Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2007   #1
maddogmrb
All Pro

Rep Power: 7744 maddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respectedmaddogmrb is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Grading the Chiefs Game

Outstanding start to the season:

WR - Grade=B+. AJ looks great, Jacoby found the regular season to be tuffer than the pre-season.

TE - Grade=B. Kinda quiet but, Daniels did make a good catch in the 4th..

Oline - Grade=B-. Some break downs, average run blocking, overall good game.

QB - Grade = B+. Missed some passes, made some passes. Missed some reads, made some reads. Nothing to complain about and plenty to be optimistic about.

RB - Grade=B-. Green looks good. Dayne looks just okay ... I don't understand the staff's love affair with Dayne but, he made some good runs and then he didn't make some. Just doesn't look like we have a bona fide 100 yard/game runner. But we are at least adequate or better.

DLine - Grade=B. Mario probably had his best game. ND Kalu playing Super Man on his sack & Travis Johnson playing Andre Johnson on his int! Some of you will complain that my grade is too low for this game but, the Chiefs oline is in dissarray and, while we are making progress, this unit can still step it up a couple more notches. Amobi was quiet and, when I focused on him, was generally being handled fairly easily by the oline. I don't think he is ready to be a starter in this league.

MLB - Grade=B. Solid not great.

OLB - Grade=C+. Solid overall.

CB - Grade=B. Solid, not great.

S - Grade=C+. Improved. Brown made some plays as did Simmons b4 he was hurt. Hutchins looked solid. Hope Boulware is an improvement.

ST - Grade=C+. Our return game was not good and we could never tackle their return man with our 1st wave of defenders.

Coaching - Grade=A. Good job overall.

Excellent victory to open the season but, the Chiefs appear to be sliding at this time and so I'm going to temper my enthusiasm. Our next 2 oponents looked pretty good this week and, if we can manage to get 1 victory out of the next 2 games, that will be a big positive. Looking at the rest of our schedule, I'm saying we will be a 7-9 or 8-8 team which is improved over last year and a step towards the playoffs for next year.

Okay that's my take on it, what's yours?
maddogmrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #2
triplethreat
Veteran

Rep Power: 202 triplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respectedtriplethreat is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Grading the Chiefs Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogmrb View Post
Outstanding start to the season:

WR - Grade=B+. AJ looks great, Jacoby found the regular season to be tuffer than the pre-season.

TE - Grade=B. Kinda quiet but, Daniels did make a good catch in the 4th..

Oline - Grade=B-. Some break downs, average run blocking, overall good game.

QB - Grade = B+. Missed some passes, made some passes. Missed some reads, made some reads. Nothing to complain about and plenty to be optimistic about.

RB - Grade=B-. Green looks good. Dayne looks just okay ... I don't understand the staff's love affair with Dayne but, he made some good runs and then he didn't make some. Just doesn't look like we have a bona fide 100 yard/game runner. But we are at least adequate or better.

DLine - Grade=B. Mario probably had his best game. ND Kalu playing Super Man on his sack & Travis Johnson playing Andre Johnson on his int! Some of you will complain that my grade is too low for this game but, the Chiefs oline is in dissarray and, while we are making progress, this unit can still step it up a couple more notches. Amobi was quiet and, when I focused on him, was generally being handled fairly easily by the oline. I don't think he is ready to be a starter in this league.

MLB - Grade=B. Solid not great.

OLB - Grade=C+. Solid overall.

S - Grade=C+. Improved. Brown made some plays as did Simmons b4 he was hurt. Hutchins looked solid. Hope Boulware is an improvement.

ST - Grade=C+. Our return game was not good and we could never tackle their return man with our 1st wave of defenders.

Coaching - Grade=A. Good job overall.

Excellent victory to open the season but, the Chiefs appear to be sliding at this time and so I'm going to temper my enthusiasm. Our next 2 oponents looked pretty good this week and, if we can manage to get 1 victory out of the next 2 games, that will be a big positive. Looking at the rest of our schedule, I'm saying we will be a 7-9 or 8-8 team which is improved over last year and a step towards the playoffs for next year.

