Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2007   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Second look at the KC game

I watched the Short Cut production from the Superfan package and it was missing the first seven minutes of the second quarter so I am missing some film. I will be recording the full game broadcast moving forward.

I basically watched the DL, ST, a little of the secondary and the OL

Special Teams
Not overly excited except for Turk. He adds a huge component that has never been there before. Kick coverage was fair at best. Mathis needs to grow a pair or Marciano needs to get him out of there as I fear he will get injured as he is providing no value. Moreover, Bennett beat him down the sidelines on Punt coverage with 1:1 blocking. Granted Mathis had a little extra room to cover, but worth noting. Props go to Kris Brown for a nice tackle after Mathis whiffed.

DL
Outside of Mario's gaudy stats, specifically the 3rd quarter, there is still the evident lack of instinct and technique. He did have some QB hurries but these are still predicated on a bull rush. As we play against quality teams he will be exposed at times. His first sack was terrific as he was engaged by 3 OLMen from KC, which looked like a stunt with Kalu. Kalu came around the outside and corralled the QB in to Mario. Kalu was fantastic - great motor, low center of gravity, no wasted motions and attacked seemingly at the right angles. His "Karate Kalu" sack appeared to be a stunt where he came from the left side and went around the other DT and DE. A stunt I saw with Mario and TJ looked painfully slow. Amobi did look tired at times and believe the offsides call was because of it in the 3rd quarter. Amobi did have a nice spin out as the direction of a play reversed (showing vision and dexterity). He dropped back in coverage once in a two minute drill. Amobi also had two nice chips on Mario's return for TD. Much like Mario we will see flashes, but I think Amobi is more of a football player at this point - age, putting on the right weight and conditioning at this level are the issues. TJ's interception was terrific and his rah-rah style was evident and maybe even catchy for others on the field. I liked it when Mario got in Gonzalez's ear hole after his offensive pass interference. Weaver looked slow at times, I hope this is a conditioning issue because outside of him being a great guy I have not seen any value here since we signed him.

Secondary
We brought some hits - Hutchins and Fletcher both had hits that led to turn overs. Faggins played better, but the competition concerns me for an honest eval. Fletcher whiffed on a tackle on LJ in space. CC Brown needs to learn one skill to excel at or forget about starting in this league. Dunta came back on the field to watch over Simmons when he was down and then transported to the cart - that showed me something.

Last edited by Kaiser Toro; 09-11-2007 at 11:15 AM.
Kaiser Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Second look at the KC game

OL
McKinney on 1:1 blocking is an absolute liability. When he has help he is fine, but three times he got blown up on different downs and in different situations (these were not blitz situations). Pitts may have had his worst game since his rookie year - his pulls were off as he missed his guy on one (bad angle) and on the other was called for holding. Pitts chipped on two of McKinney's blow ups, which came right after a Pitts' hold. All in all our OL wore down the KC DL in the fourth, which was reminiscient of the Indy game, consequently, I feel an identity beginning to form. I would be remiss not to add Leach and Dayne to that identity as well. Owen Daniels pulled on one play and whiffed on his block, otherwsie Green may have taken it to the house.
Old 09-11-2007   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Outside of Mario's gaudy stats, specifically the 3rd quarter, there is still the evident lack of instinct and technique. He did have some QB hurries but these are still predicated on a bull rush.
Just let us know when he passes the toro bust line there torro. The fact of the matter is as of today, he has more Td's than Reggie Bush. and he's tied with Saint Vincent. Get over it. Mario is all over the feild and made plays all game long from his DE position. Wanna say K.C's oline sucks fine. the guy is a beast starting to emegre. Won't happen every game. Won't be spectacular plays every series. But it should be obvios by now, he is a player. And the more experence he gains the more difficult it will be for the other clubs to deal with. Let the water walkers go. They did the correct thing in the '06 draft.
Old 09-11-2007   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Just let us know when he passes the toro bust line there torro. The fact of the matter is as of today, he has more Td's than Reggie Bush. and he's tied with Saint Vincent. Get over it. Mario is all over the feild and made plays all game long from his DE position. Wanna say K.C's oline sucks fine. the guy is a beast starting to emegre. Won't happen evry game. Won't be spectacular plays every sereis. But it should be obvios by now, he is a player and the more experence he gains the more difficult it will be for the other clubs to deal with. Let the water walkers go. They did the correct thing in the '06 draft.
You obviously live on another planet or read every ninth word I post on this board.
Old 09-11-2007   #5
real

