Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2007   #101
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyWeapons View Post
I really have no urge to do so. This is a nice forum and I really just wanted to talk a little football, that's all.

At the same time, the "They will not disrespect us in our house" stuff seemed a tad premature and did cause a chuckle..
Premature?

Is this what you meant?

pre·ma·ture /?prim?'t???r, -'t??r, -'ty??r, 'prim??t???r or, especially Brit., ?pr?m?-, 'pr?m?-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[pree-muh-choor, -toor, -tyoor, pree-muh-choor or, especially Brit., prem-uh-, prem-uh-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. occurring, coming, or done too soon: a premature announcement.
2. mature or ripe before the proper time.

I make a impassioned comment about my team and the game this weekend and I'm premature?

Lets establish a few facts shall we?

1. This is a message board for fans to talk about guess what? The Houston Texans.
2. At no time did I direct any comment toward any Colts fan visiting here or disparage anyone on the board in a personal manner.
3. I did not make my comments on a Colts Message Board nor do I even visit such places. The Colts fans have their forums and the Texans fans have theirs.
4. Nor did I solicit comments from Colts fans regarding my comments.

Did I miss anything?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #102
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Premature?

Is this what you meant?

<snip>

Did I miss anything?
I'd say so, yes.

Quote:
1. This is a message board for fans to talk about guess what? The Houston Texans.
That's correct. I think it could be agreed by all that that is what we're both doing. What's more, as a Colts fan, discussion of the Colts re: the upcoming game is equally relevant, since it has to do with the Texans.

If you want to discuss your Texans without fans of other teams chiming in, it would probably go better for you to do so on a forum where fans of other teams aren't welcome (wherever that may be - I'm guess it's a pretty boring place if it exists at all).

I'm a member here and have the same privileges to discussion in this thread as anyone else - especially since it's about the upcoming game against the Colts.

Quote:
2. At no time did I direct any comment toward any Colts fan visiting here or disparage anyone on the board in a personal manner.
Neither have I. I'm not sure if you're making a point here, but if you are I'm afraid I'm missing it.

Quote:
3. I did not make my comments on a Colts Message Board nor do I even visit such places. The Colts fans have their forums and the Texans fans have theirs.
Segregation is boring. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of Colts homers go on and on all week long about how we will crush you, I wouldn't have joined up here.

Quote:
4. Nor did I solicit comments from Colts fans regarding my comments.
I disagree. See my above point - this is a forum to which a number of Colts fans are registered. By posting at all you've opened yourself willingly to comments from other members, be they Colts fans or not. If it's really that big of a problem for you, maybe you should put something at the end of all your messages like:
"This post is intended for fellow Texans fans only - comments or rebuttals by fans of other NFL teams are not welcomed."
If you want to talk football w/ me that's fine - that's why I'm here - but I've got to stress that trying to bandy words with me on the basis of some implied pseudo-exclusivity is a waste of both our time and is likely to gain you nothing.

Now where's that "let's have a beer" smiley? Ah, here it is...
TooManyWeapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #103
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd say so, yes.

That's correct. I think it could be agreed by all that that is what we're both doing. What's more, as a Colts fan, discussion of the Colts re: the upcoming game is equally relevant, since it has to do with the Texans.

If you want to discuss your Texans without fans of other teams chiming in, it would probably go better for you to do so on a forum where fans of other teams aren't welcome (wherever that may be - I'm guess it's a pretty boring place if it exists at all).

I'm a member here and have the same privileges to discussion in this thread as anyone else - especially since it's about the upcoming game against the Colts.

Neither have I. I'm not sure if you're making a point here, but if you are I'm afraid I'm missing it.

Segregation is boring. If I wanted to listen to a bunch of Colts homers go on and on all week long about how we will crush you, I wouldn't have joined up here.

I disagree. See my above point - this is a forum to which a number of Colts fans are registered. By posting at all you've opened yourself willingly to comments from other members, be they Colts fans or not. If it's really that big of a problem for you, maybe you should put something at the end of all your messages like:
"This post is intended for fellow Texans fans only - comments or rebuttals by fans of other NFL teams are not welcomed."
If you want to talk football w/ me that's fine - that's why I'm here - but I've got to stress that trying to bandy words with me on the basis of some implied pseudo-exclusivity is a waste of both our time and is likely to gain you nothing.

Now where's that "let's have a beer" smiley? Ah, here it is...
Oh come on. Not the dissect the post game.
Old 09-18-2007   #104
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Oh come on. Not the dissect the post game.
You're the one throwing out inane numbered lists. What is your problem with accepting point-by-point posts in turn? Can't take what you dish out?

I thought Texans fans had developed a thicker skin?

