Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-18-2007   #81
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

If there is one thing both the Saints and the Titans showed us, its that the Colts one big weakness in regards to their run defense is a big fat guy pounding it up the middle and smacking them in the mouth.

Reggie Bush looked awful
Chris Brown did terrible

Deuce looked ok and LenDale White moved the chains

So I guess we should be excited that Green is a between the tackles guy and Dayne is as fat as they come!
Old 09-18-2007   #82
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Thanks for looking it up.

What is interesting to me is how some people complained that in the preseason, Andre Johnson wasn't getting the ball enough. And then when the season started, bam.

Of course, it is easier for Jacoby Jones to get more open when AJ is also on the field with him, but it will be interesting to see if the sort of efficiency we saw with the non-AJ WRs in the preseason carries over to the regular season. Like the beginning of the Tampa Bay game.

Let's assume that the Texans are a really good team. (This isn't as much of a homer assumption as could seem--Pete Prisco's rating system gave both of the Texans wins high quality win marks). The Colts haven't played a really good team on the road yet. (Okay, you can say that the Titans are a really good team. I'm not sold on that yet. I believe that they are a quirky team that presents interesting matchup problems).

Last year, even when the Colts were going 9-0, they had a really easy early schedule, and many of the games they won were by very small margins.

I think Bob Sanders is great, and then there is Freeney, and then there is a bunch of guys who left in the offseason. The Colts defense depends on its offense to get up early and for opposing offenses to abandon the run when they get down and get one dimensional.

And to continue this discussion...

We gotta take these *******. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Personally, I think the best approach is to bust them in the mouth.
Are you related to my wife? She takes that same dang approach with me...Nice post, BTW
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #83
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You're going to show up at the game inside a float that looks like a cake and conceals the "Death Mobile" aren't you.

Dibs on the Pirate costume and cardboard sword. I'm going to climb the side of the stadium, swing down from a banner and scoop up a Texan cheerleader.

I'll have to give her back of course. The wife would not be amused but she would understand that it had to be done if we were going to pull off a real "Animal House" tribute.
Old 09-18-2007   #84
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
one big weakness in regards to their run defense is a big fat guy pounding it up the middle and smacking them in the mouth.
Haha, that's my new favorite strategy. For defense or offense...Smack 'em in the mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02

So I guess we should be excited that Green is a between the tackles guy and Dayne is as fat as they come!
I know you say that with love for the Dayne-Train.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #85
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You're going to show up at the game inside a float that looks like a cake and conceals the "Death Mobile" aren't you.

Dibs on the Pirate costume and cardboard sword. I'm going to climb the side of the stadium, swing down from a banner and scoop up a Texan cheerleader.

I'll have to give her back of course. The wife would not be amused but she would understand that it had to be done if we were going to pull off a real "Animal House" tribute.
I would so totally love to have a Texans Death Mobile. A friend of mine in college had a car that looked like the Death Mobile and it was totally sweet. Though hard to park in them skinny Reliant spaces though.

You have to go all AH when someone wonders if we are totally doomed because our grade point averages is 0.0 or we are on double secret probation or our stud Pro Bowl wide receiver has a knee injury of undetermined duration.
Old 09-18-2007   #86
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The time has come for someone to put his foot down. And that foot is me.

Signed,

Houston Defense
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #87
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Any chance of getting a horse into Dungy's or Irsay's office??? We would get double top secret probation for it, but it'd be worth it!!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-18-2007   #88
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would so totally love to have a Texans Death Mobile. A friend of mine in college had a car that looked like the Death Mobile and it was totally sweet. Though hard to park in them skinny Reliant spaces though.

You have to go all AH when someone wonders if we are totally doomed because our grade point averages is 0.0 or we are on double secret probation or our stud Pro Bowl wide receiver has a knee injury of undetermined duration.

Well that pretty much does it then. We need a "Death Mobile".

I'll see what I can dig up. I'm thinking something early 70's that's not particularly collectible and that we can weld fins and assorted junk on. Texans logos on the side as opposed to greek letters. Steel Blue instead of black (but keep the teeth on the front and the "DEATHMOBILE" on the "turret". The turret needs to be the same shape as the movie one but heavily tinted plexi glass so it's driveable. I doubt we can keep it street legal but it could be possible.

Maybe removable plexi panels. One set clear so they're safe to drive around in and the other heavily tinted to get the movie look.
Old 09-18-2007   #89
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:

Last year, even when the Colts were going 9-0, they had a really easy early schedule, and many of the games they won were by very small margins.

I think Bob Sanders is great, and then there is Freeney, and then there is a bunch of guys who left in the offseason. The Colts defense depends on its offense to get up early and for opposing offenses to abandon the run when they get down and get one dimensional.
Interesting assessment, T_C, but I think you're proliferating a common misconception about the Colts defense.

