Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-16-2007   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80316 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Being conservative in the 4th

OK, believe me, this was the best the Texans have ever looked in a game and props go out to Kubes, staff, and players. My only concern today was how conservative we got in the 4th with the lead. I am good with keeping it on the ground with the lead late in the game but I would have like to have seen the Texans at least try to pick up those 3rd downs in the 4th. I really believe the Texans could have put the game completely away a lot earlier than they did if they would have tried. Hopefully as the team builds confidence they will go for the juggler in the future.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #2
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Re: Being conservative in the 4th

I think the injuries to AJ and Green caused the playcalling to go into conservative mode. Didn't want to risk any serious injuries.
Old 09-16-2007   #3
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 81572 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I was expecting a drive like the one against KC to eat up a lot of clock but it didn't happen. I guess the defense finally made enough adjustments to stop our ground game with Dayne in.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #4
Spike
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 Spike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of FamerSpike is a Hall of Famer

I disagree. We were up by three scores going into the 4th. You play to win the game and keep your players healthy. It doesn't make for great football to watch, but there is no reason to risk a silly turnover that shifts momentum and/or results in a quick score.
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we could have been a little more aggressive than we were in the 4th quarter. I didn't want them to throw the ball every time, but I thought running the ball every single time wasn't the way to do it. I would have liked to seen them throw the ball on 3rd down some, especially when it was obvious Ron Dayne wasn't getting it done. So basically, I would have preferred Kubiak to be "conservative" rather than "ultra-conservative". If that makes any sense. Just a minor issue though.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #6
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I think we could have been a little more aggressive than we were in the 4th quarter. I didn't want them to throw the ball every time, but I thought running the ball every single time wasn't the way to do it. I would have liked to seen them throw the ball on 3rd down some, especially when it was obvious Ron Dayne wasn't getting it done. So basically, I would have preferred Kubiak to be "conservative" rather than "ultra-conservative". If that makes any sense. Just a minor issue though.
As long as we're arguing over the best way to close out the game, I'm happy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #7
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
As long as we're arguing over the best way to close out the game, I'm happy.
ha ha good point.

p.s. Rivers is looking horrible in the game right now. I hope they play like this when we play them.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-16-2007   #8
BeerTastesLikeVictory
Custom Title

Rep Power: 31195 BeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respectedBeerTastesLikeVictory is a quality contributor and well respected

Also with Carolina using and losing their timeouts in pretty quick fashion it was simply playing kill the clock.

*Sig by False Start*
"If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
-David Daye
BeerTastesLikeVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #9
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Carolina really couldn't stop us until the end and that's cause we really weren't trying very hard.

The first drive was stopped because of a bad spot by the refs and another drive we had a fumble.

Schaub's underthrown ball scared me a bit though cause it was a lot like the one he threw that was intercepted in the KC game.

CC getting beat, but making a big play made me nervous as well, but overal very happy with what I saw from both sides.

I heard an interview with Delhomme and he wasn't giving much credit to our D though. He was basically saying their offense killed themselves. I beg to differ. Our D was all over the place.
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #10
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

we just got lazy

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #11
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsonFan View Post
we just got lazy
Dude, whats with your sig? This isn't the board for VY lovers

Thanks to Premier
Old 09-16-2007   #12
CLTEXAN_FAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 CLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
I disagree. We were up by three scores going into the 4th. You play to win the game and keep your players healthy. It doesn't make for great football to watch, but there is no reason to risk a silly turnover that shifts momentum and/or results in a quick score.

Im with you spike, this isnt college where they have to get BCS points. It doesnt matter if you win by one of thirty. A win is a win, run the ball down there throats to burn the clock and go home with the victory.
CLTEXAN_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #13
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed.

The intention was to chew the clock like the Chief's drive, however it wasn't working nearly as well. I would have liked to have seen a few short screen passes on 3rd down.

However, we won, this is the best feeling I have had as a Texans fan, so in Kubiak and company I trust!

GO TEXANS!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #14
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Maybe some of y'all haven't been watching the Texans as long as I have. 2-0 is 2-0. If they want to hand it off to Dayne and let him eat up the clock, fine. It's worked before and it continues to work. I'll take the win any way the Texans can give it to me.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #15
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted to see some passes to try to get the first down on those 3rd down plays but then if there would have been a turnover, the fans would be complaining now.

I rather have us complaining about being too cautious and getting the win.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #16
gjmac2
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 gjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden covergjmac2 could be on the next Madden cover

This is not ultra-conservative football.

This is what winning football teams in the NFL do. Especially, when up by 20 points in the 4th quarter.

Unbelievable! We are 2-0, and people are complaining about the play calling.

I guess some people have to find something to complain about, so why not the play calling?
gjmac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #17
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just happy we got to go into the conservative, run out the clock play calling. Have we ever gotten to do that before?
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007   #18
CLTEXAN_FAN
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 CLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVPCLTEXAN_FAN was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
I'm just happy we got to go into the conservative, run out the clock play calling. Have we ever gotten to do that before?

Weve done it once before, I cant quite remember when I think we were playing Kansas City.

Yeah we were playing KC we ended up winning 20-3. If I can remember correctly.
Old 09-16-2007   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
Yes, when Dom Capers was coach. Almost every single game...ugh.

Thanks to Premier
Old 09-16-2007   #20
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjmac2 View Post
This is not ultra-conservative football.

This is what winning football teams in the NFL do. Especially, when up by 20 points in the 4th quarter.

Unbelievable! We are 2-0, and people are complaining about the play calling.

I guess some people have to find something to complain about, so why not the play calling?
I don't think anyone is complaining, just stating a different approach. Had we sustained one of those drives, maybe Steve Smith doesn't break off a 75-yard run. This is the NFL and the difference between wins and losses can change just as quickly as the bounce of the football. I don't want to give teams the opportunity to get the ball back and score points. I'd rather have a 3rd and 5, run a short screen and pick up the first down. . .Sustain the drive, and keep the clock running.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read