Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-19-2007   #1
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover
Default McNabb Comments

Did not see a thread for this, so I thought I would post for debate:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Philadelphia Eagles star Donovan McNabb says black quarterbacks face greater scrutiny than their white counterparts.

In an interview on HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" to be broadcast Tuesday, McNabb said black quarterbacks "have to do a little bit extra" because there are relatively few of them, adding "people didn't want us to play this position."

McNabb said if he passes for 300 yards and his team wins by a touchdown, critics will say, "Oh, he could have made this throw here. We would have scored more points if he would have done this."

Asked if white quarterbacks such as Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer are held to the same standards, McNabb replied: "Let me start by saying, I love those guys. But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

McNabb is one of six black starting quarterbacks in the NFL. The others are David Garrard of Jacksonville, Vince Young of Tennessee, Steve McNair of Baltimore, Jason Campbell of Washington and Tarvaris Jackson of Minnesota.

McNabb, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, is 91/2 months removed from major knee surgery and has missed 13 games the past two seasons because of injuries. On Monday night, he misfired on several throws and couldn't create big plays during the Eagles' 20-12 loss to Washington.

In 2003, conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh, briefly part of ESPN's pregame show, said he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL," Limbaugh said. "The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

He resigned from the show the next week.

Last edited by gjmac2; 09-19-2007 at 02:46 PM.
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNabb Comments

no copy and pastes without links...please

McNabb is a crybaby and loses a ton of credibility out of this. I had a higher opinion of him before this stupid commentary.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109003 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Limbaugh was wrong.

McNabb is also.

Maybe if he played like an NFL QB on Monday night then he wouldnt have had anybody criticize him.

The race card is being exceedingly overplayed these days. There is less racism now in the US than there ever has been before, but there seems to more people complaining about it.

Whenever a white man gets outplayed by a black man it is because black people are "naturally athletic" or some nonsense. It cant possibly be that the guy was just better than you.

And if a black man gets criticized it is because "the man" is holding him down. It cant possibly be that his play deserves to be criticized.

I'm white by the way, take my comments however you want from that perspective.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #4
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217952 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Im sick of the race card .Its overplayed and out dated , its 2007 not 1967 .

By the way who took more criticism , Mcnabb or David Carr ..... McNabb hasnt been cut yet .

I Miss Good Schaub.

Last edited by Corrosion; 09-19-2007 at 02:58 PM.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #5
real

Well, I'm black and I think McNabb was correct, but not in this particular instance. I think he was just whining after a poor showing.

I do believe Blacks in general are portrayed more negatively in the media.

And I disagree that there is "less" racism in the United States than in "years past". I think there is less open racism, and I think that certain laws have helped with that. I'm not even saying that there is more or equal racism as years past--I'm just saying that desegregation, Hate crime laws, Affirmitive action and things like that have, in a way, masked racism a bit.

Racism will always exist as long as there are different races. So goes life.
Old 09-19-2007   #6
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

it's ironic because after the Limbaugh comments, McNabb held a presser stating that he doesn't like the term "black quarterback" and wishes he was just looked at as a "quarterback." but he's used that very term several times since then to gain sympathy. sounds like an ***** just trying to place blame anywhere he can but himself.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post

And I disagree that there is "less" racism in the United States than in "years past".
how old are you then? It wasn't that long ago when we had white and black drinking fountains in public places....just in my short lifetime I've seen huge change.

Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2007   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

My take:

I don't think what he said was particularly outrageous. The only controversial thing is that he dared to be a public figure that talked about race out loud:

I wrote about this yesterday at FanHouse, mostly because the stuff I was hearing on sports talk radio about the comments was so over the top.

FanHouse: "McNabb Race Comment Controversy: Says More About Us Than Him"
Old 09-19-2007   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

I don't think it is outrageous either. I just view it as trying to paint himself as a victim and using race as leverage....not something high character, leadership kinda guys do for the most part.

Old 09-19-2007   #10
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think this is more about McNabb not being able to handle the pressure of being a starting QB for the Eagles all the while looking over his shoulder & seeing Kolb inching closer & closer to his starting job. Competition is a driving force in the NFL. It often brings the best out of a player, but it looks as though it's bringing the worst out in McNabb.

My prediction is that Kolb will get some playing time in the last 5 or 6 games of the season, and could be the starter if the Eagles are out of contention by midseason.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

First, McNabb plays in Philly. Win the big one, or take the heat. See Mike Schmidt.

Second, those folks booed Santa.

Last, no one and I mean no one (Black, White, Hispanic or Purple) has taken anymore criticism than Rex Grossman....
Old 09-19-2007   #12
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 317-6-8, 115 Q6
Rep Power: 48949 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I just recalled a comment a relative made a couple of years ago in that most of what TO says is right, he just doesn't need to say it.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree. White QBs never get criticized and I should know. signed David Carr
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #14
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by real View Post
I do believe Blacks in general are portrayed more negatively in the media.
Are you talking about sports or real life or both. I'll handle just the sports issue since I'm not black and can't speak on what a black man experiences. But I do watch tv and am an avid sports fan and have seen the terrible portrayal of black people.

