Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2007   #1
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post The Colts and our D-Backs

The Colts will be a challenge for our D-backs thats for sure. Harrison/Wayne should have our best cover corners assigned to them with double coverage on Marvin Harrison. Ever since the Lee Evans thing last year I lost trust in Faggins and after last week, I'd put in Fletcher and put Faggins as Nickel.

We all know Dallas Clark needs a good coverage LB on him. (Ryans possibly) But that leaves the run game for Indy at an advantage if we do that.

Don't forget about A. Gonzalez! If the rest are covered and the team forgets about him then we're going to be in for a long day.

In a previous post I said that the Carolina game is going to be a huge test (that they overwhelmingly passed) for the OL.

This game will be where our defense really needs to step up to the task at hand with all the weapons that Indy has! Don't lay off the line 10 yards or Peyton will just light us up 5 yards at a time. I have every bit of confidence that our defense can and will step up to the challenge. Its just who's gonna step up for AJ's absence?! I mean for the time being of course.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #2
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225061 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Colts and our D-Backs

Our DL needs to make the difference. This is what they're here to do. This is why they were drafted. This is THEIR DESTINY!

If they don't get to Manning and stop the run this game cannot be won. Not many people get to Manning so it's no easy task.
Old 09-19-2007   #3
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: The Colts and our D-Backs

This is one of the ultimate tests for our D-line for sure. The key is keeping Manning off the field and ball control on our part. Thats the way we are going to beat the Colts, playing smart.
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Our DL needs to make the difference. This is what they're here to do. This is why they were drafted. This is THEIR DESTINY!

If they don't get to Manning and stop the run this game cannot be won. Not many people get to Manning so it's no easy task.
Very true. Manning is the Key. Neither Wayne or Marvin can beat us if we take Peyton out of his game.

& While I do understand the threat that Wayne & Harrison bring, it's not like we haven't seen these fu@%^rs before.

If our front four can stop the run & put pressure on Manning, I have no worries about our pass defense. If our secondary can resist the urge to bite on that play action, we'll be OK.
Old 09-19-2007   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123665 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
The Colts will be a challenge for our D-backs thats for sure. Harrison/Wayne should have our best cover corners assigned to them with double coverage on Marvin Harrison. Ever since the Lee Evans thing last year I lost trust in Faggins and after last week, I'd put in Fletcher and put Faggins as Nickel.

We all know Dallas Clark needs a good coverage LB on him. (Ryans possibly) But that leaves the run game for Indy at an advantage if we do that.

Don't forget about A. Gonzalez! If the rest are covered and the team forgets about him then we're going to be in for a long day.

In a previous post I said that the Carolina game is going to be a huge test (that they overwhelmingly passed) for the OL.

This game will be where our defense really needs to step up to the task at hand with all the weapons that Indy has! Don't lay off the line 10 yards or Peyton will just light us up 5 yards at a time. I have every bit of confidence that our defense can and will step up to the challenge. Its just who's gonna step up for AJ's absence?! I mean for the time being of course.
I am expecting D to make some turnovers this week. Our smash mouth runner Dayne did ok last game against Colts and we now have Green to "quicken" the run. This could turn out to be a pretty good game. I think our ST will be the difference. Some of the injured guys may return.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

2 things stick out to me when thinking of stopping the Indy O. It's actually 2 parts to the same thing: Keep them from getting comfortable and in a rhythm.
Do this by getting pressure on Manning and knocking the receivers off their routes and messing up the timing plays. A hand in Mannings face and a good chuck at the LOS on Harrison & Wayne will be a good start.
Old 09-19-2007   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems the coaches have been reading these boards and listening to some of y'all talk about playing Mario at LDE, lol. I see him on that side quite a bit, but don't they switch him back and forth the DE spots throughout the game?

I think Mario could have a huge game if he's going against Rookie Tony Ugoh who has 2 games under his belt in the NFL...Mario has only gotten better, this could be great.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2007   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
It seems the coaches have been reading these boards and listening to some of y'all talk about playing Mario at LDE, lol. I see him on that side quite a bit, but don't they switch him back and forth the DE spots throughout the game?

I think Mario could have a huge game if he's going against Rookie Tony Ugoh who has 2 games under his belt in the NFL...Mario has only gotten better, this could be great.
Yeah, Mario's been spending some time at LDE and been looking good there. They've also been using Weaver at DT on passing situations and he's looked pretty good.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #9
Indy Skinnz
Veteran

Rep Power: 510 Indy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respectedIndy Skinnz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Very true. Manning is the Key. Neither Wayne or Marvin can beat us if we take Peyton out of his game.

& While I do understand the threat that Wayne & Harrison bring, it's not like we haven't seen these fu@%^rs before.

