Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-27-2007   #41
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 103388 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How about Amobi!!

He's doing exactly what i & most hoped he would do to eventually help out mario. Hopefully it continues & it allows Mario & Weaver to do their thing on the outside.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #42
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I loved the pick on draft day. I love it even more now. That kid is going to be amazing, and lined up with Mario, those two are going to freak out offensive lines for a long time.
Old 09-27-2007   #43
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31977 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I loved the pick on draft day. I love it even more now. That kid is going to be amazing, and lined up with Mario, those two are going to freak out offensive lines for a long time.
I agree. At first, I was dissapointed that peterson didn't fall to us but right after Minnesota picked Adrian, I said, "I hope Okoye is there at ten".
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #44
real

Quote:
Amobi Okoye was told by his buddies in the NFL not to believe what he'd hear leading up to this year's draft. Still, it was hard for him not to get wrapped up in the hype.

Four out of the top five teams in the draft told him they would select him. His college coach at Louisville, Bobby Petrino, was hired by the Atlanta Falcons and said if Okoye were available at No. 8, he would be a Falcon.

On draft day, Okoye waited and waited. Finally, at No. 10, a team that never spoke to the defensive tackle leading up to the draft picked him.

"It sunk in that day that this was the NFL," the Texans rookie said. "It's a business, and heart is not really involved in it. There are no hard feelings."

If the Falcons hadn't needed a defensive end so much, Okoye might have been lining up across from the Texans in Atlanta on Sunday. But after veteran Patrick Kerney left via free agency in the offseason, the Falcons drafted Arkansas' Jamaal Anderson to fill the void.

"I loved Amobi," Petrino said. "He was a fun guy to coach. He always came to work with a big smile on his face and a great attitude. He's not only a great football player, but he's a great person."

Okoye (6-2, 302 pounds) is off to a strong start this season, leading all rookies with three sacks. He also has eight tackles and one forced fumble.

Petrino has watched hours of film on Okoye, and it has only reaffirmed what he figured would be true.

"I didn't sleep well last night because I'd been watching video of him all day yesterday," Petrino said Wednesday. "He's certainly playing well. He's been very active and has done a nice job rushing the quarterback.

"You can see his understanding of the game, and the thing that I'm impressed with is he is not in awe of anything. He's just playing extremely fast and real well."

At Louisville, Petrino was the one who joked that Okoye couldn't start until he needed to shave. When the two met, Okoye was a 15-year-old high school senior. Petrino, who had just been hired away from Auburn, was struck by Okoye's maturity but still planned to redshirt the freshman.

Ten days into his career at Louisville, however, Okoye emerged as the team's third-best tackle, making it impossible for Petrino to sit him.

"I have a daughter the same age, and I couldn't imagine that I would send her off to college at 15 years old and she would be able to handle it," Petrino said. "He did. Obviously, he had some maturing to do, but it was fun to watch him grow."

The Texans are now enjoying watching Okoye mature into an NFL player. He has already tasted success, but players laugh when asked if any of it has gone to the 20-year-old's head.

"He's just somebody living up to the hype," Texans defensive end N.D. Kalu said. "The pressure is not getting to him. He's a physical specimen. He's 300-and-some pounds, but he moves around with cat quickness.

"(And he acts) like he doesn't have any sacks, like a rookie. He's doing all his rookie duties, as far as bringing all our energy drinks, paying for dinner. He's doing everything with a smile on his face, like a guy you can truly be happy for when he succeeds."

Texans coaches say they still see much ahead for Okoye, who they don't believe is done growing yet.

They are impressed with how far along he is in run defense, since his strength is in the pass rush. And they are pleased with how quickly he picks up tips in team meetings and transfers them onto the practice field and then into games.

Now, they want to see him continue to hone his technique and fundamentals.

"I think the last few weeks he's everything we looked for," defensive coordinator Richard Smith said. "Number one, he has great body balance, lower body balance. He has great quickness. Matter of fact, he's pleasantly stronger at the point of attack than I thought he was going to be at this time in his career. That has impressed me with him.

"I like his demeanor. I like his presence. I like everything about him right now."

So does Petrino. That's what worries him about Sunday.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...t/5168311.html
Old 09-27-2007   #45
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice read Real, thanks...
Really impressive kid no doubt about it.
Old 09-27-2007   #46
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

I found this similar story to the one above.

