Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-13-2007   #1
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Mario "shh'ing crowd"

OK I just have to say this because it kinda bugs me. This season Mario seems to continue to put his finger to his mouth after making a big play as if to say "shh". I know he's doing it because of all the flack he's taken in the media and on message boards, but not all of us Texans fans have been bashing him, and I must say it kinda feels like a slap in the face to those of us who have just sat back and hoped he developed into his "potential". I didn't have a white jersey to wear for the game on Sunday so I bought two. A Ryans one and a Williams one. I had faith he'd step up.

I guess my point is it just feels "wrong" when he's "shh'ing" his home crowd. That something you're supposed to do when you make a big play in a road game. Granted, if him feeling like he needs to shut up his critics is his motivating factor, then by all means keep "shh'ing" us. I'm just saying as a fan of the team, being told by my own team's player to "shh" when he makes a play just feels foreign. Maybe I'm too old fashioned....ha ha

I know it's not a big deal and I'm mainly starting this thread to get a dialog going, but anyone else feel a little uneasy when he "shh's" us?

-Twitch
Twitch-Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #2
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario "shh'ing crowd"

I've seen a lot of players make this gesture, not just Mario and not just Texan players.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #3
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 154446 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch-Houston View Post
OK I just have to say this because it kinda bugs me. This season Mario seems to continue to put his finger to his mouth after making a big play as if to say "shh". I know he's doing it because of all the flack he's taken in the media and on message boards, but not all of us Texans fans have been bashing him, and I must say it kinda feels like a slap in the face to those of us who have just sat back and hoped he developed into his "potential". I didn't have a white jersey to wear for the game on Sunday so I bought two. A Ryans one and a Williams one. I had faith he'd step up.

I guess my point is it just feels "wrong" when he's "shh'ing" his home crowd. That something you're supposed to do when you make a big play in a road game. Granted, if him feeling like he needs to shut up his critics is his motivating factor, then by all means keep "shh'ing" us. I'm just saying as a fan of the team, being told by my own team's player to "shh" when he makes a play just feels foreign. Maybe I'm too old fashioned....ha ha

I know it's not a big deal and I'm mainly starting this thread to get a dialog going, but anyone else feel a little uneasy when he "shh's" us?

-Twitch

I guess if he sshhh 's the crowd 25 times it's ok . If he only does it 5 times ... well he needs to stop .
Old 09-13-2007   #4
Exithios
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Exithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVPExithios was voted MVP

If the dude makes plays, disrupts the offense, and scores TD's on defense... He can put his finger anywhere he wants.
Exithios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't he do it towards the opponent's bench? I think it's his way of dealing with the negative attention, and if it makes him play like Sunday, then I'm all for it.
Old 09-13-2007   #6
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

If the shoe fits, smell it.

Shhhhhhhh!
Old 09-13-2007   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is great. If he is shhhing (is that a word?) the other team, cool; if the fans so what? He took our crap (justified or not) I can handle it. Just hope he gets to do regularly.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2007   #8
real

Quote:

-Twitch
Mario isn't holding up a sign that says "Twitch-Houston.....Shhhhhh....."

I don't even think Mario is directing it towards me...or even the fans in general...

I think it's more towards those who called him a bust from day 1, and said it was a mistake to pick him....
Old 09-13-2007   #9
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

I actually think it's pretty tight.

It reminds me of that scene in Mr. 3000 where Bernie Mac's sitting at home eating dinner listening to all the ESPN/Fox sports pundits poking fun at his comeback on various cut away shots to the TV. The camera is doing a 360 pan shot around him simultaneously & not once does he look up at the TV.... he just continues to eat & takes it all in as if to use it as motivation.

Maybe mario had a similar experience this offseason/preseason.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #10
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 290 Twitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respectedTwitch-Houston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Doesn't he do it towards the opponent's bench? I think it's his way of dealing with the negative attention, and if it makes him play like Sunday, then I'm all for it.
Ahhh I hadn't noticed if it was always directed towards the other bench. The person I go to the game with has season tickets and they are behind the visitor's bench. He may well be doing it to the opposing team. Haven't though of it. I was so focused on the fact that he's doing it to his critics I didn't think of the other angle. (insert dunce cap emoticon here)

I apologize for starting this thread. I'm not thinking too clearly, been a stressful week.

Ok I feel better now. "Shh" away!!!
Old 09-13-2007   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

I have no problem with him doing the 'shhhh' when he makes a play. He has gotten a lot of guff from a lot of us fans, national and local media, and I bet a LOAD from people his is competing against. It at least shows me that he cares what people think of him and that he needs to make plays to validate his selection and/or contract $$.

I hope he can get past that but he can only do that once him making plays becomes the norm and not a rarity. Here is to hoping that he continues to make plays and like a previous poster said 'he can do whatever he wants with his finger.'
Old 09-13-2007   #12
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

This is what I always thought. I always thought it was more or less him sort of taunting the defense and saying "shhh...it's ok...I'm here to nail you to the ground. Get used to it".
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #13
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

-Twitch
I do get a sense of what you are saying. Although the 'in your face' part of me loves him showing them up, I'm beginning to think that enough's enough. The first or second time was adequate in my opinion. To continue would just be too pompous...in my opinion. His actions on the field will be MORE than enough to 'shhh' the critics.

Old 09-13-2007   #14
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
i think you're looking for something to complain about now that mario is putting up numbers...they should have a number for "amount of o'line pushed through"....yea...his aoopt is off the charts.

so to you i say: sssshhh!!!

kind of a hype if you ask me...
Not complaining at all.

I was watching a highlight a minute ago, saw Mario do it in the highlight and figured I'd say something. That's what I get for posting without thinking. I hadn't taken the angle that he may be doing it to the opposing bench.

Player's usually do it in a road game to opposing teams' fans. That was basically my whole point. It just looked strange at a home game.
Old 09-13-2007   #15
Twitch-Houston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ3 View Post
so...forgive me if it seemed like you were complaining...because you kind of were.
Yea I re-read the initial post and it does read a little "whiny". Didn't intend it to. Didn't word it properly. Whole point was the "shh'ing" home crowd looked weird thing. Should have said that and left it at that.

Regardless, the thread is active so it sparked conversation at least. Seems that the board doesn't know how to act when the Texans win cause when they lose, the board lights up for sure...ha ha

Oh well, as long has he keeps playing like Sunday, he can direct his "shh'ing" directly at me for all I care.

-Twitch
Old 09-13-2007   #16
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected

I doubt it's for Texans fans. It's for the people who gave him a bunch of crap last season after he busted his butt on a bad foot all year for his team. It's for those who called him a bust the night before the draft.

Keep on Mario. I hope you give yourself PLENTY of opportunities to hush the critics.

Old 09-13-2007   #17
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

For the sake of playing along with this thread, I'd like to see him do this at home and the "shhhh" on the road:
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-13-2007   #18
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I like it alot better than the jump shot move
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #19
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

No offense but i love how finicky some fans are. If he does nothing he has no fire, no drive! If a guys makes play he's showboating and needs to show some class.

If the Shh signs gets more sacks, disruptive pressure on a QB, and a fumble recovery for a TD. Like another poster said he can do whatever he wants with his finger(s).
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #20
Noblesse Oblige
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Noblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNoblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I think you're reading too much into it. I think he just wants to use that as his celebration. The way I read it is that he's pulling like an Elmer Fudd, "Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting QBs."

I like it, but I do sort of wish he'd do the Mario dance from that old TV show. Take one step, and then again, come on it's time to go, do the Mario. Swing your arms from side to side...."

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read