Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-19-2007   #141
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyWeapons View Post
Make no mistake - the Colts offense is the reason that game was so close. I don't mean to disrespect any Titans fans (they've got it bad enough already) but it was an off day for the Colts O and that is a fact.
I'm sure the Chiefs and Panthers are saying the same thing. It's an off day by the offense. It's not like the opposition's defense had anything to do with it.

Did Peyton just make a mistake with that interception, or was he forced to get rid of the ball early to avoid a safety? Did Vinatieri just have a bad kick, or did he rush because the Titans were getting penetration? The Colts could of put the game away with a 1st down around the 2 minute mark. But Manning called 3 pass plays without a single rush to eat the clock. Did he want to shoulder the burden, or did he just not trust his line could get a push up front?

The fact is, the Colts offense has had an "off day" for about 6 consecutive AFC South contests. Averaging a very un-Indy like 19 ppg. At some point you have to ask, "Maybe these guys are onto something?" I think that something is being very physical with the Colts offense.
Old 09-19-2007   #142
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I'm sure the Chiefs and Panthers are saying the same thing. It's an off day by the offense. It's not like the opposition's defense had anything to do with it.

Did Peyton just make a mistake with that interception, or was he forced to get rid of the ball early to avoid a safety? Did Vinatieri just have a bad kick, or did he rush because the Titans were getting penetration? The Colts could of put the game away with a 1st down around the 2 minute mark. But Manning called 3 pass plays without a single rush to eat the clock. Did he want to shoulder the burden, or did he just not trust his line could get a push up front?

The fact is, the Colts offense has had an "off day" for about 6 consecutive AFC South contests. Averaging a very un-Indy like 19 ppg. At some point you have to ask, "Maybe these guys are onto something?" I think that something is being very physical with the Colts offense.
The Titans played well, sure. Their D line was giving our O line problems throughout the whole game, but during that play that resulted in an interception, a Titans defender collided with Reggie about 10 yards out during his route and he very visibly pulled up expecting a penalty call that never came. That didn't have anything to do with Peyton having to release the ball too quickly.

He (Peyton) has a ridiculously fast release anyway - he doesn't need much time. If our offensive line was as easy to pressure as you seem to suggest, I think the recent history of our team would be very different.
TooManyWeapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #143
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyWeapons View Post
Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing.
You know... I thought you really wanted to come here & talk some football, and was really feeling sorry about all the folks who have attacked you & the things you've said.... myself included.

But if you been dropping this canned crap on us as "real football talk" then I've got to say you deserve what you've been getting.

I don't know where you got this from, but it looks like some garbage a team would publish to ease any feelings a fan base may have about loosing key members of their team.

I'm insulted. I'm insulted that you have the gaul(sp) to think we may believe you replaced a guy like Cato June with a guy who is better than Cato June. Not only is he better, but he is sooooo much better, that it is apparent after two games.

Someone on this board is definitely delusional, and that somebody won't be wearing Deep Steel Blue come Sunday.

Much improved...

Didn't look much improved when Duece McCallister was running up the middle in week one. The only reason he didn't run for 150 yards was because they were playing catch up early in the game.

Didn't look much improved last week either, When Lendale (Pass the Donut) White was having the best game of his career.
Old 09-19-2007   #144
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

So, any news on AJ and if will play, probably still day to day, just thought I would see if anyone has heard anything new.
Old 09-19-2007   #145
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You know... I thought you really wanted to come here & talk some football, and was really feeling sorry about all the folks who have attacked you & the things you've said.... myself included.

But if you been dropping this canned crap on us as "real football talk" then I've got to say you deserve what you've been getting.

I don't know where you got this from, but it looks like some garbage a team would publish to ease any feelings a fan base may have about loosing key members of their team.

I'm insulted. I'm insulted that you have the gaul(sp) to think we may believe you replaced a guy like Cato June with a guy who is better than Cato June. Not only is he better, but he is sooooo much better, that it is apparent after two games.

Someone on this board is definitely delusional, and that somebody won't be wearing Deep Steel Blue come Sunday.

Much improved...

Didn't look much improved when Duece McCallister was running up the middle in week one. The only reason he didn't run for 150 yards was because they were playing catch up early in the game.

Didn't look much improved last week either, When Lendale (Pass the Donut) White was having the best game of his career.
No one is 100% immune to kool aid, my friend. Not me, and certainly not you either.

You did not sit and watch the Colts play absolutely dismal defense from week one to week 15 last year, game after game. You also did not see a number of these "unproven" starters perform very well when called upon to play in the post season last year. Had they not, our post season would have ended in game 1 against KC and the "smash em in the mouth" LJ. It certainly wouldn't have held up against Baltimore, or NE, or the dual rushing attack of the Bears in the SB.

The difference between then (reg. season D) and now is obvious enough for a grade-schooler to identify.

As for your "real football talk" vs. my "canned crap" .... baseless. You've got to do better than that if you want to to alter my perception of you as anything but an irrational Texans homer. Maybe you don't care - neither do I.

