Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-23-2007   #1
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default It's time to make Faggins a back up

Why not go ahead and groom Bennett, Faggins is clearly not a NFL caliber #2 CB

Its time to see what Fred can do when the bullets are flying.

Faggins has given up like 5 TDs the past 2 games

Every minute he is out there is another minute waisted on the future.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: It's time to make Faggins a back up

Faggins is obviously just a nickel back, but this team has no #2 option & he is the best choice.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb View Post
Why not go ahead and groom Bennett, Faggins is clearly not a NFL caliber #2 CB

Its time to see what Fred can do when the bullets are flying.

Faggins has given up like 5 TDs the past 2 games

Every minute he is out there is another minute waisted on the future.
We really need a true #2 CB and they are grooming Freddy B. to hopefully take that over. But Bennett is no where near ready to take that role over right now....he has outplayed the 4th rd pick selection but he is still young and will get burned.

In Faggins defense he is guarding a top 5 WR with the #1 QB throwing to him....but then again he doesn't play too well against lesser matchups either.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #4
WaywardTexanFan
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to WaywardTexanFan Send a message via Yahoo to WaywardTexanFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

In Faggins defense he is guarding a top 5 WR with the #1 QB throwing to him....but then again he doesn't play too well against lesser matchups either.
Faggins is getting burned everytime the ball is snapped. He is just about useless at this point, why not start grooming Fred now? Trial by fire!
Old 09-23-2007   #5
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69328 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually, I greatly disagree........how is Bennett "not ready"

Explain to me how Bennett could possibly do any worse than Faggins. Faggins is a sixth round pick that is getting PICKED on. He has been exposed on film for the world to see.

Right now Fred Bennett is a upgrade.....atleast he has size and more speed going for him.
Old 09-23-2007   #6
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know why Jamar Fletcher isn't our #2, he's at least made a play on defense this year.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #7
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
We really need a true #2 CB and they are grooming Freddy B. to hopefully take that over. But Bennett is no where near ready to take that role over right now....he has outplayed the 4th rd pick selection but he is still young and will get burned.

You still want to try to make a argument for Faggins........just cost us a chance to make a comeback with another one of his patent 20 yard cussions.
Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2007   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68163 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You still want to try to make a argument for Faggins........just cost us a chance to make a comeback with another one of his patent 20 yard cussions.
Maybe he is being told by the coaches to give that big cushion so he doesnt get beat deep again.

Its not that unusual.

Either way, he killing us on 3rd down.
Old 09-23-2007   #9
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 18132 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I want Freddy B. out there. I think he could do much better than Faggins is. Faggins is leaving to much space between him and any WR and he is getting burned on the long balls.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #10
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Actually, I greatly disagree........how is Bennett "not ready"

Explain to me how Bennett could possibly do any worse than Faggins. Faggins is a sixth round pick that is getting PICKED on. He has been exposed on film for the world to see.

Right now Fred Bennett is a upgrade.....atleast he has size and more speed going for him.
Explain to me how hes an upgrade, explain how YOU think he can do better then Faggins. Explain to me what games you watch him played that makes you believe he can contribute right now. Do you even have any idea what you're talking about?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 214832 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

It's time to bring in some more CB's this off season and relegate Faggins to Texans history. Maybe Bennett isn't ready but even if he's completely unready I can't see how he could be abused worse than Faggins.

Lets face facts people. Our secondary is a running case of "You ARE the weakest link". There's always one guy back there waiting to give the game away. DeMarcus Faggins is this years Matt Stevens. We may not have anyone better to run out on the field but we can't lie about what we see. Peyton picked on him all day long (as he should have). Faggins is a nickel at best and more than likely on his way out. He's had a heck of a run for a 6th but it's time we got that secondary in order. Our DL rocks, our linebackers are playing their butts off. Our secondary must be improved.
Old 09-23-2007   #12
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post
Explain to me how hes an upgrade, explain how YOU think he can do better then Faggins. Explain to me what games you watch him played to think hes actually ready to play. Do you even have any idea what you're talking about?
This is quite easy

Fred Bennet.........has wait for it.........wait for it........UPSIDE AND POTENTIAL!!!

Faggins has maxed out on his potenial........he is NEVER GOING TO GET BETTER and at his age, his skills (I say that losely) is only going to erode.

Did anybody see Dunta play before we threw him out there........no.

Fred Bennet has all the tools to be a very good corner in this league, he has things you can't teach sizE, speed, and ball skills, when given time he's played better than Faggins.

What the heck are you afraid of............are you afraid Bennet is going to give up multiple TDs and play soft against the run? I hate to break this to you, but we are getting that RIGHT NOW!

Football is also about developing players, especially when those young players on the bench can't possibly do any worst than the starter thats already out there.

