Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2007   #21
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's time to make Faggins a back up

Faggins is one of those guys that falls under "serviceable." They throw him out there, tell him not to get beat deep and he gives a 20 yrd cushion and teams just pick up 10 a pop on his side. I can basically say he plays football and that is almost a reach. We want to win now but I'm not sure if you don't switch some series up with Bennett and give him the same instructions and see if he can learn and be better.
Old 09-23-2007   #22
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins is awful. I'd start Bennett just as a means to prepare for our first round pick next year. If Bennett passes the test, good. If not we know the most pressing need from a defensive standpoint.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #23
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 85602 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
I can't believe people are still wanting to stick by him.
It's not a question of me 'sticking by him'.

Go back and re-read my post.
Marcus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #24
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100466 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It's not a question of me 'sticking by him'.

Go back and re-read my post.
Fine, if you want to go with Fletcher, thats fine with me.

Frankly I don't care who we throw out there, as long as it's not Faggins. That experiment is over as far as I'm concerned.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #25
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 114345 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i've been sticking up for faggins for a long time now, and frankly i'm ready for a change. he's stinking it up in coverage, he's very hesitant, and needs to be sat out until he steps it up. i'm aware that covering steve smith & marvin harrison is near impossible for anyone, but he's looked horrible thus far.
Old 09-23-2007   #26
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure CB is going to be a top priority for the Texans in the 08 draft-

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #27
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
They throw him out there, tell him not to get beat deep and he gives a 20 yrd cushion and teams just pick up 10 a pop on his side.
Amen. I was getting physically ill watching that over and over again during the game. No jam at the los, just play with a big arse cushion, and get eaten up for 10-15 per pass attempt.

Is there no one who looks better in practice, etc., than Petey? Surely Kubiak & Co. will have to do something because this is pitiful.

Petey Faggins - you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Old 09-23-2007   #28
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90752 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Von Hutchins a former CB as well? I know we converted him to safety but maybe we can re-convert him?

Whatever Kubiak decides, I hope that Petey's not manned up on an elite receiver ever again. For the next few weeks we don't have anything to worry about in regards to covering elite receivers, but something needs to be done about the #2 CB obviously.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #29
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Amen. I was getting physically ill watching that over and over again during the game. Surely Kubiak & Co. will have to do something because this is pitiful.

Petey Faggins - you are the weakest link. Goodbye.
Someone will be placed on IR for sure after this game....That gives a spot to bring in someone to evaluate...
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #30
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins got punked. He was one of the reasons that the game was lost. I understand not wanting to give up the big play, but you cant give that kind of cushion to the colts. Manning will pick you apart every time. Time for Bennet.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #31
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

If we should try Bennet out as CB #2, next week is the perfect time against a weak Falcon team.

EDIT: Then again, Joey Harrington is looking like Peyton Manning against the Carolina's D.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #32
Trap_Star
SiteContributor

Rep Power: 38637 Trap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respectedTrap_Star is a quality contributor and well respected

Faggins can't cover a corpse...with a blanket.
Trap_Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #33
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Does anyone know Petey's 40 time? I was always under the impression that he had fairly good ball skills, but had to give a cushion because he lacked top-end speed. But I found he had the best 3-cone time and an excellent 20-yard shuttle time at the 2002 combine.

They were obviously picking on Petey, and we could use an upgrade, but D-Rob, despite an otherwise very good game, got burned by a play fake for a big one as well. Manning also had a lot of time to throw for most of the game. Just sayin'.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #34
pappy
Veteran

Rep Power: 3248 pappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respectedpappy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon View Post
I don't know why Jamar Fletcher isn't our #2, he's at least made a play on defense this year.
fletcher played but was burned badly , and missed several tackles ! the only good thing secondary wise I saw was bolware covered a couple of times today and stopped a touchdown on one play .
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #35
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy View Post
fletcher played but was burned badly , and missed several tackles ! the only good thing secondary wise I saw was bolware covered a couple of times today and stopped a touchdown on one play .
I saw Boulware burned on acouple of plays, one that sticks out was the colts first TD when Dallas Clark got past him and caught the TD. He was suppose to jam him but didn't and it ended up a TD in about 2 seconds.