Or don't you have any argument for what I said?
Old 09-18-2007   #105
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 139057 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ever been inside the RCA dome?
*scratches head*
Ummmm yes.... and I'm really not sure why you are trying to pimp that place either. If I were you, I would start pimping your soon to be new home - Lucas Oil Stop and Lube.
Old 09-18-2007   #106
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Quote:
You're the one throwing out inane numbered lists. What is your problem with accepting point-by-point posts in turn? Can't take what you dish out?

I thought Texans fans had developed a thicker skin?

Or don't you have any argument for what I said?
You know what? My son is good at this game. I'll see if he wants to play along with you later.

You'll be gone Monday and I've got better things to do with my time.

Heck. What am I talking about? You won't even be back Sunday afternoon.
Old 09-18-2007   #107
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I majored in primitive cultures, so I know all about Colts fans.
Old 09-18-2007   #108
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
*scratches head*
Ummmm yes.... and I'm really not sure why you are trying to pimp that place either. If I were you, I would start pimping your soon to be new home - Lucas Oil Stop and Lube.
Oh God no, I'm not pimping that hole.

I merely mentioned that in response to the ludicrous rumor that the Colts pump artificial crowd noise through the PA. It's understandably loud as hell in there without such shenanigans.

Lucas Oil Stadium is coming along beautifully, though. It's a horrible name, but man that place is going to be awesome next year when it's complete.

Quote:
You know what? My son is good at this game. I'll see if he wants to play along with you later.

You'll be gone Monday and I've got better things to do with my time.

Heck. What am I talking about? You won't even be back Sunday afternoon.
You know me so well. I'm glad you're so adept at figuring people out over the course of two threads on a message board in a single afternoon. It's a testament to your no-doubt staggering intellect. If your son is as smart as you claim, he'll likely be embarrassed when he logs on here and sees this mess.
Old 09-18-2007   #109
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys, can we please get back to the thread topic? We have a rivalry/ neener-neener forum for that stuff.

TMW, I appreciate your earlier attempt to identify for us several Pony players we've never heard of who will, in your opinion, rise to fill the void left by the off-season turnstile in Indianapolis. Hard to argue that anyone would miss Jason David about right now, but are you seriously contending that Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson comprise a top backfield in the NFL? Other than hype ("long-passer's worst nightmare," Jackson's "propensity for interceptions" evidenced by his grand total of 0 this season and 2 in his whole career), is there any on-field evidence to support that?

Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling that any list of "worst nightmares" featuring Marlin Jackson probably wouldn't keep Schaub up at night. Dunta Robinson would, though. I believe he has as many INTs as your whole defense. And...Freddy Keiaho is your new star LB? I'm sure some around here are wondering, "who the ___ is Freddy Keiaho?" And before you give us the standard "Oh, you'll find out on Sunday!" reply, here's a link to the stats documenting his long career, featuring 25 whole tackles--20 all by himself!

So in a way, thanks. Wasn't so sure the Texans did have a chance without AJ, but after your introduction to those guys, I feel a lot better now.

TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #110
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Since everyone is adopting Texans I don't want it said that the Dread-Head couldn't get into the spirit of things so I too will adopt a Texan...'s Cheerleader. Preferably that redhead...whatshername?
That's right it's peanut butter jelly time! Peanut butter jelly time!" lol
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #111
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 149260 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Peanutbutter jelly! Peanutbutter jelly! Peanutbutter jelly with a baseball bat!
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #112
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile View Post
Guys, can we please get back to the thread topic? We have a rivalry/ neener-neener forum for that stuff.

TMW, I appreciate your earlier attempt to identify for us several Pony players we've never heard of who will, in your opinion, rise to fill the void left by the off-season turnstile in Indianapolis. Hard to argue that anyone would miss Jason David about right now, but are you seriously contending that Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson comprise a top backfield in the NFL? Other than hype ("long-passer's worst nightmare," Jackson's "propensity for interceptions" evidenced by his grand total of 0 this season and 2 in his whole career), is there any on-field evidence to support that?

Not trying to be rude, but I have a feeling that any list of "worst nightmares" featuring Marlin Jackson probably wouldn't keep Schaub up at night. Dunta Robinson would, though. I believe he has as many INTs as your whole defense. And...Freddy Keiaho is your new star LB? I'm sure some around here are wondering, "who the ___ is Freddy Keiaho?" And before you give us the standard "Oh, you'll find out on Sunday!" reply, here's a link to the stats documenting his long career, featuring 25 whole tackles--20 all by himself!

So in a way, thanks. Wasn't so sure the Texans did have a chance without AJ, but after your introduction to those guys, I feel a lot better now.

#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #113
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanExile View Post

Alright alright, sorry if I got a little snippy with ol' panther up there.

Some folks do rub me the wrong way, and it's not always just THEIR fault.

Your stats are sound - maybe the analysts ranking the Texans at #6 aren't the only ones with some excess zeal (Referring to myself).