Bennet played in the SEC, he has played against top elite opposition in college and one thing I've noticed about SEC players........they tend to do quite well at the next level.

P.S. please don't ask me if I know what I'm talking about. I've seen what happens when you hang on to lame ducks and don't develop talent.......you end up being the 2007 Astros

The Colts had no problem going with youth at the CB positions and now they are see the benefits.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 09-30-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2007   #13
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You have to have more than size and speed to be an upgrade. You have to know your assignment. You have to know the scheme. Yeah, he might have more size and speed, but what good is that going to do you if you bust a coverage.

Bennett and Fletcher are not starting over Faggins for good reasons.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #14
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Do you think Kubiak is stupid, he knows what he doing. If he thinks Bennet can do better he'll put him in. But guess what, hes 4th CB. That means 3 other CB are BETTER then him. Yea he got upside, but we're trying to win now and if Kubiak thinks Faggins is the 2nd best CB on the team, then I trust him judgement. How many times have you seen Bennet out on the field,on defense,when he was activated for the game? I can honestly say I have not seen him out there one time. Maybe thats because Kubiak knows he'll do worse then the other CB. Gee, you haven't thought of that did ya?

And if you don't think any other CB can do worse then Faggins, then I guess you forgot about P-burnt already. How do you know Bennet is not another P-Burnt?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #15
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 80155 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Bennett injured anyways?

Either way, I'd feel much more confidant in a former 1st rd draft pick (Fletcher) out there than Petey at this point.

On the plus side, not too many teams have 2 great receivers so we'll be okay as long as we don't face those teams.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #16
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You have to have more than size and speed to be an upgrade. You have to know your assignment. You have to know the scheme. Yeah, he might have more size and speed, but what good is that going to do you if you bust a coverage.

My argument is he can't do worse, Faggins is already busting coverage, Faggins is already getting burnt left and right. Faggins has been a starter for like 4 years now and hasn't improved.

We could be getting burned with another CB out there that can learn on the fly and improve. Why waste snaps with a CB thats never going to improve, especailly when every opposing team that we face is going to be having comedy hour film sessions watching him on tape.

I can't believe people are still wanting to stick by him.
Old 09-23-2007   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that Fletcher should get the start over Faggins. Fletcher seems to make alot of plays when he is in the game. We don't have the luxury of playing against mediocre QBs and Faggins is killing us when we play these teams with dangerous passing attacks. Peyton rarely threw at D-Rob but went to Faggins side almost everytime. Seeing Faggins give Steve Smith like 10 yards on the goal line (twice) tells me he doesn't have the recovery speed. These teams are too smart for that.

Marcus it doesn't matter if the guy knows what he is doing if he can't do it. Faggins may know what coverage he is supposed to be in but he gets beat anyway...who the hell cares how much he knows if he sucks. I'm sorry it's just so obvious.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We shall see how the coaches handle this.

Right now Faggins > Bennett.

Sure Faggins gave up A LOT of catches today. I'm not argueing he's a good CB #2, I'm arguing he is better than Bennett is right now.

I'd like to see someone new there just as much as you, but I'm more willing to let them develop Bennett. If I hear you correctly, your saying Bennett has more upside, which I completely agree with. Sometimes players develop better if they aren't thrown into a starting role right away. Sometimes players develop better by being a back up.

I understand your point that Bennett couldn't be any worse than Faggins. Faggins gave up some big catches, and some 1st downs that hurt us. he didn't give up any TD's though. We're all 'guessing' here, but I'd guess if Bennett were covering Harrison the whole day, he would have given up a TD.

At least we were in the game untill the end.. I hope Bennett can come in and get some playing time and prove to us he's ready to start.

scratch that...fletcher did have a bad break on the ball for Addai's 2nd TD run. lol but I still think we need to develop Bennett more before he actually starts for us. I'd rather start Fletcher at this point too
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My argument is he can't do worse, Faggins is already busting coverage, Faggins is already getting burnt left and right. Faggins has been a starter for like 4 years now and hasn't improved.

We could be getting burned with another CB out there that can learn on the fly and improve. Why waste snaps with a CB thats never going to improve, especailly when every opposing team that we face is going to be having comedy hour film sessions watching him on tape.

I can't believe people are still wanting to stick by him.
Thats not true.

Faggins has improved every year.

He's just still not very good.
Old 09-23-2007   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Thats not true.

Faggins has improved every year.

He's just still not very good.
Yeah, because he certainly stepped up his game this year........Kudos to him only holding Steve Smith to 2tds and a hundred yards. If it wasn't for the masterful play of Faggins Smith would of easily went off for 5 TDs

Faggins has been the same CB for the past 3 years and he's even worse this year.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read