Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-21-2007   #61
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson expected to be out 5 weeks

I would just like to know what were the results of the MRI, that's all. A radiologist examines the scans, and types a report based upon his findings. I've had an MRI with contrast done recently. That is the procedure.

MRI results are pretty cut and dried, one way or the other. The Texans are not revealing what the results were.

Why?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #62
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Playing with no ACL is no only dangerous, but frankly, sort of stupid. You could end up SERIOUSLY injured, and when your career rests on the health of your knees, you don't risk millions in my opinion
Do you know anyone that would represent me in a malpractice suit against my old ortho?

You say it's stupid, yet the doctor that I say at St. Luke's in Houston told me that I could do no more harm to my knee. He basically gave me the option of surgery immediately or playing with surgery later. I got fitted for a Donjoy and hit the field.

Have you ever had a knee surgery or did you play football in high school? Let me know why you think that playing on a torn ACL can seriously injure me.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #63
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
Do you know anyone that would represent me in a malpractice suit against my old ortho?

You say it's stupid, yet the doctor that I say at St. Luke's in Houston told me that I could do no more harm to my knee. He basically gave me the option of surgery immediately or playing with surgery later. I got fitted for a Donjoy and hit the field.

Have you ever had a knee surgery or did you play football in high school? Let me know why you think that playing on a torn ACL can seriously injure me.
Shaft, you need to get a second opinion. I'm no doctor, but a torn ACL is an unstable knee. You don't want a bone on bone condtion, else you be looking at knee replacement later on in your life, and those are no fun.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #64
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80044 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I really hope Andre can make it back soon . Five weeks is a long time in the NFL . Maybe this will be the beginning of the Jacoby Era .

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #65
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
TC,

Classically, the knee is stabilized by the 2 side (collateral) ligaments and a front (anterior cruciate ACL) ligament and back (posterior cruciate PCL) ligament. The cruciate ligaments connect the lower portion of the thigh (femur) bone with to the upper surface of the shin (tibia) bone, each crossing the knee joint (thus the name cruciate).

The PCL functions mainly in preventing the tibia from traveling backwards on the femur, known as posterior drawer sign. PCL tears are graded I- III with III being the worst. These grades are classified by the amount of backward tibial movement observed when the knee is bent at 90 degrees. Mild injury does not cause instability. More serious injury leads to knee instability with the shin bone having a tendency to slide backwards when the knee is bent at 90 degrees...............The main pain secondary to this injury is felt in the CALF. Once injured the PCL NEVER completely heals and must be doubly protected by strengthening of the quadracep, hamstring and calf muscles. Repeated injuries can lead to the need for surgical intervention.
Could you expound on the benefits of surgery? More specifically, how long would it take to rehab and would the knee be 100% afterward?
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #66
Shaft75
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7233 Shaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respectedShaft75 is a quality contributor and well respected

CloakNNNdagger,

How can you check yourself to see if the shin slides backwards at 90 degrees? My knee(right) still buckles a little, but it seems like the shin slides forward and a little to the left when I flex my quad. A little off topic but an answer would be helpful. Thanks.
Shaft75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007   #67
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Its easy to get all worked up about this kind of thing, but the reality is there is no reason to. Yet.

When cloack mentioned that PCL injuries never "fully" heal, thats a little misleading and is going to cause a lot of chicken little reactions.

A non-surgerical requiring injury does not cause knee instability, and therefore while the PCL may not recover to its original strength, muscle strengthening and rehabilition over both short and long term allows for a "100%" recovery. It may not be exactly the same, but functionally it works.

Also, don't think of this injury as chronic. His 2005 injury was never fully diagnosed. A LOT of injuries result in calf pain, including direct calf injuries. He played the entire 2006 season at 100% (103 catches, thats a lot of tackles). If he was suffering from a chronic condition, we would have noticed some pain or limping from him after being hit in 2006.

Furthermore, he took a SHOT in the Panthers game. Its not like he was running, planted, and then came up limp. He landed from catching, planted his feet, and then got completely knocked. If you heard the interviews, everyone saw his knee bend in a non-natural way. If he had suffered a previous PCL injury, the current injury may have been much more serious.

Finally, players injure their knees all the time. Many, many players with NO history of knee injuries can tear their ACL just by taking an awkward step. Look at Lawson just a few days ago.

The fact is, conditioning is the only way to help prevent injuries, as football is a violent sport. AJ's condition is not "chronic" in the way that a lot of players have "chronic" knee problems. He is probably just as likely as anyone else of developing an injury. He played all of 2006 injury free, and so I would hardly get all worked up. Yet

A "chicken little" response was not what I intended. But "chronic" is not what I implied............."recurrent" is what I was referring to. Once a ligament is injured, as you and I have both pointed out, there is usually the ability to "compensate" with muscle strengthening, if the injury is not severe. However, reinjury is more likely in a case like this (with a front on hit on the tibia while the knee is bent). "Compensation" then becomes more difficult........and the probability of developing "chronic" related problems are likewise increased. Having played a season at "100 %" in no way rules out likelihood of recurrence, and in no way is surprising, or minimizes the situation.

