Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2007   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4378 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default CBS sports article on Mario...

Saying the Texans took the right player in the draft.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10349731

Its good that he's eating crow now but this line made me laugh. This is when he's talking about how Charlie Casserly made the pick,"Notice the word was. He no longer has that position, and some believe it's because he passed on running back Reggie Bush and quarterback Vince Young, the hometown hero, to take defensive end Mario Williams."

So some believe we fired Casserly because he took Mario? I thought it was for his horrible track record with free agents and draft picks during his tenure here? Plus, im not quite sure if Casserly had very much control on who we drafted last year, I believe he was a lame duck GM prior to the draft.
Old 09-13-2007   #2
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: CBS sports article on Mario...

I thought Mario being picked was more of a group decision than a Casserly decision.

Whatever it is, it is looking good for us right now. Can't emphasize that enough. Bush may do good for his team and VY for his, but the important thing for the Texans is for Mario to produce for us and not compare him to a RB and QB because thats never going to work out.

Like how the Media bandwagon is jumping on now, they need to understand that the Kubiak era is in play...SUPERBOWLS BABY!
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #3
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

While reading the article, it felt like Casserly was lobbying for a new GM job somewhere. Good luck to him and whatever team takes him on. Or not.
Old 09-14-2007   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
they need to understand that the Kubiak era is in play...SUPERBOWLS BABY!
I dunno, but I'd guess a good strategy would be to concentrate on getting into the playoffs first and then worry about SBs. Afterall, the best team didn't win the SB the last couple years, but rather the team that was on a hot streak and got the breaks going down to the wire. But first you gotta get into the playoffs.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #5
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1623 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
While reading the article, it felt like Casserly was lobbying for a new GM job somewhere. Good luck to him and whatever team takes him on. Or not.
I hope it's Tennessee.

monkey
HuttoKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahmic223 View Post
I thought Mario being picked was more of a group decision than a Casserly decision.

Whatever it is, it is looking good for us right now. Can't emphasize that enough. Bush may do good for his team and VY for his, but the important thing for the Texans is for Mario to produce for us and not compare him to a RB and QB because thats never going to work out.

Like how the Media bandwagon is jumping on now, they need to understand that the Kubiak era is in play...SUPERBOWLS BABY!
that was my understanding also. I believe but do not know that Kubiak got one look at VY's passing and said no way Jose. And then there was the infamous telephone call from the Bush folks and the house stroy breaking.

Quote:
People love offensive highlights, which Bush and Young provided in college. They don't get excited for defense. "We took a lot of abuse for that pick," Casserly said.

That might change now. And here's why: The Texans indeed picked the right player. And I'm not just saying that because Casserly is now writing for this website or works as an insider for The NFL Today on CBS.

I've been saying that for the past year, after initially saying Bush should've been the choice.

And yet there will still be folks who huant these boards that will vote against Mario in their cbs poll. You can book that. The fact ramians Vincent still can't pass and Bush needs a front line back to support him.

Never under estimate ESPN mind think.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9408807

Mario may not be the AFC player every week, but soon we will all realize including Prisco, that Mario is one of those special players who elevates everone else's game around him. He can only get better. He hasn't scratched the celling yet.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 09-14-2007 at 12:34 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #7
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I think you're always tied to the picks you make," Casserly said. "That means all of them. Not just Mario, but all of them."
Interesting...dude has a lot more misses than hits, but I guess I have to give it to him for fessing up. We've only got a handful of players on the roster from five years of Casserly drafts.
Old 09-14-2007   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
I hope it's Tennessee.
Mike Reinfeldt is doing just fine...... LMAO!!
Old 09-14-2007   #9
Hookem Horns
The Bill Payer

Rep Power: 52985 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

This article lost all credibility here ...

Quote:
Notice the word was. He no longer has that position, and some believe it's because he passed on running back Reggie Bush and quarterback Vince Young, the hometown hero, to take defensive end Mario Williams.
It was already made known that Casserly was out the door BEFORE the draft and that he would be leaving right after. That is why most people felt Casserly had little to nothing to do with the 2006 draft. Bob had already fired him but was nice enough to keep him around until after the draft to help him save some face.

I remember Casserly drooling all over Reggie Bush and making asenine comments like "we already have our guy at QB". I am convinced that Charlie would have drafted Reggie Bust no matter what and we would be looking real bad right now. The only consolation would be that the rest of the media and many fans were duped by Reggie Bust also, so the Texans wouldn't look so bad for having drafted him. However on the field would be different story.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read