Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-24-2007   #1
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default My least favorite excuses today

If we had blitzed Peyton Manning, he would have exposed us in the secondary.

Well, we didn't blitz, and we sure looked exposed. Hit the man, and make him remember he was in Reliant for something other than his stats.

Faggins is only a 6th round pick, and doing the best he can.

Well, I'm pretty sure we didn't have a lot invested in Matt Stevens, either. And how many other guys have we had that we played this long that have sucked this long? Only one that I can think of, and everyone was all for him getting fired as well.

The running game wasn't there.

We only ran the ball 8 times in the first half, not counting the JJones end-around and Schaub scramble. EIGHT times in the first half. And why were we giving the ball to Jameel Cook at tailback so much? I understand that he's the emergency tailback at that point, but Gado was still available. After Green officially left the game (after the direct snap), the carries went Cook, Gado, Cook, Cook, Cook. And that was the end of the first half. If Cook is that much better at tailback than Gado, then we should have kept Lundy, or Walker, or Bob from Accountemps, jeez.
Old 09-24-2007   #2
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My least favorite excuses today

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post

Well, I'm pretty sure we didn't have a lot invested in Matt Stevens, either. And how many other guys have we had that we played this long that have sucked this long? Only one that I can think of, and everyone was all for him getting fired as well.
Faggins is a nickel corner pressed into duty as the #2 CB. Compounding on the problem is the fact that he was asked to cover Marvin "1st ballot HOF'er" Harrison. I mean couldn't Faggins atleast have kept Harrison out of the endzone or under 200 yards recieving? (The opponent has to be figured into the discussion of Petey's play this week)

I'm shocked that so many people seem to think that Petey has sucked the enitre time he's been here. I quess nobody remembers his play as the nickel CB his first few years, a time where he made several plays.

Faggins is a good nickel CB, and thats it. As the #2 CB he leaves a lot to be desired, but it is not his call as to what spot he plays. Nor can Petey choose to ignore the coaching and the gameplan, which more then likely dictated the cushion on Harrison.

Faggins is NOT Matt Stevens.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Well, we didn't blitz, and we sure looked exposed. Hit the man, and make him remember he was in Reliant for something other than his stats.

The running game wasn't there.

We only ran the ball 8 times in the first half, not counting the JJones end-around and Schaub scramble. EIGHT times in the first half. And why were we giving the ball to Jameel Cook at tailback so much? I understand that he's the emergency tailback at that point, but Gado was still available. After Green officially left the game (after the direct snap), the carries went Cook, Gado, Cook, Cook, Cook. And that was the end of the first half. If Cook is that much better at tailback than Gado, then we should have kept Lundy, or Walker, or Bob from Accountemps, jeez.
Some comments:

1. Agree with your first comment.

2. As for your second comment, I'm not sure that is an excuse. Faggins is who he is. He's a nickle corner pressed to play #2. It's not like the Texans can go to Costco and pick them out a good CB. The Texans chose to stay mostly pat at CB in the offseason, for various reasons (inavailability of quality corners and not having much salary cap money). There are no obvious candidates of better options, and well, Steve Smith and Peyton Manning have burnt lots better corners.

3. A lot of good running teams have had problems running against the Colts since their playoff run. That the Texans are facing them in an emergency situation with Gado and Cook, and with no Andre Johnson to keep them honest, well, actually it is amazing that they did the things that they did on offense at all, to be honest.

Maybe my point of view of stuff is that I never really felt that the Texans defense was going to stop Manning. I thought they might be able to get a turnover here or there.

I think the biggest thing the Texans need to figure out is how to get the defense working from the first quarter. These slow starts aren't helping.
Old 09-24-2007   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

What I'd like to see is a little imagination on defense at times. Line Dunta up on the slot from time to time like the Capers regime did....utilize his blitzing skills along with DeMeco mixing it up here and there. When DeMeco creeps up to the line and never blitzes...I donno how that "tricks" anyone.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #5
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

What i think the problems was is the colts offense is really a timing offense more then anything. It's not just getting to Manning it's getting pressure in his face and upsetting the timing. Also getting a jam on the receivers at the LOS is equally important. Wayne didn't kill us and that's because we weren't afraid to one up on him with Dunta. Clark was the big killer, which is something i was scared about going into the game, the way they're starting to use him. Gonzalez also broke free a few times.

As for Faggins I'm not opposed to moving someone else into the starting spot next week and at least giving them a shot against Atl. Fletcher looked solid in Detroit last year and i'm kind of wondering about Richard Smith right now. But i think you're going overboard with the Matt Stevens comparison right now. Faggins isn't that bad. Not sayin he should be starting but he's not that terrible.