If our front four can stop the run & put pressure on Manning, I have no worries about our pass defense. If our secondary can resist the urge to bite on that play action, we'll be OK.
You got a lot of ifs there. I do agree that if those things you reference actually happen, the Texans have a very good chance. But the likelihood of all those things happening seem remote. Harrison, Wayne, Clark & Manning are simply too good to be locked down for any length of time. The Colts are going to move the ball and they are going to score.

To me the more relavent match up is the Texans O against the Colts D. It is clear that Schaub makes a huge difference. And to win this game, he will have to make plays because I just can't see a repeat of the running game last year.
Indy Skinnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 199795 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post
To me the more relavent match up is the Texans O against the Colts D. It is clear that Schaub makes a huge difference. And to win this game, he will have to make plays because I just can't see a repeat of the running game last year.
I don't expect us to try to do exactly the same thing we did last year but while you've upgraded your defense, Ahman is a huge upgrade from Dayne as well.

Last year, we were able to get a few stops but really the big thing was that fumble on your first offensive possession.

It's going to be interesting to see the chess match between the coaches.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Skinnz View Post
You got a lot of ifs there. I do agree that if those things you reference actually happen, the Texans have a very good chance. But the likelihood of all those things happening seem remote. Harrison, Wayne, Clark & Manning are simply too good to be locked down for any length of time. The Colts are going to move the ball and they are going to score.

If we beat you last year, basically without a QB, I think we have a better than good chance of beating you again. We're better than we were when we beat you last time. You're about the same, if not slipped a notch(from loosing so many players).

You scored 24 points on us then.

I guarantee you won't do that again.

I know it sounds like I'm talking smack... & I know I won't get much back up from some of my fellow fans here.

But WRITE IT DOWN, the Colts will not score more than 23 points on Sept 23, 2007.
Old 09-19-2007   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

You're getting bold there, TK, but I LIKE it. I think we'll really surprise the Colts with our D. I still say interrupting their timing is the biggest key with getting better CB play opposite D-Rob is the second biggest. I wouldn't count on Manning throwing to D-Rob's side enough to guarantee 2 picks, though.
Old 09-19-2007   #13
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
If we beat you last year, basically without a QB, I think we have a better than good chance of beating you again. We're better than we were when we beat you last time. You're about the same, if not slipped a notch(from loosing so many players).

You scored 24 points on us then.

I guarantee you won't do that again.

I know it sounds like I'm talking smack... & I know I won't get much back up from some of my fellow fans here.

But WRITE IT DOWN, the Colts will not score more than 23 points on Sept 23, 2007.
The bolded statement above is so indicative of delusional tendencies that I wonder if you'll even realized you lost by Monday morning.

Before your histrionics escalate to epic proportion you may want to do a little research on our defense and see if what you find substantiates your prediction.
TooManyWeapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyWeapons View Post
The bolded statement above is so indicative of delusional tendencies that I wonder if you'll even realized you lost by Monday morning.

Before your histrionics escalate to epic proportion you may want to do a little research on our defense and see if what you find substantiates your prediction.
So you're saying you're better now, than you were when we played you last??

I'm saying you were pretty dang good, couldn't have got much better(it's like adding 1 to infinity)... and you've lost some players.
Old 09-19-2007   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

what is the Colts status on the offensive line, are they all 100%? if they are the Texans are in trouble, if there is a weak component, some nagging injurys it might just be enough for the DL to exploit, giving the Texans a chance. the only way our d-backs can cover is if they don't have to. meaning extended developing routes that take 4-5 seconds. if Manning gets enough time we're in trouble its that simple.

first, however they may come out & give us a taste of our own medicine & try to run the ball down our throats. so its also imperative the Texans shutdown the run, pin their ears back & pressure Manning, throw his rythem off & hopefully some hard sacks as well.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #16
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
So you're saying you're better now, than you were when we played you last??

I'm saying you were pretty dang good, couldn't have got much better(it's like adding 1 to infinity)... and you've lost some players.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

The Colts defense is MARKEDLY improved since the last time you played us.

The offense is about the same, give or take. Ugoh is a rookie and Tarik Glenn left some pretty big shoes to fill in the O line, but he's doing well.

Dominic Rhoads has not been missed.

Every player lost on Defense has been replaced by someone in whom I already have more confidence.

But I'm not an expert or analyst or anything. All I have to go on are the guys who were around in the playoffs last year and the previous two games.
Old 09-19-2007   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

The Colts defense is MARKEDLY improved since the last time you played us.
But I'm delusional??

Old 09-19-2007   #18
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:

Well I'm going to have to take Tkyss's back on this. I think your a little guilty of your own charge. You accuse Tkyss of not knowing anything about your "improved" defense and that is probably a valid point?

So I ask you?

How much do you really know about the improved Texans? I would really like to know your take after watching the Carolina game film.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #19
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
But I'm delusional??

You have evidence to the contrary?
Old 09-19-2007   #20
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

D-Line pressure makes peyton go mad.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read