The "bunch of guys who left in the offseason" have all been replaced by bigger, faster, younger, more physical players who by all accounts (and certainly evident in the gameplay thus far) are better for our system and just plain more imposing than the players they've replaced.

Jason David and Nick Harper have been replaced by Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson - gone is the 10-15 yard cushion that was once allowed for opposing team's WRs. These guys are fast and physical - Jackson especially shows potential to become a long-passer's worst nightmare with his propensity for interceptions.

The run game against the Colts is a much more painful endeavor this year thanks to a revived linebacker corps lead by the veteran MLB Gary Brackett. Brackett is now joined by Rob Morris and the extremely hard-hitting (as in "putting RBs flat on their backs from a full-on run") Freddy Keiaho. Factor in Bob Sanders as the headhunter and the porous run defense of last year's regular season is truly a thing of the past.

It's OK though - if people are surprised by the veracity of our D, it's not a bad thing.
TooManyWeapons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #90
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Any chance of getting a horse into Dungy's or Irsay's office??? We would get double top secret probation for it, but it'd be worth it!!!

Nope .... i think Mario and Amobi make Peyton a zit .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #91
2BCF
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24608 2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected2BCF is a quality contributor and well respected

We'll be fine. Jacoby will shine.
2BCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #92
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I must admit that I am typing this with a cool-aide stained top lip, but after all of the games I have seen, there is truely something different with this team. Team is the important term there. I agree with most that AJ is the biggest threat on this team, but he is not the heart and soul of it. I'm not trying to be negitive, believe me I pass up every jersey in my closet on Sunday morning for my tattered #80. My point is that we look like a team this year. Although he is important, The team will game plan for his absence and if we are the team that everyone says than we will pull off the win. It will take about 70,000 fans on top of our players though. I sure wish I were there to do my part in disrupting Mannings audibles. The fans that showed up for the first game against Dallas showed how loud and disruptive our house can be. If our fans don't throw in the towel over AJ's absense than we can pull this off for sure. My two cents....
Old 09-18-2007   #93
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

lol the Animal House references in this thread are hilarious.

I've said since Training Camp that we would split with the Colts this year. This game is in our house. The ponies will not disrespect us in our house anymore.

Unlike the Flaming Meatballs, our QB won't run around in the pocket like his hair is on fire and crumble like a cracker on the last play of the game. Also, our team won't get punked like the Religious Dieties over in Swamp Gas Corners either.

We take this one.

The Colts will probably get us in the house of piped in crowd noise. However, they won't punk us in our backyard.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #94
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 126616 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Defense wins Championships baby. Let Johnson rest up if he needs it. As long as the Dunta can hold Marvin Harrison Mr. Manning will have to contend with the Lawfirm of Willimans, Okoye, & Ryans. This one isn't a lock without Andre, but the Texans can win without him.
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #95
GermanTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 23 GermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of FamerGermanTexan is a Hall of Famer

I think if we have a good pass rush we have a chance and against indy we have green and dayne... we have to rush a lot...
Old 09-18-2007   #96
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
lol the Animal House references in this thread are hilarious.

I've said since Training Camp that we would split with the Colts this year. This game is in our house. The ponies will not disrespect us in our house anymore.

Unlike the Flaming Meatballs, our QB won't run around in the pocket like his hair is on fire and crumble like a cracker on the last play of the game. Also, our team won't get punked like the Religious Dieties over in Swamp Gas Corners either.

We take this one.
Wow. You certainly seem sure about that.

That's cool and all... but... damn.

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night.

Quote:
The Colts will probably get us in the house of piped in crowd noise. However, they won't punk us in our backyard.
Ever been inside the RCA dome?

Piped-in noise... no way, man. It's a great big enclosed room full of drunken Hoosiers... how else would you expect it to sound?
Old 09-18-2007   #97
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyWeapons View Post
Wow. You certainly seem sure about that.

That's cool and all... but... damn.

It's gonna hurt like a mofo when you see this thread again on Sunday night.
I'll be here long after your ponies have gone home crying.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #98
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
I'll be here long after your ponies have gone home crying.
I really didn't come here with the intent to talk smack, but if you push me to it I will lay waste like a plague.
Old 09-18-2007   #99
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyWeapons View Post
I really didn't come here with the intent to talk smack, but if you push me to it I will lay waste like a plague.
There is a smack talk forum so everyone, please take any smack urges over there.
Old 09-18-2007   #100
TooManyWeapons
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
There is a smack talk forum so everyone, please take any smack urges over there.
I really have no urge to do so. This is a nice forum and I really just wanted to talk a little football, that's all.

At the same time, the "They will not disrespect us in our house" stuff seemed a tad premature and did cause a chuckle..

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read