Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How did our safeties look?

gtexan02

Working?
I watched the game at a sports bar (one of the drawbacks of moving away from Houston), and as the Texans were on the smallest TV in the smallest corner, had a tough time analyzing the game as much as I would have liked.

I noticed both Brown and Hutchins, and both Boulware and Demps (on the rarer occassions that they played) make some great tackles. Brown looked to make a few ok plays against the run.

But my main question is, how did they look during pass coverage?

I saw Brown deflect a pass that hit someone right in the hands. The guy had Brown beat, but Brown was playing the receiver the whole way. Luckily, the ball was slightly underthrown and Brown had quick enough reflexes to just swat it right out of his hands. I don't know if that was good coverage or not (it did seem like the guy had Brown beat), but I loved Brown's reaction.

Other than that play, I dont really remember them. I was sort of surprised they werent shifted towards Faggins side of the field to help with Steve Smith early in the game. Why wasn't there someone to help him after the fumble recovery gave the Panthers a short field and everyone knew the ball was going to Smith?

And on that play where Smith tipped the ball off Faggins and then caught it, why wasn't there anyone else around? I sort of thought that if the ball was tipped that high, someone should have at least made an attempt to knock Smith out or knock the ball away, but it looked like he was all alone in the end zone.

A guy like Faggins is a great cover corner is he doesnt have a long field to work with. I feel like he gets caught out of position a little too often to be really dominant. Other than the 2 balls to Steve, there was that one play where Delhomme overthrew the receiver. Faggins was at least 5 yards behind him.

Having good safety play could potentially elimiate those

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
CC looked like his usual self, got lucky & batted an underthrown ball by delhomme away from a WIDE open Drew Carter. Didn't hear or see too much from Von Hutchins (don't know if that is good or bad) except when he misplayed the TE on a baseline pass.

i saw boulware in at special teams a little & Demps caused the Deshaun Foster fumble on what turned out to be a not so good tackle.... he just lucked up. Overall, we still need better play.

ccdude730

Veteran
CC looked like his usual self, got lucky & batted an underthrown ball by delhomme away from a WIDE open Drew Carter. Didn't hear or see too much from Von Hutchins, which i don't know if that's good or bad.

i saw boulware in at special teams a little & Demps caused a fumble on what was really not a good tackle.... he just lucked up. Overall, we still need better play.
hutchins led the game with 11 tackles...

and when you cause a FF, i dont see that as being a lucky play. its usually due to a good hit or poor carrying

If you cannot really remeber what a secondary guy did in pass coverage situations it tends to be a good thing.
While that means they did not make some kind of highlight play it also means that they were probably doing the job that they were supposed to be doing in the game which in my opinion is far more important than any highlight. :twocents:

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
hutchins led the game with 11 tackles...

and when you cause a FF, i dont see that as being a lucky play. its usually due to a good hit or poor carrying
Did you actually see the play? Demps pretty much wiffed. Had it been a better back, that likely wouldn't have happened & would've gone down as a broken tackle. Not bagging on him b/c he just signed not to long ago & had been out of football for a little, but it is what it is - a lucky play.