For the record:

McCallister totalled fewer than 40 rushing yards in week 1. You are nuts. Make any excuse you want - citing 38 rushing yards against the Colts as evidence that their defense is porous does nothing to bolster your credibility.

Lendale White marched down the field for a grand whopping total of 64 yards last week. Hardly a career game. He beat that by 2 yards the previous week against Jacksonville's vaunted defense.

Come on, dude.
TooManyWeapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #146
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say about all of this is that I've watched the Colts own the Saints who I am not in the least bit impressed with and beat the Titans by a couple of points. The Titans don't impress me much either.

In the meantime I've seen the Texans beat the very, very ordinary Chiefs and then win an impressive game against the Panthers who I don't know what to think about.

I can't wait for Sunday to see what happens. The Colts are the first undeniably excellent team we play this year. After the Colts game I'll know what I think about the Texans and our progress.

Very often Super Bowl teams (winners and losers both) tend to run into problems the following year. This happens a ton and I know this thought must have crossed some Colts fans minds prior to the season, particularly with the player turnover they've had. I was expecting them to struggle but I haven't seen it happen yet (unless you call a relatively ordinary effort against the Titans struggling, and I don't).

The Colts defense does not impress me much this year, thus far. Their offense is, as always a machine to be admired.

I just keep saying it over and over again. I can't wait for Sunday.
Old 09-19-2007   #147
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
So, any news on AJ and if will play, probably still day to day, just thought I would see if anyone has heard anything new.

AJ himself said in the Chronicle today that he wasn't going to play Sunday. Taking it day to day and all that stuff. Said he would be the Texans biggest cheerleader on Sunday.
Old 09-19-2007   #148
New_Texans
All Pro

Rep Power: 29 New_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respectedNew_Texans is a quality contributor and well respected

I have a feeling that in order for the Texans to win, Special Teams will have to come up big in the return game. Great Field position for the Texans and horrible position for the Colts, thats what the Texans need.

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Jones and Mathis. As you country folk say, Get r' done.
Old 09-19-2007   #149
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

deleted.
Old 09-19-2007   #150
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
Here you go, just strenghthening what has already been said.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #151
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

It' not only no , there is a high pobablity they won't have him during some of the October death march. Looking at the way the knee was twisted he was lucky.
Old 09-20-2007   #152
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

Well in the Carolina game it didn't hurt very much that their 2's and 3' s WRs got Gafney desease, the dropsys. Oh then there was that C.C. Brown Jail break with Drew Carter that he reached just in the nick of time. It was a great road victory, but kinda of follish to ignore all of the warts. Play management cost you your first down rain maker. Letting the air out of the ball @ the 11:13 mark in the third quarter damn near set up another St. Louis scenario. Defensive line played lights out. O-line played lights out. There was enough stuff on the film to give Kubes ammo for working extremely hard this week. Demmeco should be embarassed on the third Steve Smith break away form the pack TD play. And Demps shouldn't be too far behind him in the corner of the room. Weak play by them both. And now, after giving them very few live targets your expecting JJ, Walter, and Andre Davis to recover that production ? Okey Dokey. You can prety much expect Daneils to be blanketed.

I despise the prevent defense and letting the air out of the ball to protect your weaknesses. And starting it in the third quarter is like telling everyone in the locker room. " Nice lead guys, but we don't trust you. " Not a positive message to send to a young team. Sloppy coaching and tackling at the end of the carolina game. Repeat it and the Colts will blow us out of the water.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 09-20-2007 at 04:17 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #153
JamesC
Lumberjack

Send a message via Yahoo to JamesC

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Texans View Post
I have a feeling that in order for the Texans to win, Special Teams will have to come up big in the return game. Great Field position for the Texans and horrible position for the Colts, thats what the Texans need.

So, Mr. Turk, Mr. Jones and Mathis. As you country folk say, Get r' done.
I feel the same way. The Texans are gonna have to try to make plays on special teams. I'm hoping for some big hits that cause fumbles that can lead to good things like the Kevin Walter td. Any tipped passes by the secondary and Dunta and crew are gonna have to jump all over it. I liked what Mario did in week 1 and what Amobi did in week 2, now I hope they can both put it together for week 3 and give the Colts offense all they can handle and more.
JamesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 248395 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

I despise the prevent defense and letting the air out of the ball to protect your weaknesses. And starting it in the third quarter is like telling everyone in the locker room. " Nice lead guys, but we don't trust you. " Not a positive message to send to a young team. Sloppy coaching and tackling at the end of the carolina game. Repeat it and the Colts will blow us out of the water.
funny.

I thought the Colts did the same thing after they put 30 on us last September.

Besides, Ahman is not 100%, and our run game does not look like it's supposed to. What better "practice" can you have than to tell Carolina's front 7 that we're going to run the ball, and then run right at them.

Especially when our game plan this week will most likely be handing the ball to Dayne numerous times.

I understand your point, but if I were Kubiak, I'd feel much better about my punting game than I did prior to last week. And that's a good thing. I'd also have a lot of film on what my run game needs to work on.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read