The run game wasn't there because the Colts defense played fast and physical.Like isaid early in the year the reports of their demise was exagerated. Like it or not Jameel Cook was the most effective back yesterday. Seriously so last year he made some costly mistakes but much liek the Colts feel the superbowl was last year and they're not going to sit and hang their hat on it. We shouldn't either on Cook. When pressed into it he played well and so did Andre Davis.

Honestly don't get it diced either. We played a supremely good Colts team toe to toe without all cylinders firing and we still took them to the last drive even with some mistakes by our starting QB. The Cotls will make other good teams look bad this year count on that.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I donno why people keep bringing up Fletcher when we doesn't play as well as Faggins does...he was awful yesterday.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #7
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Two things are proven to beat (or at least slow down) Manning

The 3-4
A great RB (or at least a good running game)

We had neither yesterday.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-24-2007   #8
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 39179 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Two things are proven to beat (or at least slow down) Manning

The 3-4
A great RB (or at least a good running game)

We had neither yesterday.
Yup, casue of the four teams that beat the Colts last year only 1 ran a 3-4 D. The Cowboys (3-4), the Jags (4-3), the Titans (4-3) and the Texans (4-3). So much for needing the vaunted 3-4 D to beat the Colts.
Old 09-24-2007   #9
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins gave up lots of 3rd down conversions, but he didn't get beat like DRob did against Reggie Wayne
Old 09-24-2007   #10
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Faggins gave up lots of 3rd down conversions, but he didn't get beat like DRob did against Reggie Wayne
How dare you blame somebody else then Faggins, espically one this day of all days. Don't you know it's "Faggins Fault for Everything" Day. Did you know it was Faggins who rolled up on McKinney's leg?

Old 09-24-2007   #11
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Every corner gets beat. Faggins didn't get crucified for giving up an 80-yard TD to Lee Evans last year. It was the SECOND 80-yard TD. Faggins consistently gives too much of a cushion and gives up completions all day. Yeah, he played Steve Smith and Marvin Harrison, I'll give you that. But he sucked against everyone he played last year, and he'll give it up all year this year, as well. And it doesn't matter if their name is Marvin, Steve, Roydell, Brandon, Matt, Ernest, Roddy, or Michael.

Faggins has shown enough to have established what's called a trend. And the opposing teams are pretty good at finding those trends and exploiting them.

And to add insult to injury, the only reason it was Marvin eating us up on those 3rd downs is because they have two good WRs. If they only had one top-notch WR, they would just move him pre-snap over to Faggins' side of the field, knowing D-Rob will never get assigned to the best guy on the field - just a specified side of the field.
Old 09-24-2007   #12
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Some comments:

3. A lot of good running teams have had problems running against the Colts since their playoff run. That the Texans are facing them in an emergency situation with Gado and Cook, and with no Andre Johnson to keep them honest, well, actually it is amazing that they did the things that they did on offense at all, to be honest.
The fact that the team attempted to run the ball eight times in the first half, aside from the end-around and an unplanned scramble, is a coaching staff problem. The fact that this coaching staff kept Gado instead of Lundy or even Darius Walker, as a 3rd string RB, is defensible right up until the first two guys go down and the staff feels more comfortable using the backup FB at tailback rather than use the guy they kept instead of those prior two. Un-freakin-believable.
Old 09-24-2007   #13
eriadoc
Texan-American

If we had lost this game with a well-executed gameplan, I'd be fine about it. Injuries hurt, and the occasional mistakes happen. We all knew, going into this game, that we were only going to have a small chance to win, and that we'd have to run the ball, run it some more, control the clock, and put pressure on Manning.

So, we never blitzed, and we gave up on the run as soon as Green went down.
Old 09-24-2007   #14
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
The fact that the team attempted to run the ball eight times in the first half, aside from the end-around and an unplanned scramble, is a coaching staff problem. The fact that this coaching staff kept Gado instead of Lundy or even Darius Walker, as a 3rd string RB, is defensible right up until the first two guys go down and the staff feels more comfortable using the backup FB at tailback rather than use the guy they kept instead of those prior two. Un-freakin-believable.
Yeah cause every team in the NFL can run the ball on Indy with there 3rd string RB except the Texans, damn stupid Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak.

or

Yeah, we so could have used a Wali Lundy fumble or two yesterday (and do you really think Lundy is that much better then Gado, in my view they both kinda suck).

And FYI Walker is still on the team, but you can't activate somebody from the practice squad on gameday or during the game (Dayne was a gametime decsicion and Green went down during the game). You may get your wish in regards to Walker seeing some playing time this weekend, but don't forget that he's already been cut from this team once.

