Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2007   #41
Bohunk
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Bohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respectedBohunk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

The way to beat the Colts is to rattle Manning early. If the D can get in and keep him off stride, and we can continue our ball control offense, we have a good chance even without AJ.

Bohunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #42
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We stand a chance. We beat Indy with David freakin' Carr last year. I think we can do it again. It's a long shot to ever beat the Colts, but I believe it can happen.

Keys to victory:
Homefield crowd - Loud & Proud!
Dominant defense
Run the ball down their throat
High third down conversion percentage by the offense/Schaub
Old 09-17-2007   #43
frequentfliertx
Rookie

Rep Power: 12 frequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballotfrequentfliertx is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Smile Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

Pardon the language, but all I can say is: THIS TEAM CAN REALLY MOVE THAT GODDAMN BALL! I believe we have arrived!
frequentfliertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #44
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

No question we have a chance, @ more sacks and all kinds of pressure on the QB in Carolina, And we just ran the kitties in the ground, Steve Smith was the only 1 I saw that did not look worn out. We have a hell of a chance and we will take this game. 3 and 0 baby
Old 09-17-2007   #45
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe this is dumb, but assuming AJ doesn't play, I have two very different ideas:

1) Starting WRs = Jacoby Jones and -----------> Jerome Mathis. The idea here is that speed will keep the safeties back, and we run A LOT with Green. If they don't stay back, BURN THEM.

2) Starting TE = BOTH Daniels and Putzier. More blockers to deal with all those defenders in the box, and it gives Schaub TWO TEs to throw to. I'm showing my stupidity here; but, do we still have Bruener? He would be great on obvious run plays.

We CAN do this. Last year we had AJ, but we didn't have Schaub or Green, and our D keeps getting better.

HJam72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #46
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 264718 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Maybe this is dumb, but assuming AJ doesn't play, I have two very different ideas:

1) Starting WRs = Jacoby Jones and -----------> Jerome Mathis. The idea here is that speed will keep the safeties back, and we run A LOT with Green. If they don't stay back, BURN THEM.

2) Starting TE = BOTH Daniels and Putzier. More blockers to deal with all those defenders in the box, and it gives Schaub TWO TEs to throw to. I'm showing my stupidity here; but, do we still have Bruener? He would be great on obvious run plays.

We CAN do this. Last year we had AJ, but we didn't have Schaub or Green, and our D keeps getting better.
Bruener is still with us and still an important part of the offense. He had the flu last week, though.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #47
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 64727 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected

The chances become very small. We are definately the underdog with AJ. Without our best offensive weapon, it becomes scary. Their defense is playing well.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2007   #48
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a chance, but I think it's a slim one. If we can run the ball the way we did last year against the Colts and keep a ball control offense, I think it can be done. Walter and Jacoby have to step up their games though. I'd expect Owen Daniels to be thrown to a lot as well.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #49
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

We are going to need Jones to step up and maybe Ahman Green will have to go to his pro-bowl form. If those two can step up we can win.

Also we should be getting Travis Johnson, and if Amobi plays like he did last week...and Travis continues to show up with Mario...we may see another blowout here at reliant.

Its a lot of ifs though.

IF Jacoby steps up
IF Green returns to probowl form(he has just been good enough as of late)
IF Amobi has two good games in a row

I think we can still win though.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #50
AZwhoopr
Rookie

Would love to have AJ for this big game, but defense is the bigger concern this week. I think our offense can still be effective vs. an average colts D.
Old 09-17-2007   #51
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 15 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

The only chance we have is to be physical with the Colts. Pound the defense with the run, using a controlled passing game, and beat the hell out of them on D.

The big key is our front 4. If they can pressure Manning, we can force him to dump the ball off. That's when you tee off on them!

It's what the Titans and Jaguars have done for years, and what the Texans did last December.

It's the only chance the Texans have.
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #52
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum View Post
I'm afraid to ask if all this talk regarding Pearl Harbor is a joke or not.
Right? I'm a little sick to my stomach reading some of these post. . .If you all are going to be able to remember football stats like the back of your hand (this is not directed towards TC and the Animal House quote), you better be able to remember that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941, as President Roosevelt stated, "a date which will live in infamy".

i know, I know,

Last edited by Texans Pride; 09-17-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #53
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Check out this game cast:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

Andre Johnson had 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TDs.

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Would I like AJ in the game?

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

I laughed great line Steph. Classic.

Oh my god people go rent a movie now and again.

"hey, was it over when the German's bombed Pearl Harbor?"...to wit Otter turns to Boon and says..."German's?"...and Boon says to Otter..."forget it...he's on a role".
Old 09-17-2007   #54
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?[/quote]

My favorite part was when the boy was looking at the playboy and the girl flew through the window and the boy said ... thank you God .

I think that because it's a home game the crowd needs to be in their seats at kickoff and scream like a certain QB grabbing the Nair instead of the shampoo .

I think Jacoby and Mathis need to have big returns on special teams .

If the above happens and we're a + 3 in turnovers ... we'll win .

If they do win without AJ ... I will then predict an 11-5 season .

Hello TC ... glad your back .
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #55
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

The Colts beat down a finesse team on both sides of the ball the first game of the season, that will not happen to us. They were in a divisional dog fight at Tennessee and barely made it out alive, welcome to the AFC South for it is about to rise.

Injuries are something all teams have to deal with and is why the preseason does matter, especially for the bottom 38 players in respect to salary. I am confident someone will step up and am anxious to see who will be out for the Colts. I expect Boulware to make his first true impact on our season by getting in Manning's face.

The Texans are not scared, we are hot, we are executing and most importantly we believe. I like our chances with or without AJ.
Old 09-17-2007   #56
daedge
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 daedge could be on the next Madden coverdaedge could be on the next Madden coverdaedge could be on the next Madden coverdaedge could be on the next Madden coverdaedge could be on the next Madden coverdaedge could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
I think so. Remember the key to beating the Colts is to get the lead and control the clock (running the ball). I would expect to see more of a runniong attack and for Jacoby to put some numbers up. Also, look for Owen to have a good game.

No lead is safe against the Colts, just ask the Patriots
daedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #57
shawn76ers
Texan Genius

the most important player next week will be Green.
the key to beat the colts is to run Green 20 - 30 times next week with long conservative drives & some play action to owens. Consume that clock, thats the key to beating the colts.
I dont think this will be a shoot-out, im thinking it will be a very low scoring game, at least, thats the way we game planed last year against them.
shawn76ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #58
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 336338 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

It's all about the game plan.

In that context,

Loss of AJ vs. upgrade of Schaub and Green

vs.

AJ with Carr and Dayne.

If AJ has to miss a game, this isn't a bad one and Schaub's presence more than makes up for his absence over last year's squad that won.
Old 09-17-2007   #59
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251959 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just shocked that so many people missed the Animal House reference. I thought that was mandatory viewing or something.
Old 09-17-2007   #60
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

for some reason, I can picture Jerome Mathis lined up in the slot on the right side, catching the ball on a quick slant, and taking it the distance. With AJ out, I can see the Colts not respecting our passing game and getting burnt by Davis, Jones, and Mathis, with Daniels and Walters moving the chains.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read