Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2007   #61
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalTexan View Post
I think it's the offensive line, it looks like there are never any holes to run through. I think it will take a couple offseasons to retool our offensive line into one that can run-block as well as pass-block.
with McKinney's career in serious question & Flanagan not far behind selecting a stud to shore up the middle will get special interest. short of spending a 1st rd. pick on as close to a complete package as possible its more likely the Texans draft a cb in the first & look at addressing the center position in the 3rd rd. Texas A&M have a good one in Cody Wallace that would help the run game next year if selected

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #62
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 58841 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

You can usually hold up on center till later rounds, since there are usually more talented prospects than there are teams that need them. Two 1st round talent centers went in the 3rd and 4th this year
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #63
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
You can usually hold up on center till later rounds, since there are usually more talented prospects than there are teams that need them. Two 1st round talent centers went in the 3rd and 4th this year
your absolutely correct about that. however this is a need both in developing the rushing game/lanes & pass protection. there is one bluechip center in the upcoming draft, Steve Justice, Wake Forrest & he is a perfect fit for the Zone blocking scheme because of his quickness, maybe he'll slide to the Texans in the 3rd, rd. you never know & its early.

I also seem to remember the Texans bringing in Enoka Lucas (released by Texans 7/23) who is now on the Bucs' practice squad. Anyone know the procedure for claiming a player off another teams practice squad?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-25-2007   #64
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 21318 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
your absolutely correct about that. however this is a need both in developing the rushing game/lanes & pass protection. there is one bluechip center in the upcoming draft, Steve Justice, Wake Forrest & he is a perfect fit for the Zone blocking scheme because of his quickness, maybe he'll slide to the Texans in the 3rd, rd. you never know & its early.

I also seem to remember the Texans bringing in Enoka Lucas (released by Texans 7/23) who is now on the Bucs' practice squad. Anyone know the procedure for claiming a player off another teams practice squad?
I'm pretty sure that you have to sign the palyer to the 53 man roster, and with the team having already having alook at Lucas I don't think this is likely. Espically with White being here when Lucas was cut.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #65
real

I don't feel like searching for the quote, but Kubiak said he released some of those players because he felt like they were good ball players who just wouldn't be able to make our roster due to numbers...

So he let them walk early so they could get with another team while camp was still going...
Old 09-25-2007   #66
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
This is the way I can possibly see it going down this off-season.

We now have a couple of young talented guards that will most likely play for several years. We drafted a talented up and coming guard in Studdard. I'd move Studdard to center this off-season considering he wouldn't get any playing time at guard unless he was to beat out Weary or Pitts. He seems too talented to sit and wait for his turn.

Old 09-25-2007   #67
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Yes, the line is the problem, but since when has that made any difference to the front office? They will probably free-agent a cornerback and another journeyman lineman, and then draft a linebacker for all we know...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2007   #68
beerlover
Site Contributor

enough covering the line defeincies now back to our RB situation. How do y'all feel about our 3rd string RB, Samkon Gado, being the go to guy for the next game or two?

I haven't really seen a reason to take a close, carefull look at Sam because I never imagined the Texans being in this situation. very limited playing time here, I know he had some good production in Green Bay a couple years ago so he is most likely a system type of RB which Kubiak & Sherman should know a great deal about. I like the fact the Texans have a strong & growing Nigerian connection, they all seem athletic gifted, smart & hard workers. He came out of Liberty University going undrafted in 2005. virtually unknown coming out but has excellent size for the position. the official Texans website has more information on him than anywhere I can find so I'm going to have to go out on a limb & grade him based on the limited action I've seen-

Samkon Gado, 5-10 226. well rounded skill set, can do everything but only average. strongest aspect of game- blocking & picking up the blitz (might suggest the Texans game plan is to open up the passing game against Atlanta). can catch & run with the ball but does not have soft hands (does not pluck the ball) needs to protect the ball from impact (wrap up or switch to the proper arm & fend off defenders with stiff arm). good runner between the tackles, runs best downhill, more powerful than elusive can run through tackles. not sure if its because of lack of experience or coaching but does not have natural instincts or vision to see plays develop or use blocking schemes & improvise. seems durable (last man standing) tough, smart & team player.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 09-25-2007   #69
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
enough covering the line defeincies now back to our RB situation. How do y'all feel about our 3rd string RB, Samkon Gado, being the go to guy for the next game or two?