On one hand it's nice to see a change in the fan base (being a tad annoyed with a lose) on the other everybody needs to simmer down now, simmer down. We lost by 6 to the defending SB champs, who look better this year then the looked last year.
Old 09-24-2007   #15
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Quote:
If we had lost this game with a well-executed gameplan, I'd be fine about it. Injuries hurt, and the occasional mistakes happen. We all knew, going into this game, that we were only going to have a small chance to win, and that we'd have to run the ball, run it some more, control the clock, and put pressure on Manning.

So, we never blitzed, and we gave up on the run as soon as Green went down.
You think blitzing the Colts is a good idea?

We had issues covering the Colts WR/TE/RBs with 8 guys back in coverage, and you want to reduce that number?

Newsflash: Peyton Manning in maybe the best QB in a couple of generations, and when paired with Marvin Harrison, Regie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and that O-line. We are not the first team they have done this to, nor will we be the last.
Old 09-24-2007   #16
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I usually agree with TChicks posts, but I don't care for the excuse of Petey Faggins being a nickel to explain his bad play. The man is a football player and he should play like an NFL starter. And since he is not, he should be sitting on the bench and waiting on nickel/dime formations.

The way that excuse is set up is basically saying that it's either the coaches or the gm's fault for him not playing well. I think a bad player is just a bad player. He's gotten burned so many times and he'll just get burned even more. Run support, pass coverage; you name it, he blew it.

Texans fans should stop making excuses for consistently bad play from this guy. Put in Fletcher and the kid Bennett and see what they can do. Things could get worse with Faggins still out there.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Okay. Let's look at it this way.

One of the biggest problems that the Texans had with protection last year was their inexperienced running backs. It's not like Lundy showed a ton last year. And Walker? His performance in training camp got him cut once.

A team that depends on the fullback for their offense, can't carry a bunch of running backs on the roster.
Old 09-24-2007   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Like it or not imo we do not line up even with the Colts if both teams are healthy. Having five starters on offense out makes it lopsided even more. No excuses needed. We got beat. We did have hopes of a win prior to kick off and I was still hopeful into 4th. Were there mistakes? Sure. I happen to think we remain on track for a good season. I am concerned about the injuries plaguing us again.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #19
eriadoc
Texan-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy View Post
You think blitzing the Colts is a good idea?

We had issues covering the Colts WR/TE/RBs with 8 guys back in coverage, and you want to reduce that number?

Newsflash: Peyton Manning in maybe the best QB in a couple of generations, and when paired with Marvin Harrison, Regie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and that O-line. We are not the first team they have done this to, nor will we be the last.
Yes, I do. I'm not saying you blitz every down, but more than zero would have been good. Put Manning on the ground a few times, and give him something to think about. Hell, we got burned anyway, so we may as well have gotten burned while hitting him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoth-Boy
Yeah cause every team in the NFL can run the ball on Indy with there 3rd string RB except the Texans, damn stupid Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak.
No, I figure most teams would have problems running the ball with their 3rd-string RB. I would also figure that number would be worse with your BACKUP FULLBACK playing tailback. Give me a break. I don't really see how this message is at all unclear. If you are going to keep Gado as your 3rd back, then you hope you never have to play him. Yesterday, though, they had to. And they didn't. If you can't use Gado in that situation, then you may as well never use him.

I'm not steamed about the loss. I'm steamed about how we lost. And I'm adding to my list of excuses:

We only lost by six to the SB champs.

The score was never that close, in terms of play or score.
Old 09-24-2007   #20
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe the game plan was not give up big play TDs. Do you remember the Buffalo game and Lee Evans? If Indy moved down the field, so be it, but hold them to FGs.

Then it was up to offense to make long sustaining drives for TDs.

When Green went down, that threw the entire game plan out the window.

You are completely calling out Faggins, but you want the defense to blitz Manning with the corners on man coverage. You are making no sense! In other words, you are contradicting yourself.

Look, the Texans don't have the personnel in the defensive secondary to run the defense you would like. Fortunately, we don't play elite WRs every game. It's going to be several weeks before we have this problem again. Not to mention, Manning and Harrison going to the Hall of Fame! Indy is just a very good offensive team.

This whole Indy situation reminds of the Oilers vs. Pittsburgh in the 70s. The Oilers had a really good team that probably would have a won a Super Bowl if they didn't have to play the Steelers 3 times for 2 years. The Texans have a ways to go to become a good team against the Colts, but their plate is going to full knocking off the Colts for the AFC South.

As for Faggins, this is just situation we are going to have deal with until next year. It will be interesting off season to see what Kubiak/Smith do about the RB position and defensive secondary. Those positions are holding this team back.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read