Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-10-2004   #41
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Didn't Hollings have a 20-something TD early in the year? Was that on a reception?
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #42
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Also,

I think Travis Henry has a fumble problem.
Old 11-10-2004   #43
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
Id rather get me one really good, big RB that doesnt hardly ever get injured.

I love DD.. I think he COULD be our every down back (when he isnt injured).. but that is the rub.. he keeps getting injured.. i just dont know that he can handle the beating that comes with being the RB in our system.
Staying healthy is why every one is saying Davis is some version committee/3rd down back. He always has something, does not look like he can the pounding week in week out.

For whoever said the 10 yard thing is on the OL, I disagree. The first 5 to 7 yards is what an OL can get you just by blocking. After that its primarily on the talents of the RB. The good RBs beat DBs and LBs in space, by running through, around, or by the defender.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #44
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I can' believe all the Hollings support over Davis considering Hollings hasn't done much by even a back ups standards. I would like to see the remaining of the season for Davis before I write him off. His receiving yards do indicate he is a 3rd down back though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #45
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

We definitely need a durable, every down, every week, productive, consistent back....but who doesn't. IMO, we need to draft a back....Cadillac Williams or Cedric Benson would be fantastic! Who knows if those guys will be around though for when we go to pick. I seriously think we are an HB away from being considered a playoff team year after year.
Old 11-10-2004   #46
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cedric is a big bang it in there back and all, but I think he is a bit slow for the NFL. You can get away with being a tad slow in college, but the NFL will make him look like he is running with hip boots on IMO.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #47
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7857 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. He looked pretty fast this last game. He does fumble quite a bit though.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-10-2004   #48
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
You can never have enough quality RB's. Look at Minnesota, they have 4 on thier roster that could start for alot of teams and all have had significant time because of injuries.

Yeah but maybe its just Minnesotas big GOOD offensive line that makes it seem like all their running backs are good !!! I mean look at portis this year he is a good back ,,,but only as good as the guys blocking for him !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #49
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Benson is a lot faster this season. He lost some weight and it shows. I think he would be a good addition to the team.
Old 11-10-2004   #50
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Yeah i like Benson, and really still like Davis ! But a lot of people say Benson will not be a good addition because he basically has the same features as Davis ! I think Benson is a little faster though,,,just hope we wont have another Ricky williams on our hands
Old 11-10-2004   #51
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

this is a what have you done for me lately league...you gotta realize that...and the runningback is most times the first position to get this...he did great his rookie year...this year he's flat out stunk it up...avg. 2.8 yds a carry that's pathetic...fumbling about as much as he is scoring that's sad...he's lost a step if you ask me...with the possible FA at the runningback position...i can tell you that indy will keep james and continue to let their defense rot away...seattle will keep alexander...out of henry, rudi, jordon, and davis...i would take henry...but i'm not saying that's the best choice for us...the best choice for us is the draft ronnie brown out of auburn...flat out in my mind he is the best runningback in the nation...if you think davis is a franchise runningback please take a step back...take a deep breathe and look at the position from a non-texan fan's point of view...granted i want to see him get back to his old self and make me eat my words...i really do...as a fan i want to see him succeed...but realistically the texans need to draft an-every down back who can stay healthy throughout the entire season

remember that before this season started the one worry on everyones mind was can davis make it through the season...that question has been answered with a huge no
Old 11-10-2004   #52
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 58383 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont think fans want to get rid of him. But as for him being the feature back, I dont think so. Draft a RB with the 1st or 2nd pick, depending on where Brown is expected to go, jk. And let him learn for the year, while we fight over who should be the RB. Then he can come in his second year and run. I think the rookie could actually take the RB spot from DD, and Hollings next year. The only thing I have confidence in our O doing, is passing.
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #53
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
How about when James skips camp and trains by himself down in Miami. There is something to be said for training with your teammates, instead of hanging out in Miami with your college buddies.
Oh yeah, training with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Andre Johnson (he went back to Miami to train this year and look what he is doing), Clinton Portis, Bubba Franks, Phillip Buhcanon, Willis McGahee, Jerome McDougle, Bryant McKenzie, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Jeremey Shockey, Dan Morgan and Mike Rumph wont help him at all...