I haven't really seen a reason to take a close, carefull look at Sam because I never imagined the Texans being in this situation. very limited playing time here, I know he had some good production in Green Bay a couple years ago so he is most likely a system type of RB which Kubiak & Sherman should know a great deal about. I like the fact the Texans have a strong & growing Nigerian connection, they all seem athletic gifted, smart & hard workers. He came out of Liberty University going undrafted in 2005. virtually unknown coming out but has excellent size for the position. the official Texans website has more information on him than anywhere I can find so I'm going to have to go out on a limb & grade him based on the limited action I've seen-

Samkon Gado, 5-10 226. well rounded skill set, can do everything but only average. strongest aspect of game- blocking & picking up the blitz (might suggest the Texans game plan is to open up the passing game against Atlanta). can catch & run with the ball but does not have soft hands (does not pluck the ball) needs to protect the ball from impact (wrap up or switch to the proper arm & fend off defenders with stiff arm). good runner between the tackles, runs best downhill, more powerful than elusive can run through tackles. not sure if its because of lack of experience or coaching but does not have natural instincts or vision to see plays develop or use blocking schemes & improvise. seems durable (last man standing) tough, smart & team player.
To me, if you can't use Gado in that game on Sunday, and think Cook is a better option at tailback, then Gado has no business being on the roster. I have yet to hear a suitable explanation for that nonsense.
Old 09-25-2007   #70
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 165505 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
To me, if you can't use Gado in that game on Sunday, and think Cook is a better option at tailback, then Gado has no business being on the roster. I have yet to hear a suitable explanation for that nonsense.

I must spread some reputation around before giving it to you again but this is just plain common sense. What's the point of being on the roster if you can't do the job?

He was "rusty"? WTF is that? Doesn't he go to practice? Aren't we only 3 games into the season? Didn't he get to play in the preseason? How in the hell does he get so rusty that he's useless in three weeks?
Old 09-25-2007   #71
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

Quote:
Gado is Sherman's boy, no other explanation needed. He will likely be our #3 until Rick Smith puts his foot down.

My $0.02
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #72
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I must spread some reputation around before giving it to you again but this is just plain common sense. What's the point of being on the roster if you can't do the job?

He was "rusty"? WTF is that? Doesn't he go to practice? Aren't we only 3 games into the season? Didn't he get to play in the preseason? How in the hell does he get so rusty that he's useless in three weeks?

Good point guys...

Got the rep for him Herv, although mine doesn't carry the weight yours does.
Old 09-25-2007   #73
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

I was watching the video clip that Darius Walker does and something in Gado's little interview caught my ear. Gado mentioned something about being happy to be on the team, yada, yada, and happy to be able to help the Texans get ready every week.

I would have to guess he hasn't been in any game-planning or updating of the plays installed by hearing that comment.

Having said that, I agree with y'all. If he's not ready mentally or physically, get somebody that is. Personally, I don't think he's very good anyways.
Old 09-28-2007   #74
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 9 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP
Default Running Game

I have a lot of faith in Matt Scaub and what he brings to our offense. I think he will be selective with his passes and minimize any mistakes. He's a smart kid who doesn't seem to get rattled. My question is, with Atlanta's terrible run defense, do you think Dayne and Gado can carry the running game? I f they can't, I fear we are in trouble. What do you think?
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #75
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Game

What do I think?

I think if Dayne's ribs don't hold up, (and don't think for a second that the Falcons don't know about them) then there goes the running game. And then then there go the play actions. And then, there go the bootlegs.

Then, we're one dimensional, with nothing but backup receivers, tight ends, and fullbacks.

Oh yeah. We're going to win that game easily on Sunday.

Falcons 17 Texans 7

Edit: (And then, next week you get to come back and moan about Schaub being "Carresque", and Kubiak's play calling like Capers)

Last edited by Marcus; 09-28-2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: For satire
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #76
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Running Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
What do I think?

I think if Dayne's ribs don't hold up, (and don't think for a second that the Falcons don't know about them) then there goes the running game. And then then there go the play actions. And then, there go the bootlegs.

Then, we're one dimensional, with nothing but backup receivers, tight ends, and fullbacks.

Oh yeah. We're going to win that game easily on Sunday.

Falcons 17 Texans 7

Edit: (And then, next week you get to come back and ***** about Schaub being "Carresque", and Kubiak being Capers)
Oh yee of little faith. I'm sure Dayne can wear some extra protection if he really needs it, but I doubt he needs it. He felt ready to play last Sunday, so with this extra week of rest his bruised ribs should be healed.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read