Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quick Question re: Steve Smith's 3rd TD

Matt

Blogfather
OK, it could just be my over-active imagination running away again. Totally possible. But was Smith's third TD caught against a soft zone rather than man coverage?

Because, if it was, that means Dunta held Smith to 3 catches for 23 yards and picked off the other attempted throw to him. That is as close as anyone ever gets to owning Smith.

Of course, if the third was just blown coverage by Dunta, this whole thing is moot.

:d:

OK, it could just be my over-active imagination running away again. Totally possible. But was Smith's third TD caught against a soft zone rather than man coverage?

Because, if it was, that means Dunta held Smith to 3 catches for 23 yards and picked off the other attempted throw to him. That is as close as anyone ever gets to owning Smith.

Of course, if the third was just blown coverage by Dunta, this whole thing is moot.

I believe it was zone........and it was blown tackling that made it possible for him to score.

I believe it was zone........and it was blown tackling that made it possible for him to score.

The latter is definitely true. The biggest problem there was the DeMeco didn't finish the tackle. I think the other players saw Ryans wrap Smith up and slowed down a little, thinking that DeMeco always makes that play.

Hard to bring down Smith hitting him above the waist. I'm glad the play did not happen earlier allowing it to be more of a motivator for Panthers. This game had to increase fan and player optimism. Down 14 and did not blink. Just took care of business.

The latter is definitely true. The biggest problem there was the DeMeco didn't finish the tackle. I think the other players saw Ryans wrap Smith up and slowed down a little, thinking that DeMeco always makes that play.
You also had Texans hitting Texans on that botched play...they knocked each other off of Smith and allowed him to get away. Just a fluke play that I'm only concerned about because of the stats it skewed. That kind of thing will happen with a hard hitting, swarming D.

UM... a couple of years ago Anthony Henry & Terrence Newman had Steve Smith so frustrated that he hit a referee, and was ejected from the game in the first half.

UM... a couple of years ago Anthony Henry & Terrence Newman had Steve Smith so frustrated that he hit a referee, and was ejected from the game in the first half.

Frustrated by two people is not quite the same as completely shut down by one cornerback.

it was a 7 yd dump underneath to Smith with DeMeco reading the play & in position to wrap him up. It was a text book tackle except DeMeco was unable to wrap him him because Smith an exceptionally powerful wr exploded with such force he broke free from DeMeco's grasp. the rest was a combination of great footwork, vision & speed thats why he is a pro-bowler & one of the best, if not the best in the NFL. He does this type of thing to lots of players & teams.

Look at it as a blessing in disguise.

I can gaurantee that the players were P.O'd about that ragedy TD they gave up, and that will only make our defense better. I'm pretty sure they will wrap up and make sure guys are truly taken down from now on.

You also had Texans hitting Texans on that botched play...they knocked each other off of Smith and allowed him to get away.

Yea if I remember correctly, Demps jumped in but hit a Texan instead of Smith and that's when he squirted out. Good thing is that the touchdown didn't have an effect on the outcome of the game (just the stats) and that it can be a learning experience for the D. Hopefully they'll see it and say, "We're not letting that happen again."

But we are all pretty much in agreement that it was zone D on the third?

I think it was a zone and I think that if anyone was supposed to be covering Smith, it was Jamar Fletcher. I seem to remember that 21 was the closest Texan at the time he caught the ball.

He got around Demeco Ryans and Dunta Robinson on the same play. It's safe to say that he might be the best receiver in the league.

I'm sure that they don't like seeing themselves getting "postered" on all the highlight reels (especially when they played an otherwise solid game.)

i remember it as demeco going for the tackle but had him wrapped up to high and demeco slipped over him and lost his grasp. then dunta had a shot but didn't really get to him and demps came up and knocked dunta over and let smith run to the zone.

That's how I remember it as well. Nobody tackled him below the waist, they all went high which is a big reason how he got away. I thought it was poor tackling, not textbook.

Steve Smith may be the strongest player in the NFL, pound for pound. An amazing player who I still think will lead the Panthers to the playoffs.

Steve Smith may be the strongest player in the NFL, pound for pound. An amazing player who I still think will lead the Panthers to the playoffs.

It's the NFC... Of course they'll go to the play-offs.

Back