However, I do believe you will be a little surprised. Keiaho is a stud and Hayden and Jackson are significantly better than David and Harper, as will become evident to you in a few short days.

But live it up now, please.
Old 09-18-2007   #114
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
However, I do believe you will be a little surprised. Keiaho is a stud and Hayden and Jackson are significantly better than David and Harper, as will become evident to you in a few short days.

But live it up now, please.
Oh, yeah, definitely, your defense is very much better now. And iirc, the Titans got off easy because you had 2 of your starting lb's out.

But... I'm going to say this and you're going to laugh but...

We have no idea how good our offense is this year. It hasn't played more that 2.5 quarters, yet. Seriously. Our QB has only thrown 5 passes in the 4th quarter this year. (And he's completed all 5 of them.)
Our best running back only has 4 attempts in the 4th quarter so far because we've stuck in our 2nd string back to save the wear and tear on Ahman. In the second quarter, when it counts, Ahman is 12 attempts for 70 yards and a 5.8 yp and 5 first downs.

The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #115
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
maybe the analysts ranking the Texans at #6 aren't the only ones with some excess zeal (Referring to myself).
Winning the Lombardi Trophy always gives you reason for zeal. We're just glad this game's no longer only a pit-stop on Indy's way to the playoffs. I think this'll be a great game, AJ or no...Schaub will definitely have to adjust if some combination of Jones/Walter/Mathis/Davis is the best group of WRs Houston can put on the field. Jones in particular is super-fast and naturally talented, from what we saw in the preseason, but he's just playing in his 3rd real game and Lane College wasn't exactly an NFL atmosphere. (Thank God it's a home game.) But the MAIN difference between winning-Texans late-'06 and winning-Texans early-'07 has everything to do with Schaub's ability to react well in bad/worsening situations, and that makes me feel so much better about this game.

(...and I shouldn't have to tell you what I think the outcome will be...
)
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #116
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow. You certainly seem sure about that.

That's cool and all... but... damn.

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night. We've heard this one before...not saying we're gonna kick Colt butt, just that this ain't your daddy's old Carr....

Ever been inside the RCA dome?

Piped-in noise... no way, man. It's a great big enclosed room full of drunken Hoosiers... how else would you expect it to sound?
I'm going to the game in Indy this year. I'm working about an hour east of Cincinnati and going to Cleveland, Tacks and Indy this year.

Last edited by DocBar; 09-18-2007 at 04:50 PM.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #117
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
...The Colts game should be the first game to really see what we have. We might not win it. The Colts are a great team. We're both better teams than we were last year. Don't expect a cakewalk.

I believe that too. Maybe it's erring on the side of caution on my part but I enjoyed the K.C. game and then told myself to wait and see what happened against Carolina before I got excited. Then we beat Carolina like a drum and now I keep telling myself to wait and see what happens when we play the Colts. I keep trying to hold off on getting excited until the "other shoe" drops.

We know what Indianapolis can do. We've seen what they're capable of. They owned us completely right up the second game of last year and for all we really know they may still own us. This game will be great for the Texans because it will show us what we have against a well known, high quality, measurable opponent.

Sunday evening we'll know exactly how excited we should be.
Old 09-18-2007   #118
Battle Red Flash
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Battle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performerBattle Red Flash is a Legendary performer
Talking Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
So do you think we still have a chance against Indy?
Yes, we have a chance.
So far, no one can run on us, and we are creating turnovers.
We need to run, run, run the ball, and hit it deep every once in awhile.
Davis, Mathis, Jacoby can get deep.
Like always against the Colts, we must play near flawless, but I believe, yes, it can be done again.
Old 09-18-2007   #119
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

"They can do all because they think they can." ~ Virgil

The team knows that they can beat Indy now. Last year was a clear signal that this is a different Texans team. I know this will be one tough game, and we will definitely be underdogs. But I still believe that we can win the game.
Old 09-18-2007   #120
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 68788 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Red Flash View Post
Yes, we have a chance.
So far, no one can run on us, and we are creating turnovers.
We need to run, run, run the ball, and hit it deep every once in awhile.
Davis, Mathis, Jacoby can get deep.
Like always against the Colts, we must play near flawless, but I believe, yes, it can be done again.
I think the key against the Colts is being able to identify when they're in their 7 man shell on defense and ramming it down their throats. Second, attacking them on the edges when Sanders is in the box. A lot of the success they had against the run in the playoffs was due to myopic offensive coaching. Teams were determined to run the ball against Indy and ignored what the Colts were doing on defense. Especially in the KC game, they just kept running right into the teeth of an 8 man front until they had 3rd and 9. My bet is Schaub will be schooled on little tells all week in order to decipher the presnap intentions of the Colts and audible appropriately... That'll be the game right there. Well, that plus whether we can make plays on defense and make their offense work and kick FGs.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read