Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-17-2007   #21
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do we stand a chance against Colts without AJ?

If the defense shows up, we win.

Schaub will find other targets. As others have said, we have good recieving backs and tight ends. It's amazing how much improved the OL is (with the same folks as last year) when we have a good QB. It's time for JJ to step up and make a statement.

I'm good for Sunday.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #22
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 630 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes we can. We beat them last year with David, for goodness sakes.

I think the team is so pumped up that JJ and Davis will step up big time. With AJ injured, the Colts won't be expecting big things from us - Surprise! I expect JJ to run his little heart out...after catching the ball.
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #23
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
Yeah, but that's not a fair assesment. Johnson caught what, 7 passes yesterday? It's because he was available to use. I'm not knocking the guy, but it's not like we threw it to him 25 times. I think having him on our team is great, but the guys will step up and we will change our game plan accordingly. I have more confidence in the coaching staff than I ever had in the previous regime. Your cashing in your chips before the cards are even dealt. Relax, don't panic.
Agreed J.

If your best player in a particular position is available, then it would be foolish NOT to use him. We have others, although perhaps not as talented, ready to step up if need be. Like Herv said, time for them to etch their mark in the wall.

Old 09-17-2007   #24
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the notion that this is the time for our other WR's step it up. This is their opportunity to tell the coaches that they are the real deal and need to be involved more in the future. This is critical for them.

I don't want to sound like a hater or a downer b/c I'm far from it. I don't want this to come out across the wrong way or in a way that I'm blaming y'all either. But to me I don't think people are giving AJ enough credit (which is a ridiculous stmt within itself! lol). He is easily the best player on our team (not just offense) and is so vital to our successes.

He makes clutch catch after clutch catch. His prescence is HUGE to get those 1st downs....that quick slant for a gain here and gain there or TD here...etc. Two of those/ game extends our drive another 3 plays at minimum...and makes the LB's take notice...that helps our RB's more.

Owen Daniels can only do so much. The Colts will do exactly what they need to do to win and it will be NO CONTEST. They will stack the box up as if they are playing LT and the chargers where he's done squat these two games. They will do everything they can to shut down our Rushing game early and throughout the game. They will make us beat them by passing the ball and thats not how you beat the colts. They will take away our Running game and make JJ, OD, KW make play after play. I don't doubt we make a few big plays b/c they are attacking Green/Leach/Dayne but they will make us do that on a consistent basis throughout 4 quarters which is a lot to ask for.

Ontop of that (us not having the TOP in our favour b/c our Run game isn't working) their offense will be on the field the same amount as our offense. Our defense would have to have the game of the year (which is possible) for us to have some sort of a chance. Not only do they have to shut down Addai (we're ranked top 5 in rush D? i think) but Harrison and Wayne are the best WR tandem in the league and dunta can only cover one. Our LB's would have to have a day of stopping Addai and covering the short passes at the same time while our DL pass rush the entire time to try and rattle manning.

I hope we can pull this out b/c it will be tough. No matter who's playing for us...if we win this weekend, Houston is going to going nuts!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

AJ is a monster.

If he's open, then you throw to him.

If he's not open, then you still think twice before NOT throwing to him and some times, you throw to him anyway.

If he's not there... then you start throwing to the other open people and stop looking at AJ to see if he's open.

This is going to be a big test for us. Hopefully, our receivers step up and make the catches.

But we beat the Colts last year by concentrating on the run, ball control, and winning the turnover battle and scoring points off the turnovers. Without AJ, we lose a huge chunk of big play potential. But that's big play potential that we didn't have last year.

We can beat the Colts without AJ. It's just going to be hard. But it's going to be hard even with AJ.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.

Last edited by The Pencil Neck; 09-17-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Adding an f to off. And spelling GOING right.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #26
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
But we beat the Colts last year by concentrating on the run, ball control, and winning the turnover battle and scoring points off the turnovers. Without AJ, we lose a huge chunk of big play potential. But that's big play potential that we didn't have last year.
Good points, and we beat the Colts last year handicapped in our QB position.
Old 09-17-2007   #27
shinerbock_girl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 shinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVPshinerbock_girl was voted MVP
Send a message via MSN to shinerbock_girl Send a message via Yahoo to shinerbock_girl

I feel we are better then the Titans and the Colts almost lost to them, i have confidence we can take them....We did it before, and I want Dayne to do what he did last year against them, have a break out game...
shinerbock_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-17-2007   #28
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Check out this game cast:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_i...006&week=REG16

Texans 27, Colts 24

Andre Johnson had 4 receptions for 48 yards and 0 TDs.

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Would I like AJ in the game?

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Old 09-17-2007   #29
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I think even with AJ on the field against the Colts our best chance of winning the game is by running the ball. That's how we beat the Colts last year and that's the recipe for winning against them imo. Us running the ball well and stopping their running game should be the key to victory. Ofcourse you can't replace a player like Andre Johnson but it's a chance for guys like Kevin Walter, Jacoby Jones, Owen Daniels, and etc. to step up and have a good game.
Old 09-17-2007   #30
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Texans 27, Colts 24

This was after the Texans did operation shutdown of the the passing attack. They were abused by the Patriots, and Carr had his bell rung badly in the Raiders game (not officially because nobody wants to admit concussions) and had no viable backup, so they played dink and dunk and run the ball all day.

Of course.

Does his presence on the field make it more difficult for defenders even if he doesn't catch the ball?

Sure it does.

I believe it was the Japanese that bombed Pearl Harbor.

I think the Texans are playing as a team more so than anytime in the past. They can beat Indy, if everyone plays the way they are capable of. We took them by surprise last year and they will not overlook us this. But I still think we can win.
Old 09-17-2007   #31
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grams View Post
no way.
Old 09-17-2007   #32
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfuldragon View Post
no way.
I wasn't quite born at that time, but I think I did read it somewhere. I know it was in a movie, but you never know with Hollywood, if it is really true or not.
Old 09-17-2007   #33
gwallaia

Rep Power: 63494 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ha ha ha.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #34
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

Texans 27, Colts 24

Of course.

Sure it does.

I know what you mean TC.. I think AJ closes our offense up.. AJ helps keep the teams honest about us running the ball. With or without AJ catching it..It makes a safety take notice, with him out.. we need the others to step up and help keep our offense open
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #35
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, did anyone stay awake in history class?
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #36
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan View Post
Wow, did anyone stay awake in history class?
Do they still teach History?
Old 09-17-2007   #37
Texan Asylum
Christian

I'm afraid to ask if all this talk regarding Pearl Harbor is a joke or not.
Old 09-17-2007   #38
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum View Post
I'm afraid to ask if all this talk regarding Pearl Harbor is a joke or not.
Well, I'm sure it started out that way.

EDIT: But I think some people don't know Steph very well. Not that I actually know Step but... there you go.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #39
TxDavid
Go Coogs!

Rep Power: 1256 TxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respectedTxDavid is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I believe TC was referencing "Animal House" - specifically Belushi's "when the going gets tough" speech.

At any rate, we're gonna keep the ball on the ground most of this game. AJ out will hurt, yes, but we can still win the game. Our RB & TE will tear it up as usual, maybe even more than usual. And JJ will step up and make his mark. This is a team sport - and the Glue Factory is open.

TxDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #40
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

the main factor for success this week is our running game. We need to run all over them like we did last year to control clock and score points. And we need owen daniels to step up big as well.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read