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #54
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
I would not give up on DD so quick! I think we really should fix our O-line before we even THINK of getting rid of DD!

Agreed !! Lets put some of the blame on the O-Line they havent exactly given him many holes to work with (which would make his yards per carry go down) Once the Oline establishes itself Davis will establish hiself AGAIN !!!!
Old 11-10-2004   #55
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3791 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I don't see Henry going for a 1st round pick, but maybe a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Didn't Dillion go for a 2nd or 3rd Round pick?
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #56
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Oh yeah, training with Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Andre Johnson (he went back to Miami to train this year and look what he is doing), Clinton Portis, Bubba Franks, Phillip Buhcanon, Willis McGahee, Jerome McDougle, Bryant McKenzie, Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Jeremey Shockey, Dan Morgan and Mike Rumph wont help him at all...
Did Andre skip a mandatory mini-camp? Did he refuse to let team doctors examine an injury? Did he breach his contract? Please enlighten me.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...olts_james_ap/
Old 11-10-2004   #57
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
Did Andre skip a mandatory mini-camp? Did he refuse to let team doctors examine an injury? Did he breach his contract? Please enlighten me.
Remember that the NFL is a busniess and to get what you want a player may need to go to the extreme. Skipping mandatory camps happen all the time around the league and I bet that he was welcomed back with open arms when he returned. I have never heard one of the Colts players say something negative about Edge. Plus, we will give him a new contract so there wont be a contract problem.

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #58
georgewashington
Veteran

I think that if you look at the RB situation, it cant be argued that DD will become an all-pro in the future. He just doesnt have the tools. However, he was effective last year because he had some better holes than this year. He hasnt really put any great ankle breaking moves on anyone, nor has he been Bus like and run over that many people. He is a good quality third down back, just like he was his whole college career. The team needs a better run game, and its hard to say how to do that. Clearly the Oline needs to be helped, but that is easier to do after the first round because they generally arent the prized players (exceptions are Gallery and company). The team needs to decide if they want another high paid standout on offense to go with johnson and carr, or if they want to add someone to the defense thats a high profile play maker. Personally I think they should be mainly focused on either Dline or DB with the first pick, and then look for a RB in the second round, because there is always quality left after the first round at that position. THey could also look in the second and third for the Oline they need to improve. I really think the next draft and FA period will be what makes this team a serious playoff contender or not.

Everyone can argue who the texans would ideally get, james or alexander or whoever, but the real question is still what does the team need most and at what price.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004   #59
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3366 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
From the Colts MB, "It really was blown out of proportion by the media. James was not just working out in Florida, he was rehabbing the knee. His doctor was in Miami as well as all his rehab. So rather than, report to mini camps and stand on the sidelines doing nothing, he wanted to stay in Miami and continue his rehab treatments/workouts. He had the blessings of the Colts Organizations. The media blew it up as some sort of disgruntlement. Notice this year, with no rehab, he reported right on time and participated just like everyone else."
Old 11-10-2004   #60
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
From the Colts MB, "It really was blown out of proportion by the media. James was not just working out in Florida, he was rehabbing the knee. His doctor was in Miami as well as all his rehab. So rather than, report to mini camps and stand on the sidelines doing nothing, he wanted to stay in Miami and continue his rehab treatments/workouts. He had the blessings of the Colts Organizations. The media blew it up as some sort of disgruntlement. Notice this year, with no rehab, he reported right on time and participated just like everyone else."
Blessing of the Colts organization? I guess the fan who posted this was not aware that the Colts front office publicly said he was in breach of contract. I realize that the NFL is a business, but don't call a guy a team player because he skips mandatory camp, breaches his contract, and delays team doctors from looking at his injury because he thinks it will hurt his value in the market.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read