Meanwhile, all the above are irrelevant to the fact that the Texans know what the injury is......and have a good idea of what a realistic prognosis is............and are evidently concealing pertinent information ("His 2005 injury was never fully diagnosed"---right), whether good or bad..............and, yes, excuse me for using the word "concealing," but I feel that is an appropriate word for the situation as it stands.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2007   #68
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaft75 View Post
CloakNNNdagger,

How can you check yourself to see if the shin slides backwards at 90 degrees? My knee(right) still buckles a little, but it seems like the shin slides forward and a little to the left when I flex my quad. A little off topic but an answer would be helpful. Thanks.

You don't need an attorney, you need a well-trained orthopedic surgeon to re-evaluate you condition. Your above findings are totally consistent with lack of the support of an anterior cruciate ligament. This ligament limits the extent of the tibia moving forward on the femur (just like the posterior cruciate ligament limits the tibia moving backward on the femur). I have no idea why you received the advise to continue your football activities under the circumstances. But I do know that with the instability you are describing, in time left untreated may cause enough irreversible degenerative changes (if you haven't already) that knee replacement may need to be entertained. At minimum, you need to find out at least if ACL repair is indicated.........and NOW rather that later.

Good luck
Old 09-21-2007   #69
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Could you expound on the benefits of surgery? More specifically, how long would it take to rehab and would the knee be 100% afterward?
Hard question..........in that if there is relatively minor "collateral" cartilage damage from the acute injury..........a scope and rehab..........around 2 months to be relatively functional.........3-4 months back to preop perfomance
(remember, without all the info on the injury, tough to pin down)

If actual repair of the ligament, all bets are off..............6 months of rehab then straight line running until muscles extra supportive (~80% normal strength)..........then lateral running andcutting is allowed. Rule of thumb>>>>>>>> 1/2 of patients can return at the same level, 1/3 can return at a lower level, and one sixth cannot return at all.
Old 09-25-2007   #70
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
A "chicken little" response was not what I intended. But "chronic" is not what I implied............."recurrent" is what I was referring to. Once a ligament is injured, as you and I have both pointed out, there is usually the ability to "compensate" with muscle strengthening, if the injury is not severe. However, reinjury is more likely in a case like this (with a front on hit on the tibia while the knee is bent). "Compensation" then becomes more difficult........and the probability of developing "chronic" related problems are likewise increased. Having played a season at "100 %" in no way rules out likelihood of recurrence, and in no way is surprising, or minimizes the situation.

Meanwhile, all the above are irrelevant to the fact that the Texans know what the injury is......and have a good idea of what a realistic prognosis is............and are evidently concealing pertinent information ("His 2005 injury was never fully diagnosed"---right), whether good or bad..............and, yes, excuse me for using the word "concealing," but I feel that is an appropriate word for the situation as it stands.
Maybe I missed it, but today's paper is the first time that I've read that he has both a strained PCL and MCL. (Was this reported before?) Does this change the time table of him coming back any? The maximum time they've suggested is 5 weeks, but making noise like he is so well conditioned he could be back sooner.
Old 09-25-2007   #71
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Maybe I missed it, but today's paper is the first time that I've read that he has both a strained PCL and MCL. (Was this reported before?) Does this change the time table of him coming back any? The maximum time they've suggested is 5 weeks, but making noise like he is so well conditioned he could be back sooner.
No this is the first I have heard or seen anything about both being sprained.
Old 09-25-2007   #72
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay, to be clear, this is what the paper said today regarding AJ:

Quote:
Johnson will not return this week, either. Sunday was the first time he was allowed to bend his knee since suffering the sprain Sept. 16 against the Carolina Panthers.

Johnson sprained the posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in his left knee, and must wait until they both heal.

"It's like I'm learning to walk normally again," Johnson said. "I've been in a brace for the whole week. Now, I have slack in my brace where I can bend my knee."
Five weeks was the outside amount of time that they said last week. They didn't reveal the PCL/MCL thing last week, they barely mentioned the PCL originally.

hmmmm.
Old 09-25-2007   #73
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 314423 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

bummer. Sounds like it might be at least a couple of more weeks before AJ is up to playing.
Old 09-25-2007   #74
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Pup ?
Old 09-25-2007   #75
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
Pup ?
Too late for that.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #76
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

PFT wasn't too far off on their 5 weeks out speculation.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #77
Andrew6
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4661 Andrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respectedAndrew6 is a quality contributor and well respected

anyone else getting a sick feeling about this?
Old 09-25-2007   #78
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6 View Post
anyone else getting a sick feeling about this?
I have a sick feeling about the rest of our season now. If its this bad this early...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007   #79
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10704 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Too late for that.
You're right, I missed that detail
Old 09-25-2007   #80
Fox
All Pro

Rep Power: 414 Fox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respectedFox is a quality contributor and well respected

I think some of you conspiracy theorists are jumping the gun a tad early on this one. The Texans are one of the most media friendly teams in the league, and provide their fans with great access to the goings on within the organization. Perhaps they haven't released a detailed medical report on Andre's knee because: 1. It would be a bunch of meaningless medical jargon to most Texans fans. 2. I can't see how it would be helpful to the franchise, they obviously know the diagnosis and telling us won't make it get better any faster. And 3. Does Doctor - Patient confidentiality come into play under any of these circumstances? If a player comes down with a serious case of syphilis and has to miss a game, are you going to demand them to release a statement that said player had a little too much fun in Vegas and has a bad case of the syph?

Andre sprained his knee, he should be back in a couple weeks. Other than satisfying your curiosity, what good is it going to do for them to tell us to what degree the ligament was strained and other medical minutia?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read