Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2007   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Panther News

News that might influence the game ( per www.kffl.com/hotw/ )

Quote:

Panthers | Grigsby may get increased playing time
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:16:32 -0700

Carolina Panthers DL Otis Grigsby may receive more playing time Week 2, if DL Stanley McClover (groin) is not able to play.

Panthers | McClover misses practice Thursday
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:15:22 -0700

Carolina Panthers DL Stanley McClover (groin) did not participate in practice Thursday, Sept. 13. McClover may have suffered a setback because he practiced in a limited basis Wednesday, Sept. 12.

Panthers | Salley misses practice Thursday
Thu, 13 Sep 2007 12:10:05 -0700

Carolina Panthers SS Nate Salley (knee) did not participate in practice Thursday, Sept. 13.

Panthers | Fauria to backup
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:23:45 -0700

Carolina Panthers TE Christian Fauria will be the primary backup at tight end.

Panthers | King to remain the starter
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:20:28 -0700

Carolina Panthers TE Jeff King will continue to be the team's starting tight end.

Panthers | McClover limited during practice Wednesday
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:16:57 -0700

Carolina Panthers DL Stanley McClover (groin) was limited during practice Wednesday, Sept. 12.

Panthers | Salley misses practice Wednesday
Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:12:41 -0700

Carolina Panthers SS Nate Salley (knee) did not participate in practice Wednesday, Sept. 12.
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #2
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Panther News

Considering we can't cover anyone at TE, it's a good thing they have noone starting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #3
Jackofalltrades
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Considering we can't cover anyone at TE, it's a good thing they have noone starting there.
No one starting there? We have Jeff King, a guy who's looked VERY good in preseason and in last weeks game. He won't break off anything big, but he's a possession type guy that doesn't drop anything.

McClover- Young guy that came out of college too early(as a sophomore) and is still raw, but very talented. Grigsby had a very impressive game last week and surpassed about everyone's expectations.

Salley- We were all doubting him, now we have McDaniel and Cooper...not worried about either of them. I would just assume IR Salley.

I don't see any of these as being significant.
Jackofalltrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofalltrades View Post
No one starting there? We have Jeff King, a guy who's looked VERY good in preseason and in last weeks game. He won't break off anything big, but he's a possession type guy that doesn't drop anything.

McClover- Young guy that came out of college too early(as a sophomore) and is still raw, but very talented. Grigsby had a very impressive game last week and surpassed about everyone's expectations.

Salley- We were all doubting him, now we have McDaniel and Cooper...not worried about either of them. I would just assume IR Salley.

I don't see any of these as being significant.

Jeff Kent, McLovin, John Salley... do any of these guys play in the NFL or does Carolina make up injury reports similar to the Pats?
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #5
Jackofalltrades
Rookie

What?
Old 09-13-2007   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofalltrades View Post

I was going to post something similiar about King. Especailly, those fantasy guys needing a decent back-up or bye weeker, early reports on King are that he is starting quality in the league.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #7
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

I think holding Tony Gonzalez to 28 yards receiving is pretty good TE coverage...
Old 09-14-2007   #8
Jackofalltrades
Rookie

Holding Gonzo is good, but looking at the Cheifs offense as a whole puts it into perspective.
Old 09-14-2007   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep seeing this and I'll be the first one to say that I believe strongly in taking week 1 results with a grain of salt. Great teams get their heads handed to them in week 1 sometimes and bad teams look very good. It's just hard to figure out which way (up or down) a team is going in the first real game of the season.

Having said that I have to ask you what you would say in the purely hypothetical situation where the Panthers end up losing to the Texans in a similar fashion as the Chiefs. I'm not predicting anything or saying that's going to happen. I'm just saying that if the Texans beat the Panthers whether it's convincing or by a FG then whose previous opponent puts things in perspective? By my estimation the Rams have been in decline for some time now (much like KC) and I think their win/loss record over the past 4 seasons will bear that out.

