Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

University of Utah

TEXANS84

Staff member
Anybody think that if Utah goes undefeated they will land the Fiesta bowl? Currently they are #7 in the BCS...they need to be in the top 6 to guarantee a lock in a BCS Bowl.

All I know is that I'm tired of seeing the same old teams play (ie-Miami, Florida, Tennessee, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, etc...) and I want to see what this high-powered offense can do against a quality top 10 big name school. I think with a quarterback like Alex Smith who leads in passing and is a Heisman candidate can take them over the top.

What do you guys think?

I have a few thoughts about Utah.

a) Too bad A & M can't play them now. It would be a different game.

b) I only saw that one game against A & M who put up no resistance to them at all but yea they look like a really good team.

c) Would be good for their program if they got a nice bowl bid. It is nice to see different teams participating.

TEXANS84 said:
Anybody think that if Utah goes undefeated they will land the Fiesta bowl? Currently they are #7 in the BCS...they need to be in the top 6 to guarantee a lock in a BCS Bowl.

All I know is that I'm tired of seeing the same old teams play (ie-Miami, Florida, Tennessee, USC, Oklahoma, Texas, etc...) and I want to see what this high-powered offense can do against a quality top 10 big name school. I think with a quarterback like Alex Smith who leads in passing and is a Heisman candidate can take them over the top.

What do you guys think?

Let's see how Utah's season plays out....if they're still undefeated at the end....then by all means give them a BCS Bowl berth.

I made a point to stay uplate last Sat. to see Utah. Game started here at 10:30 EST. Yes, Utah belongs. Their offence can score on anybody. But since alot of money is on the line, politics will kill them. Big 12, Big 10, SEC, whoever swing a lot of weight. What is it, 12M for a major bowl for the school?

Im not sure they deserve a bowl bid. The teams they have played against so far are a combined 28 and 44.

Now im not saying that all teams play hard opponents. But at least 1 big game would help your cause.

You want to play crappy teams? Fine, but dont expect a bowl game in the place of a team who played, OU, or Auburn, or USC, or FSU.

Now aTm is a good team, but they were playing in Utah, and it was the first game of the season.

Utah deserves to be in the top 20. But bowl game? come on..

jgl35 said:
What is it, 12M for a major bowl for the school?

The money is generally divided up between each team in the conference. So if Texas goes to a bowl that pays 5 million, the Big 12 gets that money and splits it up between schools in the conference.

DC_ROCK said:
Now im not saying that all teams play hard opponents. But at least 1 big game would help your cause.

You want to play crappy teams? Fine, but dont expect a bowl game in the place of a team who played, OU, or Auburn, or USC, or FSU.

Now aTm is a good team, but they were playing in Utah, and it was the first game of the season.

Utah opened the season against a hard opponent. They beat aTm badly even if it was the first game of the season. It was the first game for both teams so they both are going to have their problems. Also, aTm lost to Baylor of all schools...Utah hasn't lost a game yet...and definitely not to a terrible team like the Aggies did. Besides...all you can do is play who is on your schedule and in your conference.

I wish the NCAA would cut out the computer rankings. Jeff Sagarin kills me, and my Georgia Bulldogs. In Sagarins computer poll he has both A&M and Oklahoma State ranked ahead of Georgia. Georgia has one loss and A&M and Oklahoma State have each lost three times. Why do we involve these damn computers in this?

When you also think about it...Utah has not lost a game since first part of LAST season.
This season they beat:
Texas A&M 41-21
at Arizona 23-6
at Utah St. 48-6
Air Force 49-35
at New Mexico 28-7
North Carolina 48-46 (the team that took out #3 Miami)
UNLV 63-28
at San Diego St. 51-28
Colorado St. 63-31

If you look at their last 5 games, they are averaging 56.25 points per game....pretty impressive.

For those that feel Utah should be in a BCS game (if they win out), don't you feel the same for Boise State?

I don't feel Utah deserves to be in a BCS game because of their undefeated record. If you give their schedule to the other teams in the top 15, they'd all be undefeated as well.

But I don't like the guarantees that are tied in either. Just imagine:

As bad as the Big12 North has been this year, they'll have one team that will be one win away (winning the Big12 Championship game) from playing in a BCS bowl game.

The ACC (no team in the top ten) and Big East (one team in the top 10...barely) will each have a representative.

These are the bowl matchups I'd like to see (and think would be fair):

Orange:
USC vs Auburn

Rose:
Wisconsin vs Cal

Fiesta:
Oklahoma vs Utah

Sugar:
Texas vs Georgia

It will be a travesty if OU loses to the Big 12 North division again. It will prevent OU from going to the BCS Championship and it will keep Texas from a BCS game.

I wouldn't mind seeing Utah (high powered offense) going against Wisconsin (elite defense) in a bowl game.

TEXANS84 said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Utah (high powered offense) going against Wisconsin (elite defense) in a bowl game.

Defense wins championships. I dont think I would waste a team like Wisconsin to see how Utah would do. I want to see:

Orange: USC vs. Oklahoma (Who is #1? Lets find out.)

Sugar: Auburn vs. Wisconsin (Wow, could be the best bowl game this year.)

