Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-25-2007   #21
real

Default Re: How about Amobi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Also depends on how many sacks, FF, and Int Willis gets.
Demeco didn't light it up in those categories last year.
Old 09-25-2007   #22
real

And I'm not really surprised with Amobi's play.

The kid is a really good ball player.
Old 09-25-2007   #23
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohunk View Post
He is definitely a disruptive force on the line!

And, if you might recall, ESPN called it our worst pick of the draft!

Except Michael Smith,. who is the only one I listen too anymore. The rest just regurgitate. Did you hear Jimmy Johnson say we should have taken VY? What a joke. Hes the pres of Reggies fanclub
Old 09-25-2007   #24
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
This is true, but no one could ignore the fact that Ryans led the league, not just rookies, in solo tackles. He had the most tackles by any rookie in the past 20 years or so.
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #25
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys don't suppose that one Mr. Okoye will be playing with a chip on his shoulder this weekend in the A T L?

Joey may be in for a long day on Sunday.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #26
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 87001 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post
You guys don't suppose that one Mr. Okoye will be playing with a chip on his shoulder this weekend in the A T L?

Why would Amobi play with a chip on his shoulder in ATL?
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #27
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
Why would Amobi play with a chip on his shoulder in ATL?
Petrino didn't pick him in the draft.
Allstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2007   #28
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Im comparing Willis to Amobi not to D Ryans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #29
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9714 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyb View Post

God I hope so. Harrington's been on his butt now 14 times in the last three games, but threw for 400+ against Carolina. Time to bring him back down to earth, no pun intended.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #30
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Which ESPN analyst was saying that Amobi was a reach and that having his former college coach Bobby Petrino pass on him for another defensive lineman (Jamaal Anderson) spoke volumes?
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Don't get me wrong here. I loved the Akoye pick, and I think he'll be a fantastic player. But, I wanted them to take Willis. His play on the 49ers has proven my point.

Having not one, but two Demeco Ryans' flying around back there would have made any team we play . . instantly one dimensional. Their running game would be shutdown, and any running quarterbacks scrambling out of the pocket would have been neutralized.

If I had it to do over again, I would have still taken Willis.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #32
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Don't get me wrong here. I loved the Akoye pick, and I think he'll be a fantastic player. But, I wanted them to take Willis. His play on the 49ers has proven my point.

Having not one, but two Demeco Ryans' flying around back there would have made any team we play . . instantly one dimensional. Their running game would be shutdown, and any running quarterbacks scrambling out of the pocket would have been neutralized.

Amobi is making more of an impact in these frist few games than I ever thought he would. I really liked Okoye, Willis, and Revis for our pick at 10. Being an Ole Miss fan, I've gotten to watch a lot of Willis and he's just super impressive. He's going to be a real solid LB for the 49'ers and make all sorts of tackles. Willis and Ryans would have been so impressive.

If Amobi can become as dominate as we're all hoping, it will be great, and I'll stand by the pick like I did at the time. If he doesn't..I'll say secretly I always wanted Willis. hahaha jk I hope both players become dominate (9'ers in NFC!) and Amobi-Mario-TJ take our DLine to whole new level each year they play
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #33
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Which ESPN analyst was saying that Amobi was a reach and that having his former college coach Bobby Petrino pass on him for another defensive lineman (Jamaal Anderson) spoke volumes?
That's the greatest signature pic ever.
Old 09-26-2007   #34
fisherflo
Rookie

Was Amobi churning butter after he sacked Manning? that,s what it looked like to me.
fisherflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #35
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

I love the Amobi pick and am happy to have him as a player...but man what if we got Adrian Peterson? That guy is a stud and just comes into the NFL having 100 yard games and looks like he's still playing in college. He's just one of those guys man, one of those players that can just come in and make a impact.

Just like Meco and VY last year. Amobi this year too, so I am happy we got Amobi as well.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #36
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I thought about that, and I came to the conclusion that Okoye was the right pick for a couple reasons:

1) It's hard to find big guys who can rush the passer and stop the run at DT. A player who can do that is a valuable commodity. Amobi has been doing that and he's only 20. He is going to get physically and mentally stronger with age.

2) Demeco established himself as the leader of our defense. Bringing in another dominant personality might not have been the best thing to do chemistry wise; Especially since Demeco already plays MLB and has stated that he likes playing that position. That'd be like having Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace and asking one of them to play left guard.

I think Willis is a heck of a player and honestly I wouldn't have complained about that selection.

I just think that Amobi meshes better, and he provides value at a position that can really rattle an offense.

And he's playing really well at only 20 yrs. old....
Old 09-26-2007   #37
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2) Demeco established himself as the leader of our defense. Bringing in another dominant personality might not have been the best thing to do chemistry wise; Especially since Demeco already plays MLB and has stated that he likes playing that position. That'd be like having Jonathan Ogden and Orlando Pace and asking one of them to play left guard.
I definitly agree with everything you just said, but Demeco is more of a quiet leader it seems. I think Danny Clark has been a good leader for our LB's and Defense as a whole- he's more outspoken than Demeco. Although he wouldn't have been the starter Willis would have, but I don't think Clark and Demeco conflict each other.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #38
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Okoye hasn't forgotten Petrino's draft snub:

Quote:
The Atlanta Falcons told Amobi Okoye they'd draft him.

Most of the other teams with top 10 picks did, too. But Okoye believed the Falcons since his college coach, Bobby Petrino, had just taken over in Atlanta.

Then the Falcons passed on the defensive tackle at No. 8, and the Texans got him with the 10th pick in a move that taught Okoye an important lesson about the NFL.

"It sunk in that day that this is the NFL and it is a business," he said. "Their heart's not really involved in it. Everybody's got to do what they've got to do, and it wasn't any hard feelings or anything like that."

"I wouldn't say it's extra motivation," Okoye said. "Even without them telling me they were going to draft me and then didn't draft me, I'd still be extra motivated to go play them because I know a lot of people over there and I'm going against like my old family."

Okoye, who said he hasn't spoken to Petrino since the draft, isn't sure how he'll feel seeing him again, but doesn't want to "predetermine the feeling." Regardless of how he wanted things to go on draft day, he now believes it worked out for the best.

"I'm happy where I am," he said. "I love the situation I was put in and we've got a really good thing going on here."
Lookout Joey! Amobi's got a little something extra for you.
Old 09-26-2007   #39
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

I got stuck on Amobi about 2-3 weeks prior to the draft. I'm usually wary of pre-draft hype, but everything I read about the kid just made me want the Texans to pick him more. He's always been an overachiever for his age at every level, and I thought the trend would continue.

I thought we had no chance at him, especially with Atlanta sitting two spots ahead of us.

He has produced beyond my expectations so far - and I already had high ones.
Old 09-27-2007   #40
xcomputerman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
You know how at the draft people expressed concern that Okoye's own coach Bobby Petrino didn't draft him? I heard on the radio the other day that apparently the reason was that Petrino thought he was 'immature'. If that's the real reason, Petrino's not very smart. How mature do you think a 19 year old kid is going to be? Of course he'd be a little immature - but his upside FAR outweighs any concerns... I mean it's not like he was having trouble with the law or anything. THAT's the kind of stuff I'd be worried about - not about some typical immaturity that a 19 year old might exhibit.
This is definitely not true. Petrino has been quoted as saying that the most amazing thing about Amobi was his incredible maturity. He talked about how he has a daughter the same age and he couldn't even imagine sending her off to college at that age. He was going to redshirt him at first but before long he was starting for Louisville. It seems Atlanta passed on him because they had a bigger need at DE, not because they didn't think he was all that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read