Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 09-12-2007   #1
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Stunting?

I'll post in the NFL forum since this can be generalized to any team, not just our defensive line. My question is simple. I've noticed the word 'stunting' being used when one is talking about a defensive lineman.

What exactly is stunting when it's applied to a football player?

As far as I'm concerned, the picture that I'm painting in my head is that stunting is pulling acrobatic stunts such as flips and whatnot. I don't see how that can be applied to a defensive lineman. How does one stunt to move past an offensive lineman?

Sorry if my question is so remedial but it's been eating away at me for the last couple of weeks. Bring me up to par, folks! Maybe include a youtube example of a stunt? Of course, to go along with an explaination.
Old 09-12-2007   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stunting?

I've got no videos for you, mostly because I'm lazy, but stunting is when two-three defensive linemen run a set play basicly. We will use the example of just two. The first linemen, we will use the two DT's for this example, the LDT, will crash down to the man directly over the RDT. The RDT will then go behind that downblock, usually using a rip move or a variation on the offensive lineman that was just over the LDT. Basicly, the RDT is hoping to catch the vacated offensive lineman off-balance or off-guard, and same with the LDT when he downblocks.
Old 09-12-2007   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

This is going to be overly simplistic but think of it as one defensive lineman picking off the blockers of another lineman allowing him to run free to the QB.

Let's say the DE takes an inside move toward the QB, the tackle and guard go to block him as the DT takes on the center. Then the DT stops and runs behind the DE and loops around trying to get a free run at the QB as the center gets hung up in the scrum with the DE, the guard, and the tackle. In a really good line, the tackle might try to disengage from the DE and hand him off to the guard and center and then pick up that looping DT.

Make sense?
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #4
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 63721 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
This is going to be overly simplistic but think of it as one defensive lineman picking off the blockers of another lineman allowing him to run free to the QB.

Let's say the DE takes an inside move toward the QB, the tackle and guard go to block him as the DT takes on the center. Then the DT stops and runs behind the DE and loops around trying to get a free run at the QB as the center gets hung up in the scrum with the DE, the guard, and the tackle. In a really good line, the tackle might try to disengage from the DE and hand him off to the guard and center and then pick up that looping DT.

Make sense?
It sure does. That's a pretty good explaination.

Folks, I'd still like a visual explaination. youtube anyone? It doesn't have to be a Texans player. I'd just like a very good example of a stunt so I know exactly what to be watching for this Sunday at Third Base.
Old 09-12-2007   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Another text description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_(football)

Go here:
http://www.nfl.com/videos

Select Highlights, Week 1, KC @ Hou. Then go to the 2:26 mark in the video.

On the left hand side of the line, we've got Mario and Maddox. They run a stunt. Mario drives into the tackle. Maddox moves into the guard and then stops, steps back, and runs around the end of the line behind and around Mario. Huard has to move up to keep from getting killed by Maddox and moves right into Mario's arms.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Another text description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stunt_(football)

Go here:
http://www.nfl.com/videos

Select Highlights, Week 1, KC @ Hou. Then go to the 2:26 mark in the video.

On the left hand side of the line, we've got Mario and Maddox. They run a stunt. Mario drives into the tackle. Maddox moves into the guard and then stops, steps back, and runs around the end of the line behind and around Mario. Huard has to move up to keep from getting killed by Maddox and moves right into Mario's arms.
I see it as clear as a bell! Wonderful! Thank you so much! Now I know EXACTLY what to look for from now on. I'm a more knowledgeable fan because of your efforts now.

Rep your way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read