Okay that's my take on it, what's yours?
Nice Grading, Great game,Can't wait untill next week
triplethreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #3
euro-Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1542 euro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedeuro-Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I like your grade, but would give the d-backs a much better grade. Their hard hitting caused turnovers and kept KC from ever really moving forward. I thought the D-line was impressive keeping LJ's stats down. That was the one thing I was reall worried about. I thought Dayne was better than okay. The penalties are what cost us the most. I hope we can work that out befoer the next game. Overall, the team had me a little nervous at first but played real hard for four quarters.
Old 09-09-2007   #4
real

Texans had a good game.

BUT, I was a little dissapointed with some things.

Nothing that can't be worked on, but overall we played a solid game.
Old 09-09-2007   #5
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

man mario kicked bootay and our O was nice, dayne played some today.

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #6
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Great game guys! You definatly proved you have come along way with the new coach!

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #7
The Dream
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 The Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of FamerThe Dream is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Coaching - Grade=A.
I agree with everything accept this one....I didn't like some of the play calling early on, especially on 3rd down when we'd throw those weak 3 yard patterns...overall I'd give them a B +
The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2007   #8
JohnsonFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 0 JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan JohnsonFan
Send a message via AIM to JohnsonFan Send a message via Skype™ to JohnsonFan

coaching- A+
Offense- B+
Defense- B
Special Teams- B
Overall- A

PS. Yall wanna mess lets mess
JohnsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #9
real

Offense-C
Defense-B
Special teams- B+
Coaching- A-
Old 09-09-2007   #10
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
Texans had a good game.

BUT, I was a little dissapointed with some things.

Nothing that can't be worked on, but overall we played a solid game.
What did you not like?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
What did you not like?
The offense wasn't as sharp as I'd have liked them to be...

But...it was the first regular season game and we ae just going to continue to grow in that area...

I thought Schaub made a terrible mistake in the red zone throwing that pick, and I think he ran into a sack....He did a great job holding on to the ball though each time he was hit....

I liked how the recievers performed....I think we gave up a little too much pressure up the middle....

My main gripes are with the offense, but this being Matt's first official start and all the new pieces we have, it was almost expected...

It wasn't a terrible game, but like I said we still have a lot of work to do...
Old 09-09-2007   #12
ccdude730
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 129 ccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respectedccdude730 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ccdude730

offense: B-
defense: B+
special teams: C
coaching: A-

Overall: B+
Old 09-09-2007   #13
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17946 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

Man it started out ugly, but we got the win. Hopefully we don't see too many turnovers from MS or AJ in the future.
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #14
Noblesse Oblige
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 Noblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNoblesse Oblige is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I grade them a W across the board.
Old 09-09-2007   #15
real

I think folks are grading our special teams TOO low. No we didn't have any huge returns, but that's not all that special teams is about.

We were perfect on field goals. Caused a big turnover. Matt Turk punted really well. We gave up that one semi-big return, but for the most part their return yards were limited.

We were very solid on special teams today. You gotta atleast give them a B.

Last edited by real; 09-09-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2007   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

WR - Grade=B+. I thought we looked good. We had that fumble that I'm not happy about and I'm wondering about the miscommunication between Schaub and AJ on the TD. Some other guys need to step up more. But overall, a very good job.

TE - Grade=C. An OK job.

Oline - Grade=C+. We had some issues that we need to fix. Pitts made some mistakes, McKinney got schooled a couple of times, and Salaam made a mental mistake or two as well. We have to play better than this against stronger competition.

QB - Grade = B-. I expect Schaub to play better than this. This is only his third start and he's got some growing into the position to do.

RB - Grade=B. Green showed flashes but padded his stats at the end of the 1st half. We were able to pound the hell out of the ball to kill the clock at the end, though. That was sweet.

