Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FB on day 1?

Grid

All Pro
What do you think of the possibility of us taking a FB, day 1 of the draft?

I was just looking at FBs coming out this year.. didnt see anything impressive.. course there could be a diamond in the rough there that could fall to the late rounds.

Anyway.. I have just been talking alot about how we need a big bruising back who can take a beating.. and while I didnt see a whole lot of options coming out as RBs.. figured maybe there was a FB out there that might fit the bill.

So.. thought id ask here, since some of yall have access to scouting reports and such that I cant see.

On day one there is probably no chance we draft a FB. Last years draft the first FB taken was in the late fifth.

I'm not sure a FB is really what we need right now. Once the Texans start playing above .500 and contending for the playoffs every season they can worry about the nit-picky spots.

well im not saying to draft it as a nit picky spot.. im saying draft a RB out of the fullback pool... since FBs have the size and durability that i have been talking about.

And if FBs are not drafted till 5th 6th and 7th.. all the more reason to consider it.

We have two excellent fullbacks right now and we don't run sets with fullbacks all the time. I see no need here whatsoever.

Well I wasnt exactly saying there was a need for a fullback.

I said, ive talked alot about us needing a big brusing back that could take the bulk of our carries.. so maybe we should look at fullbacks as a possibility since a fullback has the size that ive been talking about, and could make the transition over to RB.

SO.. im not talking about picking up a FB to play FB.. im talking about picking up a FB to play RB.. and asking if anyone here knows of any FBs in college that may be able to make that transition.

It sounds like you want a big bruising between the tackles HB. That is not a FB these days. FB's are glorified linemen that might get a carry or reception in a game. At the end of the year they will be lucky to have 100 total yards.

TheOgre said:
It sounds like you want a big bruising between the tackles HB. That is not a FB these days. FB's are glorified linemen that might get a carry or reception in a game. At the end of the year they will be lucky to have 100 total yards.

well.. i was hoping that maybe there was a FB out there that fit the "rb in disguise" discription.

Ahh well.. I guess we will just have to make due till the right RB falls into our laps. Maybe DD will be it.. but not if he keeps getting injured.

I get what you're saying now. Someone like Greg Jones or Jerome Bettis. I'm not sure if there are many FB's with the speed necessary to play RB. I'm sure there are some out there that are a little smaller but still pretty physical. I don't know if the Texans need one or not though...I guess it depends on what the problem with the running game is.

Greg Jones,Jerome Bettis, or any other guys built like Stephen Davis are feature backs, or half backs...tail backs, running backs because they have running skills and speed. Fullbacks are small Guards or TE's really. All they really do is block and hit people for the most part. The one fullback that is a decent running back is Mike Alstott, but he doesn't make an ideal feature back either. Just because you have size doesn't make you a fullback. Wells is a very large back but he hits like tinkerbell.

yah i understand that.. but I was asking on the off chance that maybe there was someone amazing worth taking on day 1.. or if not.. if there was someone worth taking a chance on on day 2.

Eric Shelton RB for Louisville is 6 ft 2 247 lbs
he is a total bruiser and a complete badass
he is averaging 6.7 yards per carry

but he is only a Jr. and im not sure how he would be projected as a prospect in the NFL, also he is absoluely no threat out of the backfield as a reciever

sounds to me like you want someone like a mike alstott

Keith Joseph, a Houston product at A&M, is over looked quite a bit, and for no good reason. He's played RB, FB, and TE there, and has the skill set for all 3 positions.

Back