Quote:
Draft snub by Petrino teaches Okoye about business of NFL

Posted: September 26, 2007
HOUSTON (AP) -- The Atlanta Falcons told Amobi Okoye they'd draft him.

Most of the other teams with top 10 picks did, too. But Okoye believed the Falcons since his college coach, Bobby Petrino, had just taken over in Atlanta.

Then the Falcons passed on the defensive tackle at No. 8, and the Texans got him with the 10th pick in a move that taught Okoye an important lesson about the NFL.

"It sunk in that day that this is the NFL and it is a business," he said. "Their heart's not really involved in it. Everybody's got to do what they've got to do, and it wasn't any hard feelings or anything like that."

Okoye will get to play in front of his former coach Sunday when the Falcons host the Texans.

Listening to Petrino, who coached Okoye for four years at Louisville, it's clear his feelings toward Okoye had nothing to do with the decision.

"I loved Amobi," Petrino said. "He was a fun guy to coach. He always came to work with a big smile on his face and a great attitude. We watched him grow up. We brought him in at 15 years old and watched him grow up and mature. He's not only a great football player, but he's a great person."

Petrino said it was difficult not to draft Okoye, but the team needed a defensive end, not a tackle. The Falcons chose Arkansas end Jamaal Anderson.

Okoye said he learned a lot from Petrino and knows the coach will be successful in the NFL, despite Atlanta's 0-3 start.

"He's a heck of a coach, man," Okoye said. "I know what he emphasizes, what he likes to get done. In college, he carried the team just like a professional team, wanted us to handle ourselves like we were in the pros. I know everything he's capable of."

Since Petrino brought many of his assistants with him to the Falcons, Okoye said it will be nice to see all those familiar faces Sunday. It's that thought that excites him about the game, not any lingering anger over the draft-day snub.

"I wouldn't say it's extra motivation," Okoye said. "Even without them telling me they were going to draft me and then didn't draft me, I'd still be extra motivated to go play them because I know a lot of people over there and I'm going against like my old family."

So far, Okoye hasn't needed any extra motivation after getting three sacks in his first two games, including two key takedowns in Houston's come-from-behind win over Carolina two weeks ago. Houston drafted him to improve its pass rush and so far he's been just what the Texans expected.

He joined a line that includes last year's top overall pick in Mario Williams and 2005 first-round selection Travis Johnson.

Petrino wasn't able to keep up with Okoye's progress through the first three games, but got reacquainted with his work Tuesday.

"I didn't sleep well last night because I've been watching video of him all day yesterday," Petrino said. "He's certainly playing well. He's been very active and has done a nice job rushing the quarterback."

He isn't surprised by Okoye's early success after witnessing his smooth transition to college football as a 16-year-old. At 20, Okoye is the youngest man to play in the NFL in 40 years.

"We did bring him in and we felt like he was so young we needed to redshirt him," Petrino said. "After the first 10 days of practice, he was our third-best defensive tackle. So we felt like it was time to play him."

Okoye, who said he hasn't spoken to Petrino since the draft, isn't sure how he'll feel seeing him again, but doesn't want to "predetermine the feeling." Regardless of how he wanted things to go on draft day, he now believes it worked out for the best.

"I'm happy where I am," he said. "I love the situation I was put in and we've got a really good thing going on here."
Old 09-27-2007   #47
Baga21
Rookie

Quote:
That's the greatest signature pic ever.
2nd that...Hilarious!!!!!!
Baga21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-27-2007   #48
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 54609 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's the greatest signature pic ever.
Has SWT seen it?
Old 09-27-2007   #49
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
I got stuck on Amobi about 2-3 weeks prior to the draft. I'm usually wary of pre-draft hype, but everything I read about the kid just made me want the Texans to pick him more. He's always been an overachiever for his age at every level, and I thought the trend would continue.

I thought we had no chance at him, especially with Atlanta sitting two spots ahead of us.

He has produced beyond my expectations so far - and I already had high ones.
Atlanta lost DE Patrick Kerney to FA, they had to replace him.
On the other hand, they did not expect that DT Rod Coleman would injure himself in a boating accident just days after the draft.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #50
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baga21 View Post
2nd that...Hilarious!!!!!!
I just had a friend make this new one for me. Guy does excellent work, but that Brittney Spears guy....amazing.
Old 09-27-2007   #51
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
Has SWT seen it?
yep. and saved a copy to my photobucket album for a rainy day

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #52
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post
yep. and saved a copy to my photobucket album for a rainy day
I figured that you would enjoy it

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read