Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-11-2007   #1
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 20429 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Up to 17th on Fox Sports Power Rankings

Apologies if already posted, couldn't find it on here...

The Texans beat the Chiefs 20-3, marking the team's first three-game winning streak (dating back to last season) in franchise history. Matt Schaub had a solid debut, guiding the Texans with a 16-for-22 effort, good for 225 yards and a touchdown. Andre Johnson continued where he left off last season with seven catches for 142 yards and a TD, and the young defense kept Larry Johnson to an eye-popping 43 yards. Houston is a potential sleeper team in the AFC this year. If they keep playing the way they did Sunday, we could be talking about them come January.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Up to 17th on Fox Sports Power Rankings

Yea this is reliable. Nearly half of the top 5 has a winning percentage of 0.

It looks like the preseason AP Poll for college football.

How many losing teams are we ranked behind?
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #3
markn
Veteran

Rep Power: 20429 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, but FWIW it's something vaguely positive from the mainstream media for a change...
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #4
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Apologies if already posted, couldn't find it on here...

The Texans beat the Chiefs 20-3, marking the team's first three-game winning streak (dating back to last season) in franchise history. Matt Schaub had a solid debut, guiding the Texans with a 16-for-22 effort, good for 225 yards and a touchdown. Andre Johnson continued where he left off last season with seven catches for 142 yards and a TD, and the young defense kept Larry Johnson to an eye-popping 43 yards. Houston is a potential sleeper team in the AFC this year. If they keep playing the way they did Sunday, we could be talking about them come January.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/powerRankings
I don't really think muck of these rankings , especially when a team loses and moves up 3 spaces ( see Bills), regardless of whether it was a last second loss or not.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #5
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Section: My Living Room
Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

I prefer flying under the radar, but some love is nice for a change.
Mike Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #6
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Rep your way for at least looking through the treads there rook. You just beat out 99% of the knuckle dragers who post in here.
Old 09-11-2007   #7
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Yea this is reliable. Nearly half of the top 5 has a winning percentage of 0.

It looks like the preseason AP Poll for college football.

How many losing teams are we ranked behind?
It is realistic.

Would you rather have the Bears behind the Texans just because they lost and we won?

You have to consider the opponent the teams played and how they played in the loss.
Old 09-11-2007   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, NO being #5 after COMPLETE distruction is enough to disreguard.
Old 09-11-2007   #9
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
It is realistic.

Would you rather have the Bears behind the Texans just because they lost and we won?

You have to consider the opponent the teams played and how they played in the loss.
I think you have to prove how good you are.

You shouldn't be ranked in the top 5 just cuz you lost to a good team.

Just cuz a team was good last year doesn't mean they will be good this year.

Bears & Saints are ranked on last year's record in those rankings.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #10
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

the Panthers are #13

one week at a time, one week at a time

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #11
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Rep Power: 1518 Mike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respectedMike Kerns is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Mike Kerns Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Kerns Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Kerns

Quote:
I think you have to prove how good you are.

You shouldn't be ranked in the top 5 just cuz you lost to a good team.

Just cuz a team was good last year doesn't mean they will be good this year.

I agree AND disagree. Chargers are early Super Bowl favorites. Colts are the defending champs. So, even as much as Id love to see them flop, I think you have to give the Saints the benefit of the doubt. And if the Bears had a QB as good as even David Carr, their defense gave them a chance to win. At least they played a good game, unlike the Saints.

So, are they getting props from last years record? Maybe. But when they drop games to the Raiders and Browns, then I will start preaching about a major drop in these rankings.

Just my .02 cents
Old 09-11-2007   #12
Tedc
Hardheaded

Rep Power: 2838 Tedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respectedTedc is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Vey true. How else would you rank them so early in the season?

I don't rank teams but if I were to do so, i would have to determine where they were last year when it is the first or second game and I would consider their opponent and how well or badly they played. I think the Saints should be lower (IMO) but how much lower would you put them and behind what teams?

I felt, watching the Indy game, that it really didn't matter who they were playing. The Colts were on a roll and were going to win.
Old 09-11-2007   #13
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

These "rankings" by various sites are fun to read, but I've never put a lot of stock in them. I don't think the Texas are quite ready yet to be placed in the middle of the pack of the NFL, but they should be by the end of this season (baring any more injury's of course).

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #14
Mike Kerns
LYSB Podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedc View Post
Vey true. How else would you rank them so early in the season?

I don't rank teams but if I were to do so, i would have to determine where they were last year when it is the first or second game and I would consider their opponent and how well or badly they played. I think the Saints should be lower (IMO) but how much lower would you put them and behind what teams?

I felt, watching the Indy game, that it really didn't matter who they were playing. The Colts were on a roll and were going to win.
Exactly. Just like whoever played the Saints in that first game back at the Superdome wasnt going to stand a chance.
Old 09-11-2007   #15
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

whoa. they mentioned january.
Old 09-11-2007   #16
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sorry but had we lost to Indy by a FG in OT we would be ranked somewhere around Oakland and the Browns. The fact is the National media never watched this game. They read some box score info, assumed that KC just had a terrible day and won't give us any attention until we have 4-1 or 5-2 record.
Old 09-11-2007   #17
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to admit that I enjoy reading these football experts mention our starting LT as J Black days before the game. As I also enjoyed the dedicated analyists refering to our AJ/Moulds tandem as recently as the begining of camp. Believe me they are not watching..... YET!
Old 09-11-2007   #18
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro-Texan View Post
I'm sorry but had we lost to Indy by a FG in OT we would be ranked somewhere around Oakland and the Browns. The fact is the National media never watched this game. They read some box score info, assumed that KC just had a terrible day and won't give us any attention until we have 4-1 or 5-2 record.
After the Colts pal comes the Falcons, Dolphins, The Tacks and the other Kitty Kats the ones we love to beat up on...I say there is a pretty good chance we will start to get some respect.

You are right though, had we loss to the Pats by 3 points, it would have been some crap like how the Pats tried to keep it close or some mess like that.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

FWIW, the Texans are 7-7 in their last 14 games. And of course, all but 1 of those games was with the old #8.

They're certainly better than that team, right?

Are they turning the corner? I don't know. Since only 2 of those wins were on the road, they're going to have to start winning away from Reliant before I start thinking possible playoffs.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #20
samomin
Veteran

Historically Foxsports has usually rated Texans higher than ESPN in their power rankings.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read