Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-10-2007   #1
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default A bullpen Evaluation

Some things I noticed from my seats.

We are not a good enough offensive line to go five wide. Its just not possible. Schaub will get murdered doing that.

Schaub recognizes defenses. I saw Andre isolated on the touchdown play with a safety out of position. I knew instantly thats where the hole was...well, so did schaub. Its a cool thing to watch.

if eddie kennsion was healthy, we get exploited deep. FS in the 1st round next year, and i dont' want to hear any arguements otherwise.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #2
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 30093 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan
Default Re: A bullpen Evaluation

You sure we don't wanna pick up an extra #1 DL to replace Babin? <evil grin>
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398704 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we can go five wide under certain circumstances. Schaub has a quick release, so timing patterns can give defenses fits when trying to cover some of our WRs.

The line will get better over time this season. Same way a bad QB can make an average line look really bad, a competent QB can make the same line look above average. Witness yesterday.
Old 09-10-2007   #4
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07 View Post

We are not a good enough offensive line to go five wide. Its just not possible. Schaub will get murdered doing that.

Schaub recognizes defenses. I saw Andre isolated on the touchdown play with a safety out of position. I knew instantly thats where the hole was...well, so did schaub. Its a cool thing to watch.

if eddie kennsion was healthy, we get exploited deep. FS in the 1st round next year, and i dont' want to hear any arguements otherwise.
I am pretty sure that a QB is a much higher priority than a FS......it's not like we have CC Brown back there playing..........
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
I am pretty sure that a QB is a much higher priority than a FS......it's not like we have CC Brown back there playing..........
No I think we need to go kicker in the first round.
Old 09-10-2007   #6
real

I think we can go five wide. If we did it when Carr was here, surely we can do it now. I look to see more of that, because it plays into our strength. A QB who can read defenses and make quick throws, and targets who can get open.

Look for the offense to gain cohesiveness as the season progresses. Look for us to become really on point as the years progress.

As far as the first round things goes....I'm cool with BPA....whoever that will be...
Old 09-10-2007   #7
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

We won't argue because you probably have inside info telling you that's the position we are targeting

just kidding, couldn't resist.

I would love to see us pick up a top safety in the draft.

Last edited by Texans Pride; 09-10-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-10-2007   #8
amazingandre
All Pro

ya i dont understand why some think 5 wide wont work.....it will play to a huge strength for our team...we have good young wrs who will get way better....aj, walter, jones and IMO mathis will be good if we keep workin on his pass routes...his hands got extremely better at least in preseason....running 5 wide will work.....just give our oline more opp. to prove it to us
amazingandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #9
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IMO, the Texans at some point during the year will be able to go 5 wide without Schaub getting sacked/killed. Probably more important than pass blocking in that situation is the right play called at the right time, the receivers running the right routes, and the QB pulling the trigger on the right receiver. Kubiak + Schaub + Texans receiving core should compensate enough for the offensive line issue. Furthermore, I don't think the offensive line is as bad as some people think because that opinion is tainted due to the old Carr issues.

Just an aside, Indy is starting a rookie LT from Arkansas that they drafted in the 2nd round. I don't hear anyone banging on the Indy offensive line. Every team in the league is going to have issues with the offensive line. There isn't enought talent to go around and the salary cap means players are going to move around a lot. Factor in injuries, you get what I am saying. Which means a top-notch QB is more important than a top-notch offensive lineman. A top-notch QB can make a medoicre offensive line look better, but the same result isn't going to work the other way around.

To your point regarding the draft next year and taking a safety in the 1st round. I would love to get big time safety in the first round. The Texans probably would have loved getting Laron Landry last year in the 1st round.

But, you pick according to your slot and who is available. Point is, the Texans may have to draft someone that is a better player at a different position so they don't have to reach on that position. Example, Amobi Okoye. To some extent, it's a little luck in getting the right guy at the right time/value.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I disagree, we can go 5 wide with Schaub since we did last year successfully with Carr.

Let's see, AJ, Mathis, Walter, Jones and Davis, that sounds really good to me actually.

Just my two pennies.
Old 09-10-2007   #11
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
IMO, the Texans at some point during the year will be able to go 5 wide without Schaub getting sacked/killed. Probably more important than pass blocking in that situation is the right play called at the right time, the receivers running the right routes, and the QB pulling the trigger on the right receiver. Kubiak + Schaub + Texans receiving core should compensate enough for the offensive line issue. Furthermore, I don't think the offensive line is as bad as some people think because that opinion is tainted due to the old Carr issues.

