Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2007   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How about Amobi!!

Now I was really excited when we drafted him, the potential he has to be a dominating DT is awesome. However, most of us are willing to give him time to develop, not just because of his age, but because the position takes time to get used to in the NFL.

But seriously! 2 Sacks at Carolina. 1 already today...He is really getting in the background and causing some hurries. I think he got a TFL too?

This guy has really surprised me at how quickly he is playing well. I think a lot of it is that our whole DL is better and playing with a passion. that helps

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #2
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How about Amobi!!

DROY? Amobi's looking good.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 21402 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, Amobi is looking really good.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #4
Bulluck53
All Pro

Rep Power: 1628 Bulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respectedBulluck53 is a quality contributor and well respected

Patrick Willis will take DROY. Amobi is having a nice little streak, though.
Bulluck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #5
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulluck53 View Post
Patrick Willis will take DROY. Amobi is having a nice little streak, though.
Willis will need about 110-130 tackles. Amobi will need about 10-14 sacks. If both get there, Amobi will win since the NFL likes the sack more than the tackle.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #6
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Just think that Amobi should be playing for Louisville as a sophomore this year. He's going to be a beast when he's a senior!
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Given the history of the DROY, linebackers tend to win it more than defensive tackles. There are actually very few defensive tackles who have won it because of the nature of the position, and that it tends not to be statastic even though it is crucial to the game.

The Texans have been stout against the run, and he has been a part of that.
Old 09-23-2007   #8
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Willis had 5 tackles today 2 where assisted, not all that out there & plenty of football left to play (last years DROY- DeMeco Ryans 10/3).

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Amobi is big for the Texans, no matter how you cut it. Whether he wins DROY or not isn't as important to me as the impact he is having on the line. And to think that he's just 20!
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #10
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

All of his sacks have come on 3rd downs and have killed the opponents drives. He comes up big when we need him the most!!!
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #11
jaybird
Veteran

Dude looked good today... and with Williams you're going to only be able to double one of them!

And the thing I love about him is how young he is but he's wicked smart.

I never realized just how big his arms are today. Saw him running off and his arms are the size of my legs! Kid's a beast.
Old 09-23-2007   #12
rickyb
Scarlet is hot.

Rep Power: 211 rickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respectedrickyb is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Dude looked good today... and with Williams you're going to only be able to double one of them!
Yup. I was saying the same thing soon after the draft. This synergistic effect is raising the quality of Mario's edge rush, as well as Amobi's push in the middle.

There are only so many double teams to go 'round.

All that cizashe in our d-line is paying off.
rickyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #13
smitty46953
Rookie

Amobi Okoye was a fantastic pick ...I wish we could have had him. This young man will be a asset to both the Texans and your community...
smitty46953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #14
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Amobi's Jersey is in the Mail. I'm gonna wear it proudly. Sounds like he's a great kid overall.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstars View Post
All of his sacks have come on 3rd downs and have killed the opponents drives. He comes up big when we need him the most!!!
Huge point!
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

You know how at the draft people expressed concern that Okoye's own coach Bobby Petrino didn't draft him? I heard on the radio the other day that apparently the reason was that Petrino thought he was 'immature'. If that's the real reason, Petrino's not very smart. How mature do you think a 19 year old kid is going to be? Of course he'd be a little immature - but his upside FAR outweighs any concerns... I mean it's not like he was having trouble with the law or anything. THAT's the kind of stuff I'd be worried about - not about some typical immaturity that a 19 year old might exhibit.

I freakin' LOVE Amobi, and I love the pick. He was advertised as great against the pass, and not so great against the rush. Yet - he's great against both! He's gonna be a monster for years.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #17
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
You know how at the draft people expressed concern that Okoye's own coach Bobby Petrino didn't draft him? I heard on the radio the other day that apparently the reason was that Petrino thought he was 'immature'. If that's the real reason, Petrino's not very smart. How mature do you think a 19 year old kid is going to be? Of course he'd be a little immature - but his upside FAR outweighs any concerns... I mean it's not like he was having trouble with the law or anything. THAT's the kind of stuff I'd be worried about - not about some typical immaturity that a 19 year old might exhibit.

I freakin' LOVE Amobi, and I love the pick. He was advertised as great against the pass, and not so great against the rush. Yet - he's great against both! He's gonna be a monster for years.
Hum, sounds like a crappy "distraction" excuse to the real reason. Amobi wasn't picked by Atlanta because they already have a Pro Bowl 3 technique Defensive lineman in Rod Coleman. They lost Patrick Kearney in the offesason to Seattle, so they tried to go young in DE Jamaal Anderson (my personal choice for the Texans). But here's the catch, after they drafted Anderson, Coleman got hurt. In reality this didn't make much of a difference since they probably would have still drafted Anderson, but it just adds to the atrocious offseason for the Falcons. Saying Amobi is immature seems like a cop-out to me. Petrino should actually kiss his rear, considering how bad Louisville's defense is now without him. Okoye kept the defense respectable.
Old 09-25-2007   #18
Bohunk
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Bohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respected

He is definitely a disruptive force on the line!

And, if you might recall, ESPN called it our worst pick of the draft!

Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #19
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Willis will need about 110-130 tackles. Amobi will need about 10-14 sacks. If both get there, Amobi will win since the NFL likes the sack more than the tackle.
Also depends on how many sacks, FF, and Int Willis gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #20
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Also depends on how many sacks, FF, and Int Willis gets.
Well yeah. LBs tends to get a plethora of tackles while DEs tend to rack up the sack category. I was just trying to give an approximate goal that each would need to attain to be in the running.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read