Fiesta: Texas vs. California (Best run game vs. complete team.)

Rose: Michigan vs. Georgia (Two strong teams, who have something to prove.)

I have no idea how the rankings go, but this, im my eyes, would make for good games.

Rose Bowl would have Pac-10 & Big 10 champs.....no mater what, unless one of those is playing in the Championship game. It was a deal made when the BCS started, in order to get the Rose Bowl to commit.

Boise St. is not ranked high enough, therefore they do not get a shot at the BCS. Utah is highly ranked, and should get the BCS bid. If they do not, I will never watch a College Football game on TV EVER!!

Remember when people were saying that Oregon St did not deserve a BCS Bowl game? They ended up playing Notre Dame and beat the HOLY Crud out of them! I think it was in 2000/2001.

A playoff is the only thing that makes sense to most fans...not the "5th" game scenario, because that just proves the BCS system is flawed. A true 16 team playoff system, 8 automatic bids (Conf champs) and 8 "At-large" bids. It works very well on the other Division levels, and would work on the D1-A level. Although "cash is king" and therefore it will never happen. All arguements against a playoff are ridiculous!

Boise St. is not ranked high enough, therefore they do not get a shot at the BCS. Utah is highly ranked, and should get the BCS bid. If they do not, I will never watch a College Football game on TV EVER!!

With Michigan and Florida State both losing yesterday, if Texas loses to A&M next week, Boise St. would move up to 6th (they'll be 7th tomorrow when the new rankings come out) and would get an invite.

Here's how I think it shapes up...

Orange:
USC (BCS #1) vs OU (BCS #2)
Sugar - Miami (ACC Champ) vs Auburn (SEC Champ)
Rose - Cal (BCS at large #1) vs Michigan (Big-10 Champ)
Fiesta - Utah (BCS at large #2) vs Boston College (Big East Champ)

Huge said:
Fiesta - Utah (BCS at large #2) vs Boston College (Big East Champ)
I can see the Fiesta Bowl officials crying in their Tostitos. And those things are too salty, already.

A playoff is the only thing that makes sense to most fans...not the "5th" game scenario, because that just proves the BCS system is flawed. A true 16 team playoff system, 8 automatic bids (Conf champs) and 8 "At-large" bids. It works very well on the other Division levels, and would work on the D1-A level. Although "cash is king" and therefore it will never happen. All arguements against a playoff are ridiculous!

i have a couple of questions, how do you pick the eight at-large bids? who are the eight confrences, the big 6, but who else the mountain west, mac, wac, who? how do you take into account conferences that play championship games?

TexansCanes said:
i have a couple of questions, how do you pick the eight at-large bids? who are the eight confrences, the big 6, but who else the mountain west, mac, wac, who? how do you take into account conferences that play championship games?

Honestly I would do a 16 team with each conference getting a bid..4 or 5 spots are left for the at large bids. Most years North Texas will be number 16 with little chance to beat number one, but remember they have the leading rusher in college football and anything could happen.

Too many teams (117) in Div-1A. Some most certainly belong. Others most certainly do not. Cut down on the number of teams. Cut down on the number of conferences and we'll go from there.

Utah has/had the 99th, or there abouts, easiest schedule in all of D-1 this year. They are going to go to a BCS game, and unless they get BC, they are going to get killed.

And don't forget teh MWAC champion has to go to the Liberty Bowl, they signed a contract with them several years ago. EDIT: Looks like teh Liberty Bowl Commision is going to give up their bid.

TexasCanes, I would take the "Big 6" conf champs plus the MAC and C-USA winners. My reasoning for that is that it eliminates any controversy from the "mid-majors" because those two conferences have Championship games (C-USA will starting in 2005 when they expand to 12 teams).

The 8 At-large will be based on a ranking system of some sort. There might be some controversy, but with 8 tie-ins (2 mid-majors represented) the arguing would be nothing significant. Boise St would be in this year as an at-large (using the BCS Ranking as the tie-in factor for the At-Large). Now, North Texas would probably have a gripe, but when you play Idaho, ULaLa, Troy State, etc. ALL of which were D1-AA schools about 10-20 years ago (as well as UNT), you cannot gripe much. However, IF you go undefeated, then why not.

My system is not perfect, and the key flaw is that MONEY would not be the deciding factor, so my system would never be realistic! A man can dream, right!?

HOTH, you might want to check that figure "99th easiest".

These are the SOS ranks of the BCS top ten:

USC - 18th
OU - 14th
Auburn - 29th
Cal - 35th
Texas - 13th
Utah - 78th
Boise State - 82nd
Louisville - 81st
Miami - 9th
Georgia - 11th

Huge said:
These are the SOS ranks of the BCS top ten:

USC - 18th
OU - 14th
Auburn - 29th
Cal - 35th
Texas - 13th
Utah - 78th
Boise State - 82nd
Louisville - 81st
Miami - 9th
Georgia - 11th

The 99th figure came to me second-hand and about two weeks ago, but still 78th or 99th they are still no where near the temas from the magor confrences in terms of the talent they have faces and/or beaten.

And I find the fact that Texas has a harder schedule than everybody but Georgia and Miami.

Back