Just an aside, Indy is starting a rookie LT from Arkansas that they drafted in the 2nd round. I don't hear anyone banging on the Indy offensive line. Every team in the league is going to have issues with the offensive line. There isn't enought talent to go around and the salary cap means players are going to move around a lot. Factor in injuries, you get what I am saying. Which means a top-notch QB is more important than a top-notch offensive lineman. A top-notch QB can make a medoicre offensive line look better, but the same result isn't going to work the other way around.

To your point regarding the draft next year and taking a safety in the 1st round. I would love to get big time safety in the first round. The Texans probably would have loved getting Laron Landry last year in the 1st round.

But, you pick according to your slot and who is available. Point is, the Texans may have to draft someone that is a better player at a different position so they don't have to reach on that position. Example, Amobi Okoye. To some extent, it's a little luck in getting the right guy at the right time/value.
I agree with this here, and important to note that I do not have tons of knowledge of the X's and O's. My though is, if we go 5 wide, they will probably have 6 DB's in for their dime package (one safety will have to play a little deep). That leaves probably 3 down and 2 LB's. And even if both LB's bumrush Schaub they will not have time to get to him if he finds the open guy right away. Most likely one of the LB's will drop back and cover a zone.

Or if they play a nickel defense, that will either be a 3rd LB or another DL. In which case one of the LB's will have to drop into coverage.

Last edited by Hardcore Texan; 09-10-2007 at 09:33 PM.
Hardcore Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #12
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

They can do it. That blind-side sack wasn't on the o-line, it was on Schaub for not recognizing the overload, one of the few mistakes he made.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #13
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 12 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan View Post
I agree, but they do have to address it at some point in the draft or FA. This year is looking pretty weak at the safety position, but possibly pretty deep at CB. They could possibly look at a CB to convert to FS.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #14
YellerLotYeller
nice marmot

Rep Power: 188 YellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respectedYellerLotYeller is a quality contributor and well respected

With the 32nd pick of the first round in the '08 draft the Houston Texans select....(insert Safety)

YellerLotYeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #15
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like us to address the secondary during the next draft (early pick) AND during this season. Opposing teams watch film, and by doing so they'll recognize that our secondary, although hardhitting, are real bad at coverage. If we do not address this problem SOON, we'll see ourselves exploited in just a few weeks from now.
Old 09-11-2007   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I would like us to address the secondary during the next draft (early pick) AND during this season. Opposing teams watch film, and by doing so they'll recognize that our secondary, although hardhitting, are real bad at coverage. If we do not address this problem SOON, we'll see ourselves exploited in just a few weeks from now.
Curious.

Just how would you address this during the season?

(Other than just scooping up free agents on the street, I mean.)
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Was this also true when Von Hutchins was in the game? Other than that, I've been a big advocate of getting a FS too. I know we may have to pass on a better whatever to do it, but how many years are we going to go without one? It could be NEVER when a good FS is the BPA in the first or second round for us. Heck, we might have to trade SEVERAL first round D-Linemen for a good FS 4 years down the road, because we'll have like 8 first rounders, lol.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #18
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105876 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't why it should suddenly be news to someone who has been keeping up to date with this team, that there is a weakness in the secondary that will be exploited this season.

It's been said many times that you just can't fix everything at once. Kubiak and Smith have stated on numerous occasions that although the team is getting better, there is still a long way to go. And this was before there were 2 injuries to the safety position.

Just accept the the fact, that yes, the secondary is a weakness this season that will be exploited or taken advantage of. No 'during the season' moves are going to improve the situation to any great extent. As the saying goes, all the good ones are already taken.

If the team is going to win this year, it will be from pressure upfront, and outscoring the opponent. I'm not going to sweat the secondary. It is what it is, for this season.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #19
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I don't why it should suddenly be news to someone who has been keeping up to date with this team, that there is a weakness in the secondary that will be exploited this season.

It's been said many times that you just can't fix everything at once. Kubiak and Smith have stated on numerous occasions that although the team is getting better, there is still a long way to go. And this was before there were 2 injuries to the safety position.

Just accept the the fact, that yes, the secondary is a weakness this season that will be exploited or taken advantage of. No 'during the season' moves are going to improve the situation to any great extent. As the saying goes, all the good ones are already taken.

If the team is going to win this year, it will be from pressure upfront, and outscoring the opponent. I'm not going to sweat the secondary. It is what it is, for this season.
Was there anyone disagreeing with you? I have not seen one person on this site say that we had a strenght at the FS position.

We all have come to the conclusion that the secondary is a weakness.
We have pieces in place for the future and from what I can see all of the posts on this thread are supporting what you are saying not disagreeing.

Not real sure where you were going with this.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #20
buffalo2006
Rookie

Why is nobody talking about putting Boulware in, isn't that why we made the trade for the best DE ever to play football?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read