Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 09-20-2007   #1
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Default A&M & Miami

Tomorrow morning the Texas A&M Miami game is televised here live.

Which players should I look out for?
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #2
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A&M & Miami

I think that this might be a good game. Neither team really looks like they've got a defense at this point, so I expect a high score.

I watched Miami get blown out by OU a few weeks ago and nobody really stood out that week. Maybe because the game was so boring, I kept switching to the other games. They don't have their names on their jerseys this year either, so that doesn't help.

The A&M offense looks like they'll produce some NFL players someday. I watched A&M play the same day against Fresno State and Jervorskie Lane seems like the guy that really stands out to me. He's the type of runner that gets the tough yards and tries to lay out tacklers. They alternate him with Mike Goodson, who's more of a finesse RB. It seems like they use those guys the same way that USC used Reggie Bush and Lendale White.

Stephen McGee is a pretty dangerous QB. He has a pretty good connection with Martellus Bennett (the TE.) He can make plays with his legs too.

I'm sure some of our Aggie friends around here could tell you more.

How are the All-Blacks looking this year?
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #3
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Actually Mr. White summed that up pretty well...

On defense, I like Dodge. He's a great story!! He served in the United States Army in the "Old Guard" which is an elite unit. Anyway, he was stationed at the Pentagon when 9/11 occurred. Oh, and he's a pretty good LB too.
Old 09-20-2007   #4
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I think that this might be a good game. Neither team really looks like they've got a defense at this point, so I expect a high score.

I watched Miami get blown out by OU a few weeks ago and nobody really stood out that week. Maybe because the game was so boring, I kept switching to the other games. They don't have their names on their jerseys this year either, so that doesn't help.

The A&M offense looks like they'll produce some NFL players someday. I watched A&M play the same day against Fresno State and Jervorskie Lane seems like the guy that really stands out to me. He's the type of runner that gets the tough yards and tries to lay out tacklers. They alternate him with Mike Goodson, who's more of a finesse RB. It seems like they use those guys the same way that USC used Reggie Bush and Lendale White.

Stephen McGee is a pretty dangerous QB. He has a pretty good connection with Martellus Bennett (the TE.) He can make plays with his legs too.

I'm sure some of our Aggie friends around here could tell you more.

How are the All-Blacks looking this year?
That was a pretty good review of our team thus far. We have a few standouts on defense, but our secondary is a problem. They are a bunch of very physical guys, and we are pretty darn effective against the run. The passing game is a huge concern of mine.

Defensive players of note include LB Mark Dodge, a tackling machine who is always in the action, and defensive end Michael Bennett, who has made some big plays.
TexansLucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Mr. White mentioned Martellus Bennett and TexansLucky mentioned Michael Bennett - don't get confused. Yes, they are brothers, but one is offense and one plays "D".
Old 09-20-2007   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Some Miami guys to watch out for:

QB Kyle Wright - he's got some talent but he is very inconsistent. There's a good chance that his play will determine which team wins.

RB - Javarris James - had 802 rushing yards & 5 TDs as a true freshman last year. This year he is getting 5.3 YPC & has 2 TDs.

RB - Graig Cooper - has 190 yards & 1 TD so far this year as a true freshman.

DE - Calais Campbell - 12 tackles, 4 TFL, 2 sacks, & 1 INT this year. Potentially the top DE prospect in the nation. 16 career sacks (11 last year).

S - Kenny Phillips - 25 tackles, 2 TFL, 1 FF, 1 INT. Potentially the top S prospect in the nation. 6 career INTs.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #7
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Miami fan here.

um, don't worry about anyone except the RB's. Phillips is grossly overrated, i'm still waiting for him to play a game where he lives up to his potential. everyone that says he's better than Sean Taylor or Ed Reed....pppppffffttttttt, those guys won games almost on their own. Campbell is a beast, but we got a 2005 NC State-type d-line. focus on Campbell too much and someone else will get ya

James and Cooper, however, are good for 100 yards a piece if given the carries. but that may not even happen, as our OC is an *****.