I think the only TD stopped in the end zone, was by safety, Von Hutchins.
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I just got back home from the game....Fletcher was picked on early covering the slot. It was clear that the Colts game planned to pick on him and Faggins. Faggins is a good nickel backer...but he isn't anything but a short term starter at CB2...the colts kept going to the slot and then taking the easy curl on the outside with Faggins unable to play bump and run....Faggins had a huge cushion all game. Until the Texans get a legit cb and move Faggins to the nickel, they will struggle against the pass. That may be till next season.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's time to bring in some more CB's this off season and relegate Faggins to Texans history. Maybe Bennett isn't ready but even if he's completely unready I can't see how he could be abused worse than Faggins.

Lets face facts people. Our secondary is a running case of "You ARE the weakest link". There's always one guy back there waiting to give the game away. DeMarcus Faggins is this years Matt Stevens. We may not have anyone better to run out on the field but we can't lie about what we see. Peyton picked on him all day long (as he should have). Faggins is a nickel at best and more than likely on his way out. He's had a heck of a run for a 6th but it's time we got that secondary in order. Our DL rocks, our linebackers are playing their butts off. Our secondary must be improved.
In semi-relevant land, and for a complete history, I will share with you something I heard Matt Stevens say after a fan talked to him nicely about the being burnt thing. (not a subject I'd be happy to bring up to a player).

He said that fans have no idea what coverages are called, and that sometimes he got blamed for things that were other people's responsibilities.

He was at the end of his career, and he was a step or three slow, but the players don't chose themselves. They play usually because there is no better option and hope that coaches put them in good positions.

The guy played for 8 years, coming out of Appalachian State, and I am guessing he stayed in the league that long because a. the Texans were desperate for players and b. he was an effort guy.

FWIW, he was a really nice guy, a not terribly good safety. Not defending him, just reporting.

Basically, I'm guessing our plan for cornerback is to hope that Dunta doesn't get hurt, pray a lot, and then maybe spend some of the money next year that will be freed up from contracts. As much as Bob McNair says the Mario signing was about getting pressure on Peyton Manning, better options in the secondary would help in facing the Colts.

Robinson has more confidence (at least publicly) in Faggins than the fanbase does. He was very happy when Faggins came back after injury.
Old 09-23-2007   #38
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 94067 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

In my book Faggins and Fletcher are both going to get you beat because they both have huge holes in their games. Faggins is a step slow with some skill, Fletcher is a gambler with good athleticism both of them can't be relied on.

Personally I would take the athlete who can recover with some speed and make the occasional play.

What is Bennett's weakness? Is it purely experience at this point and if so, why not throw him in the deep end to find his feet?
Old 09-23-2007   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
It's time to bring in some more CB's this off season and relegate Faggins to Texans history. Maybe Bennett isn't ready but even if he's completely unready I can't see how he could be abused worse than Faggins.

Lets face facts people. Our secondary is a running case of "You ARE the weakest link". There's always one guy back there waiting to give the game away. DeMarcus Faggins is this years Matt Stevens. We may not have anyone better to run out on the field but we can't lie about what we see. Peyton picked on him all day long (as he should have). Faggins is a nickel at best and more than likely on his way out. He's had a heck of a run for a 6th but it's time we got that secondary in order. Our DL rocks, our linebackers are playing their butts off. Our secondary must be improved.
YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH.

[quote=Marcus;743087]You have to have more than size and speed to be an upgrade. You have to know your assignment. You have to know the scheme. Yeah, he might have more size and speed, but what good is that going to do you if you bust a coverage.

Bennett and Fletcher are not starting over Faggins for good reasons.[/QUOTE
I'M NOT SO SURE ABOUT FAGGINS STARTING FOR GOOD REASON. KUBES IS PRETTY LOYAL TO CERTAIN PLAYERS. AFTER WATCHING OUR SUB RECEIVERS TODAY, WHY IS WALTERS STARTING AND ANDRE DAVIS INACTIVE??
At this point, I'm ready to see ANYBODY back there but Faggins. Did Chad Stanley find another job?? At least it would be funny to watch instead of sickening.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #40
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'M NOT SO SURE ABOUT FAGGINS STARTING FOR GOOD REASON. KUBES IS PRETTY LOYAL TO CERTAIN PLAYERS. AFTER WATCHING OUR SUB RECEIVERS TODAY, WHY IS WALTERS STARTING AND ANDRE DAVIS INACTIVE??At this point, I'm ready to see ANYBODY back there but Faggins. Did Chad Stanley find another job?? At least it would be funny to watch instead of sickening.
I think Faggins is there because Robinson likes him on the other side. That he is comfortable that he will do his assignments right. At least that is what he said when Faggins came back from injury.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read