Yes, the Texans posted an impressive win over a team that most people agree is in decline. You might very well discover in a few weeks that the Panthers did the exact same thing.
Old 09-14-2007   #10
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I keep seeing this and I'll be the first one to say that I believe strongly in taking week 1 results with a grain of salt.
Definitely, but interesting article: 1-0 v. 0-1

This was a chart we never measured on before as well: Big Plays
Old 09-14-2007   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting stuff infantrycak, I've never seen that website before but I'll be pouring over it today. Obviously the majority of good teams win their games and opening day is no different. I was more concerned with things that stood out in my memory like Texans over Dallas in 2002 or Texans over Miami in 2003, or Buffalo killing New England 31-0 when they met in their opener in 2003 and then went 6-10 while the Patriots went on the another Super Bowl win.

I get the point though. More often than not winning means you're headed in the right direction.

I love that Big Play index and hope we can add to that. I think he's on to something there.
Old 09-14-2007   #12
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I get the point though. More often than not winning means you're headed in the right direction.
I'd like to see a narrower version. First, eliminate the obvious good team on good team games like NO playing the Colts and Bears playing San Diego. Somebody has to lose and those were scheduled week 1 to make things exciting. Then eliminate the predictable blow-out games--throw it out if a team is favored by some number, say 6 or more. Bring it in to a study of how relatively closely matched teams fair in their openers vs. the remainder of the season.
Old 09-14-2007   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 122497 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
I think holding Tony Gonzalez to 28 yards receiving is pretty good TE coverage...
Did we hold him to 28 yards or did the incompetence on Offense hold him to 28 yards. In our short history, we have never been able to cover a TE. Could we have figured it out? Maybe. My money would be more on their Offense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Did we hold him to 28 yards or did the incompetence on Offense hold him to 28 yards. In our short history, we have never been able to cover a TE. Could we have figured it out? Maybe. My money would be more on their Offense though.

All I know is that Gonzo, God love him, didn't put us into the record books in a negative light. He's still on the hunt for his TE TD record. We're allready wallowing in enough records. Our LBs are not all pro, but they are more athletic than last years group. We'll see this week if that was an anomoly against K.C. or we got ourselves a trend this.

They did a good job of the "Big Plays" point. I'll take pass plays + fifteen and runs over twelve. Big Plays prety much puts a lazar beam on the quality of teams in terms of team offense and team defense. If it happens week after week it's not luck.

We'll see which side of the isle we our sitting on this week. Are we contenders or pretenders ? Did we get a bunch of lucky bounces or did we create circumstances which alowed us to make plays ?

Go on the road and upset a good team, that would be prety solid. Might take another six big paly effort.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 09-14-2007 at 11:03 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #15
Jackofalltrades
Rookie

Quote:
Yes, the Texans posted an impressive win over a team that most people agree is in decline. You might very well discover in a few weeks that the Panthers did the exact same thing.
Yes, I am completely willing to concede that, however, the Rams were one of the top offenses last year (when we shut them out) and added more talent this year in Bennett and McMichaels. I'm not worried out our D, it's the offense that needed the most attention.
Old 09-14-2007   #16
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

More injuries to add... safety Deke Cooper and defensive end Mike Rucker

http://www.charlotte.com/panthers/story/277738.html
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #17
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was more concerned with things that stood out in my memory like Texans over Dallas in 2002 or Texans over Miami in 2003, or Buffalo killing New England 31-0 when they met in their opener in 2003 and then went 6-10 while the Patriots went on the another Super Bowl win.
Maybe that's when Belichick started cheating! LOL!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007   #18
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Panthers | Cooper questionable for Week 2
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:48:08 -0700

Carolina Panthers S Deke Cooper (thigh) is questionable for the team's Week 2 game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panthers | McClover doubtful for Week 2
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:47:43 -0700

Carolina Panthers DE Stanley McClover (thigh) is doubtful for the team's Week 2 game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panthers | Salley out for Week 2
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:46:24 -0700

Carolina Panthers S Nate Salley (knee) is out for the team's Week 2 game.
per www.kffl.com/hotw/
Errant Hothy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007   #19
Jackofalltrades
Rookie

I expect Salley to be IR'ed soon, I don't think he's starter material anyway, he won't be missed.

McClover is a beast, but not a starter either. Grigsby had a hell of a game last week and will fill in nicely.

Cooper might worry me a little, but we picked up another safety a couple of weeks ago. None of our safeties are very good in coverage, so I consider them pretty interchangable.

There aren't any injuries that worry me.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read