Lol
Old 09-11-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Well at least i was thoughtful enough to resond to your drivel. That's something.
Old 09-11-2007   #7
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just let us know when he passes the toro bust line there torro. The fact of the matter is as of today, he has more Td's than Reggie Bush. and he's tied with Saint Vincent. Get over it. Mario is all over the feild and made plays all game long from his DE position. Wanna say K.C's oline sucks fine. the guy is a beast starting to emegre. Won't happen every game. Won't be spectacular plays every series. But it should be obvios by now, he is a player. And the more experence he gains the more difficult it will be for the other clubs to deal with. Let the water walkers go. They did the correct thing in the '06 draft.
Get over it? Why don't you get over it Pete...go drink another bloody mary. This forum is here for critical commentary and breaking down the game. Some people may have an opinion that you don't share. Seems to me the only person that needs to get over themselves is you.

I thought Mario had some moments but I agree that he was wooden out there far too much....also, you are the only one who keeps bringing up the draft when people are trying to talk some football....stay on topic

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2007   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Nice analysis, KT, and thanks for taking the time to review and post.
Old 09-11-2007   #9
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
Well at least i was thoughtful enough to resond to your drivel. That's something.
Actually, I resonded to your resonce on the fact that I have been on the Mario bandwagon since about January of 2006. If you have not noticed I have been a vocal defender of Mario before we drafted him, since we drafted him and will remain. However, a result is to be viewed and used as a tool for development. In this medium it is for us to have some more acute observations to promote more football dialogue rather than the easy and weak banter regarding other second year players, that all of us like to partake in every once in while. If you cannot decipher between the two you are less credible than I actually thought.
Old 09-11-2007   #10
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let the water walkers go.
Quote:
The fact of the matter is as of today, he has more Td's than Reggie Bush. and he's tied with Saint Vincent. Get over it.
You need to follow your own advice. Nobody brought up the '06 draft or those players except for you.

Mario has more TD's than Bush *squawk!*
Double Barrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #11
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Good points KT. Yeah i am nervous about McKinney as the year progresses.Definately something that needs to be addressed this year. Who knows maybe White can step it up.

Was good to see Travis and Mario do well this game. That was just a great football play to make the interception by Travis. First to recognize he wasn't goingto make it to the QB in time, next to see LJ slipping into the middle of the field and third to have the presence of mind to drop back and make a move on the football.Itwas really good to see the entire team getting stoked about each other's success.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #12
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

kalu was awesome.
Old 09-11-2007   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Good points KT. Yeah i am nervous about McKinney as the year progresses.Definately something that needs to be addressed this year. Who knows maybe White can step it up.
I would prefer Chris White to Flanagan, and they obviously think enough of him to keep him as their third center for fear of losing him permanently to another team.
But the one play where McKinney was manhandled by the big Chiefs DT was down right embarrasing. I dunno if I ever saw McKinney run that fast ? Problem was of course he was moving backwards and you were left with the impression that the Chiefs guy would still be moving him south had there
never been a whisle.
As I recall, Carolina has an outstanding DLine, atleast at DEs. Not sure about the tackles ? Lets hope SM does better Sunday.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
Actually, I resonded to your resonce on the fact that I have been on the Mario bandwagon since about January of 2006. If you have not noticed I have been a vocal defender of Mario before we drafted him, since we drafted him and will remain. However, a result is to be viewed and used as a tool for development. In this medium it is for us to have some more acute observations to promote more football dialogue rather than the easy and weak banter regarding other second year players, that all of us like to partake in every once in while. If you cannot decipher between the two you are less credible than I actually thought.
Well when you're dead wrong, and I think you're dead wrong and the coach from his own mouth says your dead wrong, I'm going to call anyone on it. If I misread your knee jerk to Mario's game sunday I apologise. There is a faction who wishes for him to fail for no other reason than he is not VY or Reggie bush. Including you Vinny...