I mean Vince Young. I mean surely he isn't one of the most celebrated quarterbacks of our time. No, of course not. All anyone sees is that Vince Young is black. Yeah right...

Michael Vick: The media called him superman before he decided to become super dog killer.

Ken Griffey, Jr: In the 90s, he was my favorite baseball player. Yet he was also one of the most celebrated athletes in all of sports at the time.

Barry Bonds: The only reason everyone hates him is because he is an asshole and he cheated.

Pacman Jones: He had his guys shoot a man. How else can the media portray him?

Tank Johnson: Had an arsenal in his home. Nuff said.

Donovan McNabb: Cheered when he does well. Jeered when he does poorly. But surely he doesn't play in the same stadium where Santa Clause was booed...

Odell Thurman: Druggy. Nuff said.

Ray Lewis: Committed criminal actions, yet he is still celebrated as one of the most MLB in the NFL. The media loves him!

Ladainian Tomlinson: Extremely celebrated, everybody loves him, and yeah he's black. But shouldn't that mean everyone is upset he is the NFL rushing champion with all this racism in the world?

Maybe I missed your point but blacks are not treated more harshly. All one has to do is look at the flack David Carr receives. Quarterbacks, period, receive too much criticism and too much credit. That's the nature of the position. And maybe if some of the black quarterbacks not in Philly performed a little bit better they wouldn't be hated so much. Mike Vick couldn't pass yet Atlanta still loved him. McNabb has been on and off his whole career. Inconsistency will breed discontent. Leftwich has been a disappointment. Garrard has been average. Culpepper has been horrible and he deserved to lose his job. Jamarcus Russell got picked number one. Vince Young, well you know the rest.

As far as not having enough black quarterbacks: Are we supposed to go search exclusively for black quarterbacks? Or do we simply let them do what colleges do and sort them out? College coaches will decide the best position for the player, black or white, and play them there. If a pro team likes them and they perform well, then they get drafted. Did I miss anything?
Old 09-19-2007   #15
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 4615 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

A certain Chicago QB is feeling the heat also. He is also being booed by the fans. He is not blaming the fact that he is white for the fans bashing him.

It is of general concensus that he has stunk it up and he is in Chicago.
Old 09-19-2007   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139196 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree. White QBs never get criticized and I should know. signed David Carr
How dare you forget about me,

Rex Grossman
Super Bowl runner-up,

Trent Dilfer
Super Bowl winner,

Joey Harrington,

Chris Simms,
Old 09-19-2007   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
how old are you then? It wasn't that long ago when we had white and black drinking fountains in public places....just in my short lifetime I've seen huge change.
When I was 12, I got yelled at for drinking from a "colored" fountain. I yelled back "I'm thirsty, dumb a--." Of course I could run pretty fast for a white boy in those days.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #18
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post

Yeah, that's pretty much my point...

There is no way to measure racism...

Just because there have been laws made to couteract some of it, doesn't mean there is indeed "less racism"....You nor I can prove how someone views another race within their heart...

You yourself said "it wasn't that long ago"...Well if it wasn't that long ago, why do you assume that "racism" has declined past what the laws now tell us we can and can't do ? Do you think that within half a century all the racist that were alive have fallen off the face of the earth ? Do you think some of these peoples children haven't learned from their parents ? Do you think that a person cannot be a natural racist (as in, no one taught them to be racist, it was just a concious decision they made) ?

Racism isn't something that has to be directly taught otherwise it wouldn't exist...

There are some people in this world who don't like black people and think negatively about the race, but they aren't going out of their way to do them injustice...those people are still racist...If they had the chance they'd probably rid the country of blacks...

Just because you don't see lynchings galore doesn't mean racism has declined...It just means that people do a better job hiding it...But that is just my feelings on the subject.
Old 09-19-2007   #19
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Maybe I missed your point but blacks are not treated more harshly. All one has to do is look at the flack David Carr receives.
Not sure what that little rant was about, but I totally disagree...Well I can't really even say totally because I stopped reading after it became clear that you weren't trying to understand what I was saying and merely felt like sputing off. But anyways, I'll just leave it at "I disagree with you, and have a nice day sir"....
Old 09-19-2007   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Maybe I missed your point but blacks are not treated more harshly. All one has to do is look at the flack David Carr receives.
Not sure what that little rant was about, but I totally disagree...Well I can't really even say totally because I stopped reading after it became clear that you weren't trying to understand what I was saying and merely felt like spouting off. But anyways, I'll just leave it at "I disagree with you, and have a nice day sir"....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read