DLine - Grade=B. I'd still like more pressure out of these guys but in the second half, they looked like a different d-line. Hopefully, that d-line will show up for complete games in the future.

MLB - Grade=B. Demeco being Demeco.

OLB - Grade=B-. Morlon and Danny both made some good plays.

S - Grade=B. The safeties were hitting and knocking balls loose. That was nice to see. I'm worried about our depth at safety with Jason gone.

ST - Grade=B. While our returns weren't great, Turk got us some good field position. Kris made his shots. Demeco forced the fumble on that punt return and Charlie recovered it. Beauty.

Coaching - Grade=A. Good job overall. The team was ready to play and when bad things happened, they didn't snowball. That was great to see. It was a great game to watch.

I'm feeling good about this year but let's see how we play in Carolina next week.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think folks are grading our special teams TOO low. No we didn't have any huge returns, but that's not all that special teams is about.

We were perfect on field goals. Caused a big turnover. We gave up that one big return, but for the most part their return yards were limited.

We were very solid on special teams today. You gotta atleast give them a B.
I agree with you here. I liked the special teams today.

I have to give big props to the D-Line. Travis Johnson came through as did Mario Williams. It looks like these last two first round selections (before Okoye) might pay off more than most people thought. That interception is probably the best play Travis Johnson has made as a pro to date and coming on the first game is a really good thing. He was in a battle all training camp and to have a first game like that is really uplifting. Mario played well and was pressuring the QB in some way on alot of the Chiefs passing downs. The sacks might not have been textbook sacks but from what I saw he was rewarded for how well he was pressuring the QB throughout the day. I thought his consistancy throughout the whole day was much improved from last season.

The passing attack looked pretty strong. My only gripe was Walter didn't make many plays...although I was not paying attention to his blocking very much. He looked like he was open really only on one play down the middle of the field but the DB for the Chiefs made a nice play on the ball.

These are my grades:

Overall: B+
Passing Attack: B+
Rushing Attack: B- (was not overally impressed by Ron Dayne; I wish one of the younger guys could have played a little in relief.)
Offense: B
Rushing Defense: B+
Passing Defense: B+
Defense: A- (Created alot of turnovers and really took advantage of the weaknesses in the Chiefs offense.
Special Teams: B
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007   #18
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Schaub made a terrible mistake in the red zone throwing that pick...
The throw wasn't great, but Schaub made the correct decision. If your Pro Bowl WR is in the endzone with single coverage...give him a chance to make a play.

Despite getting pressure, Schaub hung in the pocket and made good reads and throws. I'm very satisfied with his performance and I'd give him the offensive game ball.
Old 09-09-2007   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 330323 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought Schaub made a terrible mistake in the red zone throwing that pick
The terrible decision being not compensating enough on effort for throwing on the run to his left? Cause otherwise I am with Lucky--place that ball two feet higher and it looks like the Jacoby Jones pre-season TD in Dallas.
Old 09-09-2007   #20
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 118533 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The throw wasn't great, but Schaub made the correct decision. If your Pro Bowl WR is in the endzone with single coverage...give him a chance to make a play.

Despite getting pressure, Schaub hung in the pocket and made good reads and throws. I'm very satisfied with his performance and I'd give him the offensive game ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The terrible decision being not compensating enough on effort for throwing on the run to his left? Cause otherwise I am with Lucky--place that ball two feet higher and it looks like the Jacoby Jones pre-season TD in Dallas.
I agree with you guys in principle, but Matt underthrew his receiver when Andre had the back position. It looked like a bad decision from the Bull Pen. Other than that, I was pleased with Schaub today. For the claim earlier that he "ran into" a sack..McKinney got badly beat and pushed his man into MS AFTER the pocket had broken down.

Bottom line - The Texans didn't look "spectacular", but looked good winning a game (finally) that they "should" have won. After so many games that looked good till the last few minutes (under Capers), it was refreshing to see the Texans look like a team that knew how to finish!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read