Y'all want me gone I'll go. You want Walt Disney world in here that's fine by me. Crap is crap. dialoge or not you post crap I'll rise to the bait. You can bet on that.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12
Old 09-11-2007   #15
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well when you're dead wrong, and I think you're dead wrong and the coach from his own mouth says your dead wrong, I'm going to call anyone on it. If I misread your knee jerk to Mario's game sunday I apologise. There is a faction who wishes for him to fail for no other reason than he is not VY or Reggie bush. Including you Vinny...

Y'all want me gone I'll go. You want Walt Disney world in here that's fine by me. Crap is crap. dialoge or not you post crap I'll rise to the bait. You can bet on that.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12
You took a well reasoned, in depth analysis and turned it into a Bush and VY rant by comparing TDs and other inane topics. You got issues and a weak array of football knowledge.
Old 09-11-2007   #16
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think everyone needs to lay off Mario for at least this week as he is in the running for the Freaking DEFENSIVE PLAYER FOR THE WEEK! He is quickly moving in the right direction and showed more promise than fault Sunday. There aere areas of the team where concern is warranted, but please no Mario bashing this week.
Old 09-11-2007   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I would prefer Chris White to Flanagan, and they obviously think enough of him to keep him as their third center for fear of losing him permanently to another team.
But the one play where McKinney was manhandled by the big Chiefs DT was down right embarrasing. I dunno if I ever saw McKinney run that fast ? Problem was of course he was moving backwards and you were left with the impression that the Chiefs guy would still be moving him south had there
never been a whisle.
As I recall, Carolina has an outstanding DLine, atleast at DEs. Not sure about the tackles ? Lets hope SM does better Sunday.
McKinney, without rewatching the game, was embarrassing at times. There was a stretch where he got just manhandled and at one point just turtled while the Chiefs walked into the backfield. As someone on here put it in the Game thread..Schaub might as well have snapped it to himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
I think everyone needs to lay off Mario for at least this week as he is in the running for the Freaking DEFENSIVE PLAYER FOR THE WEEK! He is quickly moving in the right direction and showed more promise than fault Sunday. There aere areas of the team where concern is warranted, but please no Mario bashing this week.
I don't see Mario bashing. He played a real solid game. I think people are critiquing as a football coach would and are trying to figure out how he can use his athleticism and size to the best of his ability. that is what the board is for....football X and Os.
Old 09-11-2007   #18
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52757 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody in this thread is "bashing" Mario. I saw a very good analysis by KT, nothing more, nothing less. If it's a lovefest you want, this isn't the board for you. This place is for real analysis and insight, and I for one thank KT very much for his insightful analysis. Good work!
Old 09-11-2007   #19
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

I watched the game on Superfan. I have to say that is worth $99. You can watch a whole game within 30 minutes. Awesome.

As far as the game is concerned, I wonder why they decided not to show the Special Teams fumble recovery. To me that was the biggest play of the game because the momentum went in our favor after that play.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #20
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Nobody in this thread is "bashing" Mario. I saw a very good analysis by KT, nothing more, nothing less. If it's a lovefest you want, this isn't the board for you. This place is for real analysis and insight, and I for one thank KT very much for his insightful analysis. Good work!
Look, His insight and analysis is his opinion. The truth is that our biggest concern was LJ and our D shut him down. I don't have a problem with being critical with players and their play, but jumping all over another fan because he disagrees is wrong. I'f I were after a lovefest believe me I would have given up on this team by now.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read