A&M wins by 3 touchdowns at least
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2007   #8
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Miami fan here.

um, don't worry about anyone except the RB's. Phillips is grossly overrated, i'm still waiting for him to play a game where he lives up to his potential. everyone that says he's better than Sean Taylor or Ed Reed....pppppffffttttttt, those guys won games almost on their own. Campbell is a beast, but we got a 2005 NC State-type d-line. focus on Campbell too much and someone else will get ya

James and Cooper, however, are good for 100 yards a piece if given the carries. but that may not even happen, as our OC is an *****.

A&M wins by 3 touchdowns at least
I guess I didn't know how bad it was in Miami. I expected this to be our first test, considering the nature of the game (Thursday night, our first away game).

If they can't activate a passing game (and it seems you don't think they will be able to), they won't win this game. The only teams who will beat us this year are those who can pass effectively and spread out our defense.
Old 09-20-2007   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
I guess I didn't know how bad it was in Miami. I expected this to be our first test, considering the nature of the game (Thursday night, our first away game).

If they can't activate a passing game (and it seems you don't think they will be able to), they won't win this game. The only teams who will beat us this year are those who can pass effectively and spread out our defense.
Are you predicting losses to Texas Tech & Texas???
Old 09-20-2007   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

i really have no reason at all to think they can pass effectively against anyone. couldn't do it against Marshall or FIU for the love of pete

however, i will point out the simple fact that Miami has always been extremely pumped up for primetime games, so they'll be putting their best game forward
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a friend here who is a Big UM fan. If UM can hold the front seven against the run this could be an interesting game.While McGee is tough as they come his passing skills are suspect.

Miami has the talent of course, the problem has been inconsistent QB play since Ken Dorsey left. Once coach Shannons gets that done this team will be up there again...until then well they'll be up and down.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #12
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover
Talking Re: A&M & Miami

Thanks for the info guys - looking forward to watching the game. More often than not I enjoy college more than the NFL.

Mr White - the rugby world cup is on at the moment (if you didn't know) so it's going to be incredibility nervous times as we get closer to the business end of the tournament.
The All Blacks have been dominating world rugby for the last 4 years, so if we don't win the cup this year, then we're never going to win it. Our old foe South Africa are looking good, and it looks like we'll be meeting them in the final if results go as planned - they are the only team that has beaten us every year in the last 4 years (we play Aussie and South Africa 3 times a year).
JayCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #13
CLTEXAN_FAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 CLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVP

The thing with McGee is that he was a top rated passing quarterback in high school, he can throw the ball but Fran never opens the playbook. I hate the fact that Fran was susposed to be this great offense mastermind when they brought him in and we have been running this same crappy predictable crap since he got here. I never thought I would say I wish we were still running Slocums offense. Yeah I said it. Our offense is boring and predictable.
We will go out there tonight and run a bunch of options and halfback delays out of the shotgun formation. Lane and Goodson are great running backs but if Miami can figure out how to stop the run like Fresno St. did, we could be in for a long night. I say Aggies win 31-24!

And for the guys who were talking about Dodge, he is a machine. Leads the team in tackles and is one of the toughest football players I have ever seen. During the Fresno St. game he got helped off the field twice and was back in there twice limping around and all wraped up. He is a modern day Gladiator.

Gig'em
Old 09-20-2007   #14
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

game time!

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Looks like A&M isnt ready.
Old 09-20-2007   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

the Miami O line looks like it is more physical than the Aggie D line so far.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Miami gets an 18 play drive for a TD on their first possesion.
Old 09-20-2007   #18
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Are you predicting losses to Texas Tech & Texas???
Texas Tech will be one of our hardest games. I will be highly surprised if we win that one. We just don't match up against them very well at all.

I am not worried about Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Miami gets an 18 play drive for a TD on their first possesion.
Yep, they did good. Our guys definitely need to wake up if they want to take the W tonight.
Old 09-20-2007   #19
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Did you see that block??? I LOVE IT!
Old 09-20-2007   #20
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

The Ags don't even look like they want to be there. We need a huge play to boost our morale, otherwise this game is done. They just need to play some football.

(and as I type this, we get a sack for an 11 yard loss)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read