game. Ahman Green going down that early hurts. Losing McKinney hurts the run game. Losing Jones hurts, though it was late by that point. Regardless, we would have played a competitive game that was a real effort to win. The game we played Sunday was reminiscent of the Capers era, where we just tried to play not to lose. We gave a huge cushion to the WRs, we played seven back in coverage, we gave up the short stuff, etc. It's choosing death by a thousand cuts. It's football - I hate watching that crap. Go hit someone. Go make a play. Go for an INT and get burned; I don't care. TRY TO DO SOMETHING. I'd rather see our guys fail while striving for something big than fail while playing timid.
Yeah right. If Harrison had burned Faggins for a couple of TDs and we hade been truly blown out...you's till be all over him. Same thing if we had blitzed and gotten burned.
Old 09-24-2007   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I kinda wanted Revis in the draft because I didn't consider Faggins a legit CB2. The Texans wanted an interior lineman more than a cb....so we have Okoye. I'm not too bent over that since Okoye looks like he is going to be a player...but you can't fix everything at once. Fletcher certainly isn't a good option at CB2 and while Faggins is a liability, he is the best player we have for the position right now. Nothing is going to change that I don't think.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #35
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
What I'd like to see is a little imagination on defense at times. Line Dunta up on the slot from time to time like the Capers regime did....utilize his blitzing skills along with DeMeco mixing it up here and there. When DeMeco creeps up to the line and never blitzes...I donno how that "tricks" anyone.
Best post of the thread.
Old 09-24-2007   #36
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
If I were the coach......

I would have faith in the fact that my GM set up the roster so I can bench a player at anytime due to lack of production. There is no excuse to leaving the guy on the field. And it is his fault that he is out there, he signed a contract and wanted to be a part of the team.

Petey needs to man up and shows his teammates and coaches that he gives a sh*t about this team.

He is and has been our weakest link on D, and nobody wants to blame him. Geez...
I swear I remember reading about his guy named C.C Brown that everybody was saying the weakest link on the team, and I think I was reading it last week. Then there was all this talk about the lack of a pass rush, and the weakest link where the 1st round picks on the D-line, last year.

Can somebody please tell me who the real weakest link is?

Last edited by Errant Hothy; 09-24-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2007   #37
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thankfully Faggins does not have to cover a WR the caliber of Harrison except one more time this year (the game in Indy).
Good point. At the same time, Bennett should be able to match up against most of the WRs we'll face this year. Rather than continue to send a CB who's not going to get better, why not give a young player with potential an opportunity? Games against the Falcons, Dolphins, Jags, & Titans seems as good a time as any to see what the rookie has.
Old 09-24-2007   #38
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I kinda wanted Revis in the draft because I didn't consider Faggins a legit CB2. The Texans wanted an interior lineman more than a cb....so we have Okoye. I'm not too bent over that since Okoye looks like he is going to be a player...but you can't fix everything at once. Fletcher certainly isn't a good option at CB2 and while Faggins is a liability, he is the best player we have for the position right now. Nothing is going to change that I don't think.
Okay, this is the second best post of the thread. Embracing reality, what a concept.
Old 09-24-2007   #39
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Oooohweee, Steve Smith and Peyton Manning abused him. Is that much of a surprise?
JP Losman???!
Old 09-24-2007   #40
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Okay let me splain it this way. Not an excuse. Just stating reality. Water is wet, Pope Catholic sort of reality.

1. Faggins plays to the best of his ability. Dude is a little guy, and he has made plays in the past, and is best suited for nickle So you shouldn't crush him due to effort because by most accounts his issues are not ones of effort.

2. He didn't choose to be #2 CB, the coaches put him there.

3. Coaches have an incentive to play their best players.

4. Fletcher hasn't set the world on fire, and Bennett has had some injury issues and is a rookie.

5. As for CB cushions, if you talking to NFL CBs, one of the things that they will tell you is that the #1 thing that fans do not understand about their play is that they play the coverages that their coaches tell them to play. So sometimes they have to play with a big cushion.

6. The Texans over the years have had all sorts of placeholder players. Guys who play with effort but don't have the ability to back it up. Guys who are starting for the Texans because for whatever reasons, we can't replace them yet. Jason Simmons is a good example of such a player. His nickname with the coaches is Max, because he plays up to the maximum of his potential.

I just don't feel the need to call for Petey Faggins head on a platter because it ain't like he is an overpaid,underperforming guy, not using his best efforts, or someone that has no value as a player. He is playing out of position because the coaches need him too.

I will slam Petey when I also feel the need to kick puppies too. There's no point in it. Oooohweee, Steve Smith and Peyton Manning abused him. Is that much of a surprise?
And Jake Delhomme, JP Losman, Lee Evans, the list goes on...

I agree with him being on the field by default. Blame has to be put somewhere though. He has been our CB2 for awhile now, and I have no idea who, in our